Chapter 9

Memory Loss

After the dinner everyone were in their rooms. By now most of them were surely asleep,or at least Zelo was -whose real name was Junhong,something that i learnt during the dinner-. I was sitting in the camp bed,occuping myself with the new smartphone Yongguk bought for me. That was a present for me,mostly because he was feeling qualms for throwing my phone into the ocean. The smartphone had a sim card with a new number and of course all the phone numbers of the five guys were in. I couldn't have access to the internet neither i could call someone else except from them,but at least i had something to kill my time. When we were all done with the food,Yongguk,as the leader of the group,announced that we were going to have a meeting at the console room,they will not only give me some more information about the reason i was here but also he will tell us about a plan. Youngjae told me that we wouldn't stay here for too long,because their base was outside the wall. They were part of an organization which wanted equality for both of the citizens,inside and outside the wall. So i guesed that the plan was made for our way out. All those information,ideas,new clues,my personal thoughts,i had all saved them at the pnone,if i really had a memory loss,as Youngjae told me,i should be carefull with what they had told me or i assumed. As i was reading what i had written,just to make sure that everything were in the smartphone,i heard some noises,like footsteps,outside of the room which were soon vanished. First i thought it was a intruder,but that would be almost impossible as the house was highly protected,so i guessed it was probably someone from us. I found my excuse to leave from the room,i heard something and i wanted to check it. I left the room and walked slowly towards the starcase. All the lights were off,that's why i was using the flashlight of my phone,so i could move around the enormous house. As soon as i was at the grand floor,i checked every room that was there: the living room,the kitchen and the dining room -i was going to check also the weapon room but it was locked- but there was no one. As i was walking back to my room,disappointed,i remembered the training room which was located under the grand floor. It was possible that someone was there. And my assumption was right,someone was at the "doctor's room" at the large training room. I knew it because the door was opened and a bright light was coming out. As i was approaching the door my steps were slowler and i could feel my heart beating faster,sure i guessed that it was someone of us but that was just an assumption,it could be anyone. When i was exactly next to the door and took a quick peak inside the room. The image of Himchan sitting at the examination bed,with his back towards me thankfully brought my heart beats at it's usual rate. "Hyung,what are you doing here? It's almost midnight." I stepped inside the room looking at him who was still didn't turn his head.

"Leave Daehyun,i'm fine."

"Are you sure? It's late at night you know,why are you here if you are fine?" I came closer to him despite his deep voice almost ordering me the opposite. I touched his shoulder and i was shocked when i saw my blood inside thin tubes which were sticked at his arm. I knew it was my blood because i recognised the bag that it was inside. "That's my blood! Why are you using it?" I grabbed the tubes and when i was ready to pull them,i saw Himchan looking at me without any reaction on his face. He was looking tired,weak and he was surely paler. "I need it Daehyun,please" He touched my hands,removing them from the tubes. "Are you..begging me? Hyung,why do you need my blood?" He took a deep breath and looked down. "I..i don't know how to explain this. I need it,ok?" Himchan, abruptly,raised his head. "I told Youngjae to take some blood from you,because we have the same blood type. You will not need blood,don't worry. We will protect you. Even if you need blood some time in the future,i will make sure that you will have it. Please,leave me now alone." I took the wheeled chair,that was next to the office and i sat near to Himchan.

"Well..if you have a problem then i don't mind using it. But,tell me what is wrong? What do you have?"

"Why? You care about me? You don't even know me" He looked at me with his eyebrow raised.

"Yeah,but that's totally irrelevant. Maybe i care more than you think. Now tell me."

"Aish,Daehyun. I will tell you but..promise me that you will not laugh,or at least you will believe me." I nodded my head as i was impatiently waited for a answer. "I am a vampire" I remained still,looking at him without knowing how should i react. He was looking at me without saying a word,probably waiting for an answer,but i wasn't sure what to tell. He could be indeed a vampire,they told me a lot of crazy things this day,which i believed them,he possibly was telling the truth.

"R-Really? Are you a vampire?"

"What? Of course not. I didn't expect you would believe that." He hide a laugh behind his closed lips. "Aish hyung,don't play pranks with me. I just wanted to know if you are ok." I stood up from the chair trying to look pissed,because i was ashamed to tell him that i believed his lie. "Come on Dae,don't be mad at me." He grapped my hand tightly,without looking at me. "Thank you for caring for me,i know that you don't like me but it means a lot for me." I wasn't used with this side of Himchan,a more kind side,but i could admit that i liked it. "I care for those who care about me and i know you care about me hyung. You can tell me about this incident when you feel like it." He smiled at me while nodding his head.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning we were all inside the console room,sitting at a large round table that was in the middle of the room. Next to me was Youngjae,and next to him was Zelo. Suprisingly,opposite of me was Himchan,i expected he would be sitting as far as he could away from me -especially after the incident last night- but he wasn't. Next to him was Jongup and Yongguk,who was holding in his hands a blue folder. I saw this room yesterday when Youngjae was touring me around the house. It didn't have something special,just the ordinary things a console room would have in 2172,a projector,some high-tech pieces of techology etc. The only thing that made me suspicious was that they didn't have Rina,as i knew Rina was quite infamous for its efficient work around the house,after all she was a "personal assistance". Maybe they had her,but she was on deactivation. "So,first i'm going to start with Daehyun" I looked at Yongguk,who just said my name.

"What about me hyung?"

"Yesterday i told you that today on this meeting,i am going to tell you some more things about you" He stood up from his chair and after pressing some buttons on the touch screen that was embedded in the table,a holographic display appeared in the center of the table. The holographic display was showing a picture of me that i have never took before with some information next to the photo. "How do you have a picture like this? I never had this picture" I looked at Yongguk worried about his answer.

"Daehyun let me finished first and after i will answer your question ok?"

"Yongguk stop talking like a teacher and go on. We don't have time to waste" Himchan was looking at Yongguk with his hands crossed. Of course Himchan came back to his sassy and impatient attitude. "You are right. Anyway,Daehyun,as you can see at the holographic display you aren't just a normal citizen." He sat back to his wheeled chair and continued talking. "Let me go on. Your real name isn't Jung Daehyun,that was a name we gave to you when we first met you. Your real name is something that unfortunately we don't know,neither you when you had your memory. You were trained by the CIA at the age of 4 and after turning 16 you started working for them. As you can guess you were an American citizen and probably your parents were Chinese not Koreans,because when they found you,you were speaking chinese. That's not really important,most important is this." Yongguk,again,touched some buttons at the touch screen and the holographic display changed,now it was showing a list with the tittle "Missions". "You were part of various missions with the code name "Promethus",which means the man who first thinks and after takes an action. Your name wasn't coincidental,you were indeed provident and prudent,most of your missions were successfully completed. You were quite impressive even though you were very young. Youngjae told you about the third world war right? Yes,you were a part of it. I can't explain right now how you contributed,it's an information that you don't need anyway,but what you need to know is that the CIA took advantage of you. How? Some months before the war burst out,you had a mission to kill a man in Jordan. But what you didn't know was that this man who you were supposed to kill,was trying to deter the war by making a formula that was going to save the humanity. He was trying to make an element that would replace water. Thankfully he did it,he invented "aphthartus",which is exactly like water,thanks to you. You not only let him live but also you protected the man during the war. You did a good job Daehyun but unfortunatelly the man was found dead and the formula was stolen. The United Government had the formula and started to produce water. You know Daehyun,you think that the water right now is plenty but the truth is that you drink aphthartus not water. Most of the water around the world isn't drinkable. After the war ended,the United Government who had the formula,built an enormous city,New Seoul,in which were allowed to live only the rich. They also live there people who were coming from middle class,but those people live in New Seoul as workers at factories or generally as people who have a monthly income under 1,000,000 won. All the citizens had one thing in common,which was memory loss. There are a lot of reasons why the United Government wanted to have a city only for those people and its citizens with memory loss,the most important one is that they wanted to form something like an Aryan race,something that Hitler tried when he was alive. They put you inside the city Daehyun,because the government thinks of you as a lethal weapon. You had done a lot,they need you."

"If they need me why they are trying to kill me now?"

"I told you not to interrupt me. They want you dead because you started to remember things. Before they erase your memory you were their number one opponent,with your memory erased they could use you however they wanted to. You are with us because we not only protect you as you know but also you are a part of our organization,we have to protect every member. Now,what are your questions?" I looked not only at Yongguk but everyone in they room who seemed to be quite relaxed like they have listen all those before. I didn't knew what to ask,all those information were too much to believe them but at the same time they were believable. Those information could explain a lot,especially my nightmares,but one question had stuck in my mind. "How do i know all of you? You din't refer to how i met you. No one of you is a spy. Who are you?" Yongguk huffed and pressed a button of the touch screen.

"That's something that i am not allowed to answer. Not now. Be patient Daehyun,soon you will learn more things."

"There are more that i should know?" My eyes almost popped out when i heared that they hide more things from me. They already told me some crazy things,it was impossible that they had more to reveal. "Daehyun,relax ok?" I heard Youngjae next to me talking.

"I know that what Yongguk hyung told you seems to be weird,but they are true."

"And what now? What are we going to do?" I turn my head to see Yongguk,who stood up from his chair and came next to me. "Remember the guy who came to see me the first night? His code name is Kai,he is our tipster. He told me that we should leave this house as soon as possible,the United Government is coming for us. We must leave the New Seoul and go back to our organization outside the wall."