Chapter 3

Woman who can't cry, Man who can't smile

Its been 4 days after the interview. Jihyo is helping her parents at their convenience store when a notification sound from her phone ring. She looksat her phone lazily.
"Must be another promo email.." She mumbled alone but after reading that enail her eyeswidened.
"Omma! Appa!" She screams loudly which cause attention from the customers inside. Her mother almost slipped on the floor hearing that scream while her father just looks out for her from the counter. She had been working in the store on and off since she graduated. Her father bought the store from his friends as his retirement gift. Indeed the family bring up the store for more business.
"Yah Song Ji Hyo! What with the scream?" Her mother walks to her and doesn't forget to hit her shoulder once.
"Ouch! Omma..its hurt. Omma, i got the email from the company i went for interview last Wednesday. They ask me to come to the company tomorrow. I got hired!" Jihyo jumping like a small kid while hugging her mother tightly.
"Really? Yeobo, you heard that?" Her mother still in her surprised state while her father smiles proudly from the counter.
"I know my princess will do well. Look whose daughter is that!" Her father laugh happily.
"Jihyo got her job already?" One of their regular customer interrupted. "Where are you working dear?"
"Mrs Lee..its KG Comm." Tells Jihyo proudly.
"Woah! That is big company. For sure you got big luck this time."
"But i heard they really strict about their staff. Every month they will fire at least one. I wonder how strict the contract will be." Another customer chip in.
"Aigo..aigo..my daughter is not yet having her first day at work but you guys already scared her. Don't worry, i know my daughter can choose well in her life." Mr Song tries to calm Jihyo.
"Jihyo ah, just left the things here. Go and shop some clothes for your work. You need to prepare yourself." Her mother reassured here and push her to the door.
"Okay, i'll get going then. Bye!" Jihyo left the store with a wide smile.

The next day


Jihyo enters the building with a confindent step. The feeling of coming back again to this place for sure bring more victory to herself. She was waiting for someone at the lobby area when a middle age lady approaches her.
"Song Jihyo ssi?" Jihyo nodded and bows to her.
"Nice to meet you. Welcome to KG Comm. I am Mrs Park, the personal assistant for your team director manager. Now you can follow me, i will show you around." They enter the elevator and exits to 6th floor.
"So basically now you are hired under our team, under Director Ha. So before i go further about this team, i'm sure you had done some homework about KG Comm."
"KG Comm is branch of Celesta Tech, one of three big electronic company in Korea. This company focusing on IT product and telecommunication. As in 2011, Korea had listed this company as the most widest coverage of telecommunication service in Asia and Europe while not forgetting the biggest sale in its product."
"You did such a detail listing. Before we procedd with the contract, i will introduce you to our team member.this way please."
"For our team, the floor will be the 6th until 8th floor. The CEO and the President room will be on the top floor, the 12th floor. There is few teams in this company but for our team, its focus on brand and product. So we are needed an engineer just like you to come out for new product. There is also IT team, Marketing team, Accounting team which had their own vision."
"So basically if our team didn't have new product, other team will be affected?"
"Yes. And that is what happened to few of our team member. You will be fired."
Jihyo widened her eyes. Seem what people are talking about this company are true. Later. Mrs Park bring her to meet few of members on the floor before proceed to meeting room where a man is sitting on the chair waiting for someone.
"So this is our director manager, Mr Ha DongHoon." Jihyo and Haha exchange bow before shake their hand.
"Song Jihyo ssi welcome to KG Comm. Hopefully you had heard the good things about our team."
"Yes. Don't worry and i'm ready for anything."
"Okay, i will give you the company's contract and you can go through it slowly. Its okay we can have a talk in between if you had any query."
Jihyo read the clause stated in the contract, occasionally she will frown a bit when there is some rules that bother her.
"Basically our job is to please our CEO and to be honest it is very difficult. You had to undergo 3 months of trial before we start to pay your actual salary. And the promotion is based on performance." Mrs Park just nodded her head as agreement to Haha.
"Do you know our CEO?" Haha ask out of sudden. Jihyo shakes her head.
"Really? You know about our company but you didn't know him? His face is quite number in magazine.." Mrs park added.
"I'm sure if you met him somewhere your feeling is like..arghh..Omo! Am i too exaggerated?" Haha pause from his action as he worried he might scared Jihyo.
"But he is scary person. Only close person to him will know about his emotion because..he is expressionless.." Haha whispers to her. Jihyo smiles as she finds its funny.
"May i know what is the reason for few staffs that been fired before?"
"Oh..that. The recent one because plagiarism. The staff use the other company product as her reference. And our CEO not liking it. And also there is some of them been caught as lover.."
"Lover? Is that the meaning of the clause : it is prohibited among the staff to have any realtionship apart from business."
"Yes. Actually that's why most of us are single here included our CEO. As you know we are branch from. Celesta Tech, so our contract is made from our president, owner of Celesta Tech, our CEO's father."
"Song Jihyo ssi, you are lucky because our team director is very talkative and friendly. He is close to our CEO by the way."
"I'm not believe you had to treat people in different way based on their status. That is what i'm practising in my team. But if you breach the contract or really make our CEO unhappy i can't help it. So anything from the contract you are not sure?"
"I already go through it and i think i already kept that in mind."
"So you can sign here." Mrs Park shows to Jihyo witnessing by Haha.
" Welcome to our team! Hope you can give the best here.."
"Thank you. I really looking forward to work with you guys here."

Mrs. Park brought Jihyo to her table and left her there. Few minutes later a group of staff surrounding her and start to introduce themselves. Jihyo can feel the warmth in their welcome. Then a young lady approachs the table.
"You are new staff member?" Jihyo nods her head while bow to her.
"Don't bow to me. I am younger than you. I supposed. Kim Hyuna." 
"Song Jihyo."
" the rule here..people always listen to me. Don't be arrogant or else you will finish. And..." She stop before she lean close to Jihyo, ".. Stay away from CEO. He is mine!" 
Jihyo frowned at her but later made an awkard smile. Just few minutes ago she heard all the scary and bad things about their CEO but here there are, a lady who like him.
"We will have a meeting in an hour. Be prepared newbie!" said Hyuna before left the table.

Few of the team members whispering to each other on the way to the meeting room. From what heard by Jihyo, the meeting will be chair by CEO itself and it is very rare for them to have a meeting with him. Usually when they had one it because the failure of the product but seem its not because of it as they had not come for anything since few months ago. On the way to meeting room, Jihyo see few frames of picture hanging on the wall. She reads all the name of board director member while walking towards the door. Until she reaches the last two pictures. She reads the title at the bottom of the frame before looking at the face. 
'CEO. Kang Gary. What a weird name? Is he a foreigner or what?' Jihyo laughs inside but her eyes widened later after she looks on the picture.
'What?! Is he the CEO? Oh my god!what am i doing here? Wait..should i run away? Maybe he didn't recognized me. What am i going to do?' Jihyo was panic and she starts to trembling inside. Other team member already enter the room only left her alone. She turns ahead, tries to run away but her step froze when he saw Gary in front of him.
"Are you joining us?" Asks Gary. Jihyo nodded and follow him entering the room.

The meeting was tense. Gary kept blaming everyone from the team for the failure of the sale. Nobody able to answer him back, just kept silent. Even manager Ha just sit still on his chair. After 1 hour, they wrapped up the meeting. Jihyo runs slowly following others to the door when he heard Gary talks to her director.
"Ha Donghoon. I heard you had new member today? Will she disappoint us?" Gary purposedly ask Haha loudly while still looking through his paperwork.
"Oh yes. Here she is. Song Jihyo ssi, meet our CEO." Jihyo had to force herself to the direction. She bows to the man.
"Song Jihyo is it? what do you think about my company?" Gary purposely higlighting the word 'my'.
"Its a good and establish company. I'm proud to be here."
"Don't be proud yet. You had long milestone to go. Prove to me you are useful in this 3 months. We are not hiring a dummy carries their scroll pretending to be an engineer. understand?" He speaks in his stern voice.
"Yes. I understand."
"I will be seeing you in 3 months with your own product to represent our company. If not then i don't need you here."
Jihyo starts to feel the stress from the voice itself but she able to hold it.
"And i really hate the liar. Remember that. If you want to quit now, you consider to breach the contract that been signed right?"
Automatically Jihyo reminds on the clause from the contract.If the occupant quit or missing from their job by their own willing, he/she is consider to breach the contract. And those who breach the contract need to pay the rep money which is worth of 3 times their actual salary.
Jihyo nods her head, her hands start to sweat in anxious.
" now go back to work.i will meet you in 3months." Gary said without looking at her face. After Jihyo left the room, Haha who is watching the scene just now start to question his friend.
"What is that?why are you treating her like that? You are the one who ask for her during the interview."
"This is my company and she is my staff now. I want to show her how we work here." Gary replied in his cold tone. Inside his heart, he really satisfied today.

 

 

Author notes: FYi the storyline starts in current time which is 2012.