I'm Sorry

Our Golden Maknae

I'm sorry. Jungkook hates those words. People say them carelessly all the time without being sincere. These words don't have the power to fix anything and certainly will not make him feel better. The worse thing about those two wretched words is that they may come from a doctor's mouth. The sorry came with a different connotation when it comes to Jungkook. Though no one ever said it, it was implied that it meant I'm sorry you are dying. This time the words "I'm sorry" came after the words "your treatment isn't working." Jungkook didn't want to accept the truth and his hyungs didn't want to either. The seven boys were a mess right now. A crying mess on the floor of the doctor's office. Jungkook wants to put on a brave face in front of his hyungs, but it was impossible. He didn't want his hyungs to cry, to feel pain because of him. He didn't want them to suffer while watching him die slowly during the last three months of his life...But he also knows that he doesn't want to die without them by his side. He wants to be happy till his last days, spending the last three months with his hyungs and cherishing the time left. Jungkook didn't have enough time with them. It was too soon. Three months is not enough and will never be enough. 

Jungkook was supposed to stay in the hospital for his remaining time, but he didn't want to stuck in a white room for three months. After some convincing and aegyo, the mankae got what he wanted. Jungkook smiled. 

"Let's go home, shall we?" Jin asked with his face still puffy and red from crying. Jungkook nodded innocently like the child he was. Jin grabbed his hand and held onto it tightly while they walked out of the hospital. Jungkook slept immediately after he got into the car, feeling the effect of that conversation taking a toll on his body. Jin looked at him sleeping with sad eyes. How was he gonna survive without Jungkook by his side? No one knew the answer to that question. Taehyung carried Jungkook on his back when they arrived at their dorm. He set the thin boy on his bed and pulled the blue blanket up to his chin. He just sat like that for a while, holding the younger one's hand, feeling his pulse, wanting to confirm every second of the day that Jungkook is still alive beside him. 

In the next two months, the boys did everything that Jungkook wanted to do. Jungkook got weaker by the day, sometimes not even having the energy to stand up. All he could do was to stay confined to his bed until he got enough energy to actually stand. Those days were happening more and more. Jin is worried that the time was coming. They all were. The six boys didn't get even one night of deep sleep, they were constantly checking up on Jungkook scared that he will just leave them one day in the middle of the night without a sound. The boys are now all sleeping in Jungkook's room with some sprawled on the couch and some on the floor. They wanted to be with their Kookie for every second of his remaining life.

Jungkook woke up one day with a bad feeling in his gut. Today. It's coming today. The day where darkness will envelope him forever. The day where he will leave his six brothers. He felt a tear slip out of his eyes. Taehyung woke up and immediately went next to Jungkook. 

"What's wrong?" Taehyung softly asked. He cupped Kookie's pale cheeks in his hands and brushed the tears away. 

"It's nothing hyung." Jungkook gently pulled Taehyung's hands off his face before holding onto them tightly. Taehyung wanted to cry at the sight of his donsaeng, he was so skinny and pale that he looked like he can just die any moment. He knew that today was one of the days where Kookie will not have the energy to go anywhere even though Jungkook will probably not admit it. Taehyung opened the TV for Jungkook and the Bts Prologue came on. The sound woke the rest of the members up and they enjoyed the video with them. The smiled at themselved and the happiness that was radiating from the whole thing. 

"Hyung, I want to go there." Jungkook said after the video ended. 

"Where?" Jimin asked.

"The abandoned pool, where we filmed the prologue."

"Kookie-ah. I don't think you are in good condition today." Jin softly replied, looking at the maknae's weak state.

"Please, hyung, I have to." Jungkook pleaded with desperation. It was where he wanted to leave this world. A place where so many happy memories of him and his six wonderful friends were made.

"Okay, let's go." Jin hyung accepted his donsaeng's wish. Yoongi rose from his seat on the couch and promptly picked up Kookie bridal style before placing him on their car.

"No hyung, I want to ride on the truck." Kookie said.

"But it's gonna be cold back there." Yoongi retaliated, wishing that Kookie would take his health into consideration. But seeing the little pout on his cute face, Suga sighed and then carried Kookie onto the back of the truck. Jin frowned upon the sight but knew that he couldn't change the stubborn one's mind. Coming back with a blanket, Jin jumped onto the back of the truck and wrapped the blanket around Kookie. Everyone except for Namjoon who is driving sat in the back of the truck. The wind made their hair go crazy and made them shiver, but nonetheless it didn't stop them from putting their hands in the hair and screaming with excitement. Arriving at the place, Hoseok carried Jungkook onto the sofa that was there ever since the prologue and the I Need U music video. The other carried down food and other supplies. The matress that was also there during the prologue was pulled over next to the sofa. Jin lit up the fire in the basket and then went to set up the things for the barbeque. Jungkook smiled when Jimin pulled out a camera and started taping everyone. 

"Ah, Jungkook-shi. What are we doing here on this fine day?" Jungkook giggled at the sudden interview.

"We are visiting the pool that we went to in the prologue, Jiminie." 

"Yah, it's Jimin hyung to you." Jungkook stuck out his tougue at the older one. Jimin laughed at the sight and then sat down beside the maknae.

"Nae, we are visiting the pool due to a certain someone's wish, cough cough Kookie, since we really enjoyed filming here." Jimin said to the camera and ruffled Jungkook's hair before leaving to film Taehyung and Hoseok fooling around. Jungkook smiled at the sight. He loved to see his hyungs smile and laugh. Ever since he got sick, they have been laughing less and less, their smiles have been forced. Jungkook could always see the despair and sadness hidden in their eyes. Jungkook is fully memorizing the moment before him, Suga's  wide smile and Taehyung's loud laughter, Hoesok's funny dance and Jimin's smirk behind the camera, Namjoon's silly faces and Jin's motherly smile. It was all too good. Too good. Jin settled down besides Jungkook after handing the cooking over to Namjoon.

“Hyung.”

“Hm?”

“Will you be sad without me?” Jin was taken aback at the sudden question.

“Of course I will be Kookie. You’re our maknae.”

“Hehe…Hyung, I’m happy…Happy that I got to meet you guys, happy I am a part of Bangtan.” Jin’s eyes welled up with every word. He knew that Jungkook was saying goodbye. He knew that the time has come. The maknae’s eyes were closing by the second.

“Hyung, I love you. I love you all.” Jin watched in horror as Jungkook closed his beautiful eyes once and for all, as his precious donsaeng took his final breath, as Kookie’s hand fell out of his hand. He cradled the youngest in his arms, unable to do anything except sob his heart out. His sobs reached the other members. Jimin’s camera crashed to the floor with a bang. They rushed over to the limp body of their youngest hoping that he was still alive. The five didn’t even get to hear his goodbye. The six boys gathered around the boy and cried until they could cry no more. The unacceptable truth stuck the boys like a knife, with so much pain. Pain was all they felt. Will they ever overcome this pain? No, this pain will be carried with them every day of their lives, hidden in a special place at the bottom of their hearts... Bangtan Boys, always seven, forever seven. 

 

I may add some more chapters about events after his death but I'm not 100% sure whether that will happen or not. Comment!