Promise

DESTINY

NOBODY POV

It’s been 2 days since Taekwoon were staying in the hospital and he still unconscious.  According to the doctor, he will be fine after he survived from the major injury in his head. Since that day, Eunji never leave his side. She’s regretting. Never in her thought that things could turn this way.

‘Why would you save me, Taekwoon? I don’t deserve this’

She look at Taekwoon who is sleeping soundly on the bed. His breath looks stable but still makes Eunji scare. Scare if anything bad will happen if Taekwoon didn’t open his eyes.

‘Please, wake up.. Don’t be like this. It’s hurting me, Taekwoon’ Eunji hold his arm tightly hoping Taekwoon would hear and feel her warm hands.

“Eunji” Someone taps Eunji shoulder from behind.

She turns and see Hakyeon standing behind her.

“Hakyeon..I..feel wrong..I shouldn’t do this to him..” Eunji start to sobbing.

“shhh..Don’t say like that. It’s not your fault. Let’s just pray that he will wake up soon. Okay?” Hakyeon assure.

Eunji nodded and spotted Hayoung behind Hakyeon looking anxious.

“Have you eaten?” Hakyeon ask.

“Not yet.. “

“You should eat, Eunji-ah. How you can take care of Taekwoon if you can’t take care of yourself” Hakyeon start nagging making Eunji chuckle.

“But I don’t have appetite.” She’s whining.

“Okay, you should go eat now. I will wait here. Hayoungie, can you come along with unnie to the café? Make sure she eat something.” Hakyeon asked Hayoung.

“Okay, dad..But, money?”

Hakyeon chuckle and tease. “What money? Used unnie’s”

Eunji glare at Hakyeon that love teasing her. She stands and grabs Hayoung hand, leaving Hakyeon with Taekwoon for a while. After making sure, both of the girls out of room, Hakyeon sat beside the bed.

“I’m sorry, Taekwoon. You wouldn’t be like this if I didn’t get involve with Eunji. I was wrong”

Hakyeon hold his best friend hand and linked with his hand.

“I never hate you. You are the one and only best friend that I have in this world. Remember when we first met? I’m crying because some bullies took my ice cream and you come to save me.. Instead, you got beaten by them.” Hakyeon laugh softly.

“There’s one time, you almost got hit by a car when you tried to save a cat? Then you got sulk because the cat ignores you? I laugh so hard that time. Your mom said you came home and crying badly. You said I’m mean.” Hakyeon smile remembering all those past memories of them.

“Oh yes, when we were 18. The first time you have crush with a girl at our school. Turns out that girl is a guy. I still remember your face is so frustrated with that fact. Did you still remember, Woon-ah?” Hakyeon look at Taekwoon and let out sigh.

“You know, this is my first time falling in love with a girl. I didn’t know she’s yours. If I knew, I wouldn’t even get close with her at the first place. I will never took away my best friend’s girlfriend..”

“But now, things have gone too far. I can’t let Eunji go. But at the same time, you…” Hakyeon stops.

The sudden beep sound from the machine startled him out. Hakyeon stands up and saw Taekwoon’s fingers are moving at the same place.

“Taekwoon…Did you hear me?”

Taekwoon showing some responds upon hearing a voice. He try to open his eyes but its too bright.

“I will call the doctor..”

:

:

“Where am I?”

The first words from Taekwoon after he totally conscious.

“Mr Jung, you are now in the hospital. Did you remember the last thing happen to you?” The doctor ask while he checking the graph on his hand.

“I…on the road..and..” his head aching from trying to remember.

“Its okay, Mr Jung. You can try remember it slowly. No need to rush. Glad that you are stable now.”

Hakyeon and Eunji just patiently waiting for the doctor to finish his check up and their eyes were fixed at clueless Taekwoon.

“So, how’s Taekwoon, doc?” Eunji ask.

“I think his head are hurting if he trying to remember something. It’s the effect from the bump on his head that day. But I’m sure he is okay now. He just needs rest and don’t put pressure on him.”

Hakyeon approach Taekwoon while letting Eunji talk with the doctor. He smiles when Taekwoon look at him.

“Thank you, friend. For staying alive”

Taekwoon frowned at him.

“Excuse me, did I know you?”

Hakyeon feels like his heart beat drop when Taekwoon asked him. He turn and look at Eunji and the doctor that also looks speechless. The doctor immediately approaches Taekwoon.

“Mr Jung, can I ask you something?”

Taekwoon nodded.

“What is your full name and your date of birth?”

“My name…Taekwoon. Jung Taekwoon. And..” Taekwoon frowned.

“Okay, did you know him?” The doctor pointing at Hakyeon.

“No”

“How about this girl?”

“She’s Eunji, of course.” Taekwoon reply with confidence.

Eunji rounded her eyes. ‘Why did he remember me but not Hakyeon?’

“Mr Jung. Did you remember anything beside them?”

“I remember Eunji call my name. That time, I was hit by a car. I saw her crying” Taekwoon reply.

The doctor nodded. He wrote something on the paper. Then, he let the nurse taking care of Taekwoon and excuses him with Eunji and Hakyeon following from behind.

“Amnesia. We call them partially amnesia. Means that, Mr Jung have forgotten all things except the last thing he heard and saw which is during the accident happen.” The doctor explains when they reach at his room.

“So, you mean that he didn’t remember all people including his parents?” Hakyeon ask.

“Yes. He only remembers Eunji which is beside him before he passed out. That’s why he know you.” The doctor turn to look at Eunji.

Both of them nodded.

“I hope you didn’t force him to remember anything. I’m afraid he will be in pain. Times matters. At this point, he needs support from all people that exist in his life before. Especially his parents and you too, Eunji. You might be the big help for him to recover”

 

Hakyeon POV

I walk towards Taekwoon ward but then bump onto his parents. His mom look at me with her sad eyes. She looks like she had a thing to talk to me. His dad leaving both of us and went inside the room. I wanted to walk away, but she call my name.

“Yeon-ah.. Can we talk for a while?”

I nodded and we sat the lobby.

“I’m sorry for what happen to you and your sister” She start to talk.

“My family had done so many things to you guys. We are sorry. Please forgive us” She grabs my right hand and hold it tight.

I look at her right into her eyes.

“I still feel that you hate me. Because I’ve accused Taekwoon-“

“No, my son. I’m not hating on you. I should trust you before. See, I’ve got hit by karma. My own son didn’t even recognize me.” Aunty Jung started to cry.

 “Don’t say like that. Taekwoon will recognize you soon. I’m sure. We can still help him to recover, right? As long as we stay beside him” I held her hand while she nodded.

We are both entering Taekwoon room and saw Eunji were feeding him some soup. Somehow, I wish I was Taekwoon. But, in this state he needs her the most.

“I’m full” He resist the last spoon of the soup.

“Alright. Water?” Eunji ask.

Taekwoon nodded and his eyes landed on me that standing beside his mom.

“err..mom..?” He sound nervous.

“Yes, my son. What is it?” Aunty Jung approach him.

“Did you know him too?” Taekwoon ask.

“Who? Hakyeon? Of course I do. He’s your best friend. Since your childhood.” His mom reply.

“Sorry, I can’t recognize all of you. But I still trying.” He took the glass from Eunji and drink the water.

“Its okay, Woon-ah. We’ll wait for you. And take it easy.” Mom pats his head softly.

Eunji approach me and whispering something.

“Tonight, I will come to your house for dinner. It’s been 3 days since I last meet Hayoung. I miss her. I will take care of Taekwoon now and later I will drop by. Don’t eat yet. Wait for me” She wink cutely.

I nodded and chuckle. “You miss Hayoung but not me?”

“Of course I miss you too” She pinches my arms softly.

Taekwoon glare at us and suddenly he call Eunji.

“Can you stay with me tonight? I’m scare. Last night, I heard knock but no one outside when I check them.”

“Really? Then, I will. Don’t worry” She look at me and smile. The smile that assuring me that she will not broken her promised.

:

:

I took out the phone when I heard a notification.

'Wait for me. After I get Taekwoon sleep, I will come over. I will bring the food too ^^ '

‘You better let Taekwoon sleep as fast as possible, Eunji. I’m afraid he will not allow you to leave his side..’

:

:

It’s 11 pm and Hayoung already asleep. Luckily she’s having dinner at Youngji house or else she will be starving waiting for Eunji. I try to call her, but she didn’t pick up her phone. I let out sigh and sit at the couch.

‘Did you forget your promise, Jung Eunji?’

‘Or did Taekwoon does not allow you to meet me anymore?’

“Arghhh…I’m hungry, Eunji. Please come faster..” I groan and shut my eyes.

And yes, I fell asleep with my hungry stomach growling waiting for Eunji. She broke her promised for sure. The clock ringing when it is now exactly 12 am.

Nothing happen. No food. No Eunji.