Chapter 8

Tears of Happiness

Chapter 8

The next day, Aaron woke up to find Gui missing. He left her room and frantically searched for her. He went outside to the garden, but she was no where to be seen. He searched the whole hospital and she wasn't there. He walked back to her room, when he remembered something. He ran to the reception desk and asked a nurse to search the women's restroom for him. He waited patiently for her to come out, when she did, she gave him a sad look. He ran to Doctor Chen's office, but when he entered, she wasn't there, instead there was a little girl who was crying. He apologized and went back to Gui's room. He sat there for a few minutes, before going back outside to call Ya Tou.

He walked over to a bench and took out his phone. He dialed Ya Tou's number and waited for her to pick up. On the third ring, he heard a 'hello' through the other line.

"Ya Tou, there is problem," he told her.

"What kind of problem?" she asked, as the others stared at her with a confused look. They were on their way to the hospital in Ah Wei's car. They were just a few blocks away from the hospital premises.

"Gui had gone missing," he said.

"What?! Gui's missing?!" she shouted, making everyone in the car glance at her.

"Yea, I searched the whole hospital and she's not here," he said.

"Okay, calm down. Um...did you ask Doctor Chen?" she asked him, while putting her hand over the receiver and telling them what had happened.

"What?! She's missing?" asked Xiao Jie. Ya Tou nodded her head.

"I already checked her office, but Gui wasn't there, and she was busy with a patient, so I didn't have time to explain to her about Gui's disappearance," said Aaron.

"Well, if you searched the whole hosptial already, then all you can do now is wait for us to arrive. We are almost at the hosptial, so wait for us in her room, when we get there, we will search for her," she said and hung up.

'Where can she be?' she asked herself.

Aaron walked back to Gui's room. When he was outside of her door, he made a wish.

'Okay, when I open this door, Gui will be in there sleeping,' he said to himself. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He opened to door, to find it empty. He sighed and walked to the vacant chair. He sat down and waited for everyone to show up.

Five minutes later, they all came running into Gui's room. They opened the door without knocking. Aaron looked up as the door opened, hoping that it was Gui, but when he saw them, disappointment washed over him.

"What's with the long face?" asked Xiao Man.

"What long face?" countered Aaron.

"Never mind that, where can she go?" asked Ya Tou.

"I don't know, she was here last night," he said.

"Last night? So, when you came in this morning she wasn't here?"

"I didn't leave last night. I stayed back. At around midnight, I dozed off. When I woke up this morning, she was gone."

"So...you didn't hear her get up and leave?" asked Ah Wei, as he examine the room.

"Nope. I didn't feel anything, which was strange, because I was holding her hand."

"Um...then where can she go? I mean, the hospital is not that big," said Xiao Jie, as she looked around.

"I don't know." They were still talking about Gui, when Doctor Chen entered the room. She didn't look too happy. They all looked up and saw that Doctor Chen was not happy with something. They didn't say anything, until she was about a foot away from them.

"What's wrong?" asked Ya Tou.

"Gui, she's gone and none of you told me," she stated. Everyone stared at Aaron, he leveled his eyes with them and sighed.

"Sorry, I wanted to tell you when I barged into your room earlier, but you were busy, so I just left," he said.

"Oh, I see, that's why you barged in. I was shock to see you, but you just left quietly. Anyways, did you guys searched the hospital?" she asked, concerned.

"Yea, I did. I searched everywhere, even had someone checked the bathroom for me, but she was no where to be seen," he said. They were puzzled. Where can she go? No one had the answer to that question. They just stared at each other and then to the door, wishing and hoping that she would enter any minute.

Doctor Chen left them alone in Gui's room. Two hours later, the door opened again, everyone stared at the door, with anticipation. They didn't want to put their hopes up, for they were afraid that it will be let them down, once again.

Danson Yan, Aaron's older brother entered the room first, followed by Gui. Everyone looked up and saw Gui standing behind him. They all got out of their seat and stared at the guy that she was with. Aaron couldn't believe it. His brother was back from the States, and he was with Gui. He smiled at everyone and helped Gui to her bed. He walked past Aaron and gave him a pat.

Danson helped Gui onto her bed and turned around to face them. He knew that they were worried, he could see it through their faces. He gave them a smirk, before answering any questions that they had.

"First of all, I'm not a bad person and I didn't kidnap Miss Ying Jie. I came early this morning to surprise my brother, since he never went home yesterday. Secondly, when I arrived, she was already up, even though she couldn't see me. I asked her if she was hungry or if she wanted to go out, so I took her out. I asked one of the nurses at the reception desk to let me take her out and she signed a release paper," he explained to them. Relieved washed over them.

"Your brother? You mean Ya Lun?" asked Ya Tou, as she pointed to Aaron.

"Ya Lun? No one calls him Ya Lun," he laughed, "yes, Aaron is my di, and I came to visit him. If I knew that he was here, I would've come here yesterday night, but since I didn't, I went up home first to find that he was here. My dad told me that he would be back, but he never did. So, I came to pay him a visit and to see the girl that was holding him back."

"Ge, why didn't you call me?" asked Aaron, as he smiled at his brother. It's been five years since he last saw his brother.

"I wanted too, but Butler Ren told me not to bother you since you've been stressed out, so I decided not to call. How are you doing? Feeling lonely?" he asked Aaron.

"I'm doing fine. I was lonely, but not anymore," he said as he looked at Gui, who was talking to the girls and Ah Wei.

"I'm glad, so who is the girl that calls you Ya Lun?" he asked as he watched them.

"Her name is Ya Tou, Zhang Ya Tou," he answered his brother.

"Zhang Ya Tou? You mean, Zhang Shan Jie's mei mei?" he asked. Aaron just looked at him confused. He had never heard of Zhang Shan Jie before.

"Whose Zhang Shan Jie?" he asked in confusion.

"I don't think you will remember him. You were probably two years old, when he came around," he answered his brother. He stared at Ya Tou for a moment, he was certain that she was his sister, but he wasn't sure. He watched her interact with Gui, before noticing that Ah Wei was giving him a cold stare. He turned and face Aaron again.

"That's Ah Wei," Aaron said, also noticing the cold stare from him, "he's Ya Tou's boyfriend."

"Oh, well, I'm not stealing her or anything, she just reminds me of her brother, or should I saw, Zhang Shan Jie," he said.

"Ahem, I want you guys to officially meet my brother," Aaron said, as everyone turned and stare at him. "This is Danson Yan Yu Zhe, he's my Ge. He just came back from the States." They all waved at him and introduced themselves.

"Hello, my name is Zhang Ya Tou," she said, smiling.

"Hello, I'm Chang Xiao Jie," she said.

"I'm Wang Shu Xuan, but you can just call me Xiao Man," she smiled at him.

"I'm Liu Jun Wei, but everyone calls me Ah Wei," he said.

"Nice to meet you guys, like Aaron said, I'm his older brother," he smiled at them. He stared at Ya Tou once more. She noticed that he was staring at her so she looked away.

"I'm sorry, but do you have something to say to me?" she asked him.

"Yea, um...are you Zhang Shan Jie's mei mei?" he asked. Ya Tou jerked up. She haven't heard that name since he was murdered.

"Yeah...he's...my Ge, but he died three years ago..." she trailed off, trying to fight the tears. Everyone was now staring at her, except for Gui.

She knew about Ya Tou's problems. She knew that before Ya Tou was poor, she was once rich, just like Gui, an accident striked, causing the death of her parents, leaving her with her only brother. Ya Tou was only two and her brother was only eight. They went to live with their grandfather until he passed away. At that time, Shan Jie had just graduated from college. He was studying business, and took over their family company. But three years ago, he was murdered by a group of gangs, who mistaken him from someone else. When he died, Ya Tou was just entering college. After his death, she had lost everything that she owned.

She never told anyone of her story, until she meet Gui. Ya Tou didn't know what to say. She was not expecting anyone to bring up her brother. She had to move to Taipei, so that no one will know her, but she never expected anyone to ask her about her brother. Danson watched her in pain. He never knew that he had died.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, making Ya Tou look up in surprise. No one had apologized to her, not even the family of the person who killed him.

"It's okay," she said, letting her tears fall, "he's in a better place now. He's with my parents, watching over me."

"I had no idea that he died. He used to play with me when we were in Keelung, he was one of my best friends. Do you remember living in Keelung?" he asked her. She thought about it for a moment, before answering him.

"I don't remember living in Keelung, but I do remember him telling that he had a friend in Keelung," she said.

"Um...how did he die?" Danson asked.

"A gang killed him. He was on his way home from work, and they mistaken him for someone else, so the killed him," she said softly. More tears rolled down her cheeks. Ah Wei wiped her tears in pain. He never knew that she had a brother. He never knew of her pain. He pulled her into his embrace and let her buried her face in his chest.

After a few hours, Doctor Chen came back and check to see if Gui was back, when she entered she saw Gui sitting on her bed talking to them. She walked up to them and asked Gui where she was. After answering Doctor Chen's questions, Gui went back to sleep. She was tired from the day's event. She was looking forward to the next day, where she was going to get discharge.

Everyone left, leaving the two Yan brothers with Gui. Aaron kissed Gui on the forehead, as Danson stared out the window. After a few hours, they went home. Aaron turned and stare at Gui once more, before shutting the door behind him.