Chapter 2

Tears of Happiness

Chapter 2

It's been a year since Gui became blind. She was use to being blind. Her teachers treat her differently from other students. Her principal had ordered braille books for her. As for writing, she would type everything out, using a laptop with brailles. Life was different, but she felt stronger. Everyone treated her as the same, once they got use to her being blind. Everyone, but her old friends. She was in a group called Morning Glory, but now that she's blind, they kicked her out, along with Ya Tou and Xiao Jie.

Gui didn't feel bad about being kicked out of Morning Glory. She felt relieved and freedom. She was able to do whatever she wanted, instead of having them complain about her ideas. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie had been with her through it all, along with her maids and servants. She was grateful to have true friends. Since that year, she learned the value of a true friend.

She was now a second year student at Tai Ke Univeristy. Principal Teo tried his best to put Gui in classes with Ya Tou or Xiao Jie so that they can help her get to her classes. Gui had wanted to do things herself, but she knew that it was hard to be independent when you're blind.

Gui was eating breakfast with her grandfather, when Ya Tou and Xiao Jie came to pick her up. Xiao Nan, let them in and led them to the dinning room, where they saw Gui and her grandfather eating.

"Gui, are you ready to go?" asked Ya Tou. It was the first day of school. She was excited to be back at school, but more importantly, she would get to be with Ah Wei. She wanted to be with him during the summer, but he was out of town, because of his grandmother's sickness.

"Yea, just let me finish taking this last bite," she said. She stuffed the last bite of her pancake in and drank her juice. When she was done chewing, she got up, and walked to her grandfather. "Ye ye, I'm going to school now." She kissed him and left with Ya Tou and Xiao Jie. Old Master Wu watched as his granddaughter disappeared with her friends. He knew that they were not of the rich status, but he prefer Gui being with them than those rich, fake friends. He smiled to himself. He had been staying with Gui for a year now, and seeing her happy made him happy.

All three of them walked to the bus stop. Since the accident, Gui had asked her butler to stop driving her school. She didn't see the point of having him drop her off anymore. Before the accident, she would always go with her father. Their butler will drop her off first then her father, but now that her father is no longer there, she didn't see the logic in taking her to school and picking her up everyday.

They boarded the bus and sat down along the windows. Gui loved sitting by the window, even though she can't see. She had learned to appreciate the beauty through her blindness. 'It's in the simplicity' was her favorite phrase. She taught Ya Tou and Xiao Jie how to live in the simplicity.

When they got to school, Ya Tou and Xiao Jie lead Gui to her classes. Even though they have some classes together, Gui was still alone in one of her classes. She was a pianist and loved music. She had been practicing the piano since she was five.

"Gui, remember, this is your music class. We are not with you, so you have to find someone else who is willing to help you with this class," said Ya Tou. Gui smiled at her. She knew that Ya Tou and Xiao Jie was worried for her.

"Hey, don't worry. I can manage this class. I have been counting the steps that we took. It took us about...eighty steps to get here from our math class. Now, what's next?" she asked. Ya Tou took out her schedule and read it.

"After this, you have...your free period. So, where are you planning to go after this class?" Ya Tou asked.

"Um...I don't know. What do you guys have?" she asked. She wasn't sure where she wanted to go.

"Well, I still have another class," Xiao Jie answered, as she took out her schedule.

"I don't have any class, so I'll meet you here and we can go somewhere and wait for Xiao Jie," suggested Ya Tou.

"Okay," she said agreeing with Ya Tou, "so I'll meet you after this last class." When the bell rang for the morning classes, Ya Tou and Gui went their first class together, while Xiao Jie walked to the library. She didn't have a first class, so she get to spend an hour in the library.

When it was time for lunch, Xiao Jie and Gui meet Ya Tou at their favorite spot. They ate lunch together, when someone approached them. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie looked up and gasp. They were surprised to see him there. He never talked to them, to be exact, he never talked to anyone. He smiled at them. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie stared at each other and shrugged.

"Hello, may I sit with you three?" he asked.

"Um...sure," said Ya Tou. Gui was listening to them. She recognized the voice, but she couldn't pinpoint where she had heard it. She was thinking, when he interrupted her thoughts.

"Hello, do you remember me? I mean, I met you before. Or should I say, I talked to you before," he said to Gui. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie stared at Gui then at him. They were confused. They had been with Gui all these time, so where can she meet him.

"Um...I don't really remember where I've met you, but I do recognized your voice," she said. He smiled.

"Well, let's just say that I met you at a street vendor," he said. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie kept their gaze on Gui. They didn't know when she was a street vendor, but this was catching their attention. Gui knew that her friends were staring at her in confusion. She smiled at them before taking another bite of her sandwich.

"Street vendor? Gui, when have you been to a street vendor?" Ya Tou finally asked. She couldn't help it, she wanted to know.

"Street vendor?" Gui repeated. "Ah, I remember now! You two weren't there with me. I was with Xiao Nan and Butler Yi. I had just been discharged, and I was hungry, so I asked Butler Yi to stop at my favorite street vendor. I was eating 'Hot and Spicy Pot' when he came up to me. We talked for a little bit and I left."

"Oh, I see. So, what's your name?" Ya Tou asked him. She had seen him around campus alone, but she never actually talked to him.

"My name is Yan Ya Lun, but you can just call me Aaron," he answered her.

"Hello, I'm Ya Tou and this is Gui," she said.

"I know who you three are," he said. Xiao Jie choked on her drink. She was shock to hear that someone knows them.

"What do you mean when you said that you know who we are?" asked Xiao Jie. Aaron smiled at them, before answering them.

"Everyone knows who you are. I mean, you guys were part of Morning Glory, but now that Gui's blind, you three got kicked out. Also, you three are the most prettiest girls on campus. When I first meet her, I didn't recognized her. I mean, who in this campus doesn't know you three?" he said. Ya Tou didn't believe him. She knew that he was right about getting kicked out of Morning Glory, but they weren't the prettiest girls on campus. She knew that the prettiest girls on campus were those in Morning Glory.

"We are not the prettiest girls," said Xiao Jie.

"Of course you are. I mean, those girls in Morning Glory are not even as pretty as you three. Even though you and Xiao Jie are poor, and Gui's blind, you three are still the most popular. I saw plenty of guys leave love notes on your desks," he said. Ya Tou also knew that this was true. Guys would leave love notes on their desks and in their lockers, but they never even bother to look at them.

"Whatever," she said.

"If you don't believe me, just look around," he said. He got up and left, right before the bell. Ya Tou helped Gui up and walked her to their next class. She was thinking about what Aaron had said. He was somewhat right, but she wasn't still convinced.

When Gui's last class ended, she waited by the room patiently for Ya Tou. When Ya Tou arrived, they walked over to the library. Gui wanted to finish her homework, so that she won't have to do it at home. They walked over to the library when they met Xiao Xun, the new leader of Morning Glory.

"Gui and Ya Tou, what are you two doing her?" she said. Ya Tou ignored her and walked away with Gui. She knew that Xiao Xun just wanted to annoyed them. She wasn't going to let Xiao Xun get in her way. "Hey! I'm talking to you two!" She shouted. Ya Tou kept on walking, when she grabbed her arm and turned her around.

"Who do you think you are?" she asked Ya Tou.

"Me? I'm Ya Tou and I'm no longer part of Morning Glory, so why do I have to listen to you?"

"Ya Tou, you think that you are so bold, huh? Let me tell you something, you are nothing but a piece of torn rag."

"So, at least I'm so much better than a spoiled princess," she said. She turned around and walked inside with Gui. She didn't want Xiao Xun to have the last words. Once inside, Gui stopped. "What's wrong?"

"Ya Tou, I'm sorry," she said.

"Sorry? Why are you sorry?"

"It's all my fault."

"No, it's not. Gui, Xiao Xun never liked me. You should know that I joined that group because of you and only you. I never once regret joining that group. You and Xiao Jie were the only one who treated me nicely. Gui, it's not your fault, okay."

Gui smiled at her friend, but she was still feeling guilty. If she haven't asked Ya Tou and Xiao Jie to join the group, maybe they won't have to deal with this. She knew that they were never accepted into the group. The others only treated them nicely, because of her.

"Gui, come on, let's go find a table," Ya Tou said, as she led Gui to a table. Gui took out her laptop and starting doing her homework. By the end of school, she had finished all of her homework. Ya Tou had text Xiao Jie, so she already knew where to meet them. They waited for Xiao Jie, before going to their favorite cafe.