00.3

A world for two

Chapter Text

00.3




Going back to dance was like coming home after he had been away for so long.

There was that sense of 'finally' as he felt his muscles tense, even though they ached, in the breath that inevitably became erratic. However as tiring, and it had been because Teacher Lee had instructed them with the same alacrity of a despot, Jungkook had been happy. For that hour and a half of lesson, it was as if the light of the room was clearer.

"You are less Jeon Jungkook than usual, Kookie,” Taehyung had commented the next day, with what must have been a joke. Jungkook had simply rolled his eyes in exasperation. This didn't mean he had not tried to resist the call in all possible ways. He had run away like a thief that Tuesday evening, leaving Jimin at the entrance of the building with just a goodbye and no thank yous.

It was destiny, he thought, he always ended up being rude when it came to Park Jimin.


The truth was that dancing had triggered strong emotions in him and, at the same time, had opened a deep wound that was buried under layers of pride and cynicism. He had given up on dancing once and no matter how inevitable it was his destiny of number zero, no resolution, no matter how strong, could erase the fact that he has abandoned the thing that he had loved the most.

In a way, all his determination to live up to his plans was also son of this great loss. It was therefore inevitable for Jungkook to run away that night, hole up in his apartment, and try to deal with the emotional chaos that this experience had unleashed. It was also easy to resent Park Jimin and put all the blame on him. For being the number zero chosen by his parents, for having dragged him on a dance floor after it had been so hard to come off once.


However, when Thursday came, his feet dragged him once again in the direction of the stupid community center for that stupid lesson with Park Jimin. In all fairness , it didn't come as a surprise.

"So, what do you do for a living?

Jungkook rocked on his heels. Kim Seokjin, the blond receptionist and best friend of Jimin, had one of the most perfect faces that Jungkook had ever seen. Even one of the most intimidating stares.

"I study economy. And I work. Part-time , " replied Jungkook in broken sentences, looking at the receptionist in the eye, like a trainer who keeps an eye on a beast.

"Good. And how old are you Jungkook?” To Jungkook, it felt more like an interrogation than a conversation. But having arrived early and being the only person present in the hall, he had no choice but to undergo this torture.

23."

"You're young," commented Seokjin raising an eyebrow, like his age was offensive.

"I am, Jungkook replied through gritted teeth. He didn't like this Kim Seokjin. Jungkook was good at making it clear to people when he wanted nothing to do with them. After all, the one with the talent with people was Taehyung. Jungkook was instead the guy who had no filter, the brilliant but difficult one to approach. He was then equally good at figuring out when, in turn, people wanted nothing to do with him. And this guy didn't have friendly feelings towards him although Jungkook could not understand why.


"You came," said a soft voice. So unquestionably Park Jimin.


Jungkook spun around, a look of relief that made its way on his face, the same expression painted on Jimin although for different reasons. Jungkook merely shrugged. He felt on him the stare of the receptionist who seemed to have found offens e even in the harmless gesture. Just to point out where his preferences laid, the blonde greeted Jimin with a big smile.

Jungkook let the two chit chat and dropped into one of the chairs in the atrium. He blankly looked around the room as one by one the students of the dance course materialized. Jungkook watched them pass before his eyes, smiling as they made their way to the classroom. Jungkook wondered if they were all zero es or if there w ere any number one s , because their smiles were too genuine to be fake. Or maybe it was doing what they loved that gave them the air of being in the world just to be happy. He let out a smile.

Probably, seven years earlier he had been one of them.


"Let's go" Jimin was in front of him waiting. Jungkook stood up and like the last time he le t himself be dragged by the other zero. He glanced at the blond receptionist who was staring at him in turn. He wondered idly which number he was.

Fortunately, the Teacher Lee didn't feel the need to call attention on them (something which Jungkook was grateful because it had been quite embarrassing to hear whispers and giggles the first lesson) and they started the warming up straight away. Jungkook still had sore muscles but he knew that only way to feel better was to continue exercising and so he focused on the lesson.


The routine was complicated, and fitted to an advanced level. When Kim Seokjin talked with the teacher, he must have had in mind the level of Jimin, enough to know it would not be a problem for him. What he wondered was how he knew that it would have been okay even for Jungkook. He glanced in the mirror and saw Jimin stretching his leg muscles. In high school he knew very well who Park Jimin was and at the same time , he was quite sure Jimin had never suspected his existence. Some former students were invited the year following their graduation to attend the most important performances of the dance club.

Jimin had not set foot in school once after.

It was certainly true that the dance club primarily gathered talented dancers, but not everyone danced at a high level as the club's policy had always been to favor the passion rather than the skill.

That s why the only way for Jimin to ascertain the level of Jungkook was watching his old videos.

Jungkook shook his head. This was not the time for asking himself questions.


They went on for an hour before taking a break. The younger kids got together with each other, throwing curious glances towards the two new additions, probably they saw Jungkook and Jimin as two crazy lunatics. Jungkook ignored them. There was a routine motion that he didn't quite get. He took advantage of the break to get the mirror all for himself and try to understand where he was wrong.


A shadow crossed his. To his right, in the mirror, stood Jimin. He didn't say a word but merely resumed from the same point from which the younger had started. Jungkook stopped moving for a moment, but as he watched the movements of Jimin, he understood what the older was doing. He got in position and followed his steps.


Finally he succeeded in making the right movement. Neither of them said anything, but they exchanged an intense look and small smile through the mirror and suddenly he found himself fourteen again, in a gym, watching a young Jimin dancing as if it were the only thing for which he was born. Without even realizing they went through the whole routine together perfectly in sync.

When they stopped , out of breath and with sweat dripping from his temples , they realized that everyone was watching them including the teacher. Jungkook held his head low while Jimin smiled sheepishly.

The lesson went on as if nothing had happened, but something had changed.

Jungkook had despised Jimin in high school and as an adult he had antagonized him for what he represented: a partner imposed by his family that he had never wanted.

But as a dancer, as a dancer, Jungkook had always, always, admired him.

The lesson ended half an hour later, everyone going out quickly while the two of them took their time to put things away in their backpacks, wet towels and half empty water bottles. Jungkook glanced at Jimin, the latter intended on closing his backpack.

He bit his lip. Standing with his hands in his pockets and a little uncertain of what to do, he waited for Jimin to notice him.

"Mm?" Jimin became aware of being watched, and cocked his head to listen. Jungkook shook his head.

It was crazy. It was what he had promised himself not to do. It was also the thing that he wanted to do the most.

Whatever.

"I want to keep dancing." He said after a while .

The smile Jimin gave him could light a city.







Jimin had to stop himself from jumping on the spot, he was 26 years old (almost 27) for god's sake, he had to maintain a minimum of dignity. Every now and then, when it came to Jungkook he felt like someone trying to tame a wild animal. You had to walk on tiptoes and wait for him to make the first move. It was a constant challenge but also a very exciting one.

In that case, however, he wasn't cautious at all and dragged Jungkook back to the front desk to make him sign the form, as if he was afraid he might change his mind. Jungkook seemed annoyed, frowning in disappointment, but Jimin knew it was a scene. He was beginning to understand that often Jungkook acted like the bad guy in a poor attempt to hide his true feelings.


For some reason, this seemed to unleash the protective instincts in him that had no reason to exist since Jungkook was fifteen centimeters taller and, judging by the size, he could easily defend himself.

Seokjin had given the form to Jungkook without commenting, but gave Jimin instead a long thoughtful glance over. Jimin tilted his head slightly, confused. His best friend hadn't talked to him yet but Jimin knew it was only a matter of days. Seokjin was in fact a person incapable of pretense and very direct. Seokjin and Jungkook were very similar in this regard.

Jungkook filled quickly the form while glaring at the poor sheet of paper as if the inanimate object was a threat. Jimin had to stop himself from laughing.

"Done," said the youngest.

"Good! I'm happy , " Jimin said cheerily. Jungkook nodded and seemed about to flee at any moment, but Jimin was not going to end the evening abruptly as the previous lesson.

"Want to eat something? My treat, he offered hopefully.


When Jimin asked, begged, his parents to give him time, it was with a purpose. He knew that under these circumstances, Jungkook would never agree to spend time with him. The pending engagement was too much of an obstacle. Certainly, there was no guarantee that Jungkook would like to be his friend even with the broken engagement and it wasn't in Jimin's power to free them from that commitment.

If he could , he would not hesitate to do so.

The only way to get closer was by putting some distance between them.


"I.." Jungkook seemed to be weighing the proposal, uncertain.

"Hello," a deep voice boomed from the entrance.

It was unexpected because no one went to the center at that hour, but it wasn't hard to guess who it was without looking back. By the radiant smile of Seokjin it could only be Namjoon. Number twos.
 

The mood in the room changed so suddenly that even Jungkook seemed to recognize Namjoon for who he was, a soul mate. The thing seemed to ignite a spark of understanding in his eyes.

"I can't. Maybe some other time?"Jungkook replied. He seemed a bit disappointed but also eager to get out of there as soon as possible. Jimin let him go.
"Ok. See you on Tuesday then , " Jungkook smiled, a smile of courtesy that didn't reach the eyes, so different from the complicity they had exchanged through a mirror. Once Jungkook was gone, Jimin let out a sigh, because after all he understood. He could always understand.


We are only zeros. So used to loneliness, so scared while facing the evidence that our pale lives, that our shy meetings, do not compare with that great love that the others live. The love of number twos.
 

 

Seokjin had dropped on the couch the moment he entered their apartment. He let Namjoon volunteer himself in making some tea (for another month he would definitely not break another cup) and had the television without really looking at it, but letting himself being soothed by the voices and sounds.

He closed his eyes for a moment. He was tired. He was a bit worried.

A few minutes later he felt the warm hand of Namjoon rest on his shoulder and squeeze, in a gesture that was meant to be reassuring. Seokjin smiled, opening his eyes, and taking the cup from the hands of his number one before it ended badly .

"Long day.

Yes ,” replied Seokjin letting Namjoon encircled him with his arm and closed whatever distance between them.


Namjoon had probably a more difficult day, but his number one had never been the type to bring the concerns of his job back to home . Seokjin had often forced from him the concerns that threatened to choke him. But Namjoon was like that, and after all those years together Seokjin understood that the way for Namjoon to get rid of his bad thoughts, was to listen to those of the others.

Anyway , he had made him promise that if a problem got too big, they would talk about it together. Luckily , the promise had never been broken even though just in case , Seokjin was always careful not to miss his moods. Because his soulmate kept his promises but was also careless when it came to himself.

"I'm worried about Jimin ,” added Seokjin.

"About that number zero, Jungkook?" asked Namjoon resting his chin on his head.

"Yeah. He looks like a clone of someone we have already seen.

"Jin remember that people are not carved in the same material.

"I know. But it's also true that Jimin always chooses the same type.

Namjoon was silent for a moment. "Jungkook was that black haired guy I saw at the reception?

"In person .”

"He looks very young.

"He is. He's only 23!

"Now let's not talk as if we are past middle age. Anyway, I would't worry ,” he said, taking the cup of Seokjin and drinking a bit of his tea.

Seokjin turned to look at him. Namjoon was a smart person, not only because he had an IQ above average, but above all because he was a thoughtful person who caught details and could put them together and draw a clear picture.

"Why do you say that?" Seokjin asked curiously, "you saw him for few seconds and you've never talked to the guy.

"You did spent little time with him too. You paint him as a cocky brat. He could be. However , I just saw a frightened boy.

Seokjin was silent for a long moment.

"I'll give him the benefit of doubt. Just because sometimes your guesses are on point and not because you're right.

Namjoon laughed. Seokjin elbowed him in the ribs. "I was serious.

Right . "

Seokjin gave him a withering look, but it was impossible to be angry with Namjoon. He thought of the long road that had led them to that moment, nestled on that couch, having a place to call home, and being happy. Thinking about how their circumstances were at the beginning, even the eternal romantic Seokjin, hadn't been able to imagine a happy ending back then.

He wished with all his heart that Jimin could have one, because there was no one who deserved it more. In his heart he hoped and prayed while Namjoon clutched his hand in his.
If it had happened to Seokjin, it could happen to Jimin. After all, when he had met Namjoon, the only one who was excited was Seokjin.







Jungkook went home, upset and confused.

And so even Kim Seokjin had a soul mate.

Jungkook was not a dramatic person, whatever Taehyung may say, but it was like being hit by a cold shower and the only thing he was able to think was 'what the hell am I doing .’

They weren't friends, weren't soul mates, they were just zeroes dancing to relive buried emotions and who met for the cruel twist of fate. Jungkook knew he looked like a moody teenager, and that there was nothing wrong in accepting to eat dinner with Jimin. But he didn't want to complicate things.

The truth was that he felt like he was thrown in a foreign place without knowing the direction.


“The changes are always scary Taehyung ,” Jungkook had said when his best friend had came to know that Hoseok would be away for a year abroad. He thought he knew the meaning of those words but , they had never seemed more appropriate than in that moment.


Jungkook decided to stop halfway and take something for dinner, he wasn't exactly in the mood to cook anything for himself. He headed toward a fast food joint not far from his home, hoping that an unhealthy amount of food would cheer him up. But then, few steps away, he froze. Standing outside a building unsure of what to do was becoming a habit, for sure.


How many possibilities there were. How many. As much as there were to be born zero es , he thought. Yet at a table of that fast food restaurant, if his eyes didn't deceive him, was sitting Park Jimin, eating a sandwich bigger than his face, a giant glass of cola in front of him.
Jungkook was still unnoticed and therefore he could still pass on and pretend not to have seen him.


Yet as it happened for the dance lesson, his feet made their way alone to the door and he realized that a part of him really wanted it.

He opened the door with his eyes fixed on Park Jimin , but without the hesitation of their first meeting, he sat at the same table.

Hello ,” He said.

 

 

 

 

Author's note: Thank you for reading and commenting <3