00.18

A world for two

00.18

 

 

 

“Are you nervous?”

“Actually I’m scared to death.”

There aren’t right words to describe the feeling of dancing. To describe how your body feels when it moves to the rhythm of the music.

It’s like a rush of adrenaline, a moment of vacuum in which there’s only you and your thing, and it’s awesome. It’s what makes you breathe well after you are done. That nervous feeling before you get on stage, the deafening sound after you’ve finished.

I want to live my life like this forever. Please, let it be forever.

“It’s going to be fine.”

“Hyung, you are shaking.”

Jimin took Jungkook’s hand in his own one last time, as the light coming from the stage danced on his face beautifully.

Jungkook’s heart stopped wavering.

“It’s time,” Jimin said smiling before getting on the stage.

Jungkook followed him.

 

 

 

 

 

If Jimin thought he had been busy before, he had been dead wrong. Between his job and practice, he sure had a lot do. Thank god dance practice was going well. He and Jungkook had polished their performance thanks to Hoseok, who took care even of the last infinitesimal detail, and so they have only the group choreographies to perfect with the rest of the class.

However, despite having basically his time divided into segments, each segment corresponding to a task to complete, Jimin never felt so alive. He was busy and he surely was lacking some sleep at the moment but he never felt so much energy run through his veins.

Also, he never felt like he belonged to a group, to people, like he did now.

The day of the showcase was approaching at devastating speed and he and Jungkook, more often than not, met to practice or just to discuss their opinions and more often to scare away some nervousness by enjoying their reciprocate company. And yes, Jimin was highly aware of how deep he was falling, how every tiny gesture of Jungkook looked dear to him and how happy he was when they were together.

In any case, the amount of time spent together was a lot, but also the others started to hang out with them as much as they could. When Hoseok wasn’t using his free time to help them as much as he could, followed by the inseparable Taehyung, it was Seokjin who made sure both of them were properly fed.

The initial coldness between his best friend and Jungkook was starting to fade and Jimin was glad. The younger no longer seemed intimidated by Seokjin’s long stares and he even went far enough to tease the older like he did with Jimin. It helped a lot that Seokjin cooked his favorite dishes every time.

What made Jimin particularly happy was also notice that his two best friends, the one from his childhood and the one from his college, went along really well. They had that type of chemistry he noticed in Namjoon and Taehyung when they talked about music.

“They probably bonded over domestic economics tips, hyung,” Taehyung told him.

“They are probably exchanging domestic economy tips: 101 ways to make your glasses shine and so on,” Taehyung mocked them making Jimin laugh. Everyone was aware of how much a neat freak they both were.

They were bonding. All of them.

In this lively atmosphere passed the finals days, and before Jimin could realize it, the showcase was in two days. He had signed it on his calendar on the fridge, circled in red, and somehow the view managed to make him shiver every time.

He and Jungkook decided to hit the practice room together after work and classes, to review the stages. Some would say they were taking it too seriously, but they were the only ones who were given an individual spotlight and they wanted to do their best. Not only for themselves but also for the centre. A good show could mean also good donations.

Jimin was glad to find Jungkook as serious and passionate as himself, not having declined a practice meeting even once.

“Am I interrupting something?” There was a soft knock before Seokjin opened the door of the classroom slightly. They were taking a break, scattered on the floor and gulping big mouths of water.

“Come in, hyung,” Jimin said from the floor. Luckily Taehyung and Hoseok had helped them dry the bathroom floor and his best friend never discovered the disaster they managed to create. They were indebted to Taehyung for who knew how much of a big favor he was going to ask, but in Jimin’s opinion, that was better than facing Seokjin’s wrath. The blond was in really good terms with the owners of the centre since he was still a student when he started volunteering and the owner trusted Seokjin with the registers and with the safety of the building. When Seokjin had given them the key to the building, he had done it after millions of recommendations. A mess to clean wasn’t something he would ever forgive.

“Oh good you are having a break. Perfect! We can eat all together,” Seokjin said, smiling. Jimin was curious about what that ‘all’ entitled, but after a moment to Seokjin’s entrance followed the whole group, Namjoon included. Jimin rose up in surprise and so did Jungkook.

“We wanted to show you our support since maybe me and Namjoon won’t be able to make it,” Hoseok exclaimed cheerfully seating beside Jungkook followed by Taehyung.

“Yes, sorry for that. I’ll do my best to be there, promise,” Namjoon said flopping on the floor next to Jimin.

“We all know you are super busy with work, don’t beat yourself to much, hmm?” his best friend said patting his shoulder, before setting a blanket on the floor and taking out of his bas his bag several boxes.

“Food! Hyung thank you,” squealed a delighted Jungkook.

“Yes, thank you guys, and don’t worry Namjoon, Jin is right,” Jimin reassured him.

“This goes for you too,” Taehyung commented poking Hoseok on the cheek, who was frowning. Hoseok had told them that he was waiting for the reply of one of his colleagues to see if they could switch shifts.

Jimin stretched himself to poke Hoseok too while Jungkook nodded, approving Taehyung’s words. To do that, the older had stretched himself basically all over Jungkook’s lap, but neither of them seemed bothered. Ok, Jimin’s heart was beating like crazy, but it also felt nice and Jungkook looked like he didn’t mind Jimin’s physical contact. He never did. And honestly, it was starting to disrupt him a bit. It wasn’t fair for Jungkook to be so touchy-feely and still look unfazed.

Seokjin made sure to pass out the plates with food to everyone as well as the drinks like the organized person he was.

Jimin smiled. This was nice. For such a long time it had been just him, Namjoon and Seokjin, but now there was also his childhood friend Hoseok and that sweetheart, Taehyung. And Jungkook, of course Jungkook.

“How do you feel, guys?” asked Namjoon after a while, when the only noise heard was the sound of them munching.

“I don’t’ know. I feel like I’m still not realizing that in two days we'll be on stage again. I feel kind of calm actually and I’m afraid everything will hit me like a train a couple of minutes before going to stage.” Jimin said scratching his head.

Hoseok laughed. “Ah, I remember that sensation! But don’t worry guys, I saw you dancing and I know you’ll do great. Besides, you practiced so hard that your body will remember the movements even when your mind would not!” Hoseok said in what was surely an attempt to ease them.

“I don’t think that’s particularly reassuring hyung, but thanks,” Jungkook said smirking when Taehyung slapped Hoseok on the nape and making the older whine.

“What? What did I say? I was being serious.” Everyone laughed at that.

“We’ll do it,” Jimin concluded throwing a fist in the air. When he looked around Jungkook was looking at him, a kind smile on his face.

Later after they cleared the room they decided to go home, since everyone had to work the day after. Jimin would have liked to stay with Jungkook a little bit longer, but Hoseok and Taehyung offered to give a lift to Jungkook since they had the morning free the day after while Jimin had to get up at 7 am.

“See you on Saturday then,” Jungkook said. The day before the showcase their teacher prohibited them from practicing and had given them the task to just take a day for themselves and relax. They had Saturday to rehearse.

“Yes,” whispered Jimin back. They both lingered outside the entrance of the building, Taehyung and Hoseok were waiting for the younger in the car but neither Jimin nor Jungkook seemed inclined to part ways. The only light coming from a street lamp not so far from them made the atmosphere intimate, romantic even. Jimin looked at the younger's face shining under the artificial light.

Jungkook was beautiful, he had always been, but Jimin got struck again and again by this fact and it was like his feelings couldn’t reach a bottom and he kept falling deeper. And even if Jungkook in the end would want to continue just as friends, Jimin knew he would still love this young man with all his heart.

Jungkook tore his gaze and Jimin thought it was time to part ways but instead Jungkook took a step closer and hugged him tight, resting his chin on his shoulder, sniffing at his neck as he sighed satisfied. Like he had been missing him all along.

Jimin, too startled because that was far from being a strictly friendly gesture, didn’t have the time to squeeze back like he had been dying to do all these past days spent together, before Jungkook released him, quickly stomping away towards Hoseok’s car.

For some reason, Jimin’s heart started to hope.

 

 

 

 

The day before the showcase, Jungkook couldn’t sleep well. He went to classes and then to his shift, and once he came back to home, he spent the rest of the evening watching old dramas or just lazing around. After dinner his best friend had called even though Jungkook didn’t remember a thing of their conversation, just a pieces like “Are you well” “Yes,” even if it was ‘No’. “Wanna come here?” “No,” even if he wanted to say yes. Actually, this last answer wasn’t exactly true. Yes, he wanted company, just this time he didn’t want the company of Taehyung. He kind of suspected Taehyung knew that too because his best friend didn’t push him and just wished him good night before hanging up.

Jungkook had been really tempted then to grab his phone and call Jimin, but he didn’t. Friends called each other in time of need, didn’t they? But he probably would have ended up slipping something in that wasn’t the right time to say, or just run to the elder’s house and ask for him to lull him to sleep, which was wrong in so many ways because friends didn’t act like that. Well except for him and Taehyung, but they were far from being considered normal and so it didn’t count. Besides, he didn’t want to be kissed by his best friend while he wouldn’t have minded if Jimin did it. So yes, friends definitely didn’t act like that, lovers did though.

Jungkook suffocated a scream in the pillow.

Somehow Jungkook managed to fall asleep around 4 am, or so he thought, just to wake up barely four hours later kind of startled because he had been dreaming of being late and he got a mini heart attack as soon as he woke up. Luckily it wasn’t the case.

The teacher wanted them to be there after lunch and he had plenty of time to rest further, but he found himself unable to do so. So he stayed in bed a couple of hours, staring at the ceiling and fantasizing about Jimin even when he couldn’t. In the end, he got out of the comforts of his blankets and started his daily routine.

That day he didn’t have to go to work, he had asked his boss for a free day and so for once he had a free Saturday morning, but he wasn’t in the mood to go out, let alone study. Somehow along the morning, Jimin texted him lamenting his lack of sleep and Jungkook smiled because probably they were awake during the same hours, staring at the ceiling and counting their heart beats as the time passed by. They could have kept each other company. Maybe lying in the same bed, Jimin’s breath tickling his neck.

Jungkook wanted to scream again. He had a showcase for god’s sake, why his brain was betraying him in a time like that?

He managed to eat something for lunch, some leftovers of Seokjin’s cooked dishes, and he fought to take the food in because he was so nervous. He wanted to throw up and generally was feeling such a loser for it.

He needed some fresh air. He ran down the stairs and wandered aimless downtown before deciding to just go to the community centre. He arrived more than half an hour earlier just to find Jimin in the atrium, waiting.

“I just found myself here,” Jimin said him sheepishly after greeting him. Jungkook fell in the seat near his.

“I came now only because I took the longer road,” Jungkook replied. Jimin laughed.

“We are really hopeless,” the older commented. Jungkook nodded. Then because he couldn’t fight it any more, he had to touch Jimin, he just put his head on his shoulder using him as a pillow and closed his eyes. Maybe a quick nap before the arrival of the others.

He felt Jimin’s breath hitch but aside from that the older didn’t give the signal of feeling awkward or annoyed by the gesture. He did fall asleep in the end. Jimin had to wake him half an hour later because the teacher and the others kids were already there. Jungkook blushed slightly because all the students plus his teacher had seen him basically all over Jimin. But aside for some stares, nobody commented. Somehow Jungkook got the feeling they kind of expected it from them. Like they were considered a couple.

They started with a quick practice inside their usual class, then they went to see at which point were the preparations of the stage were at. Jungkook had never wandered around but apparently the building had a big hall where there was a stage and some space in front of it arranged with tables for the guests. Some staff was arranging the decorations while the technicians were fixing the lights and trying the sound.

Jungkook individuated the figure of Seokjin, among the staff in charge of decorations. He was kind of surprised he wasn’t in the committee in charge of the catering, but then he thought of the blond’s work and he surely couldn’t have his hands even in that.

Seokjin saw them and waved at them before disappearing behind the door.

They had to wait an hour before they let them go on stage, and even then they could rehearse only once before the staff made them go down the stage because they had to fix some things. The other classes rehearsed one after another and Jungkook could see they weren’t the only dancing class, there was also one class for ballet and one for contemporary dance. The other classes were of other disciplines like choir classes, theater classes, musical instruments classes and so on. The centre seemed to manage a lot of activities and students and Jungkook was shocked to find out how active the structure was.

He got suddenly even more nervous.

“This is bigger than what I have originally thought,” commented Jimin from his side like he had just read his mind. Jungkook nodded.

“Do you want to get some air?” Jimin asked him. The fear was clear on his face, but Jungkook was sure he had the same exact sentiment painted on his. Jungkook nodded again. Jimin then went looking for their teacher to ask if they had the time to grab some coffee before the last rehearsal. The teacher must had replied positively because Jimin came back brighter and led him out, taking his hand.

It was Jungkook’s turn to not question the gesture. Besides, he needed it. He liked it. He hoped Jimin liked it too and judging by how he didn’t let him go even once they were outside, he thought so. They entered the coffee shop still hand in hand and it was strange but also not, because Jungkook didn’t want to let go.

Of course when Jimin ordered two lattes with extra whipped cream he had to unclasp his hands so he could pay for the beverages. But then their hands found teach other again like there was a force bringing them together. When the girl behind the counter gave them the two coffees with her big shiny smile, a number two for sure, she cooed at them saying, “Oh, you are such a cute couple.”

They both blushed but letting go now would make it awkward and out them for the number zeros they were, and so they stayed like that till they reached the table. Then they had to let go and Jungkook’s hand felt suddenly empty. Damn.

Jimin tried to smile and sipped carefully from his hot drink.

Jungkook kept staring at him.

“Kookie drink or it’ll get cold,” Jungkook nodded feeling a bit stupid. He blamed his nervousness.

Jimin sighed after a bit.

“Honestly I feel like such an amateur. I don’t remember feeling like that back then. I really am getting old. I keep thinking things like what if I fall or forget a move or just freeze and stay there like potato,” Jimin said. Jungkook let out a sigh, relieved. So he wasn’t the only one.

“Don’t worry Jimin hyung. You’ll be great. If anything, I’ll be the one fainting in the middle of the performance. Believe me, you'll look great in comparison to that,” he replied in an attempt of humor.

Jimin giggled.

“Of course you won't faint, silly,” he replied with such an affection that Jungkook felt a shiver run down his spine. he really wanted to kiss him.

They didn’t add anything after. They just sat in silence drinking their coffees. He felt like his stomach was doing somersaults but it was also nice.

Once they finished, they threw out the paper cups and Jungkook kind of wanted to grab hold of his hand again but he was afraid and they didn’t have an excuse, and so they made their way back with some space between them.

When they got there, they had to wait some more and then they did their last rehearsal, before Jungkook could realize it was nearly time.

Seokjin sneaked in the back stage to wish them good luck even though at that point Jungkook wasn’t understanding a thing.

They were the last dance category to perform and so the kids kept spying through the heavy curtains, to see if they could recognize someone in the audience. Jungkook tried to look for Taehyung but he couldn’t find him.

“Are you nervous?”Jimin asked him. Their teacher had just come back to tell them they were up in 5 minutes.

“Actually I’m scared to death,” Jungkook let out.

“It’s going to be fine.”

“Hyung, you are shaking.”

Jimin took Jungkook’s hand one last time, as the light coming from the stage danced on his face beautifully.

Jungkook heart stopped wavering.

“It’s time,” Jimin said smiling before going towards the stage.

Jungkook followed him.

 

 

 

 

Jungkook and Jimin went up the stage. They took to their position, they could see their teacher give them a signal and they exchanged looks. It was time. The music started.

 

 

 

Jungkook couldn’t hear a thing, it was like his ears were tuned out. Jimin exhaled maintaining their last position. Then it came. The applause and the cheers. It was like the hearing was louder and the light clearer and nothing existed except Jimin and Jungkook. They held hands and bowed, they could finally see in the audience Taehyung jumping up and down, Seokjin taking photos, Hoseok whistling while Namjoon raised his thumb up. Everyone was there.

They bowed one last time along with the rest of the kids. A person from the staff called them back and they run down the stage to the backstage. Once there, they all screamed loudly in excitement, they hugged each other as the teacher Lee came to congratulate each of them. Jungkook and Jimin didn’t leave each other’s side for a moment: Jungkook had the arm over Jimin’s shoulder while the latter was encircling his waist.

They cheered together with the others, but after that Jungkook dragged Jimin in a corner.

Jimin blinked at him, unable to stop smiling.

“Hyung,” Jungkook’s hands were on his forearms squeezing gently. “Jimin hyung. I think I never thanked you for making come back to dancing. So thank you, really, if it weren’t for you...” Jungkook wasn’t able to continue the emotions too much to handle.

“Please, don’t even mention it,” Jimin said blushing and at the same time wanting to hold the younger, being stable together.

“No. Really. I mean it. You did so much for me.” Jungkook said looking at Jimin in the eyes and taking a step, making them impossibly close.

Jimin could count his lashes, see him wetting his lips. He closed his eyes. It was just a soft touch. A timid touch of lips over lips, but they both felt it. It was like the world died, like the world started all over again. Jimin opened his eyes and found Jungkook just some inches from here, his gaze full and yet so unreadable. He saw the younger open his lips, but before anything could come out, they were startled by the whistle of Taehyung. They took a step back. Jungkook, however, squeezed his hand reassuring, before distancing himself and Jimin could breathe. A promise for a later.

Their friends came running towards them, Taehyung and Hoseok basically jumping on them.

“You were great!”

Seokjin was still clapping and Namjoon was smiling his dimpled smile.

“Thank you,” Jimin said, voice full of unshed tears after they managed to quite down.

“It was lit, man!” Taehyung shouted in Jungkook’s ear.

“Yeah whatever, Tae” Jungkook said, but he couldn’t’ stop smiling too. At some point though, he excused himself to go the toilet, he had needed to go since before, but at the time, their stage had been too close. High in adrenaline Jungkook practically went out jumping. He stopped for a brief second at the threshold to look at this friends and Jimin. They exchanged gazes and he smiled.

He was so happy and so distracted that he didn’t notice someone was coming his way and he almost crashed into them.

“Oh sorry, I didn’t see you.”

The guy luckily moved away just in time to avoid the collision and so the huge bouquet of flowers he was bringing.

“Don’t worry, I saw you up there, I guess you are still running high on adrenaline. By the way congrats!”

“You could say that,” he laughed, “And thank you.” Jungkook made to go but the guy stopped him.

“Sorry, but are you by any chance Park Jimin?”

Jungkook a bit annoyed because he really needed to pee, shook his head.

“Nope. Park Jimin is in there, small, dark hair, eye smile, you can’t miss it.”

“Oh thanks man.”

“By the way, why?” Jungkook asked a bit curious eyeing the bouquet.

“Just that this guy in a suit and gray hair told me to give this bouquet to Park Jimin,” the guy said shrugging.

Jungkook felt a shiver run down his spine. He had a feeling—a really bad feeling.

He took some steps back, took the bouquet from the guy who yelped but didn’t manage to stop Jungkook from reading the note.

“Where is he?” Jungkook said darkly, handing the bouquet back. Which it actually cost him a lot because he wanted to throw it.

“Where is who?”

“The guy who gave you this, where is he?” Jungkook asked, and the tone he used didn’t leave room to do anything but answer.

“In the atrium! But what..?” Jungkook didn’t stay to listen to his answer but he sprinted down the hallway, toilet forgotten, and ran towards the atrium.

And there, over there near the glass door, there was indeed a man, with gray dyed hair and expensive suit. He was smaller than Jungkook thought and slimmer, but he remembered that blank face from a long, long long time ago, even though he almost believed to have erased that face from his memory. His face looked so different from the pictures in his profile and fan pages, he usually looked more soft and charismatic in them. His eyes were still cold and unreadable, though.

The man tilted his head puzzled when it was clear Jungkook was there for him.

“Why are you here?” Jungkook asked out of breath, but still determined to have an answer.

The man didn’t reply but looked at him annoyed.

“Why are you here?” Jungkook asked again raising his voice.

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that, kid?” the man finally replied in a tone that sounded bored.

“Why are you here?” Jungkook asked one more time. He was starting to lose his patience.

The man chuckled, took his hands out of his pockets and came closer to Jungkook. Jungkook was glad to be at least taller because the man was really intimidating.

“I think it’s none of your business. You are not Park Jimin,” The man replied.

Jungkook clenched his fists.

They stared at each other for a while, none of them wanting to tear their gaze first. Then the man in front of Jungkook smiled interrupting their staring contest. Jungkook felt even more intimidated but he didn’t back out.

“I’m Jeon Jungkook,” He said, trying to regain some composure.

“Nice to meet you, Jungkook. I’m Min Yoongi. But I guess you knew that.”

“I’ve been wanting to talk you for while,” Jungkook replied trying to not fall in the man’s tricks.

Yoongi laughed. “Guess what? Me too, Jeon Jungkook.”

Before Jungkook could reply, he heard footsteps echoing behind them, till they stopped. He heard the sound of a labored breath and Jungkook knew who was and yet he couldn’t turn around.

“Yoongi,” came the voice of Jimin, calling the name of the other man.

Jungkook saw it. He saw the face of Yoongi change, a new light in his eyes, more gentler, kinder and the voice full of emotion when he called.

“Jimin.”

 

Suddenly he felt like an intruder.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note: I know. I know, believe me, but at least we finally have the meeting! Let's enjoy the last crazy emotional roller coaster, I promise you, we'll land safe and happy!