Chapter 20

Against all expectations

Jessica and Yoona were walking towards Sooyoung's house. They holded hands and talked about school, friends or just anything possible, except what had happened with Yoona's family.

It was over a week after they had been in the hospital. Yoona had moved back to her home and everything was almost normal. They still had got little information, but the situation wasn't that bad. Right now it seemed more likely that Yoona could stay with her mom. Jessica wanted to think that way and hope for the best. 

 

The doorbell rang and Sooyoung opened the front door of her house. Her family lived in a terraced house, one of the few in the city. Sooyoung's heart leapt as she saw the girl by the door. Sunny came!

'Hello!' Sunny greeted smiling.

'Thanks for coming,' Sooyoung smiled.

'Of course. Happy birthday!' Sunny said and hugged Sooyoung. Sooyoung held her breath.

'Let's go to the backyard. The others will be here soon,' she said.

It was Sooyoung's birthday, so she and her friends had decided to meet in Sooyoung's house and do something fun together. Her family had left the house for a few hours.

'I have a present for you!' Sunny said and took a gift from her bag.

'Oh, you wouldn't have to,' Sooyoung said surprised and took the gift. 'Thank you Sunny!'

'You're welcome,' Sunny said and smiled.

 

After 20 minutes everybody had arrived. There were Sooyoung, Sunny, Onew, Jessica and Yoona. Sooyoung had wanted to hide this from Taeyeon, because it wasn't yet too easy for her to be with Taeyeon.

'So, what do you wanna do?' Sooyoung asked. They were all on the backyard.

'What people usually do in birthday parties. Let's play a game!' Onew replied.

'Don't tell me you wanna play truth or dare,' Jessica said glaring at Onew. 'Because then I'm not in.'

'Sica-unnie, you're boring!' Yoona said.

'That's right. High five!' Sooyoung said and she and Yoona did high five.

'You're supposed to be on my side!' Jessica complained to Yoona, pouting. Yoona laughed and leaned on Jessica's shoulder.

'So do we play truth or dare?' Sunny asked.

'No! You can play among yourselves. I watch,' Jessica said. She glanced at Yoona. 'And you're not playing either.'

'Unnie!' Yoona exclaimed and pouted.

'Sooyoung, do you have any food?' Jessica asked.

'Yes. I go get it,' Sooyoung said and left to the kitchen. Sunny watched her go. Then she stood up and went after her.

Onew watched Jessica and Yoona as they argued about the game. How he wished he would be on Yoona's place right now... To be Jessica's boyfriend.

 

'Oh, Sunny,' Sooyoung noticed the girl. She was pouring crisps to a bowl.

'I came to help you,' Sunny said and walked close to Sooyoung.

'Thanks. You can do this, I take strawberries from the fridge,' Sooyoung said pleased.

They prepared the foods having a small talk. Sooyoung glanced at Sunny once in a while.

'Um... Sooyoung?' Sunny suddenly said in a nervous tone.

'Yes?' Sooyoung said looking at Sunny.

The girl had stopped what she was doing and looked nervously at Sooyoung.

'I... I was wondering... if you'd like to go somewhere with me some day. Like, just you and me,' Sunny said with a shy smile.

Sooyoung stared at her. Was Sunny asking her out? Her heart started to beat faster for the thought.

'Not if you don't want to,' Sunny hastily said, when Sooyoung didn't answer. 'It was just an idea...'

'No! I want to,' Sooyoung exclaimed.

A big smile widened on Sunny's face. Sooyoung started to smile too. Still, she had to be sure of one thing.

'Would it be as friends or...' Sooyoung asked.

'...What do you want?' Sunny asked.

They stared at each other's eyes. Sunny came closer.

Say it! Tell her that you like her, Sooyoung told herself. She never said it to Taeyeon, before it was too late. This wouldn't end up the same way!

But it was Sunny, who opened first.

'I like you Sooyoung,' she said, eyes fixed in Sooyoung's.

'I was just about to say that!' Sooyoung blurted out and stuttered: 'I-I like you too...'

Sunny's eyes sparkled as she looked smiling at Sooyoung. She came closer to her.

'So as more than friends then?...' she said.

Sooyoung nodded. She couldn't believe this was true. Sunny liked her!

And before she noticed, Sunny had pressed her lips on her's and gave her a quick kiss.

Sunny chuckled at Sooyoung's surprised face. Then she took the bowls and left to the backyard. Sooyoung stood still for a while. She was so happy she wanted to scream. Then she took the rest of the food and hurried after Sunny.

 

Outside Sooyoung put the snacks on the table and hurried to Jessica, who had now stopped arguing with Yoona. She pulled her a little away from her girlfriend and leaned to whisper in her ear.

'Sunny kissed me!'

'What?' Jessica exclaimed and looked at Sooyoung's excited face.

Sooyoung quickly used her hand to cover Jessica's mouth.

'Not so loud!' she told. 'I'll tell you later.'

'What?' Yoona asked. She looked at them interested.

'Nothing! Let's just start playing,' Sooyoung said and hurried to the table, where Sunny and Onew already were.

'Unnieeeee... I wanna know,' Yoona begged from Jessica, twitching her arm.

'Later,' Jessica smiled and pecked Yoona on the lips.

They all went to sit by the table, which was now covered by snacks. Sooyoung and Sunny sat down next to each other. They glanced at the other smiling, but didn't say anything.

Jessica and Yoona had found a compromise about the game: the truth ot dare without the dare. The others agreed to that.

'Okay, let's start,' Sooyoung said. 'I'm first.'

She turned to look at Yoona an evil smile on her face.

'Yoona,' she said. Yoona nodded smiling nervously. 'Have you and Jessica had yet?'

'Yaaah!' Jessica exclaimed. 'You can't ask that!'

'Yes, I can! Yoona, yes or no?'

Yoona bit her lower lip and looked at Sooyoung.

'Don't answer!' Jessica told.

Everybody looked at Yoona. She knew she couldn't refuse from answering.

'No,' she answered briefly.

'Okay, next question!' Jessica hurried embarassed.

It was Yoona's turn.

'Jessica-unnie,' she turned to her girlfriend. 'Who was your first crush?'

Jessica looked quickly at everybody around the table.

'I don't answer that,' she said.

That caused commotion.

'You have to! You can't reject a question!' everybody protested.

Jessica glared at them.

'I hate this game,' she muttered.

They looked at Jessica waiting for an answer. Jessica sighed.

'Okay, it was Taeyeon. My turn!'

'What? You mean Tiffany's girlfriend?' Yoona and Sunny asked surprised.

'Yes. Now, Onew,' Jessica hurried. 'Who are you in love with right now?'

Onew didn't answer right away. He stared at Jessica, who stared back at him. Would Jessica believe him or would she think he's just repeating an old tape? But this time he was serious, more serious than ever.

He opened his mouth, but right then something happened.

'Wah!' Yoona exclaimed and leapt up from her chair. Sooyoung had sideswiped the whole bowl of chips down to her lap, and now there was chips all around her.

'Oh, I'm so sorry!' Sooyoung shouted and stood up. 'I clean it up! Come on Onew, let's get the cleaning stuff.'

She grapped Onew's arm and dragged him inside the house.

'What the hell?' Jessica shouted after them.

Sooyoung dragged Onew to the vestibule by the front door.

'You were gonna confess, right?' she asked.

'Yes,' Onew answered firmly. 'I want her to know.'

'Onew... She will only reject you!' Sooyoung said. 'Why can't you just let her go? I know it's hard, but look at me. I used to be in love with Taeyeon and now I'll have a date with Sunny.'

'It's different! You only started to like her like few months ago. I've liked Jessica forever!' Onew said.

'Can't you see how happy she is with Yoona? You can't go mess things up, they've had enough problems already.'

The doorbell rang. They saw a blur figure throung the door window. Sooyoung opened the door. Who was it now?

'Didn't invite me then, huh?'

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued!

This was so fun to write :D I think it didn't come out so well, though. It's mostly Sooyoung focus, hope you don't mind ^^

And Sooyoung actually had birthday just a few days ago. I didn't even know when I was writing this :D