New territory

Bulletproof No More, my Butterfly

A/N: This is my present to you all, my lovely readers and subbies, a double update!! I hope you all have had a wonderful holiday :) 


*4 months later*

The quaint house reverberates with laughter and squeals as Taehyung chases around one of his two pups, the other already seated in the high chair and munching happily on some cheerio’s.

“Someone’s feisty this morning.” Namjoon rumbles and the pup makes a squeak barking sound and runs up to his other father, tail wagging happily as he yips and tries to jump up towards Namjoon’s arms, his yips getting more excited as Namjoon picks the pup up and gives his son a happy smooch on his nose.

“Can you get him into the high chair?” Taehyung asks, blowing the fringe of hair out of his face. He’s been meaning to get it cut, but with the move it’s been low on the list. “I’m trying to get things settled into the kitchen and he won’t stop getting into the boxes.”

“Sure thing mate.” Namjoon makes a squeaky noise at his son, tickling him before he maneuvers the top of the high chair off. “Taejoonie, I need to feed you. But in order to do that, I need you to shift for me, ok pup?”

The pup whines, wriggling in Namjoon’s arms, but a moment later is a gurgling baby boy instead of a yipping pup.

Namjoon’s quick to get a diaper onto his son before he locks the 9 month old into the high chair, spilling some cheerio’s onto the high chair table and watching as Taehyung places the last of their dishes into the cupboard.

“I’m going to go over later and see how Jin hyung and the crew are doing.” Namjoon says, though it goes without saying that he wants to check up on Hoseok and Jimin the most.

It’s the reason why they’d all moved out to a small village settlement on the edge of town, even though Jin’s near due with his pup.

The Omega had insisted on the sanity and safety for Hoseok and Jimin for the move, and the council couldn’t deny them after everything had happened.

They were still investigating how the unmated female Alpha had managed to pass through all their filters as a Beta, and then kidnap Hoseok, not to mention the arrival of undocumented wolves into the council’s main building. In the one place that’s off limits to council members who aren’t cleared by their internal security to be there.

Namjoon knows the higher ups on the council aren’t stupid. He knows they know that Wendy’s uncle had been the one to make the loopholes so his beloved niece could get into their system, infiltrate their ranks.

All to get close to Hoseok.

They’d heard it a dozen times, how Wendy had seen Hoseok and Jin from afar in her home pack when she was a pup, before she’d matured into an Alpha, how she’d fallen instantly in love with the charismatic Beta.

There were rumors swirling around that Wendy had forced herself into becoming an Alpha because of her one sided crush on Hoseok.

But then again, there were rumors that her home pack was involved in making some very illegal, highly effective drugs designed to induce heats into werewolves, or make them into something that they weren’t going to mature into in the first place.

A whine brings Namjoon out of his thoughts, and he sighs, wiggling his fingers at Taegi, who’s fussing in his high chair, his table devoid of any food.

Namjoon spills a few more cheerio’s onto Taegi’s table, and goes to fill both boys’ sippy cups with a premade water/juice mixture.

Taehyung had insisted their pups didn’t get a whole lot of sugar into their system when they are still babies, and Namjoon’s heart had swollen with pride when he’d learned about it.

The Alpha inside him had puffed out his chest, rumbling in pleasure about how he’d chosen one of the two most perfect mates he could have ever found.

“Do you want anything to eat before you go over to check on the hyungs and Jungkook?” Taehyung asks as he turns around in their larger, and nicer, kitchen to look at Namjoon.

“Naw, you know how Jin is, he’ll probably try to feed me as soon as I get over there, even if I tell him I’ve already eaten.” Namjoon says, reaching out and wiping away a speck of dust from Taehyung’s cheek.

The Omega’s eyes sparkle at the contact for a moment before Taejoon’s screech of displeasure brings them out of their moment.

“Yoongi should be getting home soon.” Taehyung murmurs as he pulls something from the fridge. They’d gone shopping almost immediately after the moving company had brought in the last of the boxes from their old home, while Yoongi still had to report to work.

The radio station that Yoongi worked at hadn’t been as caring as the council had, telling Yoongi that he’d lose his job if he requested any more time off after his 4 months of paternal leave when the twins were born. The Beta had huffed even when his mates told him it was ok. They were plenty well off because of both of their work from the council, and the headstrong Beta didn’t have to work if he didn’t want to.

Yoongi, on the other hand, hadn’t wanted to let his listeners down, insisting that he would be ok with the nearly hour drive back and forth from their new home to work.

Namjoon fusses with the lids on the cups before handing them off to the twins, both boys squealing happily as they grabbed onto them, though Taegi took a sip before he started banging the cup onto his high chair’s table, delighted squeals coming out of his mouth at the beat.

“Great.” Taehyung sighs, rubbing his temples. “Leave it to Yoongi hyung’s offspring to start tapping out a beat with his sippy cup.”

Namjoon chuckles, reaching out to pull Taehyung into his arms, both of them sighing fitfully at the contact, even as the front door opens and Yoongi’s voice calls out that he’s home.

The Beta finds his mates hugging in the kitchen, and the twins making a ruckus. Dropping his bag, he gives each pup a kiss on the top of their heads before reaching out and snuggling up to both of his mates, the tension melting from his body at the contact.

No one ever said being a parent was easy.

Their moment is interrupted when Taegi drops his sippy cup on the floor, and starts crying while trying to reach down for it, causing Taejoon to stare at his twin before bursting into tears as well.

Namjoon presses kisses onto Taehyung before the Omega goes to soothe the twins from their crying, gives Yoongi a long warm kiss and hug to welcome him home from his work day before he takes up his keys and cell phone, promising to check in every so often to let them know how things are going across the street.

**

Over in the other household, it’s eerily quiet, though Jin is bustling around the kitchen, humming a soft tune to himself as he makes breakfast.

The last 4 months have been tolling for the mated pairs, especially Jimin and Hoseok, both whom are hurting.

“Anything I can do to help?” Jungkook comes into the kitchen, seeing his very pregnant mate scurrying around like his tail is on fire.

“Can you take this up to Jimin and Hoseok? My back has been hurting all night and I don’t think Jimin wants to see me in this state.” Jin says, holding a large covered tray that smells of scrambled eggs and other breakfast foods.

“Sure hyung.” Jungkook gives his mate a long look. “You aren’t going into labor are you?”

Jin stops a moment, his lips pursing like it does when he’s thinking too hard and then finally, nods. “I think so.”

Jungkook swallows the sudden onslaught of emotions that swirl at the fact he’s gonna be a dad soon, hands gripping the tray. “Ok. Let me know when you think it’s time to go in.” He can’t help the crack in his voice, and Jin smiles.

No matter how many times Jungkook reminds himself that this was what they’d both wanted, it still scares him a little bit that he’s going to be a father and he’s barely into his 20’s.

“I will. Now go before their breakfast gets cold.” Jin’s voice brings him back to the present, the Omega’s voice warm with affection though Jungkook detects the very faint tint of pain starting to creep into Jin’s tone.

Jungkook nods, turning and heading up the stairs carefully. He can hear a gentle murmuring as he walks down the hallway towards Jimin and Hoseok’s bedroom, waiting until it ends before balancing the tray with one hand and knocking. “Breakfast.”

“Come in Jungkook.” Jimin’s tired voice rings out.

Jungkook knows the scene he’s going to witness won’t be pretty, and he swallows down his emotions again as he opens the door and slides into the room silently. “Scrambled eggs, toast and some jello I think.” He says in a normal voice as he shuts the door.

Jimin smiles up at Jungkook as he leans over the hunched over form of Hoseok, who has the blankets bunched over his head. “Come on Hobi, food’s arrived. Can you eat something for me?”

Jungkook places the tray on the table next to the bed, watching as Hoseok, once a ball of bright sunshine in their lives, peaks out over the covers, his eyes sunken with dark circles underneath his dark eyes, his hair disheveled.

Jungkook lets Jimin take the cover off the tray, and they both see how Hoseok’s eyes seem to brighten a little at the breakfast, though his fingers grip the blanket tightly. “I’ll try.” His voice is gravely from disuse.

The Omega smiles, though Jungkook can see it’s forced. Regardless of how Jin thinks Jimin feels, the Alpha knows that the Omegas share a brotherly bond, and Jungkook’s pretty damn sure that Jimin can tell Jin is going into labor.

The thinness of Jimin’s front is a painful reminder to Jungkook, of what the Beta/Omega pair have lost.

It’d been too late when they’d gotten Hoseok’s blood labs back after he’d been examined at the council to know that the drugs he’d been injected with had a powerful backlash to them, causing his body to reject the fatherly bond he had with the unborn pup in Jimin’s body.

They’d learned then that unborn pups had a very tenuous bond with both parents, which is why any werewolf who was pregnant, male Omega or female, were pampered by their mates and friends until it was time for delivery.

Jungkook knew, from speaking with Taehyung’s father who was employed at the council that the scientists were furiously working on deconstructing the drug that had nearly cost Jimin and Hoseok their bond.

They didn’t want a drug that powerful to be out on the streets, so a new drug task force had been assembled, in secret and sent out to sweep up any potentials who had access to the drug.

The other backlash to the drug was, Hoseok had gone into withdrawal from being injected with too much for his wolf to handle, causing his wolf to go into a coma a day after they’d lost their pup.

The absence of his wolf side caused Hoseok to spiral into a weird depression state that was compounded by the drug withdrawal.

They’d been lucky the doctors had suggested that they move Hoseok out from the council’s medical bay into a house that would help him regain a semblance of a semi-normal life since there was nothing more they could do to ease the Beta’s suffering.

The doctors weren’t even sure if Hoseok’s wolf would ever come out of its coma, or that he’d be fully free of the drug’s effects on his system.

Hoseok slowly removes the blanket from his face, and Jungkook smiles as the Beta reaches out with impossibly thin arms to lift up the fork that Jin had thoughtfully provided on the tray.

Hoseok couldn’t even eat with chopsticks because of the tremors of withdrawal.

They watch as Hoseok takes a bite of the eggs, smiles and pulls the tray closer to his body.

It’s the first sign they have that the Beta is starting to feel a little better.

“Hey, can I talk to you for a second?” Jungkook asks as Hoseok cleans the tray spotless.

It’s the first full breakfast that he’s eaten in their new home, and Jungkook reminds himself to provide the fork and spoon for Hoseok at every meal.

“Sure.” Jimin smiles at Hoseok as the Beta wipes his fingers on the napkin, looking up at Jimin and yawning.  “You did well mate.” He praises Hoseok. “Go back to sleep, I know you need it. I’ll be right by the door, ok?”

Hoseok nods, settling back into the bed as Jungkook takes the tray, and he and Jimin walk out the bedroom.

“What is it?” Jimin asks.

Jungkook feels a rush of pride over how strong Jimin is to be taking care of his mate, even after he’d miscarried. “Jin hyung is going into early labor.” He tells Jimin. “When he’s ready to go to the hospital, I’ll let you know. I think Namjoon’s gonna be here too so you won’t be alone in having to care for Hoseok.”

Jimin sighs. “Thank you for telling me.” He stops a moment before he looks up at Jungkook. “Hoseok’s nightmares seem to have diminished since we got here a couple days ago. I think this was the best thing we could have done, moving out here.”

It hurt them all to move from the share house that held so many good memories, but the doctors thought a new environment would benefit both the Beta and his Omega mate, and Jungkook has to agree.

Jimin seems less tired than before, even though the dark circles under his eyes haven’t gone down any. Jungkook nods. “I think so too. Namjoon will be pleased with hearing how he ate all of his breakfast.”

They hear the sound of a door downstairs opening, and Namjoon’s soft voice echoes up the stairwell. “Do you want to try to eat breakfast with us or stay up here?” Jungkook asks finally when it’s clear Jimin’s not going to say much else.

“I can try.” Jimin tells him, his voice telling Jungkook that the Omega wants things to go back to some semblance of normal for them all.

Jimin goes into the bedroom, murmuring to Hoseok that he is going to eat something while the Beta sleeps, promising to be with him in a flash if he’s needed. They’d found the set of baby monitors when they’d moved, and Jungkook smiles when he hears Jimin promise that he’s got the second monitor on him, even turning off and on both of them before Hoseok nods his head. The monitors have helped whenever Jimin needs a moment to himself. Taking care of another person 24/7 can take a big toll out on the other person.

Jungkook starts down the stairs when he hears Jimin come to the door.

Namjoon’s face lights up when he hears Hoseok has eaten every single bit of breakfast that Jin had cooked and that he’d only woken up crying 20 times in the night instead of 50 or more. “I don’t want to be too optimistic, but I think moving, the change of everything around Hoseok is helping.” He says.

Namjoon’s actual job, and degree, is in psychology and health care. He mostly mentors and helps other wolves at the council when their charges have relapses, or have trouble getting over a certain psychological event that happened in their past.

His department boss had pulled him aside when he’d gone in to inform them he was moving with the others, the Beta looking solemn at Namjoon while fiddling with his tie. “They, uh,” The man clears his throat. “The council judges want you to report in every once in a while about Hoseok’s progress, or lack of progress. With this unknown drug we can’t be sure of anything that happens, and they want documentation on everything.”

Namjoon nods. He’s already known about the judge’s request. “I know already, boss. No need to be worried.” He’s never had an issue with the fact his boss is a Beta. Namjoon’s wolf is probably one of the most passive Alphas known in the council.

His boss relaxes visibly with that, smiling at Namjoon. “I’m sure we’ll all miss you while you are gone.” He tells the Alpha. “Let us know how those twins do too ok?”

It’s no secret amongst the department staff that Namjoon had been excited about the twins well before they’d been born, and he’d even brought in a picture of his family to show them off when he came back from his last assignment. Namjoon nods again, a smile on his face.

Jin lets out a groan, bringing Namjoon back to the present, and everyone’s heads whip to the Omega, who’s holding his back and front simultaneously, a grimace on his face.

“Hyung?” Jungkook’s up at his mate’s side immediately.

“I think it’s time Kookie.” Jin groans out, a hand suddenly gripping hard onto Jungkook’s shirt.

Jungkook blushes a little at the nickname that’s usually only reserved for when it’s just the two of them. “Um. Ok.” He blows out a breath. “Let’s get you to the car. Jimin, the hospital bag is in the front closet by the door.”

Jin lets out another groan, and Jungkook sweeps his mate off his feet as the others scramble around to get them out into the car before anything else can happen.

Namjoon and Jimin help Jungkook get Jin into the car, but the moment Jungkook goes to leave Jin alone in the backseat, where the Omega can stretch out, Jin lets out a wail of pain and grips onto Jungkook’s shirt. “You aren’t going anywhere mister. Namjoon, you are gonna have to drive us.”

Namjoon and Jimin look at each other. “I’ll be ok with Hoseok, hyung.” Jimin tells him honestly. “If anything happens I will call you.”

“The hospital is a half hour away.” Jungkook protests, trying to soothe his laboring mate.

“I don’t care! You are going to help me with my breathing, and you are too frazzled to drive!” Jin shouts. “Namjoon, get your into the car and drive!”

Namjoon gives Jimin one last worried look before he nods. “Ok.” He takes a breath, letting it out audibly. “OK. I’ve got this.”

Jimin tries to smile as the car door is shut, and Namjoon is taking off down the street like a bat out of hell. He feels his phone vibrate, and he texts Taehyung, who’d probably heard their voices in the quietness of the small village area they’d inhabited.

The area actually used to be home to a small pack of 5 male wolves who were looking to add more members to their group, and had made a deal with the council to become a scouter pack that searched for severely isolated or rogue packs and wolves in exchange for the council getting their territory.

Jimin looks around at the 5 houses, wondering how that small pack actually survived with each wolf living on his own within the pack, but he’d also heard before they’d moved out to the area, that a few of the members had been from other countries, though he doesn’t understand how that really works when it comes to pack mentality.

Jimin knows he could ask, but ever since Hoseok’s attack, he’s been busy taking care of his mate, and with Jin and Jungkook preoccupied between taking care of him and Hoseok, and their own impending pup, Jimin’s just taken to writing down his questions as they come, so when someone does have time to answer them, Jimin can get a lot of information.

Jimin stares at the blue house, the one that they’d marked as a future home for Jimin and Hoseok, if his mate gets well enough to function moderately ok on his own. There’s really not much to the village, just the 5 houses and that means whenever they need groceries, or want snacks, they’ll have to drive and the nearest grocery store or gas station is almost 30 minutes from them.

Jimin wonders if the others will agree to do joint grocery runs for all of them so they don’t have to make multiple trips for either household. He jumps with a start, realizing that he’s been outside without the baby monitor longer than he’d intended, turning and rushing into the house.

He doesn’t hear anything on the monitor, but he creeps upstairs to check on his mate, sighing in quiet relief to find the Beta is still sleeping.

Jimin creeps back downstairs, careful so as not to wake his recovering mate, and cleans up the mess from breakfast, shivering as his body temp drops suddenly.

“Oh .” Jimin can’t believe it.

The doctors had told him his next heat probably wouldn’t come for a year to 2 years after the miscarriage, as that’s what happened to other werewolves who’ve been in a similar circumstance. They also had mentioned that when he did go into heat, he’d have to arrange for someone to help him through it as they didn’t know if Hoseok would react to his mate’s pheromones, especially not with Hoseok’s wolf in a coma.

It would also mean that if Hoseok couldn’t scent him during his first heat after the miscarriage, their chances of ever trying to have another pup would decrease to near zero.

Jimin grips the counter as his legs wobble, and he waits until the moment of weakness passes, grabbing his cell phone and texting both Namjoon and Taehyung.

He gets a response back from Namjoon, who’d just gotten Jungkook and Jin to the hospital, promising to be back as soon as he can.

A knock on the door, and Yoongi’s voice calling out to Jimin as the Omega sighing in relief as he sinks to the floor, feeling his body starting to sweat.

“Omo, Jimin.” Yoongi, tired as all hell due to his shift at work, crouches down next to the Omega, smoothing back sweat soaked hair. “Did you set up the heat room yet?” He asks.

Jimin shakes his head. “N-not yet hyung.” He stammers through the fever that suddenly ravages his body. “The docs d-didn’t t-think I’d have a heat for a while.”

Yoongi shakes his head, his blond hair falling over his eyes. “Do you want Hoseok or do you want me to make up something downstairs?”

Jimin’s not sure if his mate can smell his blooming heat, but he’s also not sure if Hoseok can actually do anything when his wolf is in a coma. He chews on his bottom lip as Yoongi grabs a fresh cloth from the drawer, soaking it in cool water and laying it on Jimin’s forehead.

“First, take me to Hoseok.” Jimin says, the cloth feeling blissful against his head. “I want to see if he even reacts.” At the very least, it would be good to know if Hoseok can still react to his pheromones so when they send their next report to the doctors, they can include that information.

The cool cloth must have abated the heat for a moment as Yoongi helps the Omega up, politely ignoring the growing wet stain on Jimin’s pants as he helps Jimin up the stairs to his bedroom. The room is quiet, even as Yoongi helps Jimin onto the bed. “I’ll go make up the heat room just in case.” Yoongi tells him.

“The baby monitor is still in the kitchen.” Jimin tells him, blushing suddenly. “If you hear noises…well, don’t come back up.”

Yoongi nods, noticing how Hoseok seems to be dead asleep. “I’ll be back.” He promises.

It doesn’t dawn on Yoongi until he’s got the mattress fitted with a sheet, the box labeled with Jimin’s heat relief open next to it, that he’d been able to smell a light scent of sandalwood and lavender. He’d brought the baby monitor from the kitchen just in case Jimin calls for him.

The sudden burst of noise through the baby monitor scares Yoongi, and he listens for a moment before his cheeks heat up and he heads up the stairs to the kitchen.