00.8

A world for two

00.8

 

Seokjin had heard of the accident of Jimin only two days after it happened.

Jimin had casually forgot to mention it to Seokjin and he had made Namjoon promise that he wouldn’t say a word to him, ‘at least until Jin hyung doesn’t have a break.’

Seokjin would have some actual rest only in two days, because the editing and the endless meetings would have required a lot of time, in any case there wasn’t much that his soulmate could hide from him without Seokjin discovering. Namjoon had managed to withstand two days only because they both were so overworked that they had seen each other only during breakfast.

"Jimin, how are you? Are you all right? Why didn’t you say anything?” Seokjin was in the small study that the company made available for him. He had finished the editing of the first photo shoot in record time but the directors had insisted on a second tranche of photos just in case.

When they informed Seokjin, the latter had had to restrain himself from showing any emotion. He tried to think of the rich fees that the additional work would have earned him and of all the things he would ask Namjoon as a repair prize for having to stay one more day there.

"Hyung I'm fine. It’s just a slight sprain and it’s not even so bad. I didn’t mention it because I know that you worry too much."

"Jimin tell me you went to a doctor and that you are now resting at home.”

"Not exactly?"

"Jimin!" Seokjin shook his head. Jimin was a person terribly disinterested and although it made him the kindest human being on the planet, it made him also unable to even take care of himself properly if it meant disturbing the others. Seokjin, with the years, had tried to instill a little of healthy selfishness. And although he did improve, Jimin was still too reckless. Seokjin, therefore, had taken the responsibility to fill this gap.

Even if it means acting like your second mother, Jimin.

"Don’t worry okay? Namjoon and Jungkook are taking care of me and in a couple of days, I'll be perfectly fine.”

“You better,” Seokjin replied.

Jimin chuckled on the other side of the line. Seokjin let out a little smile. Jimin, despite everything, sounded good. He knew that Namjoon would help Jimin with anything, his soulmate loved him a lot, but he was glad that there was also Jeon Jungkook in the picture.

"Jin hyung I have to go, and I guess you still have a lot to work to do. We’ll catch up in few days ok? Now that I think about it, I have a lot of things to tell you!” Seokjin noticed that the voice of Jimin had become strange and for a moment he was about to insist to be told everything. But Jimin was right, his work would not be completed by itself.

"Alright. Let me know if you need anything and do not hesitate to call me or Namjoon in case of help!” Seokjin recommended.

"Sure sure! See you soon!” Seokjin said goodbye too before ending the call. He looked absently on his computer screen. It seemed that a few things had happened to Jimin those days.

Seokjin and Jimin had been friends since the first year of college for Jimin. It was funny because Jimin had met his soulmate first since they were classmates, but it was with him, Seokjin, that Jimin had bonded in a special way. Sure Jimin was also the best friend of Namjoon, however, not in the same way. Not for the same things.

There was a bond between them made of mutual understanding because Seokjin really, could understand.

Seokjin knew what it meant—having hope in something but not having a single of chance of having that.

“Seokjin, it’s all set.”

The voice of Yoongi took him by surprise. Seokjin wanted to say something like ‘what happened to knocking?’ But he knew that he had left the office door open and as project leader and main producer of the company, Yoongi could do as he pleased. After all he was who commissioned his work.

“Fine. I’m coming,” Seokjin replied laconically.

He had tried to talk as little as possible with him and it was not difficult given the coldness of Yoongi in general.

Therefore, considering all the years they spent ignoring each other, Seokjin certainly did not expect for Yoongi, Min Yoongi, to ask him a question.

"How's Jimin?" He asked with his usual dull and bored tone as he continued to walk ahead of him. He didn’t turn, nor did he stop. But Seokjin knew him too well, he probably overheard his conversation.

"None of your business,” Seokjin said with the same neutral tone.

They walked in silence to the studio where they both greeted the staff as if nothing had happened.

“Sometimes, Kim Seokjin, love means knowing how to give up." Yoongi finally yelled, losing his temper.

"As if you do know something about that,” Seokjin replied, coldly. Yoongi seemed to deflate for a moment under the weight of those words.

Because it was true. Yoongi had never given up on anything and had ended up dragging down the people who loved him cause of his selfishness.

 

 

He had remained awake for long the night after the conversation with Jungkook.

Some days had then passed and although physically he felt better, Jimin couldn’t get rid of the bitter aftertaste that those words had left.

He told himself he was stupid that, indeed, he had nothing to be surprised of. Jungkook had never made promises and had always been clear in his intent and Jimin, probably, was the person who most understood him and at the same time admired him.

Plus Jungkook had been kind to him, had opened at last, and Jimin told himself that he should be pleased because it was everything he had hoped at the beginning. Yet, it was his kindness what revealed the flaw in Jimin’s plan. After all, Jimin thought, he had always been good at lying to himself and perhaps he had done it once again.

Whatever it was, any emotion Jimin thought he was feeling, it didn’t matter because Jungkook was right, neither of them deserved to be unhappy and if his idea worked, they could finally be able to live their lives as they pleased.

Maybe then, once Jungkook was free to choose, Jimin would feel less guilty in pursuing his selfishness.

His idea, however, involved a high percentage of risk and Jimin knew Jungkook would hate him forever if he was wrong. However Jimin might not trust himself, but he trusted the opinion of Namjoon.

Do not overestimate the happiness of the number twos, Jimin. No matter what they say, we are pigeonholed in this system too, and I assure you it is not enough to be a number two to save us from suffering.

Jimin glanced at the sky. It was six in the evening and Jimin had dropped at the entrance of the building waiting for who at that time had to come and get him. He exhaled a long breath and once again prayed for some luck, for things to go into place somehow. When he fixed again his eyes on the road, he recognized Hoseok at the driving seat of a black car, and automatically a smile formed on his face.

Despite the strange turn of events Jimin was grateful to have found Hoseok.

"Jiminnie!" greeted Hoseok with his shrill voice

"Hello!" Jimin said, smiling. For those few days Jungkook, Namjoon, and Hoseok had took turns to act as his personal driver. Jimin found the thing ridiculous because he had just a little sprain, but no one had heard his protests and on Jungkook’s suggestion they had created a group conversation on the mobile to distribute the shifts.

Moreover, he could not even complain to his best friend because he knew Seokjin would have approved, as the previous conversation proved.

Jimin was not sure what to do, he wasn’t used to all that affection and that did not help to clarify the chaos of his mind. Luckily Hoseok was still a reassuring presence and there wasn't an infinite number of years sufficient to remove the mutual pleasure of their company.

"Namjoon had to work late today, and as you know Jungkook has dance lessons so now it's my turn!"Jimin nodded. Jungkook had sent him a little message asking him how he was and warning him that someone else would come to take him. He was glad it was Hoseok.

Hoseok took him to his car and apologized for the deplorable state it was.

"Taehyung has a habit of getting a lot of take away and leaving the packages in the car. I always tell him to throw them away, but he always forgets,” Hoseok said, shaking his head as he the engine.

Jimin chuckled.

"Taehyung seems to be a very special person,” Jimin said, because Hoseok was the only person he had ever seen who complained about someone else keeping a toothy grin on his face, as if this flaw was another lovely detail of the personality of his soulmate.

"He is. I still cannot believe something so perfect is mine. There's no boring day with him and he can easily keep up with my thousand chores and make even his,” Hoseok added.

"How long have you been together?" Jimin asked curiously. "Actually I have a lot of questions for you, but let's start with this.” Hoseok laughed as they left the building's parking lot.

"I met Taehyung the second year of medical school shortly after he had graduated from high school and I knew right away I’d have a special soulmate."

"What about Jungkook ?" Asked Jimin trying to picture a younger Hoseok with his soulmate and a fresh graduated Jungkook. The thought was vaguely nostalgic.

"You will not believe it, but the day after my meeting with Taehyung I also met Jungkook. We were inseparable ever since."

"Taehyung and Jungkook seem really close. Jungkook told me they knew each other since primary school,” Jimin asked intrigued.

It was assumed that the encounter with a soulmate was so overwhelming that it would not let you see anything else. The number zeros joked about how the number twos always appeared with their head in the clouds, engrossed by their soul mate, but in fact it was kind of inevitable to feel like that. Soulmates were specially made to be together, inseparable halves of their own microcosm. Especially for the soulmates who met for the first time, this gravitational pull was very intense. Jimin had obviously never experienced but he had seen first-hand the effect it had on number twos meeting with their number one.

"Yes. Taehyung and Jungkook are practically one person. They have been together ever since they have memory and they enjoyed each other's company until coming of age,” Hoseok said. Jimin looked away because the serenity with which Hoseok had said it all was too intense. What the medical student had just described was an unusual bond.

"You seem to love Jungkook,” Jimin said finally.

"It 's hard not to,” Hoseok commented grinning.

"I know," Jimin replied. Hoseok glanced at him.

“Jimin, you and I have not seen each other for so long and I don’t want to intrude in any way. But I used to know you so well, god we were so close that we exchanged underwear! Jungkookie can act tough but in reality he’s the opposite, and that guy is probably the most kind and loving creature on this planet. He will never tell you but I know he feels very lonely, that he has always felt very lonely. I am a mere number two and I cannot understand, but you do and if you're the Jimin I knew, I know that your presence can make him good. Trust your instinct and don’t give up on him. He’s worth it.“

"I won’t give up,” Jimin said.

Jungkook had something. Some could call it passion, but it could easily pass for despair. The desperation of trying to have his way, not to surrender even though the circumstances were all against, desperation in wanting to continue living. That was what touched you deeply, Taehyung, Hoseok, himself. You did know that his determination was impossible but at the same time you didn’t want to see him fail.

"I count on you,” Hoseok replied with a wink. Then he changed the subject and they talked about their respective jobs.

Jimin was glad to see that it was still easy to talk to Hoseok. That his friend of a long time ago still made him laugh, and that the enthusiasm of when he was thirteen and urging Jimin to train to win the competition although he was a participant, never faded.

They arrived quickly at Jimin home but Hoseok instead of leaving, went with him because he wanted to check his ankle.

Jimin let him into his apartment, his cat Tao came, welcoming them and made Hoseok squeal of joy.
"Taehyung is allergic to cats, otherwise we would have had our house covered with pets,” Hoseok exclaimed delighted. Jimin led the way in the small living room where Hoseok made him sit on the couch without any ceremony.

His friend focused his attention on the problem and it was fascinating to see this Hoseok, the serious and professional one, so different from the Hoseok who danced in the middle of the track, yet always the same.

"The swelling has disappeared altogether. Does it hurt when you walk?"

"Not that I have walked a lot because you all don’t let me do more than the steps from my door to the car, but no, it doesn’t hurt."

"I think you're okay. Maybe in the weekend try to walk for a while, and if it does not hurt you then I think next Tuesday you can get back on track but don’t try to walk before this Sunday I recommend. Just for precaution ok?"

"All right. Thank you. Hoseok,” Jimin said, smiling.

When they were young and they still thought everything was possible despite their strange world, Jimin had imagined no other future for Hoseok than that of the dancer because Hoseok had too much talent and was so happy when he danced. But seeing him so at ease in his new role, Jimin thought that maybe he was wrong.

Jimin hoped that sooner or later, with time, Hoseok would tell which were the steps that had led up to that moment.

"Jimin take care of yourself.”

"Of course Hobi, actually I wanted to thank you and Taehyung and Jungkook for worrying so much about me. I want to invite you to dinner one of these days if it's ok with you.” And maybe catch up, Jimin thought.

"It sounds great. Taehyung would be thrilled, and I don’t think it will be difficult to convince Jungkook. You tell us when and will be there!” Hoseok said, standing from the carpet. Jimin accompanied him at the entrance but before Hoseok left, Jimin said.

"I'm glad I met you again Hobi."

"Me too. Me too Jimin,” said Hoseok taking his hand. And it was like being back on stage under the lights, in front of a lot of people, trying to catch breath from their performance.

God. How much time had passed.

 

 

That night was the last time he would accompany Jimin from work. Jungkook had agreed to cover the final turn, although Jimin had insisted he was perfectly healed.

"Hoseok confirmed,” he told Jungkook but the latter actually just wanted an excuse to finally talk with Jimin and so he had insisted on accompanying him home.

They had seen each other another morning, but they had talked about useless things, the weather, the music. Jimin had inquired about the dance lessons, and so the topic "Jimin’s idea" was ignored.

They didn’t have time though. Jungkook had finally replied to his mother who warned him of an impending visit to his home. Jungkook had managed to avoid the worst somehow with, "Mom please, there’s no need for you to come, can we talk properly in a few days when I don’t have lessons? I have a solution I swear.” His mother had seemed to quiet down and Jungkook breathed a sigh of relief.

The problem was that Jungkook had no solution and therefore hoped that the idea of Jimin, whatever it was, was a good idea. Jimin said that he would get angry but at that point Jungkook was ready to swallow any pill. After all, Jimin had been already of great help when he stepped back and Jungkook trusted him. It had been terrifying to realize that, but when pressed by his parents, Jungkook did not hesitate to rely on Jimin, convinced it was the right way. How could the crazy kid of high school become his most reliable card, Jungkook could not understand

Jimin was waiting for him outside the entrance of the building as always and as Jungkook watched him approach the car he had to surrender to the fact that Jimin was now permanently incorporated in some way into his life.

Jungkook understood what Taehyung had meant, when he confessed that the two of them did not want to intrude. In fact from there on, whatever happened, Jungkook would still have a connection with Jimin since the latter would have one with Hoseok. Yet it gave him less discomfort than Taehyung had feared. Jungkook could not want a mate, but he had no problem in having Jimin on the edge of his life.

To this point at least he was able to admit.

"Hello Jungkook,” greeted Jimin, sitting on the passenger seat. "You know you didn’t have to, I'm fine."

"I know, but I wanted to talk to you, we didn’t have many occasions and it is Friday. No dance classes and you're not working tomorrow.”

"How much effort to be with me!" Jimin teased.

"Jimin hyung." Jungkook looked at him sideways.

"Sorry. Maybe I'm just a bit nervous,” Jimin said as he strapped on his belt.

"Hyung unless your idea is to ask for my hand in marriage I doubt that whatever you thought would bother me."

"Hey I’m a great catch!"

"I know. It’s just that,” Jungkook frowned as he lit the engine and drove the car down the streets.

"Jungkook I know. I know you do not think bad of me. Not anymore, of this I am certain,”
Jimin said quietly.

"Hyung you were right to say that I have no right to judge you."

“Jungkook, in high school I made many questionable choices and I knew what the other zeroes thought, that I was considered a disgrace to the category.”

Jungkook shook his head.

"Hyung. You don’t have to justify your action. They were done for a reason, and even if we can’t understand, it’s still none of our business. So don’t apologize,” Jungkook said regretfully thinking about their first encounter.
"Thanks." Jimin said squeezing his forearm.

Jungkook tried to concentrate on the road.

Jungkook found himself thinking about how it would be to know Jimin in other circumstances. If they had not met at school and if they didn’t meet again because of that stupid engagement, and had instead met him as a friend of Hoseok. Jungkook wondered if things would have been different.

Jimin didn’t add anything else. Both preferred to postpone their conversation after a hot meal.

"Hyung where would you like go to dinner? I'm not the best cook I warn you."

“Well, they told me I am decent so if you want I can cook, my house or your house is the same,” Jimin shrugged.

"My house is closer,” Jungkook replied with a shrug in return. Jimin seemed nervous and Jungkook believed that eating out was not going to put him at ease.

"It seems right. Since I cook let’s dirty your kitchen.”

Jungkook laughed.

A few minutes later they were in the vicinity of his home, but as they approached his place, Jungkook was seized by a strange nervousness and when he noticed a familiar car he understood why. Jungkook was tempted to do a “U” turn in the middle of the road.

"No no no,” he started to say in panic as he threw the car in the first empty spot resting his forehead on the steering wheel, desperately looking for a way out.

"Jungkook what happened! what's up?"

"See that silver car in front of us? That's my parents' car. We can not go back hyung because they saw us,” said Jungkook in shock.

Just then his father got out of the car and Jungkook felt trapped. He remembered his mother telling him of a visit but he thought he had managed to convince them otherwise.

"Jungkook calm down,” Jimin said seriously. Jungkook looked at him with wide eyes but Jimin’s determination was able to ease him a bit.

"Jungkook I’m so sorry. I really should have talked to you first. But now we have no time and if they corner us, I'll try to get us out of trouble. Promise me you will trust me, promise me that you will remember that whatever I say is to free us both from this commitment. Promise me!"

Jimin pleaded, taking his hand and squeezing it hard.

Jungkook didn’t have time to nod because his parents had already approached their car window.

"I promise,” he managed to say finally.