Chapter 21

Tears of Happiness

Chapter 21

"I'm afraid that Gui is..." she trailed off, trying to find the right words. "...shutting off the bad memories or should I say, those that had made her cry."

"Cry? What do you mean?" asked Aaron.

"Well, I can't be too sure. I mean, this is the first time, I've experienced something like this. From my understanding, Gui's parents are dead, but from this, she wants to remember their presence. She is shutting off their death, and living in their shadows. I don't know if it makes sense, but from what I'm seeing, this is what she is doing, shutting out the bad memories and keeping the good ones," she said.

"So, you're saying that she forgot us on purpose?" asked Danson.

"I'm guessing that everyone of you took part in a memory that had made her cry," she said.

They just stood there in silence. No one said a word. They thought about Dr. Chen's theory. They weren't sure if she was right, but it made sense.

"Wait, if that was the case, then why doesn't she remember me or Danson?" asked Jason. "I mean, I just met her not that long ago, and I wasn't part of her past."

"Well, in my opinion, she probably forgot about you because you're Xiao Xun's husband. As for me, well, I'm Aaron's brother. I think that she forgot about us because we all played a part in her past. Wang Zi and Mao Di are brothers and Xiao Xun use to like Wang Zi. Xiao Man was present when Gui got kicked out of Morning Glory. I'm guessing that there is a connection among us, somehow," explained Danson.

"Well, if that's the case, then why did she remembers only her family members, Ya Tou and Xiao Jie?" asked Ah Wei.

"I'm guessing that her family are important to her, even if they do make her cry, they are still her family. As for Ya Tou and Xiao Jie, they have been there for her," said Danson.

"Okay, I get it. But there's still one thing that I don't get, why would she do this?" asked Aaron.

"Yeah, why would she do this? I don't understand her," said Xiao Xun.

"Well, from observing her, I'm guessing that she is in denial. I think that this is how she cope with denial, by shutting down. I'm not too sure myself either, but this is probably her way of dealing with everything," said Dr. Chen.

They went back into Gui's room and found that she was missing. They searched the whole hospital and she was nowhere to be found. They contacted the police to help them search for Gui. Everyone was anxiously searching for her.

Gui had overheard their conversation. She couldn't believe it. She could tolerate the fact that she's blind again, what is disturbing to her is that she had forgotten those she loved just because of the tears that had fallen from her eyes. She didn't know how, but she was able to find her way to the bus stop. She got of at Keelung, Taiwan. She didn't want to stay in Taiwan. She ended up at Ren Jia Xuan's house. Jia Xuan was one her childhood friends. She goes by Selina and is correctly leaving in Keelung.

Gui wanted Selina's help. She want to remember everyone, but she knows that she had shut off her bad memories. Selina was surprise to see Gui at her house. She had heard about Gui's blindness through the newspapers. She found Gui sitting outside of her porch when she got. She helped Gui inside and they had dinner together.

"Gui, what brings you here?" she asked, eying her.

"Selina, I know that your sister, Rong Jia, is a doctor, I was wondering if she can help me with something," said Gui.

"What?"

"Today, I heard the saddest thing that had happened to me. I was in a coma for no more than a week and I have shut off the bad memories including those who were involve in them. Selina, I need yours and your sister's help. I want to remember them again. I over heard that I have a boyfriend, but I don't even remember him or how he looks like. Selina, I'm begging you, please help me."

"Calm down, I'll asked Rong Jia and my brother in law, Wei Lian, to help you. They are both doctors. Let me see, they will be home in two hours. So, when they get home, I will ask them and you can tell them about your situation, okay?"

"Thank you so much."

"No problem. Um...I have a question to ask you. How were you able to find my house in Keelung, when you're blind and when you haven't been here since you were eight?"

"I don't know. I guess it's just my intuition. I really don't know how I got here. When I left the hospital, I knew that I must find you. I didn't even know how I was able to leave the hospital."

"Gui, does anyone know that you're here?"

"No, but Selina, please don't tell anyone. Let me recover first before you tell them. I really need the help I can get."

"I won't tell them, but you have to promise me one thing."

"What?"

"Once you're better, you have to tell them that you were here. I don't want them to worry about you, since I don't know how long you will be staying here with me."

"I promise that once I get better, I will let them know." Without that, the two friends talked about their lives. It has been so long since Gui last lived in Keelung. When Wei Lian and Rong Jia came home, Selina explained Gui's situation to them. Rong Jia knew actually what Gui was going through. She had a patient just like Gui two months ago. She volunteered to help Gui, along with her husband. Gui was to be checked into Keelung Hospital in a week's time. Rong Jia wants to keep Gui in her house first, so that she can observe Gui.

Back in Taipei, everyone was searching for Gui. They have spent the last three days searching for her. The police also got involved, but eventually stopped, since they had an important mission to work on.

Gui had been working with Rong Jia and Wei Lian for two months now. She was starting to remember the things that she shut off. She remembered her parents death and the incident with Xiao Xun. But she still hasn't remember Aaron. She wanted to remember him, but she couldn't. She remembered Danson, Wang Zi, and Mao Di. She also remembered Morning Glory and everyone else, but Aaron still remains a blur to her.

For the past two months, everyone was still searching for Gui. Xiao Xun and Jason had left for the States, but everyone else was still eager to find her. Her position as the planning manager was vacant. Ah Ben didn't know if he should hire a new manager or wait until they find Gui. Her works in progress has been put off until she was found. The board of directors understood their situation. Aaron was constantly searching for Gui when he's not working. he would always check online for anyone being found. He wanted to see her. He wanted to touch her and kiss her again. He had missed her so much.

Everyone saw a change in him. He was different for the past two months. He had lost weight and he kept everything to himself. He is always looking for Gui. Danson was the first to notice his change. He had propose to Xiao Jie, but because of Gui, she had ask him to postpone the wedding until Gui was found. Danson understood her and he always wanted Gui at his wedding. Ya Tou and Ah Wei are also engaged, and waiting for Gui's return for their wedding. Xiao Man is now dating Ah Ben.

Rong Jia and Wei Lian tried to help Gui remember Aaron, but they knew that she will never remember him. Rong Jia couldn't comprehend why Aaron was a blur to Gui, but she knew that Gui had tried her best. There was no other way for her to remember Aaron. She had to break the news to Gui. One night, Rong Jia along with Wei Lian and Selina, went to visit Gui in her room at the hospital.

"Gui, I have something to tell. It's concerning your memory. I know that you have tried really hard to remember everyone in your past and you did, expect for Aaron, your boyfriend. For the last two months, you regained your eyesight and memories. I'm proud of you. But as for remembering Aaron, you will never remember him. You will lock up your memories of him. I don't know why you chose to do this, but you did. It's not your fault, so don't blame yourself. For the last two months, I saw your determination. I know that you didn't do this, but your brain did. I do, however, have a question for you. Why can't you remember Aaron? Is something or someone preventing you to remember him?" she asked.

"Rong Jia, I don't remember anything. But, I do remember Tian Fu Zhu. I don't know why, but I dream about her. I remembered that she was a friend but I don't know what role she played in my life," she said.

"Wait, you dream about Tian Fu Zhu?" asked Wei Lian.

"Yes, she would always show up in my dreams. In my dreams, she is asking me to leave. She only need three months. She is dying and she only need three months," she said, "I don't know what she meant by this, because I don't really remember the last time I've talked to her."

"Tian Fu Zhu? Isn't she...didn't she use to be under your care, babe?" asked Wei Lian.

"Tian Fu Zhu? I'm not too sure, but her name does ring the bell," said Rong Jia.

"In your dreams, how she is dressed?" asked Wei Lian.

"Um...I'm not too sure. I mean, I can't really see her clothing, just her face. She has short hair and she's really pretty," she said.

"Gui, I need you to stay with us for another month, but you will not be staying in here. I'm going to discharge you today. I need to observe you at home and I know that you are tired of staying in the hospital," said Wei Lian. He left the room.

"Gui, are you feeling okay?" asked Selina.

"I'm fine. Just a little shock by the news," she replied with a smile.

"Gui, don't get disheartened by the news. I believe that you will remember him. I think that Wei Lian has figured something out with your dreams," said Rong Jia. Twenty minutes later, Wei Lian returned with papers in his hands.

"Okay, Ms. Wu Ying Jie, you are free to leave tonight. We will bring you home and I will observe you tomorrow, since it's Saturday. All I need from you is to record your dreams," he said.

They left he hospital and went back to Selina's house. Gui went to the guest room. She didn't know what Wei Lian had in store for her, but she was ready. She was ready to remember Aaron. She didn't know why, but it hurt her. She didn't know why, but she feels his pain. She felt like he was connected to her. She felt his every pain. She wanted to remember him. She didn't know why, but she had a feeling that he was an important person in her life.

Aaron was checking his email, when he got a call from an anonymous person. He checked the number but it was from a phone booth.

"Hello?" he said.

"Is this Yan Ya Lun?" asked a girl through the other side.

"Yes, and this is?" he asked.

"Um...I have something to report. Are you looking for a girl name Wu Ying Jie?" she asked him.

"Yes, have you seen her?" he asked.

"I'm not too sure if its her, but I've seen someone who looks like her in the Keelung area."

"Keelung? Where did you see her in Keelung?"

"At Keelung Hospital. I think she has been check in. I'm not too sure about the details, but I was in Taipei last week and saw a flier for a missing person. Yesterday, I saw her at Keelung Hospital. I'm not sure why she's there, but she seemed like she's ill. She was pale and it seems as if she had lost weight."

"Are you a resident at Keelung?"

"Yes, I live here."

"Okay, um...thanks for the information. I really appreciate it."

After hanging up his phone, he called everyone and asked them to meet him at his house. He walked over to Danson's room and knocked on his door. He opened and let him in.

"What's wrong?" he asked Aaron.

"Nothing. I just got a report," he said.

"A report?" asked Danson, with raised eyebrows.

"Yea, well, I called everyone and asked them to come. They should be here any minute. I'm calling for a meeting," he said.

"A meeting? So, it's important?" he asked.

"Of course it's important. We've made a progress," he said and left Danson's room. When Aaron was half way down the stairs he heard the door bell. His butler opened the door and he saw his friends walking in one by one. He smiled and walked down the stairs. Danson was right behind Aaron. He was curious of what Aaron had found.

"Okay," he said, "I just got a report."

"What kind of report?" asked Xiao Jie, siting next to Danson.

"Yea, don't keep us waiting," said Ya Tou.

"Just right now, someone called me and said that she saw Gui at Keelung Hospital. She said that she's not sure why Gui's there, but she thinks that Gui is ill. She said that Gui looks pale and it seems as if she had lost weight," he said.

"Did she leave you her number?" asked Ah Wei.

"No, but tomorrow, I would like us to go to Keelung, since we don't have to work tomorrow. What do you think?" he asked them.

"That sounds good. When do we leave?" asked Danson.

"Let's meet here at four and we'll leave at 4:30," said Aaron. Everyone agreed with his decision and left. They knew that this was their biggest progress since Gui had gone missing. They were ready. They are prepared to bring her back. They are prepared to accept whatever she's going through. They were going to help her get better.

The next morning, they met at Aaron's house and left for Keelung. At around seven, they arrived at Keelung Hospital. They asked the receptionist and found out that she was discharged the night before. Aaron cursed. They were leaving the hosptial, when Wei Lian saw Danson.

'Yan Yu Zhe?' he said to himself. He watched as Danson was heading out the door. "Yan Yu Zhe!" he shouted. Danson turned around and saw someone standing there. He pointed to himself and he saw that the man nodded.

"Um...do I know you?" he asked, as the man got closer.

"Danson, you don't remember me? It's me Wei Lian. We studied in the States together, along with Rong Jia," he said. Danson finally remember and gave him a hug.

"Oh my goodness, Liao Yi Yin! What a surprise. Are you the doctor here?" he asked. Everyone else was just staring at them.

"Yea, I'm working here. Where did you leave after graduation?" he asked.

"I came back here," he said.

"Really? Why didn't you tell us? If you were to tell us, we would have sent you an invitation to our wedding," he said.

"You and Rong Jia finally tied the knot?" he asked.

"Yea," he said.

"When?" asked Danson.

"Two years ago," he replied. Danson introduced his friends to Wei Lian. After the introductions, they left. Wei Lian was walking to his office when he just remembered something. He ran after them. "Danson, wait up!" He shouted. They came to a halt and waited for him to catch up to them.

"What's up?" asked Danson.

"I was just wondering, why are you guys here? Are you visiting someone?" he asked.

"Yes and no. We came to look for someone," he said.

"Who?" he asked.

"Our friend, Aaron's girlfriend, Wu Ying Jie. Do you know her?" he asked.

"You mean Gui?" Wei Lian asked.

"Yea, you know her?" asked Danson.

"Yes, she was my patient. Um..she just got discharged yesterday," he replied.

"Um...do you know how she is doing?" asked Aaron.

"She's fine. A friend of hers discharged her yesterday. She is doing fine. She remembered everyone and had regain her eye sight, but she is still trying to remember you. She is under her friend's care. Her friend's sister and husband is observing her at their place. She is having dreams about Tian Fu Zhu, and her friend's brother in law believes that this 'Tian Fu Zhu' is the key to her not remembering you," he said.

"Can we go and visit her?" asked Ya Tou.

"I'm afraid not. I don't know her friend's address. I just know that her friend's brother in law is a doctor and he can help her. If I get anymore information about her, I will let you know. Here's my card," he said, handing Aaron his card. With that, he left them out in the yard. He wanted more time with Gui, so he was not going to tell them where's at. Not until he healed her.

They went back to Taipei. Sadden by the news, Aaron went to his room. He really wanted to know where Gui is. After a few minutes of thinking, he came to conclude that since he already know where she is, he will start to search for her there. He really wanted to see her once more. He had missed her so much, since she's been gone. he took out his phone and called Old Mister Wu. He told him that Gui was in Keelung with a friend and is wondering if he would know someone there.

"Keelung? I think that Gui has a friend there, but it's been so long since Gui last step foot in Keelung. I'm not sure if her friend is still there though. I heard that he moved. So..I can't help you," said Old Mister Wu.

Wei Lian let Gui know that her friends were looking for her. She just nodded her head and went to her room. Wei Lian watched as she shut the door behind her. He had something he wanted to tell Selina and Rong Jia.

"Okay, Gui is recovering quite well. I just found out that Tian Fu Zhu is dead and she is the reason why Gui has chose to forget about Aaron. I believe that if we bring Gui to her grave, maybe just maybe she will be able to remember. I'm not sure though. But if it doesn't work she might..." he said, trying to find the right words. He wasn't sure of what to say next.