Chapter 19

Woman who can't cry, Man who can't smile

"Why are you a bit space out today? Anything bothered you?" Asks Gary when he joins Jihyo on the bed.
"Huh? What is it oppa?"
"There you go..what's wrong with you?"
"Nothing..its nothing oppa. I'm just tired from work. You know our new product just launches this week, so our team still busy with post production."
"Its going well right? Oh please..don't talk about work at home." Gary sigh as he turns to lie on his pillow. Jihyo just watching him as he starts to scroll from his phone.
"How about your outing with Daemin today?" Asks Jihyo. 
"Its fun. I never thought he is so smart. He just three but he talks a lot. Everyone easily found his charm. Aishh..that boy. I bet he is too tired today, follows me the whole day."
"Yeah. He is that kind of boy. My boy.." Jihyo smiles unknowingly, tries to calm her worries for past 2 weeks.
"Our boy. Remember that. By the way, look at this picture. Our smile is similar right? He is totally following my style. I sent this picture to Father, he also mentioned the same thing."
"Oh my god. Now i am jealous with that. I wish i had a daughter who is carbon copy of me!"
"What? Your own daughter? Do youwant it now? I can fulfill your wish." Gary tries to get close to her but before he able to move, Jihyo already smacks his head.
"Go to sleep! We have a long day tomorrow." Jihyo already pulls the blanket over her head leaving Gary alone.
"Good night..honey." Jihyo tries to find her own calm that night. She is worried about Daemin but she can't tell Gary. She worried Shin Yin will take Daemin from them and she also worried Gary might do something to that woman if he knows about it. She don't dare to take the happiness from Gary after a long time he lives in dark and gloomy life.

They are arriving at the mansion. Tonight, Jihyo's family is invited to Kang Mansion. It is the first meeting of both family. Jihyo is busy to make sure the suit of her father while her mother keep looking at the rear mirror.
"Why am i the one nervous here? Should i be here?" Kwangsoo breaks the silence.
"I want to introduce you to them. We are becoming a family right?"
"Where is Gary hyung?"
"He will be here in a while. He is preparing Daemin at home."
After a while, 2 men come towards them. They ushered the family to the waiting hall. Jihyo is mesmerized with the design inside the house. Never in her life been dream about living in this house.
"Good evening.." A middle age man enters the room with his walking stick. Next to him, there is a lady who shows off her elegant and yet stern look. She assists the man towards them.
"Nice to meet you, Mr Song. I am glad you accept our invitation."
"Nice to meet you too. I am very grateful to receive that, you are very humble, sir."
"Don't call me that way. We are family..call me Il Shik. Kang Il Shik."
"Its very awkward to call informally like that. With your status.."
"Just kept the status aside. Because of Gary, i learn something from him. By the way, he still not here right?" Mr Kang turns to his wife. She shakes her head.
"Oh, this is my wife, Soo Jung." She bows her head lightly still kept her expression.
After a while, a door is open. Gary enters the room together with Daemin who clings on his hand but soon after he see Jihyo in that room. He runs towards her.
"Omma!!" Jihyo hugs him tightly before place him next to her. Gary approaches the family and bow to both elder.
"Sorry i am late. So can we proceed to dining room?"

Its still awkward at dining room. Its only Daemin who breaks the tension.
"Appa, whose house is this?" everyone looks at him. Gary pats his head and ready to answer before his father cut in.
"Its appa's home. Appa lives here."
"But your home is not here. You lives with omma and me."
"When i was as little as you, i live here with my appa. But when i'm growing up, i live at our home."
Daemin thought for a while. Gary thought he had finishes his question but then..
"I don't want to live without you. I don't want to grow up.." He starts tearing. Gary is panicking, he turns to Jihyo. 
"No..appa will not leave you. We will live together..forever." Gary carries him in his arm, to console him. Mr Kang smiles at them. Indeed, his son has his own soft spot on his heart. 
"I'm thinking of giving Kang's name to Daemin. He is very important in Gary's life now and also we can prevent if his real parents claim for his custody." Said Mr Kang. Jihyo looks at him and Gary.
"Mr Kang..don't you think this is too much. I am thinking that we are burdening your family." Jihyo voices out her concern.
"Jihyo ah, if Gary can accept him as his own son, why i can't i accept him as my own grandson? Its the only thing i can do for Gary"
"You have done much, Mr Kang. I feel relieved hearing that. To be honest, i'm really worried about how is your family acceptance towards Daemin."
"I bet now you can havea good sleep." Both of their father laugh happily. Gary looks into Jihyo'e eyes. A glint of happiness is shown on his face. Jihyo smiles proudly to him. Everyone is happy in the dining room except one lady who kept her eyes on her phone occasionally.
'Find for me the info about this boy! I will give you big money this time.'

After the dinner that night, both family become close. Although Song family still feel uneasy towards Mrs Kang but the humble and honesty of Mr Kang relieve them back. Both family agree for Gary and Jihyo to held an engagement before theirwedding. It just a cocktail dinner at Kang mansion with simple ceremony and they announced the date of their wedding which will be held in three months. 

Since their engagement, Jihyo is too preoccupied with the preparation of their wedding. It helps her to think about Daemin's mother. She and Gary really enjoying their moment together and keep counting for their big days. Jihyo is happy to see the relationship between Gary and his father but she knows she will have a tough time with his stepmother once they married. Mrs Kang will avoid any meeting or dinner with them but seem Gary didn't care much about it.

It is 2 weeks before their wedding. Jihyo as usual waiting for Daemin inside the car. She is planning to spend time with Daemin today and purposedly took leave. She is glancing on the road when she saw a lady stands at the roadside. She is holding a wrapped gift in her hand. After few hesitations, Jihyo musters up her courage to approach her.
"Why are you here?" Asks Jihyo to the lady which is enough to make her jump a bit.
"I..i'm sorry. But..who are you?" The lady answers her back. jihyo make a small laugh sarcastically before talks back.
"Shin Yin , do you think i will forget your face? The woman who left a baby at my home, hoping i will take over her job while she is hiding somewhere from her responsibility. And now, she is here. Thinking of get him back by winning his heart with some gift and bribes? Don't you care about my feelings? Are you that selfish that you make use of other people's kindness?"
Shin Yin just let her head low, facing the ground. She slowly faces Jihyo. A brim of tears can be seen threatening to flow down.
"I'm sorry, unnie. I never know you are suffering all this while. I can see you take care of him so well. To be honest, i just want to see him but i know, it wil be difficult for me to take him away from you. He really loves you and he don't want to leave you. Please unnie, let me have my time with him. You can follow us. I know he will be scared of me. I just want to hold his hand and spend my time with him. I promise, i wil not come into your life again."
Jihyo tries to find her honesty through her eyes. Indeed she is very soft hearted person. She can't stand to see other woman cries but she need to discuss with Gary. He will be mad if she let Shin Yin seeing the boy.
"I need to discuss with my fiancee. But you need to promise me, don't think of kidnapping him away from us."
"Thanks unnie. Don't worry. I won't do that.."

Gary is already at home when they arrive. Daemin is already sleep in her arms. Jihyo carries him inside when Gary stops her and take over from her.
"I will settle him. You go and shower. Come and join me for dinner afterwards."
Jihyo still arranging her words to talk to Gary. During the dinner, gary notices her unusual behaviour.
"Are you okay?"
"Ne.."
"I don't think so. Jihyo, we had promise to each other. We cannot hide any issue or problems by ourselves."
It takes few minutes for Jihyo to starts talk back.
"Oppa..what if..what if Daemin's mother, his real mother come and see him?"
Gary release his grip from Jihyo. He looks at her with a look similar like a look when his staffs made a mistake in the business deal.
"Listen oppa, she is back. She is seeing Daemin at his school. Today, i able to caught her and we had a talk.."
"You mean, she already saw Daemin for few days back?"
"Its been months..but i already told Daemin to avoid her. I never knew she will come again and again."
"What did she want?"
"She wants to have an outing with Daemin but..i think i will go together with them."
Gary is thinking hard. He release a deep sigh and turns back to face Jihyo.
"Can we trust her? I will follow you guys then. Aishh.. why she needs to appear now?"
"Oppa, you can just leave me with her. You will be busy before our wedding. Just focus on you job. I will update you every hour."
"But..how can i focus at job when you guys are going out with a stranger?"
"She is Daemin's mother. We need to realized that. She had the right."
"Right? Are you talking about the rights? For me, she lost ot since the day she left him behind."
Jihyo just keep silent. She takes the opportunity to clean up the dining table. She just left Gary and straight away enters the bedroom. She knows Gary had his own intention for saying that. He had the same worries as her. Shin Yin might up to some bad motives and they need to be sure about that.

It is a few days later since they avoided talking about the issue. Gary comes to her office that morning. He is holding an envelope and gives to Jihyo while he took the seat in front of her.
"What is this?" Asks Jihyo
"The document for custody. You can go and meet that woman. Asks her to sign that paper, i ask the lawyer to prepare that. This is the agreement for her to deny her custody towards Daemin. If she refuses, then you can't let her meet Daemin anymore. We will bring the issue to the court instead."
Jihyo blinks her eyes when she seeing the man talking. Its like she is trying to digesting bunches of information in one time.
"Are you listening to me?"
"Yes..yes oppa. I just shocked. I thought you will never allow us to meet."
"I'm not that cruel. But still we need to get something from this meeting. At least with this, we can rest in peace." 
"Thank you oppa for understanding."
"Now only i can see you smile! Don't think hard over this problem. We had a big day to go in few days, i don't want you to look grumpy and frowning at that time."
"Yah! Are you telling me i am losing my charm now?"
"No dear. You are always beautiful in my eyes but i just want you to keep this matter aside. Be happy okay?"
Jihyo smiles dearly to him, thanking God for let her meeting this man.