Ex Girl (Kryber)/Part 3

Intertwined

Did I hear wrong?

 

Did this cute and shy girl that's now expectantly looking at me just say that?

 

That can't be. I know I still have perfectly good hearing.

 

"Krystal I... Did you just—"

 

"Yes I did." She cuts me off. "I still love you Ber." She repeats with more confidence this time. "And I mean it."

 

I became even more dumbfounded. How? After I've dumped her telling her the most ridiculous reason back then, didn't even bother talking to her after that, and even leaving the city without a single word, how can she still love me?

 

Seeing how I'm still mum because of the abrupt confession, Krystal continues to speak.

 

"That song you sang earlier...

 

... Was for me?"

 

Her words were more like a statement rather than a question, and she knows she's right, yet she wants to hear it from me, co'z she knows it's game over once I say those words. That I want her back too.

 

It made me smile inside. She's still clever.

 

But like I said, it won't work.

 

"Yes." In an instant, her face lit up, but what I said next slowly made her small smile fade. "But it's just to cope up with missing you, nothing else. I didn't mean that."

 

I lied.

 

"Don't lie."

 

"I'm not."

 

"You are."

 

I don't think that she's persistent. She just knows me way too well. As convincing as I could, I looked straight into her eyes and said, "We're done Krystal. We were done a long time ago, and that's that. I don't lov—"

 

"Stop." She cuts me off, eyes shut and fists clenched. "Please stop lying. I know the truth Ber."

 

How did she...

 

Her eyes found mine once again. And how she looks at me was so different from anything she sported the whole time. Right now, she looks so sorry, like she's the one at fault. "Jess unnie told me."

 

Jessica... I thought she despised me? She was so ready to punch my guts that time when I told her the true reason I was breaking up with her sister, the same time I told her to continue taking care of Krystal and not let her go to a person like me again, that she needs to be with the right person.

 

We were close friends back then, but since my breakup with Krystal, I never contacted her again. She said that she would never let Krystal know my petty and underrated reason co'z she doesn't want Krystal to feel guilty of something that a coward like me was really at fault for. But how come she did?

 

"When I was so down and depressed when you left, she said something to me..." Krystal's eyes never left mine even if it's slowly starting to water and her voice is now quite hoarse. "…That I should take you back, Ber."

 

Her statement surprised me even more. "That's absurd. Specially if you just coincidentally found me here in Jeonju Krys. And besides, Jessica hates my guts ever since I left you." I told her, trying my best to stick to my act and resist breaking down as I see Krystal’s impending tears.

 

I hate seeing her cry. It breaks me inside when she does, and when that happens, all I want is to share, heck even take away that sadness from her and just let me carry that burden. But right now, I'm the reason for her tears.

 

You really are a bad person Amber.

 

But I can't let her be with someone like me. I love her, so much...

 

"Jess unnie was the one who told me to go here. She knows you're here."

 

Jessica and her connections, really that girl is powerful.

 

"She explained that you decided to break up with me because of the financial dilemma you were in, because you won't be able to give me a comfortable and easy life that I was so used to, and because of my parents as well." Krystal stops for a moment and that's when I heard her sniffling. She hurriedly looks up and as she did, I saw the tears falling from her eyes that she wasn't able to prevent.

 

No. Please don't cry. I can't...

 

"I was selfish back then. I only thought of those petty and useless things that was bothering me with our relationship, my immature jealousy, and a ton of petty and shallow stuff. I didn't see how you were struggling, how you were hurt because of my parents' unfair judgement. I didn’t see those things and only focused on myself, and when you broke up with me, I was so angry and I wondered, what went so wrong? If only I had took notice of how hard it was for you…”

Krystal kept talking through her sobs, even though her tears were now flowing non-stop from her eyes and her voice hoarse from preventing herself from breaking down. She shouldn’t be guilty. Everything that’s happening right now between the both of us is my fault. I started this mess of emotions we’re both suffering from.

 

It hurts me so much… Seeing her cry and look so vulnerable like this.

 

And it’s all my fault.

 

“Krystal, none of this was your-”

 

“I’m sorry Ber…”

 

Her abrupt apology baffled me.

 

“…For not being able to notice those things. For not being able to take care of you well… And for this.”

 

And before I could do anything with the sudden confusion that engulfed me, Krystal ran over to me and hugged me, clutching onto me like her life depended on it, and to be honest, it was so comforting.

 

“I missed you so much.” She said, burying her head on my shoulder. “I don’t care about money, Ber. It’s fine for me live with a lot of hardships as long as you’re with me, as long as we’re both by each other’s side. I can endure everything as long as I’m with you. I’ll fight for you this time…

 

…Please, don’t lie to me anymore. Please, have me back again…

 

…I’m still hopelessly in love with you, Ber. ”

 

Her words struck me, making me tear up as well. She still loves me, and I still love her.

 

Taking in everything she said, I hugged her back, even tighter than she did, even more desperate. I held her as if I would die if she leaves.

 

“I…” Gathering my courage, I took a deep breath and continued on what I have to say. “…Still love you too, Krys.” Heaving out a sigh and pulling away from the hug, I settled my eyes on her gorgeous face, memorizing every feature of it. Her lips that slightly curve up by the corner, her perfect jawline, her cute nose that scrunches up when she laughs, and her cat-like eyes that’s now looking straight back at me.

 

Better do this now before I make a fool out of myself, or never.

 

“But no. My answer is no.”

 

Call me anything you want. A jerk, a bastard, a fool, insane, or absurd, I know all of it would suit me perfectly right now. But now that I’ve hurt her again, I think she won’t want to be with me anymore. And that’s much comforting for me co’z I know I will only bring her more problems, more tears. I fear that I may hurt her more, that I may only bring her discomfort. Not like before, I am now not confident in making her happy.

 

And what happened next was something I already expected but was not prepared for. Krystal raised her hand and gave me a hard and thundering slap.

 

But it’s fine. I know I deserved that.

 

Me and my inferiority complex.

 

“Gosh you’re still stubborn. You and you’re inferiority complex, really.” She heaves out while wiping her tears and taking a step back from me. “Why are you like this? I confessed that I still love you, I cried, I even asked you to be with me again, then you also say that you still love me, but in the end you reject me. Really, Ber?” Krystal now lays her eyes back at me, still sniffling, but trying to feign casualness, something that makes my heart hurt. “If you wanna play the stubborn game, then fine, we’ll do it your way. I’ll be stubborn too.” She says, raising an eyebrow and calming herself down.

 

Why is she like this? This isn’t it. She’s supposed to hate me now, she’s supposed to leave and have a nice and comfortable life, not worrying about anything because she won’t be stuck with a penniless, bastard, inconsiderate girlfriend like me.

 

Just then, I felt another slap from her, but on my arm this time, and much less painful at that.

 

“Don’t think too low of yourself. My Amber isn’t like that.” I don’t know how she does it, but she now has this faint yet warm smile and caring look plastered on her face, making me feel something that I’ve never quite felt for a long time. She made me feel important.

 

I was left speechless with how she was acting right now, not the bad kind of speechless, but the emotional one, and I can’t bear it that she’s putting up with me like this.

 

“I still have two more days left here, so I’ll be as stubborn as you are in the meantime.” This time, she states this with a more determined look. “I’ll get rid of that mentality of yours.”

 

I don’t know why but whatever this is that she’s doing is making me so flabbergasted, to the point that I’m now just frozen right here, trying to figure her out. “Why are you doing this?” Suddenly finding my voice, I asked her.

 

Krystal stood there for a good few seconds until she took a step closer to me and now did something that I both didn’t expect and was not prepared for. Krystal slowly leaned in closer and kissed me on the lips. It was nothing sensual nor torrid. It was romantic and moving, and she made sure to linger for quite some time before pulling away and looking at me intently. “Because like I said, I still love you… And if I’m not mistaken, that’s how love works.” What she just said and did send my heart into a frenzy of emotions. Something quite unexplainable and strange but it felt good at the same time.

 

It must be the effect of the kiss, co’z I felt tons of blood rushing to my face, making it turn red, even going up till the tip of my ears. Feeling terribly embarrassed, I turned my eyes away from her, and as I was about to say something, I suddenly can’t find my words, turning like a four year old in front of her.

 

“Krystal I… You know I… It’s just that, you know… Us-‘’

 

But even before I could form a coherent sentence like a normal adult should, she kissed me again.

“Shut up.” She says with a cute smile. “I want you to think this through once more. I’ll give you an ultimatum. Like I said, I’ll be leaving after two days, I’ll wait for you ‘till then. I just don’t want to force or pressure you into being with me again…

 

…Well I guess that’s love.”    

 

Maybe feeling embarrassed by her words herself, she chuckles. Now that’s much better than seeing her cry.

 

There was a long and awkward pause between the two of us until Krystal decides to break it by speaking first. “I’ll be going now then, Ber.” She nonchalantly says with a small grin and chicly waves at me, walking away and leaving me right there still somewhat shocked of everything that had happened tonight.

 

---

 

The things Krystal said and confessed to me last night kept bothering me to the extent that I wasn’t able to sleep. I didn’t even notice that it was already morning until my alarm went off. Now, I’m here at the staffroom at work, trying to sneak a nap so that I won’t end up looking like one of those zombies in Train to Busan.

 

“Yah!” A ringing shout near my ears woke me up from afterlife. “Why do you look like one of those zombies from Train to Busan?” Henry asked, shaking me like I was some kind of maracas or something to let me come back to my senses.

 

Talk about accuracy. “Just let me sleep oppa! I’d look worse than those zombies then if you don’t let me get even just 5 minutes of sleep!” I whined at him, but considering that it’s him, I know it won’t work.

 

“Is this because of your ex-girlfriend? I saw you two dashed out the cafe last night. Were you able to get some? Huh?” He playfully nudged me with a mischievous look and a suggestive grin.

 

Aish this oppa, really! “You ert!” I shouted, even glaring at him, making him flinch. “We… we just talked about things…” Now this conversation is making me remember everything again, including that ultimatum… And that kiss.

 

“Eh? What a downer.” Henry retorts, looking disappointed as he slumped back taking a seat next to me. “If you guys didn’t do ‘it’ last night, then I wonder why she’s here this early.”

 

“Aish! How can you be so chatty?! Let me just sleep oppa!”

 

I was just about to continue my trip to dreamland when his words sank in. I immediately grabbed Henry’s wrist as soon as he was about to stand up and leave. “Wait what did you say oppa?!”

 

“What? That it was a downer?”

 

“No! The other one!”

 

“That… Why is she here this early?”

 

“YES! That’s it!” Now it’s me who’s shaking him like a maracas. “She’s here?!”

 

Henry must’ve been surprised by my reaction that he scooted backwards from me. “Yes she’s here! Why are you so worked up about it though?”

 

Not minding his question, I dashed out of the staff room and took a peek outside, scoping the area if she was really there or Henry is now having bad eyesight due to his age. But all my hopes of Henry’s bad eyesight crumbled when I saw her sitting on the spot she took the first day she went here.

 

I’m still not able to think about the things she said last time thoroughly, and now she’s here? Is this her way of being stubborn?

 

Just then, I felt a presence behind me. “Why are you hiding?” It’s Henry again.

 

I heaved out a sigh. “I’m still not ready to see her oppa.”

 

Henry smiles, a caring and concerned one. “I’ll cover for you. Just work here by the bar then and hide.” He then ruffles my hair and walks away, shouting a “You owe me a story!” before he was completely out of sight.

 

Like I said, he may be trashy, but he’s a nice person, and a good friend.

 

Henry oppa kept his promise and covered up for me. I saw him constantly talking to Krystal though, maybe coming up with tons of lies as to why she isn’t seeing me in the café. Krystal waited ‘till the café’s closing time and left only when I saw Henry say something to her.

 

It’s like someone that was gripping my heart decided to release it for a moment when I saw Krystal leave, but decided to grip on it again. Should I say that I want her to leave but at the same time I still want to see her and was hoping that she’d be her stubborn self and wait for me? Maybe yes. I don’t know! My head is just a cluttered mess right now. I ruffled my hair in utter annoyance when suddenly a certain someone lightly hit the back of my head.

 

“Yah. Stop whining there like a kid.” Henry oppa monotonously said as he walked pass by me and into the staff room.  

 

“I’m not whining!” I shouted at him as I followed suit. “It’s not whining! It’s… uh…”

 

The guy in front of me just gave me that sarcastic ‘Really?’ look and chuckled.

 

“What?! Why are you laughing at me?!” I asked him, slowly getting annoyed as he’s not helping.

 

This time, he completely turned to face me, leaning against one of the lockers in the room while I got up on the table and sat there, facing him. “It’s because you’re stupid.”

 

I shot him a look but he just shrugged it off, completely unfazed, which rendered a sigh to come out of my mouth, co’z he’s not entirely wrong. “Yeah. I know oppa.”

 

This time, he’s the one who sighed. “She clearly wants you back. And with the looks of things, you want her back too, no?”

 

A sloppy “I don’t know.” was the only thing that I could say to him as I raised my knees and buried my face in it.

 

“Do you still love her?”

 

“Yes… but-“

 

“Just a yes or no Amber.”

 

Defeated, I muttered a silent “Yes.”

 

“Did it hurt you when you saw her leave earlier?”

 

Did it?

 

“Yes.”

 

Suddenly, I felt an arm on my shoulder, and as I look up, I saw that Henry was now beside me having that caring older brother look that I know would only last up until this conversation is over. “You still love her, you obviously can’t take seeing her go. So what’s keeping you from taking her back?”

 

His question made me feel even more incompetent as it made me remember why in the hell did I break up with her in the first place. “She’s rich, like almost heiress rich, while I’m broke. I won’t be able to give her a comfortable life. And her parent’s hate me to the moon and back because of it. They won’t accept me for her.”

 

Raising his eyebrows, Henry kind of looks at me in disbelief, and before he could even say anything, I countered him. “I know. It’s petty. I’m petty. I’m a coward.”

 

“No it’s not petty.” Now I’m the one in disbelief. Did he just say that?

 

“It’s actually very admirable and sweet. How you’re already thinking about your future with her, how it might go, and you’re worried that you wouldn’t be able to provide.” He smiles at me as he says every word. Is it really? “But the thing is, I think for her, those things don’t matter as long as she’s with you. Her visit here today kind of proves that you know.”

 

“Yeah I know.” I sighed with a defeated look. “She already said that to me yesterday oppa.”

 

With what I revealed, Henry gave me a ‘You better do the right thing’ kind of look. “Confidence, Amber.” He stated. “Think this through okay? But not too much since you might end up like a zombie again tomorrow. Arraseo?”

 

And before Henry took his leave, he ruffled my hair first and gave me a noggin in the head. What a nice older ‘brother’.

 

“Gomawo oppa!” I shouted through the staff room walls, hoping he didn’t hear it or else he would be teasing for like, forever."

----------------------------

Okay just beat me up right now guys. THIS TOOK TOO LONG I'M SO SORRY T.T

There is still a 4th part for this. AND I PROMISE TO POST IT SOON!

Also I have an announcement! Since it's Christmas (technically Christmas here in the Philippines lasts until January), I'll be giving you presents!

I'll be posting another KryBer oneshot, and a oneshot of a pairing of you choice: SeulRene, TaengSic, SeulStal, or TaeNy

Whoever gets 3 votes the fastest (co'z not a lot od people comment on this story T.T) will be the winner!

Also, I might update my other KryBer story! :)

That's all for now! Thanks for reading and putting up with your busily lazy author! And to those subscribed to this story, Thank you sooooo muuuuuuuuuch!!!!! :))

Votes, comments, and subscribes are very highly (yeah you guys get it XD) appreciated!

Love you guys!

Author out!

Peace!