The calm before the storm (pt 2)

Bulletproof No More, my Butterfly

double update!!!! go back and read chapter 9 before this one!

Jungkook paces back and forth as Jin sits in the bed, looking at his mate. “It’s fine Kookie.” Jin soothes his mate. “I’m sure our pup is fine.”

Jungkook’s already told Jin about the worries that Namjoon’s told him, having promised Jin when they were newly mated that he’d never keep anything from Jin ever, no matter how ‘restricted’ the information was.

It’s how they managed to get away with not having to have Jin give birth at the council’s medical bay, with Jungkook telling Jin to insist on having control over where he had their pup.

Jungkook’s not sure how trustworthy the staff is at this hospital, even after he’d been reassured by several people that the hospital was only an affiliate of the council’s medical bay, and not directly controlled by it.

The soft whine of a pup and a nurse cooing at it brings their attention to the door as it opens, and the nurse smiles softly as she checks the bands on Jin and Jungkook’s arms with the one on their pup’s left forearm before handing the pup over to Jin.

“He’s fine now.” She says, smiling. “Just a bit of a bilirubin mishap. They though he was too high when he’s perfectly fine.”

“When can we discharge? We have friends watching our house and we don’t want to burden them much longer.” Jungkook asks.

“I’ll ask the doctor, but I’m sure he’ll let you go this afternoon.” She assures them.

The doctor does not, in fact, let them go that afternoon. Nor the day after, or the day after that. Jungkook’s sure his legs are numb from all the walking and pacing he’s done and Jin’s worse, the Omega wondering if he suffered from any side effects after the incident with Hoseok.

Their pup is taken again and again, coming back whining or quiet each time a different nurse brings him back, and Jin has to bite back a growl of anger at the last nurse who’d brought their pup into the room, barely checking their id bracelets and dumping the pup unceremoniously into Jungkook’s outstretched arms.

Finally, on the 5th day after Jin gives birth, they’re discharged by the doctor, though the old wolf won’t say what was wrong with their pup for the last 4 days. Jungkook calls Namjoon and gets voicemail, which he finds odd, so he tries calling Yoongi only to get the same result.

He’s loathe to call Jimin, but he’d gotten a text from the Omega the day before that simply stated his heat cycle was over and that Hoseok was doing better. Jin looks up at him with their pup, his eyes soft and loving as he rocks back and forth to keep the little one asleep.

“They’re not picking up are they?” Jin says. “And you don’t want to call Jimin.”

“Yeah.” Jungkook sometimes loves and hates how Jin can read him perfectly.

“Just call Jimin. I’m sure he can tell you what’s going on at the very least.” Jin sighs.

Jungkook bites his bottom lip, finding Jimin’s number in his contacts and calling. Surprisingly it goes to voicemail and he looks at his mate. “I guess we’ll have to take a taxi.”

Jin frowns. “Can you try Taehyung? I know he can’t drive yet because he’s not cleared to by the doctors, but maybe he’ll answer and tell us what’s going on. Everyone’s phone going to voicemail is worrying me.”

Jungkook nods, the pads of his fingers working quickly to find Taehyung’s number. He doesn’t bother putting the phone to his ear as they both clearly hear the moment Taehyung’s phone goes straight to voicemail. “Brat must have forgotten to charge his phone again.” Jungkook groans.

Jin sighs, cooing at their son. He waits patiently as Jungkook calls a taxi service and jerks as he hears his mate swearing, something Jungkook does only when he’s mad, or having to pay more than he wants for something.

“I guess the money for his naming party will have to come out of our savings.” Jungkook says as he comes back a few moments later. “The taxi ride fee back home is going to be huge.” He sighs.

The ride from the hospital is silent, and Jungkook shifts as he watches Jin holding their son close, refusing to put the pup into his first carrier for the ride.

The taxi stops at the road that leads down to their area, and the driver turns to them. “I’m sorry, this is as far as I can go. Taxi company rules and all.” He tells them, his face expressionless.

“There’s no way you can go any further?” Jungkook asks as Jin stiffens beside him. “Our pup is barely a week old and you want us to walk the rest of the way to our home?”

“I’m sorry. The company has the tracking thing enabled on my vehicle. I’d lose my job if I take you any further out of the city.” The driver says, having the gall to sound apologetic.

Jin sighs, pulling the handle of the door and nudging his mate. “It’s ok Jungkook.” He gives the driver an indescribable look. “Call the others and see if they pick up while we walk. It’s not far.”

Jungkook grumbles, his voice taking on a quality that Jin knows means his wolf is coming to the surface, even as the Alpha is pulling his wallet out to pay the driver.

“I…I can’t do that. You two need all the money you can save.” The man refuses the money, reaching over to erase the taxi fee from his counter. “Just….just protect that pup and stay far away from the city.”

Jungkook barely gets all the things the hospital gave them, putting the small items in the carrier meant for their pup, dialing Namjoon’s phone, trying to calm down as the phone rings before a click is heard just as the taxi drives away. “Hyung?” He asks, unsure if the voice mail has picked up again or someone actually answered the phone.

“Jungkook, what’s up, is everything ok?” Namjoon’s voice sounds rushed, as if he’d been running to the phone.

“I tried to call earlier, but no one was picking up. Jin and the pup got discharged finally.” Jungkook responds.

“! I’m so sorry man.” Namjoon groans. “Are you still at the hospital? Do you need me to pick you up?”

“Namjoon hyung, slow down!” Jungkook laughs. “We got a taxi, but he wouldn’t take us past the city line, so we’re at the road that leads home. What’s going on that you all couldn’t answer the phones?”

Namjoon is silent for a moment. “Uh…Well, Yoongi hyung got a phone call from the radio station and we’ve been kind of scrambling around to prepare things.”

“What kind of call?” Jungkook asks.

“I know it’s only a 20 minute walk, but let me come pick you up. This….there are things we need to discuss and I’d rather not do it over the phone while you two are unprotected.”

Jungkook’s stomach clenches. “Ok Namjoon hyung.” He says. “We won’t move a foot from where we’re at.” He promises.

Jin looks at him from beside the road where he’s protecting their pup. “What’s going on that they couldn’t answer the phone?” He asks.

Jungkook looks at his mate. “Namjoon hyung said he’s coming to pick us up and he’ll tell us on the way back.”

They don’t have to wait long, and after settling Jin in the backseat with their things, his mate still holding their pup, and Namjoon waits a moment for Jungkook to settle in before he turns the car around and heads back home. “Remember what I told you before the pup was born?”

Jungkook nods. “Yeah I do, does that have to do with whatever happened earlier?”

Namjoon hums in answer. “Yoongi got a call from the radio station, someone had called in and wanted to speak to him desperately from one of the packs he’d contacted a while ago. The pack of that female Alpha who assaulted Hoseok is on the move.”

“What do you mean, ‘on the move’?” Jungkook asks, and he has a sinking feeling that s about to hit the fan.

“They’re coming for the city.” Namjoon says. “The contact said the pack was passing through their territory a couple of days ago and their leader convinced her pack Alpha to join their cause. She took a big risk in contacting Yoongi about the issue because she knew he was looking for information.”

Jin audibly inhales and Jungkook swallows hard. “That explains why things at the hospital were odd.” He says, his mind racing over everything that’s happened in the last 5 days. He turns to Jin and looks at his mate. “I wonder how much genetic testing they did on our pup to see why we matured earlier than we were supposed to, and I bet they think our pup’s going to mature early too.” He says.

“I wouldn’t put it past the council’s more devious members to have kept track of where we are and which hospital we were going to.” Jin replies. “The fact they kept taking him for things and not telling us scares me that they were doing things to our pup without our consent.”

Jungkook nods. “Also that explains why the cab driver wouldn’t go out of city limits. He would have made a lot of money had he not refused to take us further.”

“Maybe it was best he didn’t see where we live.” Namjoon says. “I don’t know what that pack’s motive for moving toward the city is, but I think we’d be smart to start stock piling supplies in case war breaks out.” He tells them as they pull up to Jin and Jungkook’s house. “The others are in full agreement with me.”

Jungkook looks back at his mate, and Jin nods once in agreement to the unspoken question. “We’re in agreement as well.” He says. “We shouldn’t go out more than needed, though we sort of do have to maintain appearances I guess with Yoongi hyung having to work and you still have to report in on Hoseok’s progress.”

Namjoon smiles. “I technically only have to report his progress once a month unless something really significant happens, but you know I’m not going to report much to them. Until something happens, I agree we should maintain appearances.”

The others crowd out of the house, and both the Alpha and Omega are surprised to see Hoseok being brought out by Jimin. The Beta’s skin is looking much healthier than it did before they’d left, and just the fact the Beta is up and about instead of sleeping is a big improvement.

“Omo, look, he’s got Jin hyung’s nose.” Taehyung says when they introduce the pup to their friends.

Jungkook won’t say it, but he can feel that Namjoon’s a more powerful Alpha than he is, and with the fact they are pretty much on their own land, isolated from the city pack mentality, he can feel the pull that Namjoon has on everyone.

It’s relieves some stress from Jungkook, who knew if push came to shove, he’s more likely to protect Jin and their pup than getting everyone to safety, and he and his wolf both know he’s not emotionally mature enough to lead everyone anyway.

Taehyung and Yoongi bring the twins over and the older pups sniff at the newborn, and to everyone’s surprise, shift into their own wolf forms and snuggle up next to the pup and fall asleep with him.

“That’s way too adorable.” Yoongi coos and Jin runs to get his camera.

“So have you figured out a name for him yet?” Jimin asks once they’re done cooing at the puppy pile, with Jin putting his camera away after snapping several pictures.

Jin and Jungkook look at each other and Jin blushes slightly. “We were thinking either Jukjin or Jinkook.” He says.

“Jinkook sounds nice.” Hoseok, whose been quietly watching the pups, suddenly speaks up. “I like how it rolls off the tongue.”

Jungkook beams at Hoseok. “That’s what I said when we were talking about names.”

Jin chuckles and looks at his mate. “Well if everyone here likes it, then I’m ok with the name.” He says.

Jungkook smiles and nods in agreement. It’s as close as they can get to normal now after everything that’s happened. Jungkook won’t say it, but he can see the toll that constantly taking care of Hoseok is putting on Jimin, no matter how much the Omega protests that he’s fine.

Since the pups are all napping, Jin lays down near them in case Jinkook wakes and needs to be fed. Jungkook, Yoongi and Namjoon sit down in the kitchen away from the pups to start making lists of things they want to stock pile including diapers for all the pups.

Jimin and Taehyung decide to make lunch for everyone, and Jin’s mildly surprised that Hoseok’s not asleep in the bedroom upstairs. “Hey hyung.” Hoseok’s voice is quiet, raspy from disuse, but without the depressive quality it used to have before they’d moved. “Do…” the recovering Beta his lips. “Do you think that we’ll be ok?” He asks.

Jin sits up, looking at Hoseok. It’s been 5 days since he’d seen the Beta, and he wonders if Jimin’s sudden heat is the catalyst for Hoseok getting better at a faster rate. He hums for a moment, his mind racing. “Honestly, I don’t know.” He sighs. “I won’t lie and say we will for sure be ok, but I can’t be totally pessimistic and say we aren’t.” He says.

Hoseok nods and lays back against the couch, his body wrapped in a blanket from his and Jimin’s room. “I wish I was stronger. I wish I was over this and my wolf wasn’t comatose.” He says, blinking up at the ceiling. “I want to help protect you, Jimin and Taehyung and the pups.”

Jin moves so he can lean on Hoseok’s legs. “Don’t force yourself into things you can’t do yet.” He says softly. “I don’t want you to get hurt any more than I do the others.” He places a hand on Hoseok’s knee, forcing the Beta to look at him. “Just because you can’t fight with your wolf doesn’t mean you aren’t strong, Jung Hoseok. You have a strong mind and a fighting spirit. If push comes to shove, I know you can come up with a plan to keep us all safe.”

By the time Jin’s done, Hoseok has tears in his eyes. “Hyung…” He whimpers, tears spilling over and Jin climbs up on the couch to pull Hoseok into a hug. “Thank you hyung for believing in me.” He sobs as Jin holds him close.

The Omega’s sure the others have heard their conversation as the lack of noise in the kitchen resumes, confirming Jin’s suspicions.

**

Namjoon and Jungkook go out to buy the list of things to be stockpiled over the course of the next week, and Yoongi keeps going to work, even though it’s now obvious to the group that something is going on in the city.

Jin wakes up to a council wide email stating a mandatory council meeting and even those who are on a pre-approved leave are required to attend. Jin replies to his department’s new supervisor, some Beta who’d been extremely helpful in the extraction office when the former Alpha had gone feral that because of his newborn pup, he won’t be able to leave home to attend the meeting, but if there was a way for him to attend through a conference call, he’d be more than happy to do so.

The response back, while polite, annoys Jin to no end because of the implications it brings. He knows that he has the right to stay home even if it’s a mandatory meeting, and he knows he has the right to ask to be patched into the meeting through a call, but the way his supervisor words the response confirms that either someone, or something is going on internally in the council.

Hoseok’s even required to attend through the conference call while Jimin and Yoongi try to help keep the three pups calm.

Namjoon, Jungkook and Taehyung all leave a few hours before the meeting, promising to call when they’re ready to return to the house and Jin can’t help but feel apprehensive about the whole thing.

They smell a foreign scent half way through the council meeting call, and Yoongi makes a motion that he’s going to check it out while they’re busy. Jin nods, his hands creeping to the extra cell phone that Namjoon bought.

Everyone that works for the council has an extra cell phone now, one that’s not been cleared by the council for use, an idea that Hoseok had when he’d been staring out at the large expanse of forest that’s literally right next to their house. It’s a new habit he’s developed, and just shrugs whenever someone asks him what he’s thinking about.

Jin texts Jungkook and Namjoon at the same time, figuring one of them would respond and sure enough, the phone vibrates almost immediately after he’s sent the message. ‘When Yoongi comes back, make sure to lock all the doors and windows tight, and don’t go outside the house until we get back. RM’ The text reads.

They’ve gone back to using their code names when texting, though Jin and Jungkook never really had code names seeing as Jin was the doctor and Jungkook a mentor, and neither one of them saw the need for such a thing because by the time a runaway wolf came, Jin’s job was to take care of any physical wounds and document everything, while Jungkook didn’t even meet said runaway until they’d been processed and cleared through the council for rehab.

Jin barely remembers the rest of the council meeting, and he’s sure Namjoon wouldn’t say anything about the foreign wolf until they’re driving back from the city when Yoongi drags himself back into the house, his right shoulder bloodied and torn.

“.” The Beta swears as he shuts the door, and limps towards the kitchen.

The scent of blood stirs Hoseok, who sniffs the air and, in a surprising change, growls for the first time since his assault.

Jin’s glad their connection to the council is done, as the call had disconnected as soon as the meeting was announced to be over with. He stands quickly, pushing his cell phone at Hoseok. “If Namjoon calls, answer it.” He says. “I’ll tend to Yoongi.”

“What the hell hyung?” Jimin’s voice gasps as he sees the Beta.

“Two wolves, smelt like they were from the north.” Yoongi groans. “They were in the trees between the other’s house and the road, watching the road like they were waiting for the others to come back.”

Jin brings the first aid kid to the kitchen, glancing over at Jimin, who had been in the middle of preparing something for their dinner. “Jimin, can you bring me some towels warmed with hot water so we can clean up Yoongi before the others get back?” He asks as he cracks one of the ice packs into use as he’s pushing up Yoongi’s foot to lay across the ankle, which is starting to swell into a nice sprain.

Jimin rushes to comply with Jin’s order, and soon they have the blood cleaned off of Yoongi’s shoulder and Jin in a breath. “They got you really good Yoongi.” Jin says. “Had they gotten any deeper, you wouldn’t be using this arm until the muscles were reattached at the hospital.”

The one thing they didn’t have that the old fictional werewolves that humans used to romanticize did was the super healing powers, and sometimes Jin wants to kick whatever biological process that had made humans into werewolves so it would add that feature in.

“You want the scissors and a trash can?” Jimin asks as they see the extent of the damage done by wolven claws.

“Yes please.” Jin says, dabbing at a trickle of blood from one of the deeper cuts. “I’m going to cut some of the obviously dead skin off, and I’m gonna do some field stitching, is that ok?” He asks Yoongi, who clenching a large rolled up towel in his good hand.

“ I don’t care hyung.” Yoongi swears through gritted teeth. “Just do it. This hurts.”

“I’m sorry I don’t have any painkillers to pump you with.” Jin says. They’re actually locked up tight across the street in Namjoon’s house, a precaution since they weren’t sure how Hoseok was going to act as he recovers from the drug withdrawal.

Thankfully the Beta’s proven that he’s a pretty chill withdrawal patient, though Jin has a feeling that the more his wolf nature tries to assert itself without his wolf actually being awake will cause Hoseok to become angry or combative.

Jin is thankful Jimin’s helping him as the Omega brings a pair of surgical scissors, a large trashcan and more towels. “Thanks.” Jin says as he gets straight to working on fixing up Yoongi’s shoulder. He makes a mental note to ask Namjoon for something once the others get back.

He doesn’t even hear the ringing phone, nor does he hear Hoseok’s raspy voice, or Jimin taking over the phone call to explain to Namjoon what happened to his Beta mate, choosing to ignore everything around them except getting Yoongi stitched up quickly and efficiently.

He’s nearly half way done stitching up the first of Yoongi’s wounds when Jimin comes into the kitchen, holding a green bottle that Jin’s pretty sure didn’t come from their house. “It was in one of the other houses.” Jimin asks when Jin looks up at the younger Omega for a second, eyeballing the bottle of soju and frowning.

“Oh thank god.” Yoongi groans.

“Namjoon said not to...” Jin’s voice is cut off by Jimin.

“I know. Namjoon hyung said we were to lock all windows and doors and not go outside.” Jimin replies in a tone that leaves no room for arguments. “He told me over the phone when he called where to find it. I was quick and I’m sure no one saw me.” He says.

Jin lets his shoulders relax a little as he worked, pausing in a stitch, waiting as Jimin handed the opened bottle to Yoongi, who quickly takes a swig of the clear liquid. It’s not enough to get him drunk, but Yoongi’s enough of a lightweight that one shot allows the grimace to slide off his face and his hands relax a little as the alcohol takes effect.

Jin hears Jimin sigh as he takes the bottle from Yoongi’s hands as they hear one of the pups whine in the living room. “I’ll get him.” Jimin says quickly.

It takes a moment for Jin to process, and his shoulders tense up again as he finishes off the worst of Yoongi’s wounds. “.” He sighs.

“Don’t worry.” Yoongi’s voice is still laced with pain, but it tells Jin that the Beta is more able to tolerate it. “You guys don’t give Jimin enough credit.” He says as Jin threads into the next wound.

“I know, but…” Jin sighs again, feeling the weight of being the oldest in their group. “I don’t think he has had time to process things properly.”

“Who says he hasn’t?” Yoongi asks, raising an eyebrow at Jin, hissing when the Omega hits a tender spot that throws pain up his shoulder. “The 2 months Hoseok was stuck in the medical bay and they wouldn’t let Jimin stay with him? Jimin sure as hell didn’t come home did he?”

Jin’s fingers twitch as he pulls the string taunt against his stitch. He remembers well the first month that Hoseok had gone into the drug withdrawal and had to be sedated. Jimin refused to leave his mate’s side even when the doctors themselves barred the Omega from being in the room whenever they treated Hoseok. He knows the Omega stayed in the medical bay after he’d been discharged from the hospital, and had assumed Jimin had stayed day and night next to Hoseok. “I…I guess I never really thought about it.” He responds to Yoongi finally.

“I asked the doctors because Taehyung was so worried about Jimin.” Yoongi’s definitely feeling much better thanks to the alcohol. “Jimin spent the time Hoseok was sedated talking to a therapist who was assigned to their case.”

Jin stops his stitching to look at Yoongi. “They didn’t tell me that.”

“Of course not.” Yoongi flexes his ankle a little. “They wouldn’t have told me either, but I threatened to bring Tae’s father down on their stuck up heads. Didn’t take much for those excuse of doctors to tell me what was going on with Jimin.”

Jin starts stitching again, a bit faster than before. He doesn’t want infection setting into Yoongi’s wounds. “Dude, anyone who knows Taehyung’s father would probably spill their deepest, darkest secrets.”

Taehyung’s father was a very well know Alpha to the council, but was not a member of the council. However he was the private doctor to the Alpha who actually oversaw the city, though the man didn’t have a title.

Taehyung’s father was the highest level of a doctor that one could get in the city, and many of the idiot doctors working in the council’s medical bay aspired to take over the job once Taehyung’s father retired.

It’s one of the reasons why Jin had joined the Excursion office instead of moving to the medical bay when he’d finished his training. He didn’t want to have to deal with the self-serving idiots who ran the bay, and his wolf had agreed at the time, they didn’t want to be stuck in one spot forever.

Yoongi doesn’t say anything more as Jin works, watching as the Omega stitches him up, who’s so focused on his task that his tongue is sticking out of the corner of his mouth. “Finally.” Jin sighs, the scissors cutting the thread like string from the last wound that’s been stitched up.

The Omega sits back for a moment, setting aside the needle which still has string attached to it and the scissors, bending over to grab some gauze from the first aid kit and starts winding it around Yoongi’s shoulder and arm before taping it off. “No , no activity that could cause your stitches to break loose. Showers are ok, no baths no matter what Taehyung tries to say.” Jin tells Yoongi as he stands and starts cleaning up.

“Hey, I take offence to that.” Taehyung’s voice calls out into the kitchen. “Baths are awesome.”

The tall Alpha and Omega both crowd into the kitchen around Yoongi, and Jin turns away to wash his hands as Taehyung mothers over his Beta mate while Namjoon asks Yoongi for the details on their intruder.


A/N: School has the last 2 weeks. Suffice to say, things got changed, schedules got screwed up because of a clinical site backing out last minute. My first test in my classes is on Feb 1st and I think I have 2 tests the next week after that, so don't expect an update until mid Feb. 

Comments and upvotes are much appriciated!