00.4

A world for two

warning: unbetad

 

 

00.4


Jungkook was seated at a table, his fingers drumming the rhythm of the choreography of that evening. It was one of those psychological tricks that allowed him to take time and not commit the irreparable, a tactic learned years before that had been necessary, given how often the brilliant ideas of Taehyung ended badly.
It certainly was not how he had imagined his dinner, not with Kim Seokjin who was busy wiping furiously the table; not with Park Jimin who apologized to their seat neighbors for the inconvenience; and certainly not after a clumsy guy with green hair, that thought it was a good idea to wear sunglasses at ten at night, had spilled half of the drinks on him.
Taehyung, I ask for forgiveness for all the times that I thought you were a disaster.

 

 



The table was small for two people, so when Jungkook quickly bit into his sandwich, his elbow collided with those of Jimin.
"Sorry," said Jungkook after he managed to swallow the big bite.
Taehyung used to say that when Jungkook ate was just like watching someone that hadn't eaten for several days and that was a disgusting and terrifying show. Jungkook had always thought Taehyung had not much right to complain because he had no manners too, but when half the lettuce fell from the bun, along with a good dose of sauce, Jungkook could not help but be slightly embarrassed.

He wasn't familiar with Park Jimin, probably the person most far away from everything that was Kim Taehyung.

He looked sideways at Jimin, who was watching him.
Jimin shook his head, as if to say 'it's ok', and then in turn he swallowed an excessive sip of Coke, managing to spilling out a bit from the corners of his mouth and choke on the rest.
Jungkook laughed as he hit the back of the other the number zero, who seemed about to choke.
He wondered how come the other's clumsiness managed to make him relax.
"We are two uncivilized human beings" Jimin said after he had recovered enough to be able to speak.
"Agree". Jungkook replied with a half smile.
When Jungkook had sat at the table of Jimin, the latter had seemed surprised and even rather panicked. He had babbled something unintelligible, although Jungkook feared he wasn't much more eloquent, and had offered to keep an eye on his backpack while he went to order at the counter. Jungkook had then decided to wait at the desk for his sandwich to be heated in an attempt to gain time and think of some topic of conversation.
When he returned to the table, of course, it had not occurred to him even one.
He was pleased that the embarrassment turned to be only momentary.
"Mm. Jungkook. Did you do anything interesting these days?” it was the usual question to break the ice but Jungkook was grateful that at least Jimin was trying.
"Interesting? Not much. The usual. College, assigns. Try to survive to Kim Taehyung "Jungkook, then, at the puzzled look of Jimin, explained" my best friend ".
"I know something about trying to survive to the best friends" Jimin said smiling and Jungkook thought about the cold Kim Seokjin and nodded.
"Yeah well, I don't think you've ever met someone like Taehyung before, hyung. He is another species, I swear. " Jungkook shook his head, biting the last bite of his sandwich.
"It means that you are one too, since you're his best friend."
"Obviously. He started to convert me since primary school and completed his work in high school. I've been of another species for years now. "Jimin chuckled.
“Did he attend our same school?" Jimin then asked.
"Yes. Even though he wasn't in the dance club. He was in the astronomy club, he is an expert in constellations and I think he had revolutionized the whole club. I bet they'll never forget him. "
"His name seemed familiar" Jimin said, getting lost in his thoughts.
Jungkook took a sip of his soda and then he realized that they had entered into the topic 'high school' and it was the last topic he wanted to touch. Because it would have meant talking about everything that had happened and Jungkook wasn't sure he wanted to hear that story, ever, so he tried to change the direction of the conversation.
"And you hyung . What have you been doing? Your job?” it was the right tactic because soon Jimin launched himself into a detailed description of the last days. Jungkook found himself immersed in the conversation, listening to him as he spoke of his work, his boss and colleagues.
It had to be expected.
It was so damn easy to talk with Jimin.
Jungkook wasn't a chatter, and the only one who had really been able to get him out of his shell , was Taehyung. Jungkook, later, turned out to be just as lively, just as mad, but in any case it was not easy for him to get along with people even when he wanted to. And when he could not, he pretended, because as a number zero he had refined this art.
Yet he didn't need to pretend with Jimin.
It was so easy that Jungkook forgot the circumstances and any reluctance he had against him.

It was only when the straw the bottom of the can that he realized the actual time spent.
Jungkook blinked.
"Want another?" Jimin asked politely, amused by the outraged look that younger threw at the can.
"No. I'm good. "Jungkook said, glancing at his watch. An hour. He didn't even noticed.
"It 's a bit late though, Jimin hyung. I get up early tomorrow". For once it was true and Jungkook tried to sound sorry to have to interrupt their time. He didn't have to pretend the feeling though.
"All right. I'm not supposed to be late too."Jungkook nodded, being aware Jimin was an office worker and that he was a responsible adult, despite his boyish features.
You could see it in his calm gestures, in the way he listened to him, in the fact that he didn't accuse Jungkook of anything.
He didn't ask the younger why he decided to stay and didn't seem discouraged by any of Jungkook's behaviors even when he behaved akin to rudeness.

For the first time Jungkook wondered why Jimin had accepted an arranged marriage between numbers zero.

"See you next Tuesday hyung. And thanks again "Jungkook said after Jimin had insisted on offering him dinner. "Next time it's my treat!" he said, surprising even himself.
"Looking forward then," said Jimin. He looked taken aback but a smile lit up his face nonetheless.
Jungkook found himself smiling too as often happened those days, because the smile of Jimin was contagious.
So there were people like that, who smiled easily without having to think, without an actual reason, without needing to be numbers two to do it genuinely.
Park Jimin was evidently one of those people.


 



Jimin considered himself a positive person. His motto had been "wake up in the morning with a smile" since he was young, and he didn't care how many problems, many quarrels and how many potential reasons there were to be sad.

Every morning was a new day and as such, it hadn't happened something to ruin his mood yet.
However, this didn't mean he hadn’t, for a long time, felt like his life was meaningless. He felt alone, drifting on the ocean of nothing, and even the most ordinary thing had become a difficult task. Things like going to work or finding something with which to occupy his days off.

There was a sense of emptiness, of unfinished, the feeling of wasting time and above all the fear of finding out one day that he had remained in the same position, motionless, as the world had passed him by.
Lately, however, waking up and going to work had become easier.
It was always a job he didn't like very much and that he saw it as a duty, one of the many he was going to get used for the next years, if not for his entire life. However, since his parents had come that day to offer him a mate, many things had changed.
First, in one of his most brilliant decisions of the past five years, and perhaps of his whole existence, he had found something he had thought he had lost forever.
Yet he must have knonw that dancing was a part of himself.
And then there was Jungkook.

Every time he tried to rationalize Jeon Jungkook, he got lost.

So he proceeded by instinct, with shy attempts, hoping to make the right move.
They had dinner together twice in a row after that first time. It was fun every time and he believed it was the same for Jungkook or he would have not agreed to have dinner together the Thursday after.
Jeon Junkook was lively, funny and a bit cocky, but just enough to tease without offending.
"You like him" said Seokjin tilting his head. Jimin had been updating him during all the meal. They had this habit of sharing lunch time together trying new restaurants.
"What?" Jimin said, trying not to choke as the last time. It had been embarrassing.
Seokjin looked at him, with that look that was capable of reading Jimin like an open book.
“ Jeon Jungkook " Seokjin said with a shrug.
"Of course I like him. We are friends. Well, almost. We're getting there, "said Jimin sure of himself.
"And are you telling me that the engagement doesn't matter anymore?" Seokjin asked curious.
" No, it's not like that. I have in mind the situation we're in. But I'm not doing this because I want to get him to marry me. "
Jimin frowned. It seemed absurd and it was also difficult to explain.
"Have you ever known someone with all the favorable circumstances and at the same time with millions of reasons against, someone who, for some irrational reason, you find impossible to ignore? I'm not talking about love, friendship or something that makes sense, I'm talking about someone so interesting to make you die of curiosity?"
Jimin was sure that his words made no sense but Seokjin didn't look at him like he was hysterical but with the kindly smile that comes from someone who understands you deeply even when words fail you.
"It happened to me," Seokjin said closing his eyes.
He wondered for a moment if Jimin realized that his words were really similar to the description of a soul mate.
"So I'm not crazy?" Jimin asked.
"Not crazier than me, I guess" Seokjin replied.
"It isn't very reassuring , you know" Jimin said before bursting into laughter.
Seokjin struck Jimin behind his head.




Another Tuesday. It was surreal how something so new it became a habit.
He no longer divided his time into equal parts 'weekend, Taehyung and Hoeok, University'.

Every so often 'his parents'.
It had become 'university, Taehyung and Hoseok, dancing. No parents. Jimin.'
Jungkook wasn't being silly, he knew his parents would soon come back with something. But it was nice for once imagining to be in an alternate reality in which only dancing and the people he cared about mattered.
"Guys I have to go to class or I'll be late". Jungkook announced, abandoning the console on the carpet as he stood up.
He had visited Taehyung, not for lack of things to do because he had 3 chapters to study waiting for him at home, but because he missed his best friend and Hoseok.
Taehyung who under any other circumstances would have complained that Jungkook was abandoning him, burst with enthusiasm.
Every so often he wondered if the conversations he had with Taehyung really happened or were just a figment of his delirious imagination.
"Yes, of course! Park Jimin is waiting for you! "
Jungkook decided to grunt rather than bothering to reply. Hoseok who had collapsed on the couch for a well-deserved nap (the internship at the hospital was driving him crazy) chuckled.
"You know that this is just the beginning?" he teased with a tired voice, but also with evident amusement.
"Hyung you should be on my side!" Jungkook whined. Hoseok laughed harder.
Jungkook and Taehyung had spent so much time together since they were four, that there was nothing, absolutely nothing that could be kept secret between them even if Jungkook wanted. Taehyung had slipped into his life like a vine embracing a wall just to end up supporting each other. He could not keep Park Jimin away from Taehyung for too long.
" I don't know why you are not taking me with you now, you know it's inevitable." Taehyung butted in.
"If I have to bring someone to class, I would take Hoseok, he is ten thousand times better than you dancing. Besides this is just transitory. Sooner or later my parents will give up or I'll move to another continent."
"I thought you were becoming friends with Jimin?"
Jungkook shook his head. Friends? He would use the term 'friendly'. They saw each other regularly of course, but the word friends was too big. Especially for something he wasn't ready to admit.
"Taehyung" he said instead, sounding annoyed.
"Jungkook" Taehyung replied back.
He sighed. It was useless to argue with Taehyung when he was being stubborn. He had never seemed against Park Jimin during high school but he wasn't one of his admirers either.

He didn't understand why of all people who had crossed his path, Taehyung thought Park Jimin was the most suitable to stay.
Hoseok and Taehyung exchange one of those soul mates looks, the ones with which they communicated without the need for words.
"I'm going," said Jungkook. He had no desire to find out what those two were plotting.
Jungkook took the backpack and giving a final farewell to the odd couple, he was gone.

There was a brief silence in the apartment until Taehyung decided to leave the console on the carpet and crawl to the sofa, to go rest his head on Hoseok's hand.
"Do you think we should tell him?" Asked Taehyung.
"We're not sure Taehyung, he could be another Park Jimin"
"Black hair, cute, 26 years old, of your home town and that can dance? I don't think so Hobi, it must be him", said the number one all excited. Hoseok with his other hand his hair, because when Taehyung got so bright Hoseok couldn't refrain himself from touching him, like moths that are attracted to light.
Taehyung and Hoseok spent no less than five years together if they excluded the year Hoseok had spent abroad.

Hoseok had not learned the details of Taehyung's life because he had lived it with him, as Jungkook could boast, but he had learned them from Taehyung's mouth, during all the countless afternoons spent telling each other secrets, filling the gaps, being honest with one another.

That was how Taehyung learned that Hoseok used to danced and that he was damn good, before the turn on events knocked down his family and changed his mind about the type of career to pursue. Taehyung then learned that a distant summer of twelve years earlier, Hoseok had spent the entire holiday days dancing with a kid named Jimin. His best friend.
"In any case I won't meddle in Jungkook's life."
"But he was a friend of yours."
" Yes he was. But you really think it's the thing that Junkook needs now? I told you, we'll wait and see what happens. "
"You're right, maybe I'm just too curious" Taehyung said, closing his eyes and letting Hoseok his hair for a while longer, relaxing under his touch.
When he was eighteen and his parents had announced that the meeting with his soul mate was close, Taehyung had been taken by the excitement combined with a vague sense of panic.
His soulmate had to like Jungkook and Jungkook had to like his soulmate. He couldn't accept something different. However when shared his concerns with his parents, they had looked at him puzzled, as if those shouldn't be the worries of a number one in the process of meeting his soulmate, his perfect match.
But Taehyung loved Jungkook and hoped that his number one would have love him as well, because Jungkook was another part of himself.
Knowing Hoseok, Taehyung had soon realized that his fears were unfounded.
"If he's so important to you. Then he is for me, "he said. Hoseok and Jungkook had loved each other just as he had hoped.
The very fact that Hoseok put his wishes in second place it was a proof of their bond.

The truth was that he didn't want to tie Jimin back to his life and consequently in that of everyone, if things didn't go well with Jungkook .
Hosoek had said he was lucky to be the soul mate of Taehyung.
Taehyung thought that he was the lucky one.




The Teacher Lee was a despot.
Jungkook was sure.
He made them repeat their routine a hundred times and had corrected every error, even those not visible to the human eye.
He said things like "half the job is cleaning the movements" and showed no mercy in front of movements he found sloppy.
The only one who seemed indifferent to this kind of teaching was Jimin, who accepted everything willingly. It helped that Jimin, although he was weak in memorizing the order of the steps, had a control over his body that looked superhuman. His transitions were smooth, it was like watching water in motion.

Jungkook wanted to be just as smooth, but there was probably something more in Jimin that was only his alone: no matter how hard he tried, only Jimin could dance like that.
This didn't mean that Jungkook would stop trying to reach that level of perfection.

"Ok we're done for today", teacher Lee announced with his shrill voice.
All of the students dropped on the floor exchanging exhausted smiles.
After the first lessons in which they were ignored as if they were rare beasts, the teens boldly started asking questions to Jimin and Jungkook. The questions soon turned into a real interrogation, the kids eager to learn more. They were good kids.
"Water, I need water" sighed Jimin from the floor. Jungkook smiled and gave him his.
"Today was tough." He went on, after he had taken a sip.
"You are the one speaking when you are the favorite of teacher Lee" Jungkook teased. Jimin shook his head.
"It's not true."
At that time the stomach of Jungkook growled with hunger.
"I'd say it's time to go get some food, hm?"
The stomach of Jimin agreed with him.
They both laughed, before getting up and collect their belongings.
It had passed merely more than a week but the air had lightened a lot.
There was no longer a nervous Jungkook trying to get out of there and no Jimin was left alone and confused.
Jungkook didn't want to admit that he liked this new routine, that he was beginning to consider Jimin a friend of his: not to himself, not to the others, above all not to Taehyung.

There was a first time for everything they said. The truth was that he was scared to death.

"Jimin would you come eat with me and Namjoon tonight?" Asked Kim Seokjin once that they came to the reception.
Jungkook winced. He and Kim Seokjin still had the same cold relationship that had never warmed up since that first encounter.
"Actually I'm having dinner with Jungkookie today" replied Jimin a bit surprised.
"Jimin hyung, it's not a problem for me we can always ...."
"Good, you can come with us too, Jungkook" interrupted the blonde receptionist. "Postpone to another time" Jungkook had wanted to finish.
"Are you sure it's okay with you?" Jimin asked him doubtfully. And Jungkook could retire his words and go home, but Kim Seokjin was watching him and it was a matter of pride. Jungkook would die before admitting defeat.
"Sure. No problem".
Jimin who sported one of his favorite smiles, seemed completely unaware of the personal drama in which Jungkook was caught.
"Jin hyung can we go to the restaurant we went last time?" Jimin asked.
The receptionist nodded, then he let out a smile, throwing one even at Jungkook, who instead felt the blood freeze in his veins.
Why he had the feeling that he had just been tricked?