00.1

A world for two

00.1


"He did what?”

On second thought, telling Seokjin how his date went with Jungkook hadn't been his brightest idea considering the circumstances. Especially, since they were in the middle of a store and there was no Namjoon to cool down the waters. It would have also been smarter to wait for the bottomless stomach of his best friend to be dutifully filled with ice cream and being then more prone to bad news.

But Jimin has always had bad timing and, after all, the truth would not have been different even if sugarcoated. Jimin tried to look focused and interested as he checked a shelf full of tennis shoes.

For the record, he hated the sneakers with flat soles.

"He said what he said and went away.”

He heard a sigh coming out of Seokjin and Jimin could picture his perfect facial features wrinkled in dismay.

"Well this ‘Jeon Jungkook’ is an idiot, blind, and if I can say also: a rude ."

Jimin could not help but chuckle.

"He's actually smart and talented. I won't complain about the rude part though."

"I highly doubt he is smart. Or he would have stayed seated on that damn chair,” Seokjin said almost growling.

Jimin smiled. It was nice to know he could count on friends who were always by his side, ready to insult whoever dared to hurt him. In this case, however, Jimin didn't feel hurt. Of course he had been angry with his parents for having suggested someone without first ensuring that this someone was willing; with Jeon Jungkook for saying what he said. With himself for not having reacted quickly. However, despite everything, Jimin could understand him. Even too well. They were zeroes. Only a number zero could understand another number zero.

The sadness that they carry. The fight for survival.

Seokjin put the shoes on the shelf back and turned to look Jimin. Jimin recognized that look.

"You want to see him again," he said narrowing his eyes. It was not a question. As always, Seokjin had guessed well. He was gifted of that instinct that only mothers were supposed to have but that for some insane reason Seokjin ended up having too.

"More or less?" hesitated Jimin. He was pretty sure Seokjin was holding himself back from saying something too harsh.

"I don't like the shoes here. Shall we go?" He suddenly said, and it was so abrupt that Jimin had to follow him out of the store, eager to explain himself. Seokjin had to understand.

“Hyung," Jimin almost collided with his wide back.

"What about if we eat something? You know I can be reasonable only with a full stomach," Seokjin said turning towards Jimin a little apologetic.

"Of course, I'm a little hungry too,” Seokjin's face lit up like it always did in front of good food or Namjoon.

It was not the first time Jimin thought that for being 29 years old, Seokjin was tremendously innocent.

After Seokjin had eaten a sandwich and a big bowl of ice cream, Jimin was sure it was the right moment to continue their conversation.

“Hyung, you remember how we were at 23?"

"It feels like a century has passed,” Seokjin replied, wiping the corners of his mouth.

"You talk as if you are 60, but it's been barely, what, six years?" Jimin .

"Please keep twisting the knife in my wounds!" Jimin chuckled.

"I remember anyway,” Seokjin said, shaking his head.

"And do you remember how I was at 23?"

"I remember that too,” said Seokjin and a flash of insight made its way in his eyes. "But Jimin. He's not you. You would have never left like that."

"Do you think so?” Seokjin nodded.

"I'm not so sure though. I know, three years don't seem so much for a person to change. But I remember how I was at 23.” Lonely, confused, desperate, angry with the world, adrift in the sea of nothingness.

“Hyung, The worst for us isn't just having no mate. The worst is feeling lonely."

"Jimin. You cannot save everyone. And many don't want to be saved by..."

Not by me.

"By me. They don't want to be saved by me. I get it.” They were harsh words. But they were true nonetheless.

"By someone, they don't want to be saved by someone. There's nothing wrong with you. Except maybe a masochistic tendency to love the things that don't make you good, I must tell that,” Seokjin concluded with the bluntness of a person who cares.

"Yes I know. But you should have seen him, Jin hyung, he's so young. So…”

Jimin had no words to describe what he felt. After all, there was little rationality in his persistence apart from his obsession to fix things at any cost. But Jungkook was so… he is so me. All that had been Jimin, all that Jimin was not.

He had tried to ignore Jeon Jungkook. He had tried to call his parents, to cancel everything and get out of it, because Jimin had hurt for too long to want to get hurt again. However, his parents hadn't answered and in the time it took them to call him back, Jimin had plenty to look for the yearbook of his senior year of high school. It had taken exactly 10 seconds to find Jeon Jungkook, the fifteen year old Jungkook, with a round baby face and a silly fringe that covered half of his forehead. It had taken even less to convince himself to look for online videos of his performances. He knew the dance club had a channel where they published the annual performances of the sports festival and they rarely cancelled the old ones.

Jimin had loved to dance with every fiber of his body. He had started at ten and had stopped in the spring of his eighteens. Of all the many sacrifices he had made, dancing was the saddest and the most difficult thing to let go.

He hadn't been able to watch someone dance since.

Yet after all those years of absence, out of all the videos in the world, he had decided to watch the dance performances of Jeon Jungkook.

Jimin still knew how to recognize talent when he saw it, and Jungkook was talented. Even better, he was a hard worker. In the eyes of the average audience it might have not seemed like a difficult movement, after all, the goal was exactly that: to make look easy, effortless, which it was not.

But that fluidity, the elegance, the feeling of steps caressing the court, they were all things that you were able to obtain only after 10,000 hours of training. When the movement was repeated so many times that it became a part of you.

Ah, Jimin still remembered the feeling of heavy limbs and the burning of calves on fire due to the excessive work. Everything, for 3 minutes of fluid perfection.

"I saw him dancing hyung. Unfortunately, he doesn't dance anymore. But I watched his old videos. You know, he was in my high school dance club. And if you watched someone dancing like he did, you would be unable to stay indifferent. There so much more under his facade. I can feel it."

"You've seen him dance?" Seokjin tilted his head to the side because that was the most curious and even most dangerous thing of all that Jimin had told him. Jimin, who used to exit a shop at the speed of light every time they played one of the songs of which he had devised a routine.

Seokjin sighed internally. This Jeon Jungkook had all the credentials to be a second Min Yoongi and it scared him to death. However he hadn't seen Jimin so determined about a person in years.
He wasn't sure it was a good sign.

"I give up. I just hope he proves himself smarter than the first time. That aside. How will you meet someone who has so openly declared to not want to see you ever again?"

"I have a plan.”

Obviously, Seokjin thought.

 


Jungkook had refused to pick up his parents' calls and had deleted all the messages that his mother had sent him on the phone. He was sure to have enraged his father but honestly, he couldn't care less. They were indebted to him for the next ten years.

For days, Jungkook had been too angry to say what had happened to Taehyung and Hoseok. His best friend didn't get upset in the least and took the opportunity to spill the beans to his number one. The thing was that there was really nothing to spill.

Park Jimin had been a senior in his same high school and when Jungkook had had the courage to join the dance club, Jimin had stopped attending. They had nothing in common then and didn't have it now. And the only thing they had ever shared was the love for dancing, but even that part had been buried.

Jimin had graduated and had continued with his life and Jungkook had done so too. He hadn't thought about Jimin the dancer, and the shady past he left behind, for a long time.

That was until they met again.

Park Jimin didn't change much. He didn't have a round face anymore, but he was still short, his hair was still black, and his eyes were still perfectly almond-shaped. Jungkook instead, had changed a lot. In a sense, Jungkook's beliefs, everything that he was now, had been to a certain extent; the consequence of having met Park Jimin.

At fifteen, Jungkook had greatly admired him, and again at fifteen he decided that the number zero Park Jimin represented everything that Jungkook, as a number zero himself, refused to be.

Taehyung had reprimanded him a few days later when Jungkook had calmed down enough to tell him the story.

”You could have been more polite."

Jungkook, stubbornly, didn't want to agree with him. But at the distance of days, now that his anger had dissipated, he admitted that he was probably a little too harsh. Rude even.

That didn't change anything about his future plans but he admitted that a part of himself felt a bit ashamed. Even Hoseok had looked at him with something dangerously close to disappointment.
“Jungkook, what's the matter with you? You are throwing stones, you act mean with people. Park Jimin well, he did a lot of stupid things, but he was 18. And I know that I'm not a number zero and I cannot understand the shame, the disgrace he brought to the category, and blah blah blah, but since when do you judge based on the number? It was understandable when you were 15, but now you are 23!”

The words of Taehyung were harsh, but Taehyung had always been straight forward and Jungkook after all had to admit he was right. However, his timing had been completely wrong. Because even if Jungkook had cooled down, he was not ready to accept a lecture. Thus, giving further proof of deep maturity, Jungkook had stormed out of his own apartment, leaving his best friend standing there.

He knew it was all wrong. Jungkook felt attacked from multiple angles.

Was I wrong? Jungkook asked himself. However, even though Jungkook had acted poorly, it didn't change the fact that he didn't want a mate. And Taehyung, at least, had to understand it once and for all.

‘Kookie, Taehyung had been sulking for two days. He was wrong too, I know. But could the both of you at least talk about it?’

Hoseok had sent this message early in the morning. Despite having a work shift at an ungodly hour (the hard life of a training doctor), the first thing he thought was to fix the mess of his number one and his best friend number zero. Hoseok was such a sweetheart.

Jungkook sighed.

Even with Taehyung’s talent to get under his skin, their fight seemed so nonsensical now.

‘Yes, I'll call him later,’ He typed back.

Jungkook then slipped away from the blankets, took a long shower and got ready for his daily routine: breakfast, class, gym, and ride on his bike depending on his mood. Statistics was not the most exciting topic on the planet but it was challenging enough to distract the mind of Jungkook for a good two hours. When the lessons finally finished, it was past noon and Jungkook had a sincere appetite. He tried to keep his usual sugary and fake smile as he greeted his fellow students and headed towards the nearest source of food. Jungkook had no friends but only acquaintances and friendly people which whom he talked occasionally to exchange notes and keep up appearances. That was fine because he didn't want friends. The zeros, difficult to chase, were boring and when they discovered to be in front of another zero, they could spend hours complaining about life. Jungkook, who wanted everything from life, hated them. The number twos, on the other hand, were just as unbearable. As they liked to boast about the perfection of their lives and Jungkook didn't enjoy pretending any longer than necessary.

Fortunately, Taehyung had passed to greet him enough times for many to think he was his number one. Jungkook felt a little sorry for Hoseok (hey he wasn't heartless). But the science department was on the other side of town so no one could go and tell Hoseok his soulmate was exchanged for someone else’s number one. Besides, Taehyung was the perfect justification for Jungkook’s habit to isolate himself. He could easily be one of those number twos too busy with their soulmate to see or understand anything else.

Jungkook was pondering whether to use that hour of time to call Taehyung or put off till later, when a shadow covered him.

He lift his eyes from the cell phone.

Park Jimin was dressed in a suit and tie and was tapping his foot with air of having waited exactly for him. He was wearing glasses, like an employee who spent many hours in front of a laptop, which gave him the vibe of an adult and Jungkook felt intimidated in spite of himself.

"What are you doing here?" he asked without thinking.

"And so we have confirmed that you have no manners. Hello Jungkook.”

Jungkook, caught off guard, greeted him in strangled tone. Perfect. He really sounded rude. Again.

Jimin looked around, probably checking to be out of earshot, he adjusted his glasses and after taking a deep breath he said.

"Jeon Jungkook. I didn't know you in high school. And I'm sure you didn't know me as well. Not the person I really was, not the dreams I really had. I don't care about what I have done or said, or what you may think I have said or done to hurt your little pride of number zero. You have no right to judge me! That being said, I'm sure the problem goes deeper, buried in the past and in you, and believe me, I can understand. But I refuse to be your scapegoat. Got it?” Jimin paused for breath.

Jungkook gave him a long look, mouth hung open, unable to say anything. Jimin had just knocked him out.

"Say something,” Jimin asked after what seemed an eternity, shrugging nervously. It was his sudden nervousness that stirred something in Jungkook.

“Oh. Ok. Honestly, I didn't imagine to see you again. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I am happy because at least now I can apologize. I let myself get carried away, I admit, and for that I'm sorry. But it does not change what I have told you: I don't want a mate,” Jungkook said this time trying to sound polite, despite his words.

"Yes I know. I called my parents and your parents. They'll leave you in peace for the time being,” Jimin said.

"Seriously?" Of all the things that Jimin had said, this was the most shocking. It wasn't like Jungkook was suddenly free to live his life the way he wanted. But at least he had gained time. Time to plead his case, time to think of a plan. And with his supposed mate taking a step back it was difficult for Jungkook's parents to force him in a sudden engagement. Jungkook was relieved.

"I hope you didn't think I would be happy to be engaged on the spot with a so reluctant number zero. I'm desperate but not out of my mind,” Jimin said, crossing his arms, as if to emphasize the concept.

"Thank you. Really,” Jungkook said, and Jimin could see a light in the eyes of Jungkook, the same he had in all his dancing videos. The look of a person alive.

"So are we good?" Jungkook asked timidly after a while.

"Yes. Actually, no? I came for putting you in line but also for…reasons.” Jungkook looked at him curiously.

"Maybe we can move from here?" Jimin asked. Jungkook nodded.

Together they went down the stairs and out in the university courtyard. Jimin clearly felt out of place, an employee among the students. Jungkook thought he still looked younger than many of the people around them.
"How'd you find me hyung?" Jungkook asked casually.

"You told me your major, and you have spoken of your lessons. It wasn't hard to find your schedule.”

"This is vaguely creepy, hyung,” Jungkook said in an attempt of humor.

"Yes, maybe. But as I said, I had to come and put you in line and the rest."

"It seems right. I would have done the same,”Jungkook granted.

"But if it is true that we are no longer forced to get engaged right away, why are you still here?"

"I didn't lie when I said I wanted us to be friends. It 's so rare to find a zero to get along with."

"Do you think we are number zeros that get along?" Jungkook tried to joke, recalling the failure of their first meeting.

"Yes, our meeting could have been better. Of course it's your fault. I'm a very nice person. You're the one in the caught up in post teenage hormones.”

Jungkook glared at him.

“Hyung, you're lucky that I'm in debt to you for my bad manners."

"Yes, indeed. You are in debt. So even if you don't want to be a friend of an old man like me,”
Jungkook looked at him as if to say, ‘but you look barely twenty,’ "You still owe me a favor.”

Jimin seemed determined under the sunlight and Jungkook had to blink. It felt all so surreal and if anyone had told him that at that point in life he would have met Park Jimin again, he would have not believed it.

"I need a partner for the dance classes,” Jimin said in one breath.

Of all the things he could have asked, that was the last Jungkook had expected. Maybe a treat for coffee. Money. One arm while he was at it. But dancing?

"No." said Jungkook stomping his foot.

"See you are at it again!!" Jimin exclaimed comically.

Jungkook really wanted to feel outraged because dance was reported as taboo on his personal dictionary.

He laughed instead.

Jimin smiled.