00.2

A world for two

00.2

 

Jungkook found himself across the street, behind a post, watching a stupid signboard for at least fifteen minutes.

The scene was familiar and Jungkook wasn't sure he liked it. He cast a glance at the entrance under the signboard, then he read again the paper in his hand, hopelessly wrinkled by his nervousness. He knew the text by heart so the re-read was really unnecessary. He had read it before going to sleep, early in the morning during breakfast, and he had brought it with him to college.
Then, a person dressed in a light jacket and slacks, entered the building and the sense of deja vu became stronger. He had already found himself looking at Park Jimin from the other side of the street.

Jeon Jungkook, go now or go home.

He sighed.
The fact of being there, and being fully dressed, was itself an answer.
He crumpled the flyer then, put it in his pocket. And after looking around and having pulled the hoodie over his head, he crossed the street and went in the same building.
It's just for dancing. Dancing, he told himself while passing the entrance. Behind the transparent doors that opened to his passage, there was a small reception desk behind which there was a ridiculously handsome receptionist who was chatting with Jimin.
They both turned to look at him. Jungkook hesitated a moment.
Jimin smiled, encouraging, and Jungkook couldn't help but sigh again. It was too late. He had decided his fate the moment he entered the stupid room of that stupid community center where they did dance lessons.
He was going to be the dance partner of Park Jimin.


Jimin couldn't stay for lunch. Something like a really short lunch break and ‘My office is across town.’ He had just nodded as Jimin left a flyer in his hand, saying good-bye with an encouraging ‘think about it!’

Jungkook stared at the exit for a while before lowering his gaze and reading the piece of paper.

It was a simple flier with schedules and course names of what looked like a community center.
Jimin had highlighted in yellow the hip hop classes scheduled from 7:30 pm to 9 pm, probably thinking that the evening hours would be convenient to both. The course was held twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, it didn't seem particularly challenging to Jungkook, considering that a long time ago he used to dance every day… for hours.

Dance.

No Jungkook could not do it again.
Yet, sometimes he could still feel the sensation of tiredness, the transitions, the steps, the music. Sometimes he woke up in the middle of the night after dreaming of quick steps on the parquet and impossible choreography.
Jungkook shook his head. He couldn't think about it, he needed a distraction and someone to tag along: he needed the fool of his best friend Kim Taehyung.
The number two answered on the third ring, and without too much fuss (he had probably stopped sulking), he agreed to meet with Jungkook in the canteen. Jungkook found him out there, ten minutes later, wearing ridiculous pink sunglasses and a denim jacket, hands in his pockets while rocking back on his heels on the edge of the pavement as if he was playing with the force of gravity .
"Taehyung!" Jungkook called. And his best friend, surprised, lost his footing, fell heavily on the asphalt, and he almost splattered his nose. Jungkook laughed and Taehyung got up in pain, taking off some dust from his pants and taking up the battered sunglasses fallen to the ground.
"I could have died!" He exclaimed in disdain. Jungkook laughed harder. Taehyung joined his laughter shortly after. Ten seconds. It didn't take even ten seconds to make peace.
After Taehyung had recollected himself and Jungkook managed to recover from the excesses of giggles, they finally managed to enter the canteen.
"So what did you do these past days, apart from missing me?" Taehyung asked, teasing him as he served himself all the dishes available on the menu. Jungkook followed suit with the same amount of food and grabbed also a dessert.
"Look, you were the one moping around the house.”
"Hoseok. Why I am surprised that you have spoken with Hoseok. I'll have to tell him two words!” threatened Taehyung but they both knew he would not say anything, at most he would give him an extra dose of hugs. Hoseok had that effect on people, especially on his soulmate who adored every single hair on his head.
"Hoseok is the smartest one of us three, I'm afraid, and I'm not saying this just because he is studying medicine,” Jungkook sighed as they sat on a isolated table.
"You wouldn't say that if you ever saw him dancing in front of the television over girl groups songs at his age!" Taehyung shook his head melodramatically
"How glad I am that I won't have to witness such performances every day of my life. But, I understand that even Hobi hyung is not perfect.”
"I remind you that you're talking about my soul mate!”
"Exactly," Jungkook said, smiling. All his fake smiles could not be compared to the genuine one that stemmed from the pleasure of teasing his best friend.
Taehyung glared at him, then decided to take revenge by opening his mouth full of food.
"No, not again!" It was Taehyung’s turn to laugh.
It was so easy with Taehyung.
Without even trying, without the slightest effort they were like two instruments that harmonize together on a beautiful piece.
“Anyway, you owe me a few updates,” Taehyung accused him with a fork after he finally swallowed.
Jungkook glared at him.
"I have nothing to update you.”
"Liar. I've known you since I learned how to count to 100 Jeon Jungkook. I know when something happens.”
"But if I have to always tell you everything myself-”
"So there is something to say!" Taehyung said triumphantly, waving his fork in the air.
Jungkook snorted.
"I bet you've met with Park Jimin,” insisted the number two.
Jungkook tried not to get annoyed by the enthusiastic tone of his best friend. "I met Park Jimin again, but only because he came to ambush me at my class. “
Taehyung eyes shined with malice.
"Stop it. Taehyung,” he said, suddenly serious. "When I say I don't want a mate I don't say it just to cover my sad and pathetic fate of number zero. I actually mean it. And you have to understand it once and for all." His fork collided on the plate making a screeching sound.
"I know,” Taehyung said looking him straight in the eye.
"You know?”
"Yes I know. But I like to hope you'll change your mind eventually,” Taehyung added, smiling.
Jungkook had to look away. It was easy to think that Taehyung just acted out of selfishness rather than admit that he wished only the best for Jungkook. Years had passed and it was still difficult for Jungkook to refrain himself from running away in front of so much affection. Love. Not the love of soul mates and because of that, in the eyes of the number zero Jungkook, even more valuable. Taehyung was like that, a creature that without trying was able to shake you right in the gut.
"It won't happen in the near future. I'm sorry. In any case, you'll be glad to know that I apologized. And he was so happy that he asked for a favor in return.”
"Park Jimin that tries to tame Jeon Jungkook?" Taehyung commented going back to his silly tone.
"Keep joking but that's what happened. Actually, I have to give him more credit. He is a tough guy.”
Jungkook thought back to the Park Jimin he remembered, the one in high school, the one hated by half of the students. Perhaps in the smile that Jimin had never lost, there was a hidden strength that only now Jungkook seemed to realize. He had thought he was a naive, spineless, because it was the only reason that made sense. Nobody could keep smiling under those circumstances. Perhaps Park Jimin, like Jungkook, had refused to let anybody try and steal pieces of him and he faced the blows of life with a smile on his lips.

"What favor did he ask of you? I guess he didn't ask you to marry him, or you would be angrier than a hedgehog.”
"Now you are making me look like someone who has anger issues, Taehyung.”
"A little?" Jungkook was beginning to regret having talked about the episode with Park Jimin.
"I was joking! Come on! Just tell me,” Taehyung urged him, afraid Jungkook would stop talking. Luckily, for Taehyung the favor asked was about something too important for Jungkook to possibly keep it for himself.
"He wants me to be his dance partner.”
"He is a genius,” Taehyung exclaimed. "He really knows how to get you.”
"It's not what you think.” He didn't know why but Jungkook suddenly felt the need to defend him. "Thanks to him I gained time from this engagement thing."

Taehyung looked at him puzzled, "really? Your parents are giving up like that?”
"I finally read the emails from my mother. Apparently, once they realized I would not answer the phone they resolved in sending me emails. I think they were on the verge of sending me a pigeon.”
"Wow, your family is really one of a kind. What were the emails about anyway,”Taehyung asked curious.
"They asked me what I had done to Park Jimin,” Jungkook said, and he had to refrain from snorting. Taehyung smiled sympathetically and then added.
"But despite everything, he has come to search for you and to ask you to be his dance partner. Why?”
"I don't know. And this scares me bit,” Jungkook said as he slipped a big chocolate bite of chocolate pudding into his mouth.
"Maybe he really wants just be your friend.”
"Even if it were, it's a bit difficult given our circumstances. You know, combined engagement and the rest." Jungkook said waving a hand.
"Mmm. But Jungkook, I know. And you know that.”
Jungkook stopped eating.

There was one thing he used to love the most and still loved. One thing for which he would have given his right arm just to have it back but he had never had the courage to do so. By himself.

Jungkook knew, as Taehyung knew, that he had always, always, wanted to get back on the dance floor.


Jimin didn't understand how he had come up with such an idea. Seokjin had mentioned it to him the year before, in the hope of convincing Jimin to go back to dance.
The community center that kept the dance classes was the same for which his best friend did voluntary service. His work as a freelance photographer was flexible enough to give him time to dedicate to several activities. Moreover since Namjoon had started to have success as a composer, Seokjin didn't need to accept all jobs available anymore and could also afford to select the projects he wanted to work on.

Jimin who was stuck in a boring office job, envied their lifestyle so much and at the same time, he was proud of them.

He remembered when Namjoon worked part time at a gas pump while composing songs at night, while Seokjin juggled between thousands of jobs as a waiter, occasional model and photographer. It was when Seokjin's family kicked him out, forcing the latter to abandon his studies and stick up for himself, in everything. Of course, there were many people forced to do the same but Seokjin came from a golden world and was not prepared to face the harsh reality.
Even Jimin would not be. However Seokjin and Namjoon, together, had managed to gain a life for themselves, a good life, one that many numbers two could never dream of.

Returning to his situation, Jimin realized that watching Jungkook dancing, had stirred something in him, something that he thought he had buried under years of resignation, but that somehow had survived, dormant and waiting for the moment to return. Jimin had never wanted to shut himself in the zero associations, although he himself was a zero, he didn't feel at ease to live with only zeroes and do things available for them. It wasn't for him. Maybe it was a desperate attempt to deny the reality but those community center saddened him, they felt like a parody of a club of lonely souls.
However if he wanted to go back dancing, it was the only place that would allow him to begin again. Jungkook too, if he wanted it. Jimin hoped so.
After explaining his idea to Seokjin, his friend had taken the task to give all possible and imaginable information about courses, complete with explanatory leaflets and pamphlets.
"It had to be this Jeon Jungkook the one to make you want to go back dancing?" Seokjin said exasperated but he knew that part of his friend was thrilled for Jimin.
So Jimin took advantage of the lunch break and went to Jungkook's college. He had found a schedule of his classes easily. Even if it made him uncomfortable, it was better than asking for his phone number from his parents, after having told them that he wanted a break.
Jeon Jungkook was handsome as he remembered, and he had this radiant aura that no words that came out of his mouth, as poisonous as they were, could erase. It was probably the boy's personal gift.
Jimin was happy to find him calm and collected. And so this is also Jeon jungkook, he told himself.
“No," He said.
"My best friend is a volunteer at this community center. Don't make that face, I know what you think, even I don't like the zero associations. But I trust Seokjin and it's the only facility in the center where they give hip hop dance classes.” For us zero numbers at least, had restrained from adding Jimin. But judging by the look of Jungkook, the information had been sadly implied.
"Promise me you'll think about it. Please, at least the first time I don't want to go alone. Then I assure you that you can stop coming if you'd like. "

In a sense, it was a low blow.

If Jungkook had loved to dance as much as Jimin, it would have been impossible for him to say no, the temptation too strong. And that opened a wide margin of speculation about why Jimin had worked so hard for Jungkook, putting on the table the ace from his sleeves.
"You can not save them all," Seokjin had said. But Jungkook didn't need to be saved. Maybe it's me. That also was part of the truth. Jimin shook his head. The more he thought, the more it appeared confusing.
That day he decided to wear the most comfortable clothes he had, the one he wore on the lazy weekend or used for jogging, baggy pants and large-shirt.
The community center was a couple of blocks from his house, and so he decided to go by foot, besides fresh air was welcomed. Once he arrived he didn't hesitate in the doorway and immediately entered the building. Seokjin was already at the reception, greeting him with one of his disarming smiles.
"Jimin. How are you? Your golden boy?”
"Golden Boy? Really?”
"I'm joking, hyung is joking!" Jimin glared but he was distracted by the noise of glass doors that open automatically. He turned. Jungkook was there, hoodie pulled down on his head and the air of someone who doesn't know where to go. Jimin smiled a him and Jungkook noticing him stepped closer.
The older vaguely registered the fact that Seokjin was scanning with his eyes the poor boy. The number two at times acted as a protective parent: it was embarrassing.
"Hello," Jimin said.
“Hello," murmured Jungkook.
"I'm glad you came. Jungkook, this is my best friend, Kim Seokjin.”
"Nice to meet you,” said Seokjin politely. He even smiled. Jungkook replied 'nice to meet you too' in return and they pondered each other for a few seconds. Then Seokjin flashed such a look at Jimin, the latter almost ended up blushing.
"Jungkook let's go! The classes are about to begin. We can register later,” Jimin said in a panic.
"One lesson. Jimin You promised one lesson!"Jungkook said harsh but Jimin recognized a note of panic. He was feeling nervous about dancing too.
Seokjin instead looked at him sideways, suspiciously.
"All right. We will decide later. Now let's go.”And he dragged Jungkook down the hall.
Jungkook said nothing and let himself be led by Jimin who wanted to put as much distance as possible from his best friend. Because Jimin could imagine what Seokjin thought he had seen. Physically, Jungkook was different from all the people Jimin had dated. But that look. The slightly threatening air and the reluctance.
Seokjin believed he had revised the copy of someone who was once important for Jimin. He was wrong, though. Jungkook was nothing like Min Yoongi. Yoongi had done nothing but lie to himself and in the process had lied to Jimin. Jungkook instead, despite his not very nice manners, had never lied to him. He had always been honest in his intentions. And that was, what made him so damn fascinating. It wasn't only his looks, even if objectively Jimin admitted to find him attractive. It was the flame that burned under the skin, that desire of his to always be himself at all costs. Someone would call it desperation, Jimin saw it for what it was.

A stubborn and irrepressible desire to live.

Jimin continued to drag him by the sleeve to the classroom door down the hall. Only then, they stopped and the older let him go, as if to allow him a last chance to go back. But Jungkook remained. With a sigh Jimin opened the door followed by the younger.
They looked around for a moment dazzled by the neon lights. Then he heard the sound of Jungkook huffing.
Jimin wanted to laugh.
"Please come in, come! Jinnie has told me about you!” The professor exclaimed attracting the general attention on them. Jimin wanted the earth to swallow him. Jeon Jungkook 23 and Park Jimin 26 (almost 27) were currently in a class in which, to be generous, the average age was seventeen.
"I'm Lee Seunghyun and this is my class," the kids and the teacher seemed to expect a reply and
Jimin realized that they were expecting them to introduce themselves.
"Park Jimin.” Seunghyun smiled, then his eyes moved on the younger.
"Jeon Jungkook,” he said with a deadly tone.
"Great! Please go stand in the back! I'm about to start.” Jimin took off his jacket and so did Jungkook and if looks could kill Jimin would have fallen.

Jimin sighed. It was going to be a long lesson.