Yoongi's past

Bulletproof No More, my Butterfly

Daegu, S. Korea

A young Yoongi watches from the windows of his home as his parents bow down low to the Head Alpha of the pack, a scowl on the imposing man’s face as his parents gesture back and forth between the house and themselves.

He’s only 11, but he can tell already that he’ll be a Beta when he matures, something that the pack already has too much of, and Yoongi’s parents are worried that the Head Alpha will ask them to leave the Pack, seeing as that his older brother had also turned out to be a Beta, though his hyung was an exceptionally skilled hunter who’d proven his worth to the pack when he had matured. Yoongi’s talents don’t align with any jobs the pack has for those of the Beta ranking, even though he’s gotten high recommendations from his music teachers for music and creativity. Two things they don’t really have a big need for in the Pack, if he goes by anything his parents have said.

Yoongi watches with an increasing trepidation as his parents bow again to the Head Alpha and wait until the man has gotten into his car and left before coming back into the house. His father sighs, going to the kitchen while his mom heads straight to the phone.

Yoongi stays where he’s at, afraid to move because he can practically taste the tension in the air as he hears his mom talking on the phone, and his name is heard, and the words “move” and “Seoul”.

“Son, come here.” His mother calls for him.

When Yoongi arrives in the kitchen, his father is already 2 beers in, and his mother is starting to cook for their dinner already and Yoongi breaks out into a cold sweat. “Yes mom?” He asks, standing at the threshold.

“Your aunt wants you to come to Seoul and stay for a little bit.” His mom tells him, her voice brooking no room for argument.

Yoongi knows in that moment his parents have sold him out for their chances to stay in the pack, and he lets his shoulders drop. “Yes mom.” He says, his voice steady despite the turmoil starting in his guts.

“After dinner, I expect you to go upstairs and start packing things you need to say with her. She’s got a room already for you and you’ll be transferring into a nice school there.” His mother continues as she starts something to simmering on the stove.

Yoongi stays quiet all throughout dinner, and as his mom starts clear the table from dinner, Yoongi slips out up to his room and lets the tears fall as he starts packing a couple bags full of clothes. He doesn’t bother packing anything else, as he has a feeling his aunt will ‘insist’ that he stay with her throughout the summer and probably the last few years before he matures and is able to get a job and his own place and his parents will send his things along sooner or later in their haste to remove his existence from their home.

The next morning, his mother sighs as he brings the 2 bags full of clothes and a bag that contains his most precious items, a binder full of song lyrics he’s been working on ever since he’d learned how to write, a few books and the laptop one of his teachers had snuck to him last year when he’d shown up for the first day of middle school and was the only one in his class who hadn’t had a laptop, even though it was required for one of their new classes. Yoongi remembered giving the letter to his mother the day he’d gotten it from school, but she’d never gotten the item for him.

“Is that all you are bringing?” His father asks.

Yoongi nods, not daring to speak with the look his mother is throwing at him. They don’t speak during the 10 minute drive to the bus station, his parents not even taking the time to send him off properly once he’s gotten his one way bus ticket in hand.

The bus ride is much longer than Yoongi expects, and he realizes when the bus stops at a station, that his parents didn’t even give him money so he could get something to eat, or give him food for his trip. ‘Stupid parents.’ Yoongi mentally curses at them as he curls up miserably in his seat, feeling his stomach growl. He didn’t even get a chance to eat breakfast before they’d left, and with how fast they’d taken off once Yoongi had his ticket hadn’t given him a chance to say anything about money for food.

Even the other passengers on the bus are apathetic and stick to themselves, especially when Yoongi’s stomach growls loud enough for the people around him to hear it. He hears someone tisking in the distance, though he can almost bet they’re thinking he’s some runaway who is saving his money for important things once they hit Seoul when it couldn’t be further from the truth. Every time the bus stops, he gets out and takes his time at the drinking fountains in order to fill up his empty stomach, though he knows it’s a foolhardy measure as his body will start demanding food sooner or later. Yoongi can only sigh and curl up as the bus gets closer to Seoul and pray that his Aunt will be nice and feed him, though from what he remembers, his Aunt and his mother aren’t too far apart in personalities.

**

“You look like .” Is the first thing Yoongi hears when he comes out of the bus station. He’d spend several minutes inside the station, drinking from the water fountain out of necessity trying to distract himself from the hunger that gnawed at his insides.

“Hi Auntie.” Yoongi manages to smile in spite of the lightheadedness he’s starting to feel. He’s still a growing boy, future Beta or not, and he’s pretty sure that the lack of food is not good for his body.

“I can’t believe your mother dumped you on me.” His aunt huffs as she turns and starts towards the parking lot, and Yoongi has to run in order to catch up to her. “I have strict rules.” She says as they approach her car.

“You will have a curfew of no later than 5pm on a weekend, and during the school week, 9pm once night classes get out. You will not have any friends over, and I expect you to behave in school. If I get called to the principal’s office, you will be punished severely.” His aunt says as Yoongi hops into the backseat, his bags feeling heavier by the minute.

Time passes, and Yoongi’s last year of middle school changes the moment he meets Jung Hoseok, a tiny loudmouthed boy who insists that he’ll be the best Beta someday and everyone will remember his name.

He spends his free time writing lyrics and learning instruments, but no matter what he does, the interest in his music is fleeting, and though he really wants to produce music, the furthest he thinks he’ll get is a radio broadcasting degree, so it’s what he chooses when it comes time to figure out his high school study track, and lies to his aunt saying he’s going to choose something business related so he can get a job with the council. It’s not like she’ll check what he’s put down anyway, she barely cares about him other than to see his grades every report and pats him on the head when he aces everything.

He meets Kim Taehyung by accident when he gets lost on his way to a job interview, and even though he calls the place to tell them he won’t make to the interview, he thinks later on that it was a blessing in disguise as he finds out that the place ended up closing a few months later, and he’s gained a new friend who is loud and boisterous, if a bit impractical and goofy sometimes, but it brings a new dynamic into his friendship with Hoseok.

He barely even sees his aunt as time flies by, and the night before his 16th birthday is spent with Hoseok and Taehyung, the younger of the 2 finding the stash of alcohol that Hoseok’s parents kept carefully hidden, he still isn’t sure how Taehyung had known where it was, and getting intoxicated enough to pass out in Hoseok’s room, where the future Beta’s parents found them the next morning.

It’s not the first time Hoseok’s been kicked out of his parents’ house, but apparently this had been the last straw, even though Taehyung had protested and admitted he’d been the one to find the alcohol. Hoseok just packs his bags and smiles, telling Taehyung that it’s ok when the younger boy is nearly in tears.

“We’ve been preparing for this for a while now TaeTae.” Hoseok tells Taehyung as he stuffs his bookbag full of his school things while Yoongi tosses clothing out of the closet to be stuffed into a dufflebag. “I was planning on moving in with Yoongi once I matured, but this way we get to start a bit early.”

Taehyung sniffles and wipes at his eyes. “But hyung. I’m really really sorry.” He whines.

“Taehyung, this means you can sleep over more if you want, and no one can kick you out for curfew.” Yoongi says as Hoseok moves from the bookbag to the duffle bag. “You should ditch the hangers, we can always buy some from the allowance my aunt gives me.” He tells Hoseok as the younger starts to stuff clothing into the bag.

“She’s gonna give you an allowance?” Hoseok asks as he stops for a moment to look at Yoongi.

“Yeah, something about my parents being forced to send me money because she’s not gonna pay for me to live on my own now that I’m a Beta.” Yoongi shrugs. “Not like they care anyway.”

Yoongi, in preparation for his wolf awakening, has already gotten a ty 2 room apartment above a laundromat, the only place that he could find that the landlady didn’t ask why a still unmatured wolf was looking for a room, so Hoseok moves in.

He barely thinks of his parents, though he does send them a letter stating he’s matured and is a Beta as they’d all suspected he would be, and isn’t surprised when he doesn’t get a reply or call back from them.

His aunt gives him a familiar looking thick envelope and tells him she’s moving away for her job now that he’s matured, and Yoongi find the envelope stuffed with his documents, paperwork and a few thousand won stuffed between the documents, a final parting gift he’s sure is from his parents to his 11 year old self. He remembers seeing his mom stuff the envelope into his bag, and telling him not to open it up, just to give it to his Aunt when he’d arrived at her home. Yoongi’s sure the money is actually from his dad than his mom, but he’ll probably never know.

He doesn’t mention the bank account book that had his name on it, he’s sure his aunt started it when he’d moved in with her, and the amount listed in the book isn’t a lie when he goes in to check to see if the balance is still the same on his first day off from school when Hoseok and Taehyung aren’t around. He doesn’t plan on squandering the mini-fortune before college, he can hear his aunt’s nagging voice in the back of his head about how important paying for college was, and he stuffs the book into the back of a drawer with envelope full of documents.

Yoongi, Hoseok and Taehyung continue to hang out, until Hoseok’s 16th birthday comes and he presents as a Beta as well and Taehyung’s parents don’t want their son hanging out with two matured Betas alone, so they take to meeting in public places so Taehyung’s mom is at ease with their friendship progressing.

Yoongi’s fateful meeting with Namjoon comes a little more than a month after Taehyung comes of age and presents as an Omega, and yet he still hasn’t heard anything from his parents. The week after he, Namjoon and Taehyung mated, he’d tried the phone number he remembered as a kid, leaving a voicemail on the machine that still had his mother’s simple message on it, and told his parents he’d mated with both an Alpha and an Omega, and that he was sorry they’d never meet his wonderful mates, but he was happy and he hoped they were happy with their decision and maybe someday they’d all get to meet up again.


A/N: AAAND there's Yoongi's background. This is the last of my spring break updates. Sad to say, I'll be back on hiatus from Monday the 28th until the first week or 2 in May (only 6 more weeks UGH!!)

Thank you all for your continued support and comments!