Birthday Wish (Kryber)

Intertwined

October 24

It's a day that Krystal is supposed to be celebrating. A day she's supposed to be happy and smiling. It's her birthday after all. But here she is, moping at the veranda of her apartment, staring blankly at the beautiful city lights. Normally she would admire it with him. But he's not with her right now, which makes the beautiful city lights seem dull and lifeless for her.

It's always like this. To Krystal, it's normal for him to forget. He always does. But that doesn't make her love him less. She would always make herself feel better at times like this by thinking that the guy is working hard for the both of them, which works, but not all the time. Right now for example.

While still deep in her thoughts, Krystal was startled when someone from behind her covered both of her eyes. A guess who game? Right now?

Well as for actually sneaking in her apartment without her knowing, there's only two persons who can do that. Those two persons who knows her apartment's door code. Her boyfriend and her best friend.

Krystal already knew the answer. She knows this person's hand damn too well. It's the hands that would always poke her sides, would always pinch her nose, the hands she would hold so tight whenever they're in a crowd of people, the hands that would always be around her or pats her back whenever she feels sad or disappointed, most specially, the hands that would always wipe every tear that falls from her. This person is the only one who would think of doing this to her.

"Amber." Krystal calls out with now a genuine smile on her lips.

Hearing the right name, the older girl now takes her hands off Krystal's eyes. As the latter turns around to look at her best friend, she saw her brightly smiling. It's that epidemic smile that automatically makes her smile as bright as well.

"Happy Birthday Princess!" Amber enthusiastically says while holding up a chocolate cake filled with candles. "Guess how many candles?"

Krystal just chuckles at her friend's innocence. The answer would actually be quite obvious. "It has 22 candles on top of it, right?" Yep. Co'z she's turning 22 years old today.

Amazement instantly crept to Amber's face, thinking that her friend is somewhat of a genius or something by knowing the number of candles without actually counting it. "Wow. How'd you do that?"

Now Krystal bursts out laughing. She always wonders how Amber can always make her laugh even when she's so down. Maybe it's her best friend's innocence? Cuteness? Well it doesn't matter, she's just thankful for it. "Stupid llama. It's obvious. I'm turning 22 so you would also put 22 candles."

"Why didn't I think that you would guess that so easily." Amber cutely pouts as her plan to confuse the girl with the number of candles failed. But instantly, her face brights up again. "Anyways, blow the candles and make a wish!"

Wish.

What would Krystal want exactly?

The younger girl now thinks deeply. She closes her eyes as she silently wishes in her head. 'I wish that I would always be with the person I love and loves me as much as I do as well.' 

With that, she blew all 22 candles at once.

"Whooooo! Yaaaaaaay! You're officially 22 years old!" Amber cheers, which made Krystal smile brightly again. "There you go. You should always smile rather than mope around frowning. Smiling makes you look less old." She jokes earning her a hit on the shoulder from Krystal. Amber hates seeing Krystal frown, or seeing her sad. It breaks her heart every time she does. And today, she knows exactly why she found her like that earlier. It's because of that bastard.

Maybe because of the mention of her state earlier, Krystal's smile slowly began to fade. "You know, I just wish he was here. If he really cannot celebrate with me, then at least a call or text would suffice."

Amber hates him. The guy always disappoints Krystal. He always makes her sad and cry. But Krystal loves him nonetheless, which even though Amber doesn't know why, she still supports her friend because she knows what it feels like. Loving someone so much that you don't even care if it hurts you as long as you see the person you love happy.

"He's always busy." The older girl said. Sarcasm evident in her voice. 

Amber's actions earned a frown from Krystal. "He IS busy Amber." 

As much as Amber wants to say everything that she finds wrong about her best friend's  boyfriend, she stops herself. Whatever she says, the younger girl would side on her boyfriend anyways, she would always love him, not her.

The older girl just gives up on the topic as to not upsetting the younger girl any further. "Tsk! You're frowning again! Now you look like you're in your early 30's." Amber starts to tease Krystal again. Now, the latter's frown turns to a grin. "Hey, you're even older than me! So that makes you look like you're in your late 30's!"

They're always like this, bickering and teasing each other. But both of them doesn't mind. As for Amber, as long as she see's that genuine smile and laughter from Krystal, she doesn't mind any of the teasing or 'bullying' from the younger girl.

"Anyways, wanna go for a drive?" Amber suddenly suggests. 

"Really Am? Would that be okay?" It's obvious that Krystal likes the idea, but she worries for her friend because of the fact that Amber is tired from work as a director, and she's sure that the llama will be working earlier than the rising sun tomorrow as well. But Amber was so sure and didn't hesitate to answer. "Of course! It beats just celebrating here right? It'll be more fun, and also we could eat at a nice restaurant! My trea—"

"Wait no." Krystal counters, which surprised Amber. Krystal never denies a free meal. "I'll be paying tonight since it's my birthday."

"Well that's a first!"

"You're lucky you made my mood better tonight stupid." Krystal grins as she now starts to walk out of the apartment, leaving Amber smiling as the latter mumbles to herself. "Making you smile is what makes me smile as well Princess."

"Hey! C'mon stupid! We don't have all night you know?!" Krystal shouts from outside.

"Yeah yeah! Give me the car keys! I'm driving!"

---

A day's shoot is once again finished and the tired Amber is now back in her apartment. As soon as she saw her bed, she immediately plops down, not caring if she's still in her sweaty work clothes.

"Now, to sleep." She mumbles. But as fast as she was to jump on her bed, a phone call suddenly startled her. "Well maybe NOT to sleep."

To her surprise, it's Krystal.

"Yah. Why are you still up? It's already like 10 p.m."

"Amber..." 

The older girl immediately sat up when she heard Krystal's voice over the phone. It's not her usual happy or annoyed tone, it's that low and cracking sad one. That tone in her voice that breaks her heart every time she hears it. She already know that Krystal is on the verge of tears.

"I'm here at Gwanghwamun. There are actually quite some people here..." Krystal manages to chuckle. "Yes there are people here... But I'm alone... I'm all alone Am.." 

And that's when Amber heard the restrained sobs of the younger girl. To hell with sleeping, Amber thinks to herself. All her fatigue earlier disappeared and was replaced with worry. Krystal needs her now. "Stay there and wait for me, I'll be there in a flash. Okay Princess?" Amber says in a calm and soothing tone as to comfort the younger girl.

"O-okay Am.." Was Krystal's last words over the phone. With that, Amber rushed outside her apartment and into her car. She drove as fast as she can, and as she got to the place, her eyes began to wander in search for Krystal.

A few more minutes of searching and she finally found the girl sitting on the staircase. She quickly ran to her and slowly came to a stop when she was already in front of her. "Krys."

Hearing that comforting voice, Krystal looked up, and as soon as she saw her best friend, she quickly stood up and hugged her tightly.

"Thanks for coming Am..."

"No worries Princess." Amber said as she hugged her back. "What are you doing here? It's already late."

Now, the sobs that the girl was holding back earlier poured out as she burried he head on Amber's shoulder. "H-he st-stood me up. I've been here si-since 5 in the afternoon.  He promised that he'll come see me. I even called earlier and he got mad and said that I should wait just a bit more because he's busy. Now he texted me that he won't be able to come." Krystal's breathing now became ragged as she tries her best to speak in between sobs while Amber continues to listen and comfort her with the hug. "I-I know tha-that I should be used to it by now. How he's alway so busy. But I actually hoped that he would make time for today... It's- it's our anniversary after all."

With what the girl just told her, Amber's hatred for the guy grew even more. How dare that guy make Krystal wait for 5 whole hours. But even though her blood is literally boiling in anger right now, she sets it aside and tends to the younger girl. "Stop thinking about that too much right now. You've already been here for hours and he is all you've been thinking about. What about yourself? Have you eaten yet?"

Krystal shakes her head on Amber's shoulder in response.

"See?" Amber sighs. "C'mon, I'll take you home and we'll eat dinner."

With that, Krystal breaks away from the hug, tries to smile, and nods to Amber.

---

Both of them now ended up in Krystal's apartment. The latter resting and trying to compose herself on the couch while Amber rummages through the kitchen.

The llama knows that she has terrible cooking skills, her actual plan was to just treat Krystal to a meal outside, but the latter refused again and said that she already wanted to go home. So Amber has no choice but to cook for the younger girl. She just hopes that she won't burn anything.

As Amber was in the process of 'cooking' kimchi fried rice, the only edible thing she can do as of her skills right now, she hears footsteps coming from behind her. She momentarily stops what she's doing to turn and see Krystal standing behind her, looking much better than the state she was earlier. "You need something Princess?" Amber asks, going back to whatever she's frying on the pan.

That's when the older girl suddenly felt a hug from behind. "I'm really lucky that I have you Am... Thank you."

Krystal was never like this as Amber remembers. She was the one who struggles to talk about how she's thankful to her or any of those cringe worthy things for that matter, so this is definitely a first. It's something that made Amber's heart swell and warm all over. And she needs not to say anything for the younger girl to know that she will always be there for her.

"Will you be going home after that?" Krystal asks, still hugging Amber.

Amber nods in confirmation. "I'll just make sure you eat something."

Selfish as it may sound, Krystal doesn't want to let Amber go. She doesn't want feel alone again like earlier. Amber's presence always comforts her, makes her mood better, makes her feel safe and actually worth being loved. Things that her boyfriend can't make her feel. She always thought that since her boyfriend always says that he loves her, then it's true and sincere, so she thinks she's loved. But that's just how it is, she thinks of it but never feels it. "Please stay. Just spend the night here."

"But Krys—"

"I know this sounds so selfish. But I need you right now Am. Please stay."

Amber cannot resist. Her heart can't. She always gives in to the younger girl's request even though she has this thing called 'job'. She always tries to work something out if she can because for her, the younger girl comes first. She knows that Krystal is aware of this as well, but this is the first time that the girl actually asked something like this so directly. 

Krystal never abuses how Amber treats her so special and different from others. So she actually felt so guilty in making Amber stay.

"Arraseo, arraseo." Amber finally submits to Krystal's request. She breaks away from the hug and turns to Krystal. "Now, your dinner is ready. Go sit by the table and I'll bring it there."

Suddenly curious of the dish, Krystal asks. "What is that?"

"You'll eventually eat that later so don't ask!" An embarrassed Amber said as she pushes Krystal out of the kitchen and into the dining area.

Few more minutes after Krystal sat down, Amber came holding a plate with what seems like Kimchi fried rice and an sunny side up egg on top of it. "There. I know I'm not a good cook and you're a picky eater, but you need to fill up your stomach so just it up and eat." The older girl said, shyness evident in her now what mostly looks like her ignorant face.

Seeing how embarrassed her friend is, Krystal hides a chuckle. She already prepared and convinced herself that she would eat and finish whatever Amber makes because she knows how her friend worked hard in making it. As the younger girl takes her first spoonful, she can see how nervous Amber looks. And to the former's surprise, the dish that the older girl made, though looks a bit weird, definitely tastes great. "Mashiseo!"

Unable to believe what the younger girl said, Amber quickly turns to Krystal wide eyed. "Seriously? You're not just saying that right?"

Krystal shakes her head. "It's really delicious! Didn't you even try to taste your own dish?"

"No I didn't. I was afraid that It'd taste bad."

"Yah! That means it's okay for you not to taste it even if I'll be eating it?!"  Krystal now raised an eyebrow while Amber broke into a cold sweat.

"H-hey, but it's delicious right?" Amber grins.

Krystal just scoffs and continued to down the food happily this time when she noticed that Amber is just standing there. "What about you? You're not eating?"

The latter crosses her arms and smiles. "Nah. I'm good."

But Krystal refuses to listen to the older girl. She pulled out a seat and forced Amber to sit down, then she gets a spoonful of rice and tries to feed her. "Eat."

With the food now in front of her and Krystal looking at her expectantly, she has no choice but to accept the spoonful that Krystal tries to feed her. "Now that wasn't so hard was it?" Krystal asked like she's talking to a baby. 

Amber just can't help it. Krystal's close proximity to her, how she's so cute... She felt herself blush madly so she just looked down as she chews her food.  

The whole time that they were eating, Krystal refuses to let Amber eat on her own. While Amber would whine and complain about the spoon feeding, Krystal would just occasionally laugh at her.

After they finished eating and the dishes were washed, Amber started fixing the couch and getting blankets and pillows from Krystal's room. 

"What are you doing?" Krystal asks dumbfounded.

Amber just continues to arrange the couch as she answered. "Fixing my sleeping place?"

"What? No, you're not sleeping there. You're sleeping on the bed with me." Krystal casually said. "And don't give me that 'I'm not straight' excuse co'z that's just lame. You know that I'm cool with you being gay yet you still use this reason."

Yes, Even though Amber knows Krystal's door code, even if she's used to sneaking in her apartment, she never dared to stay the night or sleep there. They might be best friends, and though Krystal is cool with all those things even if she knows she's gay, Amber still thinks it's a bad idea.

"But—"

"Zip it llama. No other reasons or explanations. So pick all of those things up and move it back inside my room. You're sleeping there and that's final." But then suddenly, Krystal decides to make fun of the older girl. "Unless the reason why you don't want to sleep next to me is that because you secretly like me." Krystal teases while wriggling her eyebrows.

 Her playfulness stops when she saw Amber looking flustered. "Hey stupid. That was a joke." Krystal nervously chuckles.

Amber's face slowly drops the flustered face and now Krystal notices how she looks relieved but a bit disappointed at the same time. But what she hears next was something that made her heart race. "What if I do like you?"

Now it's Krystal's turn to get flustered. She didn't know if she heard Amber correctly because the latter just mumbled those words to herself while looking down on the floor. "What? W-what did y-you just say Am?"

The older girl just looks at her with unreadable eyes and a faint smile. "Nothing. I guess I'll be taking these pillows inside now." Amber says walking towards Krystal's room, leaving the latter confused and speechless.

Plunging deeper into the night, both girls found it hard to get even a wink. With Amber facing the ceiling and Krystal facing the wall on her right side. Only deep breaths and occasional sighs were exchanged. Amber tries to convince herself that it was just her insomnia attacking, but she knew better.

On the other hand, Krystal still can't comprehend what happened and what she heard earlier. She's so sure that she heard Amber ask what if she actually likes her, but that's not the point. What bothers her is how her heart reacted to the question. Like how it began to beat in an abnormal rate. At first she thought it was just because of the shock about the question, but when her heart sank when Amber said it's nothing, she knew it was something other than that.

No one dared to talk to the other. Few more minutes into the night and Krystal slowly drifted to sleep, while Amber on the other hand didn't get any sleep at all. She got out of bed before the sun could even shine and tried to make breakfast for the younger girl which ended up being a burnt french toast. Before leaving, she took just one last glance at Krystal who's  peacefully sleeping. "I'd rather be your bestfriend, secretly loving you, caring for you, and protecting you like this so that I can stay by your side forever than be in a relationship with you and risk all the good things we share."

-------

This was originally entitled Back To You and originally has 3 parts. But I decided to change it up and make it into just a one shot entitled Birthday Wish. The ending is a bit sad tho, so sorry for that. Hope you still liked it. :)