Chapter 12

Tears of Happiness

Chapter 12

The next day, Gui got up extra early. She wanted to surprise her grandfather with breakfast. She got dressed in her uniform and walked into the kitchen. Chief Calvin was surprised to see her in his kitchen. He hasn’t seen her in his kitchen for the longest time ever. He walked over to her and gave her a hug.

“Ah Gui! Welcome back to Chen Yi Ru’s kitchen!” he shouted as Gui pulled away from his hug.

“I’m glad to be back. Ah, I missed this place,” she said with a smile. It has been a very long time, since she last step foot in the kitchen. She went into a closet and grabbed an apron. She didn’t want her school uniform to get dirty. She had already pulled her hair into a ponytail. Calvin smiled at her and led her into his favorite place. They started making Old Master Wu’s favorite dishes. Old Master Wu came out of his room and walked into the dinning room for his breakfast. He waited for two minutes, before Gui entered the room with his breakfast. She placed his food down in front of him and gave him a kiss on the cheeks. She smiled at her and she sat down next to him. He took a bite of his breakfast and smiled at his granddaughter. It’s been awhile since he last had his granddaughter’s homemade breakfast.

“Ah Gui, how did you know that ye ye missed your cooking?” he asked her in awe.

“It’s called Granddaughter intuition,” she said. He laughed at her. She seemed happier now that she can see again.

“Oh, okay, Ah Gui, I see that you are smiling more often now,” he said to her.

“Of course, ye ye, I can see now and I can make breakfast for you every morning now too,” she said happily. As much as she missed being blind, she had to admit that she loved being able to see.

After breakfast, she went to the garage and drove herself to school. She had missed driving and was glad that Butler Yi let her drive to school, even though she had just recovered from her transplant. When she walked onto campus, everyone turned their heads. Morning Glory was standing by the gates, when they saw Gui walking in. She was wearing glasses and smiling. A group of girls ran up to Gui.

“Ah Gui! Welcome back!” said one of the girls.

“Yea, are you ready to take down Xiao Xun?” another asked.

“No, I’m not taking anyone down. I believe that she deserve her spot in Morning Glory,” she laughed.

“You should bring her down. I mean, she stole Aaron from her,” said another. At the mention of Aaron’s name, send a pain through her heart. She smiled at them, and left their group when she saw Ya Tou and rest of the gang walking in.

“Well, I’m going to leave now,” she said, “bye.” She waved to them and walked over to where her friends were standing. They greeted her with a smile. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie walked Gui over to her classrooms, just like the first day of school. Gui had a strong photographic memory, so she was able to memorize all of her class numbers in last than an hour. When the bell rang for homeroom, Ya Tou and Gui went to class, as for Xiao Jie, she went to the library.

Aaron was running late, so he didn’t even see Gui. Everyone on campus knew that Gui went to Korea for vacation and they were shock to see her back with glasses. Gui didn’t have any classes with Aaron, since he was a third year student, so he didn’t know that Gui was back. He was walking to his class before lunch, when he overheard, Qiu Sheng Yi and Weng Rui Di talking about Gui.

“Wang Zi, do you remember my cousin, Ah Gui?” he asked.

“Yea, why?” said Wang Zi.

“Well, she’s back from Korea. She can see now. I’m glad that she is happier now that she can see again. I mean, it’s not perfect eyesight and she needs glasses, but she can see,” he said.

“That’s good,” he said, “I bet she is a lot prettier with glasses on.”

“She is,” he said, “I mean, she was already beautiful. Now, that she’s back, there will be plenty of letters on her desk waiting for her.”

Aaron couldn’t believe his ears. He walked in and sat down. He couldn’t wait to go and find Gui. He wanted to see how she looked like with glasses on. He was happy. He knew that Xiao Xun wasn’t able to do anything, since Gui can see again. When the bell ran for lunch, he ran out of the room. He went to search for Ya Tou. He found them at their usual place. He walked up to them, and Gui looked up. She gave him the biggest smile he ever saw.

“Aaron,” she said, “so…this is how you look like.”

“Huh?” he asked.

“I’m just glad that I get see you in person, or should I say, I get to see your face,” she said.

“Oh, well, yea,” he said.

“What brings you here?” she asked.

“Just visiting,” he said.

“Well, you better leave before your girlfriend gets made at you,” she said. He saw sadness in her eyes when she said this. He wanted to tell her that he loved her. He wanted to scream it out. She just stared at him. He didn’t budge. He had so many things to say to her.

“Aaron, there you are,” said Xiao Xun, coming out of nowhere. Gui got up, along with everyone else.

“Xiao Xun,” said Gui.

“Ah Gui, I see that you got your eyes fixed,” she said angrily.

“Yea,” she said.

“Well, I’m just taking my boyfriend,” she said, as she walked to Aaron and wrapped her arm around his. He pushed her off him. “What are you doing?”

“Xiao Xun, I’m not your boyfriend, and I never loved you,” he said, facing Gui, who had grabbed her bags and starting to leave. He grabbed her arm, turning her around to face him. “Ah Gui, I love you. I have been falling in love you for the past year and a half. I’ve loved you since the day I met you at the street vendor. Ah Gui, because of you, I was able to be the Aaron that I want to be. You changed me and I’m grateful for that. Everyday I am falling deeper in love for you. I know that you can feel it too, because I can feel your love for me.” Tears rolled down her cheeks. She had longed to hear these words for the longest time ever. She couldn’t believe that he was saying them to her right there and then. He wiped her tears and kissed her in front of everyone. Ya Tou and the others cheered, while Morning Glory turned away from the sight.

Gui pulled away, “I love you too Aaron Yan Ya Lun. You, too, have changed me. I am also falling deeper in love with you, everyday.” He pulled her closer to him and hugged her tightly. He couldn’t believe it. After a year and a half of loving her, he was able to confess to her.

Someone stood far from sight. She watched as Aaron hugged Gui. She saw happiness in his eyes, but she needed him. She was dying soon, and she needed him to save her. She knew that he is the only one she wants to spend the next three months with. She was going to make him leave his new girlfriend. After a few more minutes, she turned and left, leaving the new happy couple.