The Way We Were Before (Seulrene) / Part 3

Intertwined

First thing in the morning and Irene wakes up to a freakin headache. As she tries to sit right up on her bed, the pain even worsens. "The hell with this headache. What in the world did I do last night anyway?" She mumbles to herself as she massages her temples.

Thinking as deeply as she can, she starts to recall what happened.

"I hate how you worry and care so much over the maknaes." 

Closer,

"I hate how you get along too well with Wendy."

And closer...

"I hate how Krystal understands you better than me."
.
.
.
"I hate it that I'm falling hard for you. I like you Kang Seulgi."

That's when reality hit Irene so hard in the face. She confessed to Seulgi last night! They even kissed! "What the?!" She exclaims. "Oh my god."

With what she just remembered, Irene starts to think as hard as she can to recall what might've happened after the kiss and the confession, but to no avail, that's all she can recall.

Irene growls in annoyance. "Now I don't know how Seulgi reacted!" She now ruffles her hair as she starts to talk to herself again. "Seulgi must've been so confused and shocked...

... She must've thought I was disgusting. After all, I kissed her without any permission...

... Now she's going to drift away from me for sure. And I'm certain that she won't come back anymore.." The frustration from earlier was now replaced by sadness. "How can I even face her now?"

"Face who now unnie?" A voice suddenly chimes in which startles Irene. The latter now finds Wendy leaning by the door.

"I-it's n-no-nothing Wendy." Irene stutters. "So, you need anything?"

"Well first of all you need to eat breakfast unnie. I didn't want to bother you earlier because of the hang-over so I just kind of wa—"

"Wait. Did you just say hang-over? You know that I drank last night?" The embarrassed leader suddenly asks.

Wendy just nods at her. "Yep. I opened the door for you and Seulgi last night. She was carrying you on her back because you passed out over half a can of beer."  Now the Canadian tries her best not to chuckle because of what she just said.

On the other hand, Irene is now more embarrassed. Not only to Wendy, but to Seulgi as well. 

What kind of person passes out over a half can of beer? Irene mentally slaps herself. And what's worse is that this happened after she confessed, and Seulgi even carried her back home.

A snap of a finger brings Irene back. "Unnie. Still there? You need to eat."

Still flustered, the leader now stands and turns to Wendy. "Yeah. Let's go."

As both got out of the room, they find Seulgi watching tv on the couch. Wendy greets her friend good morning and the bear just nods, but as she does, she glanced at their leader who's already looking at her. Seulgi just keeps a straight face and turns back to the tv.

Sad by the bear's action towards her, Irene just goes straight to their kitchen with a sad pout on her face and starts to chow down her breakfast.

While eating, Wendy approaches her. "Take this medicine after you eat unnie. It will help with the headache."

Thanking her dongsaeng, the leader wholeheartedly smiles at the younger girl. "This is nice of you Wendy." 

Even though a bit sad that it's not Seulgi who's worried and is taking care of her, she's still appreciates Wendy's actions. "At least YOU'RE worried." Irene says in a whisper while looking at Seulgi. 

Hearing this, Wendy smiles at her leader but immediately sighs as she walks away from the latter and comes to sit beside Seulgi.

"Did you give the medicine already?" The bear worriedly asks her.

To Seulgi's surprise, she earns a forehead flick from Wendy. "Ouch!" She exclaims, which earned Irene's attention.

"You've been giving me too much forehead flicks these past few days Seungwan!" Seulgi whispers a bit annoyed at Wendy, completely trying to ignore Irene's stares.

Wendy frustratingly scolds her back in a whisper. "It's your fault anyways! You're back to this 'caring for her but not showing it' phase! You said she already confessed to you last night. You two even kissed for freaks sake! So what's with this now?"

Seulgi sighs, defeated by the great Canadian, she spills out her thoughts. "She's drunk last night Wendy. And you know how she gets when she's drunk. She spits out nonsense. I really don't think she meant all of that. It's just the alcohol talking." She says, keeping a low voice so that Irene wouldn't hear them.

Also trying her best to quietly talk with her friend, Wendy scoots even closer to Seulgi. "You're being negative. And not just that, you're assuming things without any proper explanation first." Knowing that Irene is still looking at them, Wendy closes in more for a whisper, which she knows will look like she kissed Seulgi in Irene's angle. "You guys talk to each other okay? I'll be leaving you two. Since the maknaes are out for school, you have the whole apartment to yourselves. You can talk, shout or kiss all you want."

Abruptly, Wendy stands and loudly speaks. "I'll be going now okay?" Even winking at Seulgi in the process, which made Irene twitch an eyebrow. 

"Unnie, I'll be leaving to shop for groceries. You just stay here with Seulgi and rest okay?" Wendy now says to Irene with a big grin.

And without even a minute passing, Wendy is gone and both are left awkwardly in the apartment. 

A whole 30 minutes flew by and no one still dared to speak. Both are nervous, confused, but mostly scared to admit their feelings.

But not until Irene mustered up to swallow all her embarrassment, and gather all the courage she has. The leader sighs heavily as she stands up and walks towards Seulgi. "Can we talk?"

Shocked by the sudden action, the latter slowly looks up to Irene. Seeing how the leader actually looks serious about it, the bear points to the empty space beside her. Irene obliges and sits beside Seulgi, but the bear still scooted a bit away from her which made Irene frown. 

Seeing how stern the look on the leader's face is, Seulgi now fears on what the leader would like to talk about. Given the fact that she already convinced herself that Irene didn't mean anything that happened last night means that it's the last thing that Seulgi thinks they would be talking about, but still, she silently prays that they won't actually go there.

"It's about last night." Irene starts off. Now Seulgi knows her prayer wasn't answered. "First of all, thank you for putting up with me last night. You even carried me all the way back home. You could've just woke me up you know."

Even though nervous and still awkward about the topic, Seulgi tries her best not to show it. "It's nothing. I can't just leave you there. I don't want to bother you in your sleep either."

How Seulgi said it with such an emotionless tone saddened Irene. She now thinks that maybe she really doesn't have a chance in getting the bear's attention. With how close she saw Wendy is to Seulgi earlier, and with how she actually thinks she saw Wendy kiss Seulgi's cheek, the leader now feels more hopeless than ever. "Is that so?" The low tone of her voice made her feelings more evident.

It wasn't unnoticed by Seulgi, but in order for their 'talk' to finish quickly, she suppresses herself to even pry in the leader's thoughts. The bear coldly answers with a "Yes." and turns her eyes back to the tv.

Though feeling defeated, Irene still continued as she feels the need to apologize to Seulgi and confess properly for once. This is her one last chance in doing so and she doesn't want to ruin it like last time. Seulgi may actually reject her but the leader thinks that what matters right now is that she lets Seulgi know what she feels. "And another thing... About the kiss and the confession—"

Seulgi doesn't want to hear any of it from Irene. She doesn't want to hear Irene say that she didn't mean anything and it was all a mistake. So instead of hearing it from the girl she likes, she cuts her off and says it herself. "It's okay. I know you didn't mean it right? That it was just the effect the alcohol and nothing more. No worries. It's fine." 

What came out of the bear's mouth left Irene shocked. She knows in herself that she meant every word she said. That she really wanted to kiss the bear at that moment. Why would Seulgi even think that those were just nonsense? 

Suddenly, the younger girl now stands up and turns the tv off. Without even making eye contact, she tries to end the conversation. "So, if that's all, then I'll be in my room unnie." 

Before Seulgi could even leave, Irene holds her hand and swiftly pulls her into a hug. With the older girl's head buried in the younger girl's neck, the former whispers. "I know this sounds ridiculous. You may even see me differently after this, but I'm taking the chance." Irene now hugs Seulgi tighter by her nape. "Everything I did and said last night, I mean it. The kiss, the confession. I like you Seulgi. So much that it's starting to drive me crazy. I know you can't reciprocate the feelings I have for you though, so this is all I wish for... Can we go back to the way we were before? The relationship we had when we were just trainees? When we weren't awkward, when I still haven't had this much feelings for you, when there was none of this complicated things. I know it's too much to ask considering that I just confessed to you... But please..." Irene's cracking voice can be clearly heard.

The bear was the one to break away from the hug. She looks at Irene while both her hands rests on the older girl's shoulders. "I'm sorry, but no."

Those words broke Irene. Now she's sure that the friendship they had won't be saved anymore. As her eyes now starts to water due to the impending tears, she feels a soft hand gently caress her cheek and guide her to slowly look upfront. Before she even knew it, she now felt Seulgi's lips crashing into hers, moving slowly and gently.

Irene now obliges to the kiss, moving her lips in rhythm with Seulgi. The taste of the strawberry lip balm that the latter frequently uses now lingers on Irene's tongue. Heat now rising between the two of them, the kiss starts to get intense, and with Irene wanting more, she gently bits onto Seulgi's lower lip asking for an entrance which the latter immediately gives. With Irene's tongue now dancing inside Seulgi's mouth, the latter can't help but release a muffled moan which drove Irene crazy.

After what seemed like forever, both of them breaks away from the kiss, satisfied and breathless. But still, Irene is confused with what Seulgi just did. Before the leader could eventually ask, the bear beat her to it. "I don't want to go back to the way we were because I actually like the way we are now, and the way that we will both be in the future. Well, that's if you would agree to be my girlfriend Hyunnie." Seulgi says with a bright smile on her face which makes her eyes disappear.

Those words slowly put a smile on Irene's face as well. The leader now lovingly stares at the bear. "I like the idea. Let's not go back to the way we were before and enjoy what we are now, because right now, I think I would love to call you jagiya."

--------------------