Chapter 1

Woman who can't cry, Man who can't smile

One autumn day in 1980, M Hospital, Seoul

Mrs Song was worried, she is carrying her daughter while awaiting outside the doctor's room. Its common for a parent to worry about their first child plus she just delivered 3 months ago when she noticed the problem that her daughter had.
"Jihyo ah, its okay. there should be normal  result." She talks to her daughter who sleeping comfortably in her arms.
"Why they take so long to call us?" This time, Mr Song voice out his concern. He also worried about the result of the test. Not long after that, the couple been called inside the doctor's room.
"Mr Song, Mrs Song. From what we examine your daughter just now, we don't see any serious illness that she might have."
"Might? So there is possibility of anything?" Mrs Song interrupted but been stopped by her husband.
"Its not like that. She is having some problem with her eyes. As your concern, she didn't have any tears flowing since birth. Her brain is functioning well which it means the emotion is presence but the place which produce the tears is malfunction. That cause this problem. Yes, she might had the problem later. Absence of tears will cause irritation to the eyes and she will have lack of protection towards her lens. Unfortunately, she will need long term treatment to overcome this."
"Only medication? Is there any surgery that can help?"
"This condition is very rare. So far no surgical option for that." Mrs Song watched her daughter's face while listening to the explaination. She appeared calm but her husband knew her well. She is unhappy about it.

March 1983, J Hospital, Boston


"How is he?" Mr Kang approaches the doctor who just exit the intensive care unit. Since his wife leaving him 2 years ago, he never been as concerned as this to his own son. He will totally push the responsibility to his assistant and the baby sitter. Gary was only 7 years old. Living as only child to the heir of big company in Korea made his life more pitiful. After his mother left them, they left to Boston as his father need to take care of the business here. Unfortunately, lives at foreign land cause Gary to suffer few episodes of high grade fever. Blame the neglicence and lack of concern by his father that lead to this problem.
For this current illness, its the worst. Gary was found unconscious in his room after having bout of high grade fever which is unnoticed by his maid. The next day, he was turn into coma and required breathing support. After a week on support, Gary able to wake up. Even the first thing he asks is his father but only his assistant was there. Only today, his father able to visit him.
"Mr Kang, i hope you make some time for your son." The doctor's words gave a sharp point to Mr Kang's ears but he tried to ignore it.
"Is he able to go home today?"
"We might put him on few session of rehabilitation. He is having some muscle weakness due to the infection if the problem persists he might having paralysis in future."
"Paralysed? How serious is his condition?"
The doctor sighed before continue to explain. "As we told you before, he is having infection to his brain and as a consequence, he is suffering from muscle weakness. So far after intial rehab, we can see improvement to his bigger muscle such as his arms, legs amd chest but.."
"But?"
"His facial muscle seem had lost its function totally. Only few been spared. He might have difficulty to move his face muscle in future."
"Doctor, whatever the cost it, please treat him well. Just do more rehab for him."
"Its not about the money. Its you. You can help us in few session. He just a child. How can you just left him behind?"
"Its not i'm refuse to see him but my work.."
"Mr Kang, its not my first time to treat him. And you still give me the same reason." The room is fill with silent. Mr Kang then excused himself to see his son.
Gary was sleeping when his father enters the room. Mr Kang took seat beside his bed and slowly touches his son's hand. Tears start to flow when the skin made contact.
"I'm sorry..you had to suffer this much. We should stop hoping..hoping your mother will come back."