Chapter 11

Tears of Happiness

Chapter 11

For the next three months, Gui was recovering from her eye transplant. On the last day of her stay at the hospital, Doctor Park took out her bandages. She opened her eyes and everything was blurry. She could make out their faces, but she still couldn't see them fully. She smiled and waved at them. Old Master Wu walked up to her and held up four fingers.

“Ah Gui, how many fingers am I holding up?” he asked her. She stared at him, before answering.

“Four,” she said. He changed the numbers of fingers and distanced himself from her.

“How about now?” he asked her again.

“Um…three,” she said. His smile was gone. Doctor Park looked at her then stood at a distance and put up five fingers.

“Miss Wu, how many fingers am I holding?” he asked her.

“Um…two,” she said. He got closer to her and put up two fingers.

“How about now?” he asked her.

“Two,” she said. He walked to a distance again, this time holding up an object.

“What am I holding?” he asked her.

“Um…an apple,” she smiled at them. He wrote something down and talked to one of the nurse that was present. She left the room.

“Wu Ren Yao, may I have a word with you?” he asked Gui’s grandfather. He nodded and followed Doctor Park outside. “Ren Yao, there is still something wrong with her. I can see that she has not completely healed, but its okay. This is only a little problem. We can fix her vision with glasses.”

“So, is she nearsighted now?” he asked.

“I believe so, I mean, she can’t see faraway. I think it’s because of the clogged in her veins when she was blind. When my nurse returns with the release papers, you can take her to the optometry. I will call them and let them know that you are going to be there, so that they can give her a quick run through and prescribed her glasses,” he explained to Old Master Wu. He nodded and went back inside, while Doctor Park went to the reception desk to call Doctor Jang, to let her know that Old Master Wu and Gui were on their way.

After they left the hospital, they dropped by Doctor Jang’s office. She was waiting for them. They entered her office, and she took Gui to the examine room. After a run through, she prescribed Gui a pair of glasses. Gui picked out a light blue fashion glasses. The frame was rectangle and there was a design on it. Doctor Jang had it personalized with ‘鬼’ her symbol. They stayed in Korea for a few more days, before heading out to Taiwan.

When they returned to Taiwan, Gui went to her room. She was glad to be back and now she can see. When they got home, she went straight to her room and but her bags down. She walked over to her table and touched her things, everything felt so different now. She closed her eyes and touched them. She didn’t know why, but with her eyes closed, everything felt so special, but with her eyes opened, everything seems so bland. She smiled to herself. She was glad that she can see again, but she also missed being blind. She walked over to her bed and hugged her Stitch dolls. She hugged them one by one.

When it was dinner time, she walked down and went to the dinning room. She was shock to see that her friends were there waiting for her. She walked over to her grandfather and kissed him, then sat down beside him.

“Hey,” she said, “how did you know that I was back?” They smiled at her. She looked so beautiful, even with the glasses. She stared at them from person to person, until she came to Danson. She didn’t recognize him. She stared at him for a few more minutes, before gasping.

“Hi, I’m pretty sure you know me right?” he asked. She nodded.

“You must be Danson Yan Yu Zhe, Aaron’s Ge,” she said.

“Yup,” he said, “you look so beautiful with those glasses.”

“Thanks,” she said, as she blushed. “How did you guys know I was back?” She asked again, for they haven’t answered her.

“Wu Ye ye told us,” said Ya Tou, with a smile.

“Yea, he asked us to come for dinner, since you were back and to celebrate your eye sight,” said Xiao Jie.

“Um…I may be able to see, but I still need glasses. My eyes are not fully recovered, since there was a clot in the veins. Doctor Park said that the transplant went perfectly well, but since I’ve been blind for so long now, I will need glasses to help me. He said that if I wanted I could’ve got some contacts, but he didn’t recommend it,” she explained to them.

“Ah, I see,” said Xiao Man.

“So, how long do you have to wear them?” asked Ah Wei.

“For life,” she answered. They were busy talking when the doorbell rang. Xiao Nan entered with Ah Ben. Gui turned and saw him. She got up and ran to him.

“Ben Ben!” she said. “I’m so glad to see you!” He hugged her and handed her some flowers.

“I’m glad to see you too,” he said, “Wow, everyone is here already.” They walked to the table and he sat next to his cousin. “Ye ye, is Ah Gui giving you any mischief?”

“No, but she is stubborn,” he laughed. Gui punched Ah Ben playfully. Everyone laughed at the two cousins.

“Now that everyone is here, I have presents for everyone,” she said. She got up and ran out of the dinning room. Everyone was surprised to hear that she got presents for them, but they were also excited. Gui returned with two bags. She was smiling when she entered the dinning. She sat back down and took out a box with silver wrapping.

“This is for you,” she said as handed it to Ya Tou. She reached into the bag again and took out another box silver wrapping and hand it to Xiao Jie. Then she handed one to Xiao Man, Ah Wei, Danson and Ah Ben. They all thanked her and opened their presents. They were amazed at what she had gotten them. It was the prettiest phone charm they’ve ever seen. Ya Tou, Xiao Jie, and Xiao Man took out their phones and tied them onto the holder. Ah Wei, Danson and Ah Ben put theirs back into the boxes. They were going to do it later, after dinner.

“Look,” said Gui, as she took out her phone and showed it to them. She had four of them on her phone. One was a medium sized Pucca and the other a medium sized Mashimaro, both doll like charms. The other two were smaller charms, with bells. She smiled at them as she showed them her charms.

“Gui, those are beautiful,” said Ya Tou.

“I know right, that’s why I bought you girls the same one, but different styles,” she said.

“Ah Gui, how was your stay in Korea?” asked Ah Ben, trying to change the subject so that the guys can join them.

“It was tiring,” she said.

“Really? How tiring?” asked Ah Wei.

“Well, for the first two and a half months, I was recovering from the transplant, so I couldn’t take the bandages out. I had to stay at the hospital for three months. The day of my discharge, Doctor Park took out the bandages, to find out that I can’t see faraway, so he sent me to see Doctor Jang. I picked out this pair of glasses, and the cool this is, they even personalize it with ‘鬼’,” she said, taking off her glasses and showing off two ‘鬼’ symbols.

“Wow, how cool,” said Ah Wei.

“I know right, anyways, after I was settled, ye ye and I went shopping. It was fun. I mean, Korea had so many fun things to do. It’s a pity that I have to leave early, but I still had fun while it lasted,” she said.

After dinner, they chatted some more. At around midnight, they left one by one, leaving Gui alone in her room. When they were gone, she took a shower and walked out to her balcony. She stared at the stars and smiled.

‘Ma, Pa, look at me now. I can see again. Thank you so much for always watching over me. I know that two you are in a better place. Ma, Pa, look at my glasses, it has a ‘鬼’ on it. It has my symbol on it,’ she said as she took off her glasses and extended her arms, ‘Ma, Pa, look at this, I bought these for my phone. Ma, Pa, it’s getting late now, I love you! Oh, before I forget, tomorrow I will play you a song. I know that I haven’t played a song for you two for a very long time, but now I will start again.’

She went back inside and made herself cozy. She took off her glasses and put them on her nightstand, before turning off the lights.

_______________________________

note: 鬼 = Gui