Chapter 1

Tears of Happiness

Chapter 1

Gui was a kind-hearted person. She loved everyone around her and she treat everyone the same. She was the daughter of a rich business man, but she doesn't care about her status. She was friends with people from the lower classes. She called her maids and servants by their names and asked them to just call her Gui. She was also their friends and treat them like her friends. She was also well respected and loved by everyone around her. But when an accident strike, who can she turned to and who will be her real friends?

Gui and her parents were on their way to visit her sick grandma in Hsinchu, when they got into an accident. They were hit by a truck on the freeway, where they were making a turn on a steep cliff. The truck had flee the accident, leaving the overturned car on the rode. A young man was also on his way to Hsinchu, when he saw the overturned car. He called the ambulance and tried to pull everyone in the car out. When the ambulance arrived, they rushed Gui to the hospital. Her parents had died at the scene.

In that same hospital, Aaron was in a room with his dying mother. His father had gone out to buy some food, and his brother had not arrived yet. Tears rolled down his cheeks as he watched his mother. He blamed himself for everything. If he hadn't gotten angry with her, maybe she wouldn't be in the hospital. When his father returned, he left the room, so that his father can have some time alone. He was walking to the lobby, when he saw some doctors rushed a girl, covered with blood, to the emergency room. He said a little prayer for her.

Gui was under operation for eight hours. The doctors wanted to save her life. They knew that without a heart transplant she was going to die. Doctor Wang, who was in charge of her operation, contacted a different doctor from one of the top hospitals in Taipei, for a heart. Two hours later, they were able to receive the heart and give her the transplant.

Two months later, she finally woke up. She opened her eyes, but everything was dark. She could hear people walking, but she couldn't see them. She couldn't recognized their voices either. She tried to sit up, but she was in pain. She touched her hand, and felt wires attached to her. She didn't know what was going on.

"Hello?!" she shouted. She then heard the door opening and someone entering the room. The person walked up to her.

"Miss Wu Ying Jie, you're finally awake," she said. Gui heard her leave and returned again, with more people.

"Um...can someone please turn on the lights?" she asked.

"Miss Wu, my name is Doctor Wang, I was the one overseeing you. As for the lights, you are blind. When your car was hit, it damaged a nerve in your eye, causing you to go blind. We can't fix it right now, but we will gladly send you to Seoul, so that they can help you," he told her. She was surprised, no, she was shock. How can she be blind?

Gui started to panic. What was happening to her? She was restless, she tried to get up, but two nurses held her down.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M BLIND? I CAN'T BE BLIND! WHERE ARE MY PARENTS?! I WANT TO SEE THEM. I WANT TO TALK TO THEM. WHERE ARE THEY?!" she shouted. Doctor Wang watched her. He knew that she was going to react like this, so he was prepared. The nurses calmed her down, then he started to answer her questions.

"Miss Wu, you're parents died at the scene. You are now the only Wu left in Taiwan. You're uncle is coming back next week to check up on you. Miss Wu, as for you being blind, like I said earlier, if you want, I can send you to a more equipped hospital" he said to her. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She had a make a decision. She thought about it for awhile.

"Doctor Wang," she said calmly, "it's okay. I don't mind being blind. I mean, my parents are gone already, so I don't see the point of getting my eyes fixed." Doctor Wang stared at her. He was surprise that she didn't want to get her eye fixed. He smiled and asked the nurses to help Gui to the testing room. He wanted to run some tests on her. In the testing room, he ran various types of tests on Gui. He wanted to make sure she was fine. After a few hours of testing, the nurses helped her back to her room.

The next day, the head of the maids and servants, came to visit her. She did not know that Gui was blind. She walked and saw Gui by the window. Gui was taking in the sun. She was going to learn how to be independent. She was going get use to her blindness with the help of her friends.

"Miss Gui, how are you doing?" the head of the maids asked her. She did not turn around. She was trying to recognized the voice.

"Um...who are you?" she asked as she turned around. Xiao Nan was confused. She didn't know why Gui was acting like that.

"Miss Gui, it's me Xiao Nan," she said.

"Xiao Nan?"

"Yes." Gui walked to her bed. Xiao Nan watched as Gui stuck out her arm and walked to the bed, by feeling. Xiao Nan thought that Gui was just playing a joke on her. "Miss Gui, you don't have to pretend to be blind."

Gui smiled, "Xiao Nan, I'm not putting on a pretense, I am blind." This news was a shock to her. When she received the phone call about the Wus, she couldn't believe it. She couldn't believe that Master and Mistress Wu had left the world, leaving Young Mistress alone, but this news was a lot more shocking to her than the deaths of Gui's parents.

"Gui, I'm sorry," she said. She went up to Gui and hugged her. "Gui, we will be here for you. I came to bring you home." Tears rolled down her cheeks. She had missed home, but she didn't want to go home. She felt that there was nothing at home for her now. Everything she had was gone. Her parents were gone. She knew that her uncle would take over the company, but she didn't care. Xiao Nan Gui's hair. She knew Gui's pain.

Three days later, Gui was able to leave the hospital. Butler Yi came to pick her up from Taipei Hospital. On their way home, Gui asked Butler Yi to stop at her favorite street vendor. She was hungry and wanted to eat 'Hot and Spicy Pot.' Xiao Nan helped Gui out of the car, and into an empty seat. She also helped Gui ordered a bowl of 'Hot and Spicy Pot.'

Aaron was wondering the streets when he saw Gui. He didn't know who she was, but he remembered her from the hospital. He watched as she ate her food. He didn't know what was wrong with her, until he came closer. He noticed that she was feeling her food. He watched her, fascinated by her. Gui was smiling as she was eating her food, but tears rolled down her cheeks. Aaron walked up to her and sat opposite her. Xiao Nan and Butler Yi watched him from the car.

Gui heard someone sat down. She wasn't sure if it was Xiao Nan or Butler Yi. She extended her arm, and touched his face. Aaron closed his eyes and allowed her to feel his complexion. After touching his face, she couldn't identify who he was.

"Um...hello, may I ask for you name?" she asked him.

"My name is Yan Ya Lun, but you can just call me Aaron," he replied.

"My name is Wu Ying Jie, but you can just call me Gui."

"Gui? As in ghost?"

"Yup," she said smiling.

"I have a question to ask you. I saw you in the hospital awhile back, why were you there?"

"I was in an accident."

"Oh, I see."

"Why were you there?"

"Um...it's kind of complicated." Gui just gave him a nod. When Gui was done eating, she called Xiao Nan over to help her paid for the food.

"Thanks for the talk, Aaron. Maybe I'll see you around...um...maybe you will see me around. Or should I say, until we meet again," she gave him another smile and Xiao Nan helped her into the car. Aaron watched as the car drove off. He had never met someone blind before. It was his first time meeting her. He felt himself smile.

'Maybe, she will be the one,' he said to himself as he got up and left.

When Gui got home, she went to her room. It was different now. She touched her things, but they felt different. She knew that it was going to take awhile for her to get use to being blind. Two hours after her arrival, Zhang Ya Tou and Chang Xiao Jie (g) came to visit her. Actually, they were her only visitor.

"Gui," said Ya Tou as she entered the room. Gui tried hard to recognized the voice. After a few seconds, she knew who it was.

"Ya Tou!" she shouted, "I'm so glad you guys are here to visit me." Ya Tou frown at Gui. She looked at Xiao Jie then back at Gui and then at Xiao Jie again. Xiao Jie just shrugged at Ya Tou. They knew that Gui was blind. Before Gui was discharged, Xiao Nan had called Ya Tou about Gui's condition. She then told everyone else at school, but now that Gui doesn't have anything anymore no one wanted to visit her. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie tried to get them to visit her, but since she's no longer the princess, they refused to see her.

"Gui, it's only me and Xiao Jie," she said sadly. Gui could sense the sadness in her voice.

"Where's everyone?" she asked.

"Gui, since your parents died, and your blind, you don't have anymore friends. We are you're only friends now. I tried telling them to come, but they said that you are no longer the princess of Tai Ke, so they refused to come," Xiao Jie said with sadness. Gui smiled at them. She was sort of expecting this from them. She knew that her uncle was now in charge of the company, at least until her grandfather gets better.

"Why are you smiling?" asked Ya Tou confused. She looked at Xiao Jie.

"I'm smiling because, you two are still my friends. Also, I was kind of expecting this. I mean, I know that you and Xiao Jie are poor, that's why I'm friends with you two. I know that you two are not my friends because of my status. I can tell that the rest are just my friends because they don't want to be enemies with my father's company," she said with a smile. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie hugged her.

They were poor indeed, but they loved Gui because of her big heart. They knew that Gui didn't care much about being rich. She wasn't a princess at all. She dressed like them and she never boast about her status. That's why, it hurt them so much, when they heard that no one wanted to visit her because she was blind and was not longer a princess in their eyes.

After dinner, Ya Tou and Xiao Jie left. They needed to finish some homework and study for a test. Gui walked them to the door and hugged them good bye. When they were gone, she walked to her room. She walked to the balcony of her room and stared at the sky. Even though she couldn't see them, she could feel them. She smiled.

'Ma, Pa, I know what you are in Heaven now. It's going to be hard, but I know that you two will watch over me. Ma, Pa, I'm blind now, and only have two friends now, but...I'm a lot stronger too. Thank you. I love you, Ma and Pa.' she said to herself, before going back inside. Once inside, she walked to her bed and fell asleep.