00.7

A world for two

Chapter Text

00.7

 

It was the hottest summer Jimin, in his thirteen years of life, remembered. However, the heat wasn’t enough to discourage him and Hoseok from heading to the abandoned gym of their school. Since that gym was ancient and the sport teams preferred training outdoors or in the new gym just built, the dance club could have all that space for themselves.

Practically a luxury.

At the end of July, there would be a small dance championship between the schools in the district and the boys had devoted body and soul in training, hoping to take home the victory. Everyone was working hard but none as hard as Jimin and Hoseok.

"You are crazy," the other teammates said, snickering. But it was also true that everyone recognized that they were in a different category.

Jimin had started with ballet and then he continued with contemporary dance but his meeting with Hoseok had changed his opinion about dancing. Jimin had never seen anyone dance like that and had wanted to do the same.

"I still have a lot to learn Jiminnie,” Hoseok said. But Jimin could not even imagine how Hoseok could be in ten years. He seemed to be the best already and he wanted to have even half the talent his friend had. Hoseok, instead, did nothing but praise Jimin, saying things like: "I've never seen anyone with such control over his own body" or "the way you dance sets you apart" and Jimin wanted so much to believe him.

That year was the first time that Jimin would participate in the competitions as a soloist, and Jimin was a bit nervous. Since he started dancing hip hop by much less time than the others, he had preferred to participate in team competitions and even when Hoseok had offered Jimin to form a duo, he had declined. However, Hoseok had insisted for Jimin to try that year both the solo and the duo and he had found no reason to say no. The incumbent transfer of Hoseok had been one of the major motivational factors. It was sad to say but that championship seemed to be the last thing that the two of them could do together.

"And one, two, three, pause, turn! Jimin the pace!” Jimin was trying to do his best to keep up with Hoseok. He had left him free reign in the composition of the routine and he trusted Hoseok’s vigilant eyes in regard to the details. He trusted Hoseok and he didn’t mind the heat, the fatigue and sore feet, he would continue dancing no matter what.

I love dancing. Dancing is my life.

Hoseok wore a shirt with the high-sounding words written on it and every time Jimin looked at it he felt his strength double.

After three hours spent perfecting the different routines with a break in between, the two finally stopped. They dropped on the floor while the rest of the club, which had finally arrived, warmed up.

“Jimin, it’s impossible for you to not win," said Hoseok, hand to cover his eyes as he tried to catch his breath.

"Very possible, given that you'll be my opponent.” Hoseok laughed and Jimin let out a smile in turn.

They were best friends, dancing companions, and rivals.

“Hobi, I will come visit you every weekend," said Jimin suddenly.

"Of course,” replied Hoseok without even thinking about it, as if it were a fact.

It was a lie. As big as a house and they knew it. Because Jimin’s parents hardly would have drove up to the new home of Hoseok and wouldn’t let Jimin travel alone by train or bus either. It was the same for Hoseok.

But there, on the warm floor, the sweat dripping from both their temples and the sound of footsteps echoing in the gym, anything seemed possible.

That summer as Jimin predicted Hoseok arrived first but Jimin managed to come in second. The most important thing though, was that together they had managed to win first place in the competition.

Hoseok transferred two weeks later, leaving Jimin his shirt as a gift and the memory of the steps on the court, sweat and lots of laughter.

 

Hoseok took a deep breath as he went into the bathroom to take everything they needed. Given the vivacity of his soulmate, Taehyung had the ability to end up in the most varied situations, and the inexhaustible energy of Jungkook, that sometimes exaggerated with physical exercise, Hoseok had long provided his home with the equipment necessary in case of small injuries.

He cast a glance in the mirror as he opened the bathroom cabinet doors. His displeasure was evident. The truth was that Hoseok had wanted to reconnect with Jimin as soon as he realized that the Park Jimin Jungkook and Taehyung were talking about, was his Park Jimin, his old playmate and dance partner. However Hoseok had hesitated and after a careful consideration decided to bite the brake. Jimin had been his best friend but Jungkook was their best friend now, his and Taehyung because everything that was Taehyung’s was also his, and he did not want to complicate things more than they were already.

He said that would be the circumstances to determinate the outcome. If Jungkook decided to have Jimin in his life Hoseok would eventually meet him and in the case Jungkook decided otherwise, well Hoseok had not yet decided what to do, but one thing was sure: he did not want to intrude before the situation had been clarified.

Of course fate had decided otherwise.

"You'll be fine.” without Hoseok noticing Taehyung had slipped in the bathroom and had hugged him from behind, his body warm and comforting as a winter blanket, and had propped his chin on his shoulder. Hoseok, who had stayed still on the sink looking at his reflection, only then relaxed.

"If you say so, then I trust you,” said Hoseok, jokingly. Taehyung clung closer to him and Hoseok let himself being pampered by his soulmate. Taehyung knew. Everything that Hoseok was holding inside, everything he was unable to speak aloud, or that he had whispered the night when he thought Taehyung was asleep.

"What do I say to him?" Was the question that most of all was spinning in his head since he had known who was the companion of Jungkook.

The Hoseok who had met Jimin was another person, with other dreams and ambitions, very different from what he was now. Hoseok did not regret having chosen medicine and even though his was a choice dictated more by an emotional factor than an actual vocation, he had done it thinking about his family and that was what mattered. However, he had loved to dance, he would always love dancing, it had been a part of him. And although he had not regretted letting it go, this did not erase his feelings. Sometimes he woke up in the middle of the night with the feeling of having danced for hours.

We promised to meet on the top. There was a time dancing was really my life.

"It's always you Hoseok, whether you are lawyer, electrician, doctor, it will always be you, cheerful, optimistic, and too kind Hoseok,” Taehyung told him, taking his hand under the covers.

At that moment the sound of the bell echoed throughout the apartment.

"I bet they are here," said Taehyung with a smile, giving him a resounding kiss on the neck before darting towards the door. Hoseok chuckled. Then he decided that it was not like him to panic and that there was no reason to worry about things that had not yet happened.

 


He was tall and probably one of the most attractive people who Jimin had ever seen after Seokjin.

"Hello Jimin, I’m Taehyung,” he said unleashing a toothy grin. And Jimin, for a moment, had the vision of a boy darting through the corridors of the school, chased from the school canteen staff.

“Hello!” Jimin managed to say while with the help of Jungkook headed toward the elevator. "Sorry for bothering you so late Taehyung,” added Jimin once they stepped inside the elevator.

"Nah, do not worry. Jungkook’s friends are also my friends and I was actually dying to meet you ever since Jungkook mentioned you!"

“Taehyung,” groaned Jungkook. Jimin let out a huge smile.

"Well, I'm sorry you had to be hurt so this could happen, but at least it came out something good? You met me!"

Jimin chuckled as Jungkook instead shook his head. Once the elevator doors opened Taehyung led them to the door at the end of the corridor.

The apartment opened onto a hallway where there was a crammed shelf of shoes and frames on the wall with music sheets inside instead of paintings. Taehyung made their way to the living room where Jimin could finally sit and stop burdening the poor Jungkook with his weight, although the latter did not seem bothered at all. He continued to stand by Jimin, sitting down with him on the couch, a comforting warmth on the left side.

"So Taehyung are you the doctor?" Jimin asked, confused by the fact that Taehyung wasn’t attempting to look at his ankle.

"Oh no. My soulmate is. Almost. But you're in good hands Jimin, he is the head of the class.” He said with visible pride. Taehyung looked different from any number two Jimin had met, there was a warm and sweet air about him, such as when you dry under the sun after a swim in the open sea.

"Taehyung, you will make me die of embarrassment,” said a voice behind them.

It took Jimin a moment to realize who he was, it was like trying to focus the blur images in the jumble that were his memories. He hadn’t seen those heart shaped lips in a lot of time and although this Hobi hyung, was taller and had cheekbones and facial lines more prominent, Jimin would recognize anywhere that cat grin Hoseok had when he found something interesting.

"Hello Jimin,” Hoseok said, and it was as if they had been thirteen again, and were still in the hot gym going over the steps of the routine. "You look taller. Not by a lot though.”

Jimin laughed. "Hyung I haven’t seen you in ages and this the first thing you tell me? Then if I can say, your forehead got bigger!"

"I like his forehead, it's y," added Taehyung casually.

"Wait you guys know each other?" Jungkook exclaimed, unable to comprehend what had just happened.

"Yes," Hoseok and Jimin said in unison causing some giggling.

Jimin felt Jungkook tense up for a moment at his side.

"It was a long time ago, so long ago that this hyung of yours still danced. Then I had to move and we lost sight of each other,” Hoseok summed up in a few words. "However, let’s put aside our youthful reminiscences for now and instead let’s check your ankle Jiminnie."

"Oh yes," in the light of new events Jimin had almost forgotten his small injury, but when Hoseok mentioned it, the pain suddenly came back.

Hoseok knelt before him and took off his sock and shoe. He took his foot with a much more delicate touch than teacher Lee. He lightly pressed the area as he watched the ankle carefully with that look on his face that Jimin had seen several times many years ago when he tried to untangle a complicated choreography.

It was all so surreal, being in that room not only with Jungkook but also with his childhood friend. Jimin had million of questions.

"From what I see it's just a mild sprain, but it still has to be bandaged and we should put some ice on in order to cushion the swelling. I'll give you pain medication and I recommend no more than three a day. These are not candies.” Hoseok said with a wink. He took the bands from the kit in his hand and began his work.

"You have to rest, no dancing for a week I’m afraid, and if you still hurt go immediately to visit a doctor. What’s your job by the way?

"I work in an office.”

"It would be better that you took sick days. But if this is not possible, carry a crutch with you. It's nothing serious, but if you start to force your foot too soon, it may get worse. Better safe than sorry.

"Hoseok concluded as he finished bandaging the ankle. Then he took an ice bag, broke it, and put it on top of it. A feeling of relief spread throughout Jimin’s body.

"Hyung so it's all right?" Jungkook asked concerned.

"Yes, don’t worry, your Jimin will be all healed up in a few days."

Jungkook looked embarrassed for a moment.

"Jiminnie do you have someone who can take you home? We can give you a ride if you want no problem "
"Hyung I don’t want to bother you further, my friend should have finished work by now and can come get me. And about the car..."

"I can leave it at your home after I take you to work tomorrow morning," added Jungkook.

Jimin looked back at him, caught off guard.

"Jungkook..."

"Jimin hyung, I was not joking when I said that you should not overlook these types of things. It's not a problem. I still get up early for lessons. Of course, if you already have someone who can help you it’s fine, but it’s not a burden for me to make you this favor. I too can be a civil person,” Jungkook said almost apologetically.

Jimin felt himself blushing from head to toe. He was not used to such care and respect. For years the only ones who were interested in him had been Seokjin and Namjoon or his parents. But the latter lived far away and he didn’t want to take advantage of Seokjin when he also had a job and a lot of other things to do.

‘I want to try and be there for him,’ Jimin said once. And he did not expect that the relationship could reverse, with Jungkook volunteering to be there for him. He had decided that the only thing he and Jungkook shared was friendship, but it was hard not to think of other scenarios, to not desire another outcome, not with Jungkook proving himself as caring and kind person.

Then he remembered the words of Jungkook during their ride in the car and Jimin felt ashamed for his moment of selfishness.

"Thank you very much."

 


Namjoon had come to collect Jimin, exhausted but also worried about his friend. Hoseok and Taehyung had tried to invite both to dinner but they declined. Jungkook imagined Jimin was exhausted and couldn’t wait to rest on his bed.

As soon as the main door closed behind them Jungkook attacked Hoseok with his questions.

"When we were kids, we went to school together and were on the same dance team. We were good friends, but then I had to move, and as I told you we lost sight of each other. I wasn’t sure he was the same Park Jimin, sorry if I didn’t tell you before,” Hoseok replied.

Jungkook was not convinced, and he was sure there was an explanation behind the silence that both had kept on the matter. It was strange because Taehyung was the type to always say everything to the winds and Hoseok was an open person. Jungkook wanted to insist but the thoughtful expression of Hoseok and Taehyung’s warning gaze made him desist.

Jungkook glanced back at his best friend and Taehyung nodded and Jungkook knew that he would explain it all just not at that exact moment.

Jungkook had been to their house enough times to know how to move so after it became clear Hoseok did not want to say more, he went to the kitchen for a quick snack and then headed to their rooms to take pillows and blankets and prepare a bed on the couch.

Taehyung was there waiting for him as Hoseok had gone to take a shower.

"For Hoseokie, it’s strange seeing Jimin again. It makes him think back to the time when he danced. I think it saddens him a little. We didn’t say anything because we didn’t want to impose on you Jimin, especially Hoseok,” said Taehyung while carrying pillows and blankets in the living room as together they adjusted the sofa.

"Hobi hyung shouldn’t think too much. I know I'm not always the nicest but I would have understood. It’s not a problem for me, really,” Jungkook said determined. It was not the first time that Hoseok put aside his feelings for the good of the others, he was too kind for his own good.

"Thanks Kookie. I will tell him you said so. You know, sometimes even he can be stubborn,” Taehyung said shrugging.

"I'll tell him in person if needed. It is not bad to be selfish sometimes. Although this is far from being an act of selfishness, if you know what I mean.” Jungkook said scratching his head thoughtfully.

"I have a soulmate with a heart of gold,” Taehyung commented smiling dreamily.

"That's good since he ended up being paired with you!" joked Jungkook. Taehyung tried to kick him but Jungkook was quicker.

"If you've finished acting like an idiot, I think Hoseok is finished taking a shower. I'll leave your clothes for the night out in the cabinet. Go ahead, you stink!” Taehyung said wrinkling his nose melodramatically. Jungkook did not need to be told twice and slipped inside the bathroom. It had been a busy day and the next day it would be even busier.

Jungkook wondered if he did the right thing by volunteering to help him, but in fact he knew that Kim Seokjin was not there and he could not bring himself to leave Jimin alone.

The mere thought of Jimin alone and in trouble made him feel funny in his tummy. He wondered if that meant something. Then he thought that he had not talked with his parents yet and that was certainly a matter that deserved his concentration. So undressed and went under the running water and tried to not think about it.

 

Hoseok had woken him up before going out for his shift at the hospital and Jungkook had rolled down to the carpet conscious that he wasn’t at home and that he had a task to fulfill. He then dragged himself into the bathroom and then to the kitchen to fill his empty belly. There, he found a cheerful Taehyung intent on making coffee. He had probably woken up to spend some time, even if short, with his soulmate, and Jungkook found himself thinking not for the first time how they were ridiculously attached to each other’s hip.

"I made you an extra dose of coffee and here are some pancakes. Hoseok made them yesterday but they should still be good,” Taehyung said in his shrill voice. Jungkook was definitely not a morning person and so he simply nodded.

After he had breakfast he borrowed some clothes from Taehyung because he had no time to go home, and sent a message to Jimin to warn him that he was leaving. The night before they had exchanged contacts and Jungkook found it strangely ironic and tried not to dwell on the fact that his relationship with Jimin, despite everything, was making progress. Evolving. It scared him to death.

He put aside those thoughts again and decided it was better to get distracted, so once in Jimin’s car he switched on the radio and let the last hit of the Gloss clear his mind,

The ride was short because in truth Jimin lived very near to Taehyung and Hoseok house. Even though Jungkook had recommended him to not move by himself, Jimin had already dropped at the entrance and was waiting for him sitting on the cement that anchored the railing that surrounded the building.

"Hyung, what did I tell you?” Jungkook scolded him as soon as he got out of the car.

"Good morning to you too" Jimin said rolling his eyes. "I didn’t picture you as the protective type,” Jimin teased.

"I told you, I won’t let you abandon me with the brats. And if you go around walking as if nothing had happened and it’s what will happen,” Jungkook added, as he opened the car door for Jimin.

"Okay, anything for you Jungkook,” said Jimin and it was Jungkook’s turn to roll his eyes.

He waited for Jimin to shut the door before turning on the engine and get them in the middle of the traffic of eight in the morning.

"How are you hyung? A little better?"

"Yes. Hobi hyung is not a doctor, he is a magician, he bandaged me for good,” Jimin said, smiling.

"Were you good friends?" Jungkook asked unable to restrain his curiosity. If Hoseok didn’t want to talk he could always ask Jimin.

"Oh yes. They said that we were a crazy duo. I was really sad when he moved away. I cried all afternoon that day,” Jimin confessed. "You know Hoseok hyung because of Taehyung?"

"Yes, Taehyung and I have known each other since we learned to write our name in capital letters. Taehyung then met his soul mate and he immediately introduced hyung to me and here I am, practically adopted,” Jungkook said, shaking his head.

"To me sounds like you are quite enjoying it,” Jimin teased.

"More or less. I almost feel sorry that they are not my real parents,” Jungkook said. It was intended as a joke but the phrase came out strangely eerie.

Jimin just nodded and silence enveloped them again. Jungkook felt Jimin’s eyes watching him and it looked as if was going tell him something important.

"Jungkook I thought a bit about our situation, and I've come up with an idea. I do not know if you'll like it. I'm afraid you’ll get mad."

"What idea Jimin hyung?" Jungkook wanted to stop the car and look Jimin in the eye because he had definitely caught his attention.

"Have you told your parents that we've been seeing each other for a while,” Jimin asked a bit embarrassed. Jungkook twisted in the seat. It was hard to actually define at what point they two of them were, if there was a point they had to reach, and he understood the hesitation of Jimin.

"No. I don’t know exactly whether it is something that might help me or not. They would probably back up a bit but I don’t want to confirm things that are not. I don’t want to give them strange ideas. Maybe we should not talk here though? In a couple of minutes we are going to arrive to your office and this is a topic that would require more time. "

A silence followed the words of Jungkook.

"Jimin hyung?"

"You're right, it’s bad timing. We'll talk about it later. Actually, I am glad that you want to do it.”

"I... confrontations are not my forte and often I appear more aggressive than I planned. I’m sorry if I made it difficult for you to talk to me.” Jungkook didn’t know where it was coming this sentence but he thought about all that Jimin had done for him while Jungkook had behaved as a constipated adolescent instead.

"It's true that sometimes I feel to be in a constant obstacle race with you, but I know that our circumstances are heavy. And I was not lying when I said that I have an idea."

"We arrived hyung."

Jungkook parked the car but before the older could get off, he gently took him by the arm and went on.

"Hyung, you know how I feel and I have not changed my mind even if I may like your company as a friend. I realized that I never asked you how you feel about it and for that I’m sorry, but Jimin hyung if you really want a mate and considering that I do not want it, I really don’t know how we could reconcile this. I don’t know how to solve our problem and I'm afraid. I fear that we will end up submitting, that at the end we’ll eventually get married under the pressure of our families and society, and that we will be very unhappy, and I will not do this to myself. To you. I never imagined I could say this... but I like you as a person and I don’t want to put you through this,” Jungkook admitted.

It was the truth. It was all he had thought in those days. He had not wanted to admit, and had come out at that very moment with Jimin that had to go work and with him being an incoherent mess. Because he had hated Park Jimin and he thought he had had good reasons to do so, but things had changed and Jungkook, in some damn moment between their first date and now, had begun to care for him.

"I know Kookie,” Jimin said and smiled at him in a strange way, perhaps a bit sadly. "I’ll talk to you later. Don’t worry I'll explain what I have in mind,” Jimin said.

Jungkook saw him walk the short distance that separated him from the entry of the building and he wanted to get up and make sure that Jimin was ok and help him walk.

Instead he stayed frozen in his position, hands tightening on the wheel, looking for a way in which neither of them would end up hurt.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note: Let's cry together because Jungkook opened up just to reject Jimin once again. but he started to care and these chatacters will be the end of me even if I'm the one writing! Let me know what you think, your comments make me so happy =D