Chapter 17

Memory Loss


"So you are basically telling me that your organization is under the whole town? That's..crazy, Youngjae" I looked at him "I know right?" He shrugged his arms as he was passing by random people in the street. We were walking at one of the many alleys in the city. Lots of people walking around us, most of them going on the same direction and some others walking at a high pace. Around us where different kinds of stores, clothing stores, restaurants, even bars. Their design, of course, was nothing like i was used to, they were a little old-styled for me. But that was normal here. And i don't mind it either. Youngjae took my hand and we turned to the left. Now we were on another alley that was full with light signs. "Everyone here know about the organization, they know that is somewhere under the city but they don't know where exactly. And they should never know. The truth is that we have three facilities, one in the water, one in Busan and the central, which is here." "You have facilities underwater?" "Yeah. A submarine..long story. But anyway, you asked me where our base was and i gave you answer. Now about the guards...well, they are everywhere." I raised my eyebrow in question. "Really now?" "Yeah...most of the guards are robots, you can easily spot them. But, except for robots , there are also real people. Those are responsible to maintain the citizens. They always carry weapons with them, think of them as policemen but they are allowed to shoot at people whenever they want to. Over the past month, more than three thousands people have died because of them." I kept looking around as Youngjae was talking to me. Sure he was talking about something serious and i should focus on our conversation but my mind seemed to be wandering around. My eyes were absorbing the images around me. People walking restless on the streets, shopkeepers were standing outside of their stores waiting for customers to come in, children were playing with a dirty ball. Everything was quite different from what i was used to, indeed i was feelling that i was put to a travel machine and went back in time. The citizens of Daejeon were nothing like those in New Seoul, their main difference was the money and the piece of technology they got. From time to time i caught myself thinking about Hyosung,she was my only friend in New Seoul, or about that mysterious roomate i had,Jaehyo, i still have his jacket. But every memory i have with them, belong to the past. Now, i have a new life, next to five guys that i barely knew, i am in a different city and i slowly start to remember things that i never experience. I was put in a weird situation indeed. My glance suddenly caught something familiar some meters away from us. Yongguk hyung and Himchan hyung were walking in a different alley from us. Both of them were talking and laughing and a sense of jealous was, out of the blue, dominating inside of me. I poked Youngjae's arm and pointed at Yongguk and Himchan hyung "Isn't this Yongguk hyung? And next to him Himchan hyung? "Hmmm?" He turned his head towards them "Indeed...but what they are doing here? I thought they would supervise the water tank filling. Anyway, let's go to the reataurant i told you, shall we? " I looked at him nodding my head without really know when he told me about the restaurant.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After walking for some minutes we got inside a restaurant which Youngjae told me was one of the best around here. It wasn't a fast-food, it looked more like a traditional styled restaurant, furnished only with wooden furniture. There wasn't almost any people inside, only on one table were two people who were calmy eating. Youngjae sat at an empty table and i followed. "It's quite empty here." I told him looking around. "It is. At this hour most of the people are on their work. Well.. not exactly their work. They work for the United Government" "Really? It doesn't really surprised me though." Youngjae nodding his head in agreememt. "The younger and more capable men work at the mines in addition to older men and the women who work at robot production. Isn't it ironic? They built their murderers" As soon as i heard his last comment i chuckled. Indeed, it was like they were contributed to their death. I turned my head to the right as a man, probably the waiter judging by his white uniform, approached us and handed us the menu. "Hello" He smiled at us. "When you are ready to order-" "No" Youngjae raised his hand "We are ready. We will have chicken with rice. And some water please. Thank you" The waiter smiled once again at us and after taking back the menu he left us. "Why you didn't let me open the menu?" Youngjae looked at me. "Believe me. The chicken with rice is the safest choice we have. You will see soon why. Anyway...what we were talking about?" "About the citizens job, but don't worry i understood it. I want to ask you something else...something about Himchan hyung." When Youngjae heard Himchan's name he raised his eyebrow. "Himchan hyung? Daehyun, you know that after you learnt about the marriage you talk a lot about him, don't you?" I huffed and looked directly at the table. "I know Youngjae and i am quite confused with myself too. I just..wamt to ask if he is still in love with me. You know, when we were at the back of the truck yesterday, the moment we passed through that digital wall he hugged me and closed my eyes. We were in that possition for some minutes." Youngjae, unspoken, was looking at me with his arms crossed and before opening his mouth to talk he took a deep breath. "Daehyun...i will try to tell you this as nicer as i can. Himchan hyung married you. He loved you ok? How can you ask such things? You are just being stupid. I understand that you don't love him, but asking if your husband or ex-husband i don't know which you prefer, loves you is..." Youngjae stopped talking as he seemed to be out of words. "Wrong? I don't know. If you are disgusted by his action-" "I am not" I felt the urge to stop him. I felt that he misunderstood my question. "I didn't say that i am disgusted. No i am not, i just...i am not sure. I feel like my feelings for him are like a rollercoster. Some times i hate him but some other i am ok with him. " "But do you love him? " I raised my head to meet his glance. "No, i don't." I answered him without really realising what i was saying. "Fine. Let's just leave this conversation here, ok? " 


Αt the right time, the waiter once again approached our table with a tray on his hands. "Here is you order" He left two plates of plain rice, on for me and one for Youngjae, and after he placed the plate with the chicken and the glassea of water at the table he took out of his white pocket a syrigne. I looked at him curious but at the same time suspicious. "Hey what are you-" Youngjae put his finger close to his mouth beckoning me to stop talking. The unsuspected waiter literaly did an injection to the chicken in front of us and after wishing us to enjoy our meal he left. "What did just happened Youngjae? Why did he-" "Well...you know that here the ground here is non-fertile. It's imposible for plants to grow not to mentiom that is also imposible for animals to be fed. The United Government sent here substitute οf meat, such us this chicken accompanied with syrignes to give flavor to the meat. It's weird..but we have no option. The chicken is quite good,don't worry eat." Youngjae smiled at me and started to eat. "I see..." I took my chopsticks and start to eat too. Youngjae was right, the chicken was actually quite delicious. "When we eat,we will go to the base. Maybe i will give you a small tour too, ok?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The seconds became minutes and the minutes hours, and without really realising it i was with Youngjae at the infamous base of their organization. The alleys i have to change so i can go here were a lot, the "trip" from the city to the base was quite long. Except from the alleys, i had to go to an underpass and type a code at some rocks that were there. After that, i was , finally, inside their base. As soon as we were inside i followed Youngjae through a long dark corridor. At the end of it was an enormous ironed door which could be open only via eye-scanner. And then, after the eye-scanning we were inside an immense room with people walking here and there. All of them were wearing the same black uniform that Namjoon was wearing earlier this morming. Youngjae explained me that this was the main room, that's why there were people walking around. The room was polygon-shapped with a dark navy blue door at almost every side. Immediatelly, at the center of the room i spotted Zelo and Jongup who were wearing the same black uniform, Yongguk hyung and Himchan hyung, who were also wearing the exact same uniform with the exception that there was some gold at their shoulders. We both approached them. "Hey, look who finally decided to come back." Jongup told us and then laughed. "Sorry we were a little distracted. We eat and then we came here. It's a long way and you all know that. Anyway i promised Daehyun to show him around. Do you want us to do something or are we free? " "You are free, Youngjae." Yongguk answered to him. "For now show him only the first floor. To be more exact only the practice room, the refectory and his room." "Yes sir." Youngjae nodded his head. His behavior towards Yongguk was a little different, more formal that i was used to see. Maybe here Yongguk was superior and Youngjae has to be more serious. "I will come with you too." I heard Himchan's voice next to me. "I just want to make sure that you will not show him something that he should not see."

 

"And this..is the practice room" Youngjae unlocked the double-door and we all went inside. As soon as i saw the room with its equipmemt a memory suddenly popped up to my memory.      - "Come on. You hit like a chick. Hit harder." I was holding the black punching bag while Himchan was kicking it. I was trying to learn him some moves from muay thai, because , after all, he asked me to. But he didn't seem to be a good student. "You know Daehyun, in the army we don't learn martial arts, excuse my inability. But i can kick quite hard. I just don't want to hurt you."  I looked at him and then held the punching bag tighter. "Stop your excuses. Try me, and- " Without any hesitation Himchan kicked the punching bag harder making me go some steps back. "See? I can. Don't underestimate me." He hugged the punching bag that i was holding and  reached  to give me a kiss.