Chapter 4

Woman who can't cry, Man who can't smile

Jihyo pushes the button on the door to enter the house. Soon after she changes to her slipper, both her parents with Kwangsoo rush to her.
"How is it?" "Is it tiring?" Did they treat you good?"
Due to non stop question, Jihyo just smiling to them, a tired smile and excuses herself to her room.
She was just finish take her shower when someone knocks on her door. 
"Noona, are you okay?" Kwangsoo enters her room before laid himself on the bed.
"Kwangsoo ah..." After few minutes only Jihyo speaks.
"Yes?"
"Remember i told you about the guy i met during my interview?"
"Oh the one you lied to? Why? Is he come and disturb you?"
"No...actually he works there."
"Ah..then you are surprised is it? His turns that he lied to you."
"No! It is worst than that. You know the story about the company right? What omma and appa told you during dinner last night?"
"About the strict rules of your company and the cold hearted boss?"
Jihyo nodded her head slowly, then their eyes met. Kwangsoo quickly sits on the bed. "Don't tell me that he is.."
"Yes. He is my CEO.." Kwangsoo gasped in shock. He gripped Jihyo's shoulder.
"Yah! Why must you always fall into the trouble! Is he recognized you? Did he treatened you?"
"I guess i already dig my own death!" Jihyo was frustrated since she hold the fear since she met Gary at office today. Now only she able to release it to Kwangsoo. Indeed what Gary told her is true, she had long milestone to go.

2 months later


It is Monday today. Jihyo's team will having their weekly presentation with Director Ha. They are coming with new product idea with new theme, 'Intelligent Communication'
"So we had few idea so far but i had to reject few of them. So far, we don't have anything to present yet. It will be a dead for us again. Hyuna, are you tired of giving new idea?" asks Director Ha
"Why would i? We had a newcomer here right?" Hyuna' s reply cause everyone to turn to Jihyo. 
"Song Jihyo, you know your trial will be finish by next month? Have you come with any idea to impress our CEO?"
"Yeah, i'm working on it but i need few help." Jihyo lies to them. Actually she cannot come out with any idea as she is really terrified by looking at Gary's face everyday even in her nightmare. Even they are not on the same floor but they always bumped into each other almost every week especially Monday as Gary will come to visit Haha. 
There is time when Jihyo almost fell on the floor as she tried to escape from Gary's sight but she maybe unlucky cause the sound that she made brings attention to him. When Jihyo able to stand back, she saw the expresionless man standing at her back as watching her pace quickly to her desk.
"Of course we will help you. We are a team. So what you had on your mind?"
"Er..i still in preparing the framework, i promise to bring to you next week."

"Jihyo ah, may i ask you something?" Shim Min Ah who sits next to her whispers.
"What?"
"Are you really working on the framework? Do you need my help?"
"Hmm..actually i had none. I had to tell them as Hyuna is kept nagging at me."
"Yes. I pity at you. By the way, are you following me tonight?"
"Oh of course! You know this is my dream when i am working i will go and hangout with my collegue afterwork."
"Luckily we are neighbour now.." Both of them continue giggling like two students who is chatting behind the class and afraid been caught by teacher. Actually due to distance from Jihyo's parents' house with her office is quite far, Jihyo had to rent an apartment studio nearby. It will be easy for her during her trial period as she will be following Director Ha to their factory early morning or late evening. 

It was very loud at the club. Jihyo is not new to this as she always had good time with her friends and Kwangsoo before at the club. Today is a special day as they are celebrating their team mate's birthday. Jihyo is allowing herself to be tipsy tonight.
"Who is that guy?" Jihyo asks MinAh when she came back to her seat. She saw MinAh is talking to one man before.
"Oh..that is..my friend."
"Looks like familiar.." Jihyo tries to see clearly then she said in her high pitch tone, "is that WooBin, the one from IT department?" of course it cause attention to other member as well. MinAh was flustered.
"No..you are drunk. How can he will be here?" 
"Of course he can. The club is popular among KG Comm. You know our CEO is VIP member here." HeeChul added
"Why must he be here? Aishh.." Jihyo sighed. She then excused herself to ladies. While on her way, she accidentally bump at the back of a man.
"Sor.." Jihyo stops at her words when the man turns.
"Song Jihyo! What are you doing here?" Gary is hugging another lady by his side.
"I..i..why would i say my reason to be here to you? Its not your place." Jihyo said it loudly before she walks to the ladies. Suddenly she feel relieved and satisfied. "Good Song Jihyo! you can do this. He is not scary anymore!"
After few rounds of drink, Jihyo joins her friends to have a feel of blast of music by dance on the floor. She is really tipsy at that time when a young guy approaches her.
"Miss, our brother would like to treat you." He leans closely to her and shows her the direction of his 'brother'. Jihyo looks at the man at the VIP lounge and smirks at him. Even she is drunk now, she can clearly see the man who cause her nightmare since 2 months ago. She grabs the young man jacket and whispers to him, "Tell your brother, this is not his territory and i didn't sign any contract to be here. Tell him to spare the money to other woman. I'm not intrested."
Jihyo smiles widely after seeing Gary pushes the young man aside few minutes later.

Jihyo wakes up with severe headache. She squints her eyes due to the sunlight. She cannot remember how she gets to her home. She notices her clothes been changed and her dress from last night already insidee the laundry basket. 
"Arghh! This headache is really killing me. I should not get drunk again." She quickly preparing herself for works. Before she exits the room, something caught her eyes.
"Whose phone is this?" Jihyo takes the phone from couch. She examines the phone, not familiar with it.
"Must be the person who send me home last night. I should bring this.."

Soon after Jihyo reaches her desk, she been called by Director Ha to his office. He is asking Jihyo to tagging with him to visit their few outlets today. After discussed few plans, Jihyo excused herself. It was then a ring from a phone on her desk distracts her focus at work.
"Oh, might be the owner.." She picks up the phone and at the same time glancing at her surrounding to detect the owner.
"Hello." Jihyo answers the phone.
"Hello. May i know if you keep my phone now? Where are you?" A voice at the end of the phone sounds familiar to her.
"I..i'm working now. Is it possible for me to pass it to you later or maybe you can come here by yourself?"
"Ah..actually i really needed the phone today. Where you working at? If its nearby then i can take it then?"
"Hold on. Why did your phone was at my home this morning? Aren't you my team member? Just come here and pick up this phone. I'm going outside today."
"Song Jihyo?" Then only Jihyo realized the tone of the voice.
"CEO Ga..ry?" She stutters to reply and ended the call. Her hands are trembling, she throw the phone on her desk. Few seconds later, her desk phone ringing.
"Song Jihyo! Come to my room now. Bring my phone back!" Gary practically yelling at the phone.

It was silent in the room. It is first time for her to be here. Since she enters the room, she can't raise her head. Memory of last night at club came like a flashlight. How she rejected this man and how she confindently sure she is no more afraid of him.
"Have a good sleep last night? At least, you should say thank you."
"Mr Kang, can we just stop here. I'm not comfortable with it."
"What? You seem brave enough last night? Its been a while people talk to me in that tone. People who i see her at that day time and can boss her around.I think you really can act now. Daytime innocent, night time you are loud, impulsive."
"I'm sorry about last night. I talk nonsense when i am drunk. But..but..may i know how you ended up at my place? Is..is..anything happen?" Jihyo can't help to imagine few things about last night.
"What do you think? Bad girl.." Gary already stand in front of her. He raised Jihyo's chin slowly. His unchanged face made Jihyo more nervous about his action.
"Stop it! Don't you dare to touch me. Whatever happen last night just keep it that way. Don't think that i am your staff and you paid me, i will be a cheap woman. If you ever raise about this thing again, i would not hesitate to find your DNA at my house and reported it!" Jihyo pushes his hand and glared at him. She left the man dumbfounded. She is angry with him as her thought of him who bring her back last night and change her clothes. But she also angry to herself for being so careless.

"Oh Song Jihyo! Where have you been? Director Ha is looking for you." asks MinAh.
"I have some errand to do. Did he left already?"
"I dont think so. By the way, i can't believe your action last night."
"What happened? I totally passed out and can't remember anything this morning."
"We bring you home last night. You are talking nonsense all the way."
"We? Who?"
"Me and Yoona actually. But there is also..

Flashback
"Aishh..Jihyo ah. Why are you so heavy?" Yoona keep complaining to her friend while MinAh watched over the road for a cab to send them. 
"I..need..this..ahh!" Jihyo was shouting loudly and attempt to her dress.
"Yah! What are you doing? MinAh ah, if there is no cab yet? I think i can't hold her anymore."
"Just bear with it few minutes. I will call the cab," MinAh just about to look for her phone when a car stopped in front of her.
"Do you need a lift?" A young guy earlier who talked to Jihyo in the club was in the driver's seat
.
"Oh, Seojun ssi. You are our CEO's assistant right? Actually my friend here is quite drunk and we can't find any cab by now."
Seojun talks with someone at the back of the car before he lets them inside. To MinAh's surprise, Gary was inside and he already change his seat to front. The atmosphere was silent. Jihyo was sleeping at her friend's lap.
"Is this the building?" Seojun's word break the silence.
"Ah yes. Thank you for the lift." While they trying to grab Jihyo's out, a hand stopped them.
"It will be difficult for both of you to carry her. Tell me which is her unit." Gary already lift Jihyo at his back while the other lady escorting him to her floor. While on their way, Jihyo starts to talk nonsense again despite closing her eyes.
"Yah ahjussi! Why you carry me? I'm not a kid..i am a big girl now. I already got a job. Let me go!" Jihyo was struggling to release herself but Gary kept his hold onto her.

"Jihyo ah..just stay still."
"Oh Yoona ah, why you said in that tone! Same like our boss...haha. You know what, i talk to him at club. He can't scold me..again. His face..haha. His face is as cold as his heart! Is he a human?"
"Gary ssi. This is the unit. You can left her here.
"Just open the door.." Gary instructed them to it and after they enter the unit, Jihyo pukes at Gary. Gary was too shocked to realized it happened. 
"Sorry..sorry. Gary ssi, on behalf of my friend, we are sorry. Please don't take it that way." Yoona and MinAh were busy helping their boss to clean the mess on his jacket.
"Its okay, i just remove it. Please attend your friend there. She need to work tomorrow." Gary removes his jacket and left the unit. Accidentally while throwing the jacket on his arm side, his phone was left behind but no one noticed then.

End of flashback

"What? How about my clothes then?"
"You think he will touch you again after you puking at him? he left soon after he put you on the bed. Yoona had hard time to change you though."
Jihyo slumped her body to the chair. She closes her eyes tightly, tries to forget all of this misery.

Later, while she is on the way to the outlet, she receives a message on her phone.
'Did you find my DNA yet?' Even its just a message from unknown number but she is sure who the sender is. Few words that can make Jihyo had the feel even without having to face him. Shame. Regret. Fearful and wrong.
While having a deep thought, Jihyo came with an idea. her eyes shines with determination.
"Director Ha, i had something in my mind for the product!"

Gary reaches his penthouse after a long and tiring day meeting with group of foreign company. He lightly massage his neck while watching himself at the reflection over the glass window.
'His face is as cold as his heart! Is he a human?' Jihyo's words last night rings in his ear.
"You don't know how suffered am i with this face. You didn't damn know! Even a human face don't have a heart. Let me tell you the real human face!" Gary shout to the reflection. He didn't like people talk about his face, his attitude or anything that criticize him. His hand trembling due to the anger but his face just frowned a bit. No difference much. 
"Why can't i show it? Why can't i express what am i feeling? Please..please just remove this mask.." Tears flow down and he slowly closes his eyes, reminiscing bad memory of him.

Flasback
Little Gary was 6 years old when he saw his parents had a fight. He remember clearly that his mother claimed that he is the burden of their marriage. She cannot hide anymore in front of others that their marriage is a blessing one. The truth is his father just use her to produce an heir for him as to compete with his elder brother for inheritance.
"You want a kid? Just take him. I got enough of you." Mrs Kang left the room but Mr Kang able to stop him.
"Wait! He can't live without his mother. You should stay. Tell me how much you want to make you stay." 
Pang! Gary was shocked to see his mother slapped the old man's face. he starts to cry.
"I'm not buying this time. Just to ensure you, i will not claim for anything in future." 

After Gary and his father came back from Boston 2 years later, his father attitude towards him change. He tries to get close to him as he felt sorry for his son's condition. He cannot stop blaming himself for neglecting his own son. Due to pressure from both his grandparents, Gary's father remarried again. When all of members in his family thought that Gary can be healed emotionally with a love from his new mother, no one knew that Gary suffered more. He was abused physically and mentally. Its all happened when his father strictly tell his new mother that he can't have another child as he Don't want to hurt Gary. Eventhough that lady smiles with assurance but her evil plan already starts. Due to his expressionless face, his father didn't know about his suffering. He grew apart from his father. When he reaches 12 years old, his new mother convinces Mr Kang to send him school aboard. The relationship never been good since then.
End of flashback

"Woman are all same. Just a material for a man. Been use when its needed."
While having a deep though about his life, his phone ringing. looking at the caller ID, Gary sighed again.
"Yes father."
"Make sure you free your dinner time this Saturday. You got another arrangement with my friend's daughter."
"Just tell me time and place. I will be there." He quickly ended the call. His life didn't change much. Still been controlled by his father.
"Is there someone out there that can make me smile again? Life is hurt." He slowly doze off in his sorrow.