00.17

A world for two

00.17

 

 

 

 

There’s always peace after the storm.

Sometimes you think that this pain will never end, that this void where it should be the heart will forever stay there, no matter how long, no matter how much effort you put into patch it.

But then, almost unexpected, almost in disbelief, comes the peace. Perhaps even the grieving process has its end. The thing is, smiling suddenly becomes something you are able to do again. Maybe the cause is the new circumstances, maybe your wounds finally healed.

Maybe it’s cause of the people close to you. Yes, it’s their love that healed you.

Jungkook didn’t remember when was the last time he'd been so at ease with himself. Certainly, his problems did not go, the great schemes of the world were still there, beyond his reach, but a friendship could indeed be heart-warming. Or maybe it was just Jimin’s merit, his brain suggested.

“Tell me, who are you, and what did you do to Jeon Jungkook?” Asked Taehyung during their lunch meeting in the canteen. Jungkook looked at him angrily raising his head from the plate. He wondered for a moment if the idiotic question of Taehyung was worth a reply, before deciding that no, not really, it was more important to keep eating. And so he was about to do so when the phone, which he had left beside the plate, vibrated and the name on the screen was enough to distract him. A smile appeared on his face. Completely ignoring Taehyung, Jungkook put his fork down on and immediately replied back.

Once done, he decided to refocus his attention on his friend, just to realise that Taehyung had leant from his chair to spy on the screen of his cell phone. Judging by the victorious grin, he was able to catch on something.

Jungkook gave him a withering look.

"I don’t know why I'm surprised, You’ve always been a busybody," Jungkook commented tormenting the spinach on his plate with a fork.

"I'm your best friend. I'm more than sure that meddling is one of the rules in the bro-code!" Chirped Taehyung unperturbed. Jungkook sighed. "Jimin, hm?" Taehyung added, moving his eyebrows suggestively.

"Jimin Hyung texted me to arrange a time for rehearsal. With the showcase coming close we want to practice as much as possible. "

"Aha" Taehyung said, with a voice full of undertones.

"What?"

"Nothing, nothing. Except that I’m your friend too, yet you never replied to me so fast. You've even stopped eating! You would never do that for me! Even when in the third grade I stumbled scratching my knee, you continued eating from the bag of chips! "

"This is because the food is more important than you," Jungkook replied sardonically.

"But apparently it’s not more important than Jimin!" Exclaimed a smug Taehyung. Damn got caught, Jungkook whined internally, blushing to the roots of his hair. His best friend gave him a toothy grin before continuing to emptying his plate. Jungkook looked away, trying to hide his embarrassment.

There was some truth in the words of Taehyung, it was useless to deny it. Jimin and him had become friends, very good friends. Ever since that fateful evening, Jungkook had pledged to keep his word. Honestly, it hadn’t been hard to do so. The texts and calls between them were frequent, as well as their encounters. Sometimes they would meet up with the others, some other times they were only them, and that was without the dance classes. Jungkook kept repeating himself that they were normal meetings between two friends who wanted to kill time together. The truth? It was so easy to enjoy the company of Jimin. They had so much in common, dancing to name one, but having the older done his own faculty, he was able to help Jungkook even in the study department. And then there was that odd complicity they had. Those shared silences, that sense of security that only Jimin could give him. Jungkook could not understand if it was because the other was older because they were both numbers zero, or simply because Jimin was well himself.

However, although he knew that his feelings were an intricate bundle that were hardly covered by the umbrella of the word friendship, Jungkook was too pleased with how things were to dare to go further. Going where? Jungkook, unfortunately, did not have a script to follow, those kind of feelings were unknown territory for him and he didn’t quite know how to behave. He knew friendship, friendship was fine, he told himself once again. Yet the desire, the sensation of utter bliss he felt in having Jimin in his arms that night, was still imprinted with fire into his mind, impressed into his limbs.

Jungkook wanted to bang his head against a wall and forget everything. But it was impossible. Something changed.

"By the way when is the showcase?" Taehyung asked taking him back to reality. Jungkook blinked trying to collect himself.

"Next Saturday. Do you think Hobi Hyung will able to come? "Asked Jungkook, worried all of a sudden.

Taehyung seemed to be weighing the answer for a moment. "I hope so. But you know how it is with the hospital shifts." He replied with a darkened face.

"I hope he comes! Actually, I wanted to ask him if he wanted to practice with me and Jimin this Sunday. A new pair of eyes would do us good. "Jungkook added. Any shadow that had passed on Taehyung face disappeared. "Oh yes, ask him, please! It would make him so happy. "

" I'll ask him, then. It would be an honour, "Jungkook replied meaning every word. His best friend replied with a huge smile. Jungkook smiled back.

Jungkook didn’t know what was love and the love he witnessed, the one between numbers two, had never had anything attractive in his eyes. Even when it came to Taehyung and Hoseok, who were the most enamoured couple he had ever known, Jungkook could not get rid of his prejudice, and find their love a bit boring, precisely because it was decided. After all, what was so special about falling in love with someone you were already fated to love?

Yet he wondered if he had been unfair in his blindness. He had been so focused on his personal tragedy that he had never considered that just because things were written, then it meant no effort was required. Something changed, he thought. One of the things that changed, was his way of looking at relationships. A way that was more open, human. That’s how, while looking for an answer, he found himself seeing things he had never noticed before.

The almost maternal affection with which Taehyung took care of his soul mate, for example. Always looking for a way to satisfy his needs, always attentive, always meticulous. The way Hoseok backed away to make room for Taehyung and him. He had always taken that space for granted, but it wasn’t like that at all, and perhaps in his blindness, he had sinned greatly of ingratitude. What other things in his selfish tunnel vision did he miss to notice? Jimin said that perhaps numbers two and zero were more alike than assumed.

Against his will, he found himself thinking about Min Yoongi and the different and endless spirals in which you can fall for love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

After that night, the night Jimin wouldn’t forget for a long time, Jungkook showed himself at his door with pizza and a package of beer in his hands, proclaiming to be bored and hungry and claiming, since Taehyung and Hoseok were in their own world, the company of his friend Jimin. Saying that he was surprised was an understatement. The changes, however, did not stop them with that. Jungkook now texted him often during the day, even when he had just unnecessary things to tell or silly pictures of cute cats. But above all he had started talking. They spoke of the time, dancing, their friends, work. It was a raging river and Jimin willingly allowed himself to be carried away.

"How can you stop yourself to love too much Jin Hyung?" Jimin had asked his best friend after he had invaded his house, overdosed on Jungkook.

"You cannot, silly. "Seokjin replied half laughing before putting in his hands a giant cup of tea, because, as always, he was convinced that eta could fix everything from the colds to the moments in which you were emotionally shaken .

If he had felt something for Jungkook before, now that Jungkook had finally come out of his shell Jimin had completely lost his mind.

"Hyung!" Jungkook entered through the front door of the community centre with a toothy grin. It was like watching the sun peeking through the hills. Jimin found himself thinking once again how unfair it was for this Jungkook to remain hidden from the world. It was those rules, the rules of a corrupted and cruel society that stifled their hearts.

Jimin smiled.

"I brought someone with me!" Chirped Jungkook more enthusiastic than ever. The older jumped in joy as soon as he saw him.

"Hoseok!" Exclaimed excitedly going to meet his friend. Jimin asked himself why he didn’t’ have the same brilliant idea, but he was glad Jungkook thought about it.

"Good morning! Jungkook convinced me to come and take a look, I don’t know if I can be useful as it’s been a while since the last time I put a foot on a dance floor, "said Hoseok, looking nervously around.

"Don’t be silly, dancing is a part of you and if there is someone who can be useful to us, that someone it's you?" Jimin said, grabbing the hands of Hoseok with affection. The smile the latter gave them could light up an entire city.

"Hello everyone!" Cried a voice from the entrance.

"Oh, Taehyung you are here too!" Jimin was genuinely pleased to see the number two. Since they had exchanged phone numbers, Jimin had started to interact with the musician as often as he did with Jungkook. Taehyung texted him at the most bizarre hours and was able to pull out every time a joke more ridiculous than the previous one, making him smile without fail.

"At your service," Taehyung said as he twirled the keys on a finger. "My presence here is vital." He said with a shrug while Jungkook pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation (but he was fooling no one because he hadn’t stopped smiling, Jimin noticed). Then as to emphasise the truth of his words, the number two took out a big camera from his backpack.

"Am I wrong or that it’s one of the cameras of Seokjin Hyung?" Jimin asked in disbelief. He would recognise that camera everywhere. It was the first one Seokjin had bought with his earnings. Since then, he had managed to buy more sophisticated and expensive cameras but the blond had developed a strong attachment to the object since that camera had witnessed the beginnings of his career as a photographer.

"How did you do it? Seokjin let me hold that camera just once, let alone use it! "Jimin said impressed.

"Magic!" Taehyung said moving his eyebrows suggestively. Later Seokjin allegedly confessed to Jimin that Taehyung had been ready to give up the coupon for a day at the spa, the one gifted by Jungkook, just to be able to use the best equipment. Seokjin had given him the camera right away, refusing the exchange.

Seokjin had figured out, and Jimin too, that moment meant a lot to Taehyung, to the point he decided to capture it in the best possible way. Because it meant a lot to Hoseok.

"Let's go Jimin Hyung before this guy starts to talk nonsense," Jungkook said jokingly, putting a hand on his shoulder and pushing the older gently in the direction of their practice room.

Jimin's stomach did somersaults. It seemed to come to him so easily. The touch between them seemed to come to Jungkook so easily, like he had been doing nothing but hug, touch, shake Jimin all this time.

Once inside the room, Jimin took their backpacks and put them in a corner while Jungkook went fiddling with the stereo. With the corner of his eyes, Jimin saw Hoseok hesitating on the threshold. Suddenly he found himself back in that damp and abandoned gym and it was like being hit by a train, to realise how much time had passed since then. But we're still here, together. He thought.

Hoseok seemed to recover quickly, however. Jimin saw him change, a shift in that professional mode he used to had when it was time to learn a new choreography. Jimin knew that expression too well, but Jungkook and Taehyung seemed fascinated. The three dancers positioned themselves in the centre of the room and began warming up while Taehyung went to sit on the bench holding the camera.

Once they finished their warm-up exercises, Jungkook and Jimin decided to show Hoseok the choreography first, and then the original video made by their teacher, so that he could have a clearer picture. Jimin glanced at Jungkook and the two without having to exchange a word, took a position and waited for the song to start. There were still imperfect transitions, Jimin knew but for the time being, he just let his body follow the memorised movements while paying attention to the beat. From time to time, he would look at Jungkook through the mirror, to check if their coordination was accurate. The presence of Hoseok with his expert eyes was a reason for further reassurance.

When the music finally went diminishing and the last of their steps executed, Jimin and Jungkook were welcomed by the sound of the enthusiastic applause of Taehyung and Hoseok.

"Jimin I already knew that you were fantastic, but it seems that you improved tremendously from the last time we danced together! And you Jungkookie! You've never wanted to show me a video and now I regret not having insisted more! How long did you plan you to hid your talent? "Hoseok exclaimed, clapping his hands enthusiastically.

Jimin saw Jungkook smile, embarrassed but happy.

"Don’t you ever think we don’t appreciate your compliments Hobi, but we are here for your hawk eyes," Jimin said happily. Hoseok grinned.

"Ha ha! You give me too much credit Jiminie, but let me see the original choreography. Then if you want, I'll tell you my opinion. " Jimin took the computer from his backpack.

"Oh, it's Lee Seunghyun!" Exclaimed Hoseok. Jimin and Jungkook looked at him surprised. "He's just the youngest dancer to ever win a competition at national level, in my town he’s pretty much a hero, but details," the number two said, waving his hand.

It took Hoseok two times, just two times for him to learn the main points of their choreography. Jungkook watched his Hyung with a new feeling, vaguely similar to the veneration. Jimin smiled. This was nothing new for him, Hoseok had been able to learn a choreography pretty quickly even then. Jimin wondered which level his childhood friend had achieved during high school, to be able to do something like that even now, after years of inactivity. He smiled a bit sadly, as he realised they would never know.

"I think you'll be great!" He said Hoseok from a corner of the room. Two hours had gone flying and the three of them were sweaty and out of breath. Taehyung instead seemed to have abandoned the camera on the ground, in favour of a nap, but Jimin knew he had recorded for a good hour.

 Jimin saw Hoseok go towards his soul mate in the same moment Taehyung decide to open his eyes and smile Jimin found himself having to look away, to meet by chance Jungkook’s, who was shaking his head cutely, like he was complaining about the excessive affectations among his friends. Jimin chuckled.

Being a number zero wasn’t easy for a million reasons. One of the many reasons was the fact that they were constantly witnessing demonstrations of love and affection, knowing well that would never happen to them. It was something that demolished a little piece of you little by little until nothing remained but envy, frustration and resentment. Jimin had never wanted to be that kind of person, the one that cursed in darkness instead of being happy that his friends were happy. That didn’t mean it was always simple for him: he had seen how his friend looked at Taehyung and vice versa. And for years he had in front of his eyes the charismatic couple of Seokjin and Namjoon while he was alone. However, it was important to find a light side even in those situations: like teasing playfully your friends for their mushy actions. Finding a reason to smile was always the best solution.

In any case, Jungkook gave him a nod and started to get up. Jimin followed him without hesitation, preferring to let the other two in their world.

"It was a memorable practice. I knew Hoseok Hyung was good but not this good "Jungkook said enthusiastically as they headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

"I can not help but think about what kind of dancer he was during his last year of activity." Jimin expressed aloud.

"Me too. He must have been a wonder. "Jungkook said thoughtfully. Once in the bathroom, they went to the sinks and they both freshened their face flushed with cold water.

"I'm glad you've called him. It was nice of you. And also useful, he still has an eye for these things. " Jimin said fondly.

" Indeed,I don’t know how it didn’t come to mind sooner! I think he was happy. I know that he is more than satisfied with his career, but if you danced long enough and you loved to do it, it’s not easy to put it away in a drawer. "

"Yeah. The two of us are here too. Unable to forget the feeling of moving to the beat of the music. To think that you were so reluctant and now you're the most excited. "Jimin teased, and then pinched Jungkook’s cheek like people do with children.

Jungkook decided to answer maturely by spraying a bit of water on the face.

"Hey!" Exclaimed Jimin shoving water in return. It wasn’t an innocent spray but a real jet that soaked the younger’s shirt. Jungkook seemed paralysed for a second. Jimin was afraid to have overdone it and he was ready to apologise, even it had been the younger who started when Jungkook scooped water with folded hands and shouted "War!"

He bathed him from head to toe.

Ten minutes later they were soaking wet and had managed in the expected task of flooding half of the room.

"God Seokjin Hyung will kill me. He'll kill me!! "Jimin said and put his hands on his cheeks. Jungkook laughed , flattened fringe on the forehead and the soaked trousers.

"What are you laughing at?" Jimin shouted outraged . If possible Jungkook laughed even louder.

Taehyung and Hoseok found them rolling on the floor, wet and laughing like crazy.

Taehyung took a commemorative picture. It could always come in hand as blackmail material.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Good morning, My name is Min Yoongi, I’m chief producer at Big hit entertainment. I call to get some clarification about the tickets for the charity gala which will be held next Saturday. "

The person on the phone seemed to choke on his own saliva. Yoongi snorted internally. He honestly didn’t know why he was doing what he was doing. Lies, he knew the reason, but it was better to not dwell too much on it. In short, he was trying to get an invitation to a showcase of young talents, it could always be helpful to their agency even though, to tell the truth, the event was so small that it was understandable that the person on the phone had almost fainted at hearing the name of their agency. But Yoongi had no other way but going through official channels.

It was much simpler. Much easier than going to the office of Namjoon and ask for a ticket for the event held by the association where his soul mate usually volunteered. It would have been easier to meet the head of state than getting a favour from Kim Seokjin. Moreover, Yoongi didn’t want them to know of his plans. He sighed as he heard the girl stammer something and put the phone on hold.

When Namjoon told him that Jimin went back to dancing, Yoongi thought he was kidding him. It was impossible. That part of Jimin had died that last ominous year of high school, one of the many regrets Yoongi would carry forever, along with the weight of knowing that it was him, with his actions albeit indirectly, the responsible for the end of Park Jimin’s dreams.

Do not open that door, he said to himself. It was useless to unroll the list of the countless failures committed by him, it would not solve anything. Anyway, Yoongi found himself reflecting on what Namjoon had let slip. He knew that Namjoon had said it to help Yoongi let bygones be bygones. The fact that Jimin was dancing again, it was enough to reiterate the concept that he had moved on.

What did you think, that he would forever stay with broken wings, crying over the ruins of a love that has done nothing but hurt him? Asked in his subconscious hastily.

Of course not. Replied, Yoongi. However, since his brain had decided to have a mid-life crisis well before reaching middle age and he had so found himself in the throes of adolescent nonsense, Yoongi ended up deciding to see with his own eyes if everything corresponded to reality. If he really Jimin had begun to dance, as a number zero there were very few places where he could do that. They could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Yoongi knew that Kim Seokjin had tried for years, even in college, to convince Jimin to devote himself to dance once again. He also knew that the blond was volunteering at a cultural association which promoted artistic activities for numbers zero, so what better place for Jimin to start again than the association of his best friend? Seokjin had been able to get him in the end. Unfortunately for him, the blond had never said the name of the association and, moreover, there were two associations in the city which, at that time, had decided to set up a fundraiser. The problem, however, was soon solved: it was enough to find the name of the video making an agency of Seokjin among the sponsors, to find out which was the right one.

Yoongi didn’t know whether to congratulate himself or feel pathetic. In any case, before the last ounce of self-preservation forbidding him, he had looked for the phone number of the organising committee and called.

The courtesy music stopped and a man's voice welcomed him.

"Hello, this is Min Yoongi Min. Yes, of Bright entertainment. I would be interested in participating in the charity gala of your association if it is not too late. "

"You’re lucky Mr Min one of our guests had declined the invitation. Not that there would be any need, we would have found a way to make it participate in any case... "said the voice on the phone in a mellifluous tone. Yoongi said something generic. That was one of those times when he was happy to flaunt his privileges.

I'm a bad person Jimin. I'm a bad person. You know it, I know it and she knows it. Everybody knows. For years. But, if only I could watch you dance one last time.

 

 

 

Author's note: hey!I'm back with regular udpates! I enjoyed writing this chapter a lot! Just so you know we are close, Min Yoongi in all his glory(or non glory). Anyway I might have published a collection of one shots inspired to A world for two with the behind the scenes you won't ever read in here ( whispers XD).For now there's a vhope chapter but I have plans ;) here