Chapter 13

Woman who can't cry, Man who can't smile

Dear readers, this is the short update from me and i need to find a good word to set up the mood. Spoiler: oh i hate to make a break up scene

 

Loud baby's cry wake Jihyo's up. She is sleeping on the couch as she gave the young lady and her son to sleep on her bed. Jihyo still cannot open her eyes plus the cry make her headache came. 
"Shin Yin ah...the..baby.." She speaks softly but still can be heard. after few minutes the baby's cries became persistent and louder. Jihyo sense something, she grabs the phone and look at the time. It is only 6am in the morning! She stands up in her annoying face as she had to wake up earlier for work.
"Shin Yin ah.." She calls the young lady but no one around. She carries the baby to comfort him while looking for the mother but no sign of the lady. She feel uneasy as she noticed the handbag carried by the lady last night also missing. While she is panicly runs around the house to find the woman, she found a letter attached to the door.

Dear Miss Jihyo,
I know by now you must be searching for me. As what i told you last night, i need to further my study and had a good job before i able to raise a kid. Having a baby at my age is a burden and it stops me from doing everything. I know you can raise him like your own, you really can understand my situation. Sorry to burden you but i will come back again for Daemin, to be a better for him. I trust you, please take care of him well. Hope he will bring you a good fortune.

Shin Yin

"No..no..you can't do this! Oh my god! What should  i do with you?" Jihyo stares at the baby in her arm. her heart stumps faster when hearing the baby cried louder as sensing his mother leaving him behind.

Flashback
"You can take this. And let me help you carry the baby." Jihyo passed the towel to the young lady who is still sobbing. She slowly gives her child to Jihyo although she is hesitant at first.
After offering her a hot drinks, they sat on the couch. The lady seem more calm, so jihyo take the opportunity to ask her.
"What is your name?" 
"I..i am..Lee Shin Yin."
"Oh i am Song Jihyo. Your accent of speaking Korean is different. Where are you from?"

"I am university student here. My parents is in Taiwan."
"So you are chinese? But you seem know Korean words a lot. May i know what happen to you?"
"I'm sorry if i disturbed you tonight. I..i am lost and i am really frustrated with my life now. I just been chased out from my apartment. I had to drop my course in university when i found out my pregnancy. I am worried about my baby bump and people will talk about me. I went back to Taiwan but..." She choked her tears again, Jihyo put her arm around her shoulder to comfort her.
"They..my parents disown me. They are mad when found out about the pregnancy. I had no choice but to come back here and find his father. Even my friends is no more friend to me. They cannot help me much. I delivered him and still owe the hospital bill till now. I look for a different job to raise a child but i frequently get fired as no employer can't accept their employee to bring a baby to work. until now i am suffering but i cannot blame Daemin. I cannot bear to see him crying all day."

"Shin Yin ah, i will help you what i could. We will find you a job. My parents owe a shop and they are looking for a worker. They will not mind if you keep the baby. And i think you should continue your study also. You should think about your future."
"Thanks unnie. I don't know what good deed i had done but God surely had send me an angel tonight to help us."
"Don't mention it. I will help what i can afford to."they smiles to each other. Jihyo watches as the baby slowly sleeping in his arm.
"How old he is?
"He is 6 months old. I am surprised he is quite healthy despite of our life."
"That shows how much you love him. He is cute. What happened to his father?"
Shin Yin shakes her head slowly, " i don't think he want him."

"At least he need to know. He had to take the responsibility."
"I don't want him to take my Daemin. Daemin should not know his father." Jihyo keep silent as hearing Shin Yin's words. She is determined lady for her child.

End of flashback

Gary waits at the lobby area. It is already 9 am but Jihyo still not reported to work. She didn't pick up her calls nor leaving any message. He calls Haha as he thought Jihyo might been there in her office already.
"Gary ah, she took leave today. I heard she is sick."
Gary quickly rushes to her house. He open the front door and looks for Jihyo but she is not around. While pacing inside the house, he noticed small blanket. He smells the blanket.
"It is a baby's. Why there is a baby in this house?" Gary mumbles alone. He took his phone and continue to dial her number. After few tries, jihyo picks up the phone.
"Baby, where are you? Donghoon said you are sick. I told you not to walk under heavy rain last night." He can heard a loud cry from a baby in background.
"Jihyo, where are you? Why i heard a baby?"
"Err..i..i'm at hospital oppa. There is a baby next to me."
"Oh..which hospital are you? I am coming."
"No need oppa. My cousin came in last night..she send me here. You had a meeting right today? Don't worry about me. I am going to my parents today." Jihyo had to lie to him. She know gary will be unhappy about this.
"Are you sure? Then tell me when you are coming back. I will fetch you."

Gary who still holding the blanket stares at it, " so this is her cousin's.." He is relieved knowing that his woman is alright. He drives back to his office.
Meanwhile, Jihyo felt bad for Gary as she had to lie. She is in the cab to her parents.
"Daemin ah, please be kind to me. I know you are a good boy, can you please calm down a little?"
"Miss..i think your baby is hungry." The taxi driver interupted her.
"Oh.." She took the bottle which she just bought together with the formula milk. She scratches her head as she tries to remember what the pharmacist teach her just now. Slowly, she finishes her very first formula milk recipe and smiles proudly. She pats Daemin to sleep while feeding him.
"Its not your baby right?" The taxi driver glances at the rear mirror to her.
"No..its not"
"I hope i am not helping you kidnapping the baby."
"What? No..no..i had to babysit him..for a while.." She smiles awkwardly to the driver, her minds already wandering around. How long will she going to keep the baby? Is Shin Yin really have her words? To come back again for Daemin?

"Did Gary know about this?" Mr Song already raise his voice. He really shocked when seeing his daughter came in front of their house this morning with a baby and after knowing the story, he can't help to be more panic than he had been.
"No..." Jihyo replied while her face shows that she feel sorry about that. Mrs Song is busy cleaning and feeding the baby.
"Tell him. You can't keep the baby alone. You know we also can't look after him for all the time. its been a long time since we had a small kid at home."
"But appa, Gary will be mad at me. I lied to him this morning."
"What?! Noona..how could you treat him like that? He is your boyfriend. You should tell him your problem."
"Yes its true. Beside, won't you guys are getting married soon?" Mrs Song appeared from her room after she able to make Daemin sleep.
"No omma. Not that soon..he may got marry with someone else. Who knows.."jihyo's voice trailed off.
"Is something happened between you guys?" Mr Song glares at her but Jihyo shakes her head. She is imagining herself in front of Gary now when she had to tell the truth. He will surely been mad.
"Noona, if you cannot solve the issue now, you had to choose."
"Choose? What is the choice?"
"Daemin or Gary? If you choose Daemin then call Gary and tell him the truth. If you choose Gary, i will take the baby to police and reported as neglected case. He will be send to an orphanage or better family."
"No! Daemin need to be with me. Her mother already put her trust on me. I can't betray her.." She shouts at her brother. Kwangsoo gives her the phone.
"Call Gary hyung.." Jihyo stares at her phone. She is shaking while reaching for the phone.

Gary glances at his car window to make sure his appeareance before he rings the bell of the door. Jihyo opens the door and before Gary able to speak up, she already hugs him tightly. 
"Why? Why are you crying?" Gary looks up at her face when they broke the hug. Jihyo brought him to the living room. He bows to both of her parents before he noticed a baby in her mother's arm.
"Is that your cousin's son?" Everyone smile awkwardly to him but Mr Song already glares at his daughter.
"Gary ah, i left you with Jihyo here. You guys need to have a talk." Mr Song tells him before he ushered his wife to their room. Actually Jihyo feel secured if bringing Gary here and tells the truth. She does not have a courage if she is alone with him.
"Oppa..i'm sorry. I am really sorry."
"Why? What happened?" He touches Jihyo's cheek and slowly wipes the tears.
"I lie to you this morning. I'm sorry oppa. Please don't be mad at me."
"Which part that you lie? About the nanny? So you really pregnant?" He sounds happy when thinking about the lie. Its truth that Jihyo made a call to Madam Park asking about the nanny as she heard that Madam Park just terminate the contract of a nanny recently but unknowingly Gary overheard the conversation and he made a call to Jihyo. He assuming Jihyo is pregnant and planning for her postnatal period but Jihyo denied it.
"Not that oppa. I'm still consuming the pills so i am not pregnant. But the part of my cousin's baby.." Gary feel disappointed with the statement but he still focusing on what Jihyo had to say.
"He is not my cousin's baby and my cousin didn't pay a visit to me last night."
"Who is he then?" Jihyo starts to tell the whole story last night. As she tells the truth, Gary's hand slowly leaving her side. He turns his head from Jihyo unable to hear the lie.
"So you decide to take him with you now?"
"I can't leave him oppa. He is a baby and i already make a promise with his mother."
"How can you trust that woman easily when you just barely know her? Its not even a day you guys seeing each other! and you didn't even care to tell me about all this. Am i not important in your life? Why must you ignore me in your decision?" Jihyo bites her lips, she is nervous and blaming herself. She didn't dare to look at Gary.
"Where she is studying?  i will go and find that wreck!"
"I..i..dont know oppa.."
"What?! Don't tell me you still unsure about her identity?" Jihyo nods her head slowly.
"Where is the baby? I will bring him to police tonight."
"No..no..oppa. Please, i beg you. Let me have him."
"Jihyo, listen. I can't bear to share our life with a kid who is not my own blood and flesh. He will be staying with us and he..he will destroy our happiness. Don't you think about it?"
"Oppa, please don't make me to choose. I'm sorry.."
Gary hold her cheeks and looks at her eyes which already teary. He is hurt seeing his woman crying like that. They stay like that for few minutes before Gary slowly let her go.
"Be happy with your decision. I am sorry i can't accept him." His voice is soft but it able to crashed jihyo's heart. Gary left the house leaving Jihyo who is sobbing hard behind.