Chapter 14

Tears of Happiness

Chapter 14

For the next three weeks, Aaron kept himself busy. He didn’t want to see Hebe. He didn’t know why, but he felt that he needed some time alone first. He wanted to clear his mind before facing Hebe. He didn’t know what to do about her. She just came back out of nowhere and he wasn’t ready. He wasn’t ready to face her yet. Gui didn’t question Aaron. She trusted him.

On the third week, she started to question him. Even though she trusts him, she was hurting. He had been so busy lately, that he doesn’t even remember her birthday. It her birthday and he didn’t even call or text her, to say ‘happy birthday.’ She didn’t mind not being with him, but she couldn’t tolerate the fact that he didn’t even give her a birthday wish. She went to school, with a smile. She didn’t want anyone to know that she wasn’t happy on her birthday.

Once she entered the school, there were a bunch of students gathered around the front. She was surprised to see them there. They all had gifts in their hands and she saw a banner hanging from the back. It read “HAPPY BIRTHDAY AH GUI!” She smiled, as her friends approached her and handed her gifts, followed the rest of the group. She was happy, but not as happy as she would like. She feigns a smile, so they won’t know her true feelings. She went to her classes to find more gifts on her desk. She smiled and read every single note during lunch. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie watched as she smiled at each one.

Ah Ben, Wang Zi and Mao Di walked up to them. They had gifts in their hands. Gui looked up as she saw their shoes. She smiled at them and stared at their gifts.

“Here,” said Ah Ben, as he handed her three gifts.

“Thanks,” she said, with a smile.

“Wow, that’s a lot of gifts,” said Mao Di.

“Tell me about it,” she said.

“Happy Birthday,” said Wang Zi, as he hugs her.

“Thanks,” she said, with a big smile.

“So, tell me, what you received for your birthday?” asked Ah Ben.

“Um…why don’t you just take a look for yourself,” she laughed. Ah Ben skimmed through her pile of gifts. “Oh, that reminds me, this is for you two.” She handed Ah Ben and Wang Zi a wrapped box. They look at her with confusion. She just smiles at them.

“Ah Gui, it’s not our birthday, so why are you giving us gifts?” asked Wang Zi.

“It’s not from me. I’m just the messenger,” she said. They ripped the wrapping paper from the box and open it. Inside was a bracelet, with their initials. Ah Ben took out his bracelet and read the inscribed words, ‘Weng Rui Di.’ Wang Zi also read the inscribed words on his bracelet, ‘Qiu Sheng Yi.’ They looked at her, and she just smiled at them. They put the bracelets back into the box and put it in their bags.

“Ah Gui, who gave these to us?” asked Wang Zi.

“I’m not sure if they are from Xiao Xun or her mother. Yesterday, they packed up. Huang Ma had asked me to help her since Xiao Xun already left for the States that evening, so before I left, she handed me three boxes. One of each of you and one for Aaron,” she said.

“Xiao Xun left?” asked Ya Tou.

“Yea, I was going to tell you guys this morning, but there was a commotion because of my birthday,” she said.

“Why did she leave all of a sudden?” asked Xiao Jie.

“I’m not to sure, but Huang Ma said that Huang Pa had to change his job again,” she said. They all nodded, as if that explanation explained everything.

“Wait, why is she giving these to us?” asked Ah Ben.

Gui smiled, “because…she likes you guys. Haven’t you notice?”

“No,” answered Wang Zi. Gui rolled her eyes at them.

“Yup, she has been crushing on you three for the longest them ever,” she said. When the bell rang, they went to class. Gui entered her room and found more presents on her desk. She read each and every note, but none of them were from Aaron. She sighed and pushed them aside. She didn’t know why Aaron has not wished her a ‘happy birthday’ yet, but she was getting suspicious. When her last class ended, she waited for Ya Tou before heading to the library. She was working on her homework when she received a text. She took our phone and flipped it open. She read the text: ‘Happy Birthday Ah Gui!’ -Danson- She text him back, thanking him for the wish.

She couldn’t believe it. Even Aaron’s brother, who she just met not that long ago, wished her a ‘happy birthday.’ She didn’t wait for her friends when school ended. She went straight to her car and drove home. Once she was home, she went straight to her room. She didn’t want to cry, but she couldn’t stop her tears from falling. After a few hours, she went to her balcony and stared at the sky. It was getting dark.

‘Ma, Pa, today is my birthday. I’m twenty three today. I wish that you two were here to celebrate it with him. Ma, Pa, I missed you two so much. I love you with all of my heart,’ she said to herself. She stayed outside until dinner. She went downstairs and celebrates her birthday with her grandfather, maids and servants. Calvin baked a cake for her. She hugged him, after he set her cake on in front of her. She made three wishes, before blowing out the candles. They ate dinner and the cake that Calvin made. Gui loved celebrating her birthday with her family. This was the second year, she celebrate her birthday without her parents. She was happy, happier than that morning.

After the celebration, she went to room and took a shower. When she was done taking a shower, she walked to her bed and arranged her gifts. She scattered them all over the room. Some were hung on the wall, and others were on her shelves. She smiled at her work. After a few minutes, she started to doze off.