We dreamed of infinite (interlude)

A world for two

We dreamed of infinite


Some meetings, although not striking, don't stop being significant.
When Jimin met Min Yoongi, nothing noteworthy had happened. Nothing special, no firework effects, hatred at first sight, or some hilarious episode. In fact, had it not been for a series of circumstances, Jimin would have never disturbed himself in knowing Min Yoongi. And vice versa, of course vice versa.
Or maybe not.
Years later, Jimin was pretty sure that despite everything, meeting Min Yoongi was inevitable.
It was an ordinary day like any other. Jimin was desperately trying to not succumb to the soporific history lesson, but he couldn't say he had been very successful. The professor, at that very moment, was talking about a group presentation for the end of the quarter and Jimin crossed his fingers under the table, hoping to end up with someone who had followed lessons more than him. Unfortunately, most of his group of friends, his dance mates, were in chemistry. (No thanks, Jimin had thought at the time to fill out the form).
He often missed Hobi hyung, his friend in Junior High. But his family went back in the city of Hoseok's grandparents, which was 200 km far from the capital. A distance that seemed impossible to the two boys. And it was.
Luckily, he had made some friends through dance. Dancing had always been his favorite activity. Thanks to it, Jimin had never felt alone. Before knowing Hoseok, Jimin had specialized in contemporary dance. Hoseok had made him discover hip hop and Jimin fell in love with dancing all over again.
Once in the new school, he immediately joined the dance club. Fortunately, the members of the group did not care if you were a zero, one, or one thousand. It was enough to be able to dance.
In general, the school was still a safe environment. This was because the law encouraged the number two’s to meet only after reaching legal age. For ethical and social reasons, introductions before the legal age were highly discouraged. But, it didn't prevent some number two families of three generations to force the circumstances and make the introductions when their kids were fifteen or younger. However, they represented a minority. And the school was the environment in which the zeroes, but also the number ones, could exercise a little bit of freedom.
There were, however, several schools of thought on the matter.
Many number two’s encouraged their children to wait for their soul mate. However, it was not seen bad if the future number two’s wanted to make some experiences during their school years.
This sentiment was by no means shared by the families of zeroes.
The future number two’s had nothing to worry about. Zeroes were those, however, who would return home with a broken heart.
But the school. The school was made by youngsters. It was easy, at that age, to dream about infinity.

 

Jimin ended up being assigned to a group of three, consisting of himself, Yook Sungjae, and Min Yoongi. Sungjae was in the chorus and he was known as the nerd with the golden voice. Min Yoongi was a new and very promising freshman of basketball team, even though he had a bit of reputation more for his character than anything else. He was rumored to be a hothead.
Neither of them, however, were in his main lessons but only in history. Jimin had tried to do his best to get along with both to complete the project successfully. It hadn't been hard to get along with Sungjae. He was smart and also very funny. Yoongi, instead, turned out to be difficult to handle. He spoke little and always with the low and slightly raspy tone of someone who had just woken up.
Moreover, he continued to look at them sideways like he couldn't believe he had ended up in a similar group.
Jimin had to refrain himself from rolling his eyes several times.
"What do you think is the best option for our project? By the way, don't you think it was a bit rushed to give us such a long list of books to read now that we are close to Christmas holidays? In any case, I propose, as our subject, the conclusion of the first statute on the number two’s. It's generic, but at least it's easy and there are a lot of books we could chose among the list. Jimin, what do you think?"
Sungjae didn't even take a breath when he spoke and Jimin found it hilarious.
"I don't know. Maybe you're right. It 's definitely easier, but don't you think everyone will want to do it?" he asked.
Jimin actually didn't want to retrace the steps that led to the signing of the first document that had contributed, 200 years later, to decree his fate. But, he imagined, for the number ones as Sungjae the subject wasn't anything to feel bad about. It represented just an opportunity to work less.
"It's too predictable,” said a bored voice behind them.
Yoongi had spoken after nearly an hour of dual conversation between Jimin and Sungjae and after they spent a lot of time browsing online in the computer room of their school. Yoongi had slept happily on the computer next to them.
"Yoongi?" Jimin asked uncertain.
"It's predictable, Sungjae,” he continued, ignoring Jimin. "I know it's probably easier but it' s also a project that counts for our final mark. We could try to do something different for once. I bet everyone will go with the several statutes of the first consular government. Why not make a presentation about the time before?”
Yoongi had said all this in the same tone of voice of someone who might be somewhere else doing something better.
"Before what?" Sungjae asked innocently.
"Just before. The zero century.”
Sungjae frowned and Jimin's breath got caught in his throat.
God, the last time he had heard someone mentioning the zero century, he was five years old and he was in the backyard of his house listening to his grandma telling stories of times gone by.
Obviously they made the presentation on the first statute of the number two’s. Along with three-quarters of the class. They had all taken an ‘A,’ only for choosing such an exciting topic of our history. Jimin wanted to puke but looking around he saw only satisfied faces for an easy mark. All faces except one.
Min Yoongi was sleeping on his desk, although Jimin suspected he was wide awake.
It looked like a personal form of protest.
What a strange guy.

 

He wasn't sure of how. They say when you don't think about it, things happen.
Yoongi and Jimin didn't speak much after the group work. Even though with Sungjae, he managed to remain on friendly terms. Sungjae wasn't bad for being a future number two. He was innocent and had that happy air that many predestined had and Jimin genuinely liked him. At least he wasn't arrogant, like many number one’s appeared in the eyes of zeroes.
One day in January, however, during the first lesson of physical education, he happened to be sharing a class with Yoongi again.
Jimin was good in p.e., he had a very flexible spine and the long hours of dancing had given him a great physical resistance. Even Yoongi in his own way was good. Sure, he would have never managed to jump over the meter and 10 in high jump but he ran fast, and had the lung capacity of a marathoner. It must have been all those hours spent running up and down the basketball court.
Jimin wanted to ask why he had proposed such an unusual topic. Not a lot of people liked to talk about the zero century. It was as if they were speaking of board games. But he hadn't had the chance and Yoongi wasn't the most approachable person in the world. He certainly couldn't go and say
‘hey, you have named the zero century. You are interesting.’
But it was just what Jimin made.
After gym class, and after they had changed in the locker room, Jimin had found Yoongi on his own, leaning against a wall outside the gym. He was probably waiting for his friends.
Yoongi had laughed and Jimin regretted having found him interesting. He is an idiot.
He was so pissed off and for a moment, Jimin considered kicking him in the shin. They were the same height, but he had more muscles and he could eventually knock him out if necessary.
"I come from a family of two generations of zeroes,” Yoongi said while drying his eyes. The bastard had laughed to tears.
Jimin wanted to lie and say 'I'm a number one ,’ just to take his own personal revenge. However, surprising himself again, he said: "Me too.”
Yoongi nodded and Jimin thought it would end there, because it was more than someone would confess to his best friend, let alone a stranger.
But Yoongi said,
“Let's go get something to eat. I'm hungry.”
And so Jimin, without knowing how, found himself in the cafeteria of school with Min Yoongi.
They would eat together for all the remaining years of high school.

 

 

“Jimin," a voice called him from behind.
Yoongi's hair had gone through many phases during the years. It returned to black for a bit, then pink, green, and now it was blond again. When Jimin asked him why, Yoongi replied "just to spite my parents,” and then tried to convince Jimin to die his hair orange. Jimin obviously had refused and Yoongi accused him of being boring and Jimin was almost successful in kicking him but his best friend was quick to avoid the hit.
Yoongi and Jimin, since that distant day, became inseparable. It was strange how such different people could work well together. Yoongi was standoffish, direct, too honest with his words, and a bit cold. His favorite hobby was sleeping, an activity that, in his personal list, came even before basketball.
Jimin instead was always active, busy with dance or some new activity and probably one of the most patient people on earth. Jimin didn't get angry easily. Or maybe it was difficult for Jimin to really get angry at Yoongi.
They bickered often though.
Yoongi with his ways was brusque and Jimin on the other hand was too sensitive. Yet Yoongi always did the right thing. He wasn't good with words like Jimin, but whenever the latter was convinced that his best friend had finally done it, Yoongi came out with one of his things. With one of those gestures that make you forgive it all.
You could say that their friendship was special, and it was something that everyone seemed to realize. Jimin was convinced that half of the school suspected their number two bond. The other half was absolutely certain.
Of course it was not like that.
Jimin was a zero. As for Yoongi…
Yoongi had never said it and Jimin never asked. It was one of those things, one of the many things, which was difficult to talk about with Yoongi. It was hard to talk about the future with Yoongi, and it was difficult to talk about zeroes. Jimin had intuited the truth in his heart.
It didn't prevent them to let their friendship go beyond its boundaries.
"You are always stuck together. Yesterday I heard a freshman calling you Yoongi and calling him Jimin,” Sungjae, who had become the president of the student council, .
Jimin had laughed because it was true, and because there was no other suited reaction. And when he saw Yoongi standing there, leaned against the wall of the gym and waiting for him to finish the dance lesson to go home together, Jimin recollected the words of Sungjae and a smile made his way on his face.
They tell us that it is not for zeroes to expect a soul mate. And they tell us as if it's our fault being alone. Yet every time Jimin looked at Yoongi, the stupid Yoongi with the dumb blonde hair and with that toothy grin—that could not have been suspected in a person as difficult as he was—he couldn't help but believe that fate must have been wrong.
"I'm starving. Next time don't be so late,” Yoongi grunted as soon as he exited.
"I bet you get the chance to take a nap,” Jimin replied sheepishly.
"Indeed," Yoongi replied with a shrug.
He then lit a cigarette, a habit that Jimin hated but Yoongi could no longer give up (to spite my parents). And with the naturalness of a gesture that had been done countless times, he placed an arm around Jimin's shoulders and snuggled into him.
"Come on," he whispered in his ear, the shadow of a smile on his lips.
And they went through the gate of the school, arms around each other like two pieces that fitted perfectly.

 

 

 

Author's note: don't worry this is a jikook fic not yoonmin. I wanted to give some insight! Thank you for reading and commenting <3