Chapter 23

Woman who can't cry, Man who can't smile
 

Chapter 23

“You cannot give up Shin Yin ah, remember he can’t chase you out before the term of the contract.” Mrs Kang assured Shin Yin who still in her room and refuse to go to the office.

“its hurt. No one ever slapped me like that..”

‘Aish this woman..such a crybaby..’

“Shin Yin ah, do you want him to continue hurt you like this? Show your power..what a woman can do.”

After few assurance words, Shin Yin make up her minds and waits for Gary in his car.

 

“Again? You are such a stone headed isn’t it?” Gary just ignore her and enters his car. Shin Yin quickly make her way inside.

“I’m sorry about yesterday. I should not say her name, I should be shameful after what she did for us. i..”

“You want to work that bad right? Meet Mrs Ahn at her office, she will guide you later.” Gary said while reading news from his ipad.

“Thank you. I promise to work hard. So..am I getting a place beside you?”

“are you planning on something? Don’t you ever dream..” Gary stares at her. Annoyed and anger.

“Arasso..”

“Remember you are not my wife in the office. So forget about special treatment. Don’t ever mentioned that we are husband and wife. You are just Wu Shin Yin.”

 

“So I’ve been told to guide you around this department and we will go around the building later..” Mrs Ahn brings Shin Yin to her respective department, Finance Department as Gary has appointed her to be in most challenging department he ever known.

“Sorry Mrs Ahn..will we go to big bosses’ office?”

“Why you need to visit them? You are not allowed to be on that floor.” Mrs Ahn looks at her from her big glasses.

“Oh..is there such things as that in this company? So big bosses will not identify their staff, I mean new staff like me..”

“We are aiming for big sale every term and targeted time so we don’t have any time for introduction session. Plus, you only communicate with your head of department and manager. Do your job well and get appointed as manager then only you see the bosses.” Mrs Ahn cut her words and walks away. Shin Yin pouted and drags her feet to follows the lady’s steps.

‘So Kang Gary, you want to avoid me? Fine, I will show you the real game..’

While entering the elevator, Shin Yin bumped into someone who is rushing inside. She looks at the man’s face and recognized him as one of the regular guest in Kang’s mansion. She smiles as the man bows for forgiveness.

“Oh? Shin Yin? What you are doing here?” Mrs Ahn looks at both of them with her suspicious look.

“Tae Oh ssi right? Its my first day today. Please teach me along..”

“I thought Kang…”

“So where is your office? I might come and visit in my free time.” Shin Yin quickly cuts his words as to avoid anymore suspicion and assumption. She had to tell him about her promise to Gary.

“Sure. So seeing Mrs Ahn here I bet you are in Finance department right?”

“yes. Okay, I will see you later.” She stops the conversation once they arrive at their floor.

 

Boston

Jihyo walks into her department when suddenly everyone pops out surprise and cheering for her.

“Congratulations!!!”

“Oh Manager Kim. You don’t have to do all this.” Jihyo blushing as she receives such a warm surprise to congratulate her as new board member.

“Its okay Jihyo ah..i have another surprise. No, sorry actually CEO Ji asks me to tell you this.”

“What is it?”

“Since you are one of the board member, we will be appointed as Manager in Corporate Affairs. You will be in same level.” Once Manager Kim finishes his talks, other people starts to applause again. Jihyo can’t help but smile widely and feel thankful for that. Suddenly Seojun come to her side this time with his signature smile while offering his handshake.

“Double celebration I guess? Congratulations.”

“thank you.” Jihyo took his hands and bows slightly to him. She can feel that he is not sincere in his speech.

“One day, I will show them what is your motive behind all this.” He whispers to her ear and Jihyo feel uneasy with that threats. She knows that she has to be careful with the people around her now. No one can be trust.

“Okay, so tonight I think Miss Song owe us something right?” Seojun shouts his wish to other in the office.

“I will treat all of you tonight. But lets continue to work first!” everyone sigh as Jihyo mentioned about work but they still resume back their works.

After a while, Jihyo who is clearing up her office to her new department receives a visit from Seojun. He took a seat on her desk while flipping some of files next to him.

“What are you doing?” Jihyo lost her patience

“Why you choose to be here? Boston? You are graduated from Kookje College University in Korea and your first career is a company in Korea. Work there for 4 years..oh, you are quite late to start your first career.” He smirks at her.

“I planned to further my study here and expand my career. And why should I tell you all this? “

“I know your background but it seem something fishy..within 4 years you got a raise to a better position compare with your position your started with. And today, here…I can see that the history is replay. “

“What are you trying to say? I got a raise by a bad way? Seriously why you always envy of me? There is many people out there that is more competent than me!”

“KG Comm is own by Kang Il Shik’s son and Kang Il Shik is one of board member here. If you know what he had done to my father’s company and to my family before, you will know why I dislike anyone that associate with Kang!” Seojun’s face change drastically. He stares at the woman in front of him.

“I don’t know anything about that and I swear that I am not one of his associate to do any harm to this company.”

“Then tell me why you left that company when you had good position there?”

“Its none of your business..”

“Fine. You will not tell me. You like it or not, I will always assume you are one of Kang’s associate because you replace as board member. You are replacing Kang Il Shik who always protect his belonging.” Seojun talks directly to her face before leaving her room. Jihyo’s heart pumping faster as she hearing that. She wants to talk back but she worries that might cause her secret to be revealed.

Seoul

Gary rarely have any idea to contribute to his company’s creative project. But suddenly it pops up in his mind after seeing Daemin’s drawing last night.

‘This is omma. I will talk to her everyday to tell her what I’ve been doing and I always tell her to come to me.’

“Ha Donghoon..come to my office first! “

Donghoon already took his seat together with few people in his department. They waiting patiently when Gary scribbled something on his ipad.

“When is the last time we launched our phone applications?” asks gary

“Two years back and the sales is reducing as our competitor keep coming with new idea.”

“Great! I need a good team for this project.” Gary starts to brief what he had in his mind just now.

“I-Miseu? Sound better right?” Donghoon suggests a name after hearing the briefing. Everyone nods his head.

“So I need our creative engineer and graphic designer to come with a proposal and sketch of the programme by next week.”

“CEO Kang, so you want us to create basically an interactive 3D image that can communicate with the owner of the phone? And the owner can upload the image of the person that she/he wants to talk?”

“Yes..with the voice of the person or any famous person in the world.”

“Its quite tough but we will try.” One of the staff reassure Gary. After few minutes of discussion, they leave Donghoon with gary in the room.

“You still miss her right?” Donghoon asks once he see Gary a bit calm.

“Only God know how much I miss her. I don’t know how I still survive today.” He keeps his eyes on his ipad.

“You become an old you now. Old Kang Gary before she came. Please..move on.”

“You think is that easy. Everytime I got home, I saw daemin..it remind me of her. My wrongs to her.” Gary now looks at Donghoon. A glint of regret can be seen in his eyes.

“Have you ever thought that she might got marry to someone else now? Its been a year and I don’t think she is in Korea anymore.”

“I know she will wait for me..someday, we will be together again. Don’t ever tell me to give up. “

 

Tae Oh brings Shin Yin to a restaurant nearby for lunch. To her surprise Mrs Kang already wait for them.

“Shin Yin ah, good to see you still smile on your first day.” Mrs Kang greet her before offering place next to her.

“Are you had a good term with your daughter in law now?” tae oh asking

“We always in good term. Because we have the same aim.”

“Did you tell her what is your plan?”

“She will agree to whatever I told.”

“Ommonim, what is this? What is your plan?”

“Shin Yin ah, we need to get the company. First, KG Comm..”

“What?! I don’t think beyond that. Ommonim, its wrong. Its Gary oppa’s and he will be disappointed if I did that to him.”

“You think he ever think about you? Tell me what position he put you in? Did he tell everyone who you are? And did he ever touch you since the marriage?”

“Its..its..” shin Yin feels ashamed when her mother in law told about her marriage in front of Tae Oh.

“he only thinks about his pride, money and remember that he still searching for that woman! Now tell me, what is your role to him? Nothing..soon Daemin will leave you also. You will lost him if you don’t have power. Make Gary left with nothing and he will plead you to take him back.”

Shin Yin recalls all the scolding, hitting and humiliation that she receive from Gary since a year ago. And how her relationship with Daemin getting worst. She finds the truth in Mrs Kang’s words. She need to do this to get her rights.

“What should I do?”slowly Shin Yin replies which make Mrs Kang to smile widely.

 

“Madam Lee, where is Daemin?” Mr Kang enters the playroom and looking for his grandson.

“He is in his room. He just having his lunch. You are early today Mr Kang?”

“I had headache since this morning. Can you send my medication to his room later? I need to see him.”

“Sure Mr Kang.”

Mr Kang made his way to Daemin’s room. He really fond of this boy even before he knew that he is Gary’s son. He felt sorry for that boy who is lack of mother’s love. Shin Yin really try hard to love him but Daemin still cannot accept her as he still blame her for causing her mother to leave him.

“daemin ah..” Mr kang opens the door slowly.

“Harabeoji. You are home?” he runs and hugs him.

“I want to spend time with you today. How is your school today?”

“Hmm.. I cannot finish my essay. So teacher asks me to write it at home and give to her tomorrow.”

“Why? Is it hard? You want me to help you?”

Mr Kang reads the topic on the paper. He sighed and caress Daemin’s back.

My Parents

“Daemin ah, come. I will help you.”

“I cannot write as I don’t know who is my mother? Why I have 2 mother?”

Mr Kang brings Daemin to the bed. While hugging him, he starts to talk..

“Your mother is a nice person, she able to make your father’s heart change. She will make everyone around her is comfortable. She is an efficient, loveable. She had lots of love to give and willing to sacrifice anything to person she loves. “

“Is that omma?” daemin looks at Mr Kang’s face.

“You know by your heart who is she. I bet she is happy now.”

“Where is omma? Daemin wants to see her..” He is pouting and Mr Kang looks at his sulking look. Same like Gary few years ago when he is asking for his mother. It makes him sad as it happen again today. He didn’t know what happened to him today but he feels like to tell this boy something.

“She is going to find your halmeoni…”suddenly he feel his vision is dark and the only things he hears is Daemin’s cries before he collapsed next to him.

“Harabeoji!!!”