Chapter 19

Against all expectations

'Do you have any idea where we should start?' Mr. Jung asked as he and Jessica walked down the staircase of their house on their way outside.

Jessica thought about it. The right answer was yes, but she was not sure if she should tell it to her dad.

'Yes. But we need to take a car,' she finally said.

'Where?'

'To... to her house,' Jessica said as they came out and headed to the parking lot. It was dark outside.

'You mean she's gone back home? Then why should we go look for her?' Mr. Jung asked. 'Wouldn't it be just good, if she was there?'

'No, dad you don't understand,' Jessica said. 'She left there for a reason. If they've forced her back and took her phone...'

Jessica didn't want to think about it. What if Yoona's stepfather had beat her up again?

Jessica hurried to their car. They had to find Yoona.

'What excactly happened with Yoona and her family?' Mr. Jung asked.

'I promised her I don't tell,' Jessica said.

They got in the car and started driving. Mr. Jung sighed.

'I'm not stupid Jessica. It's something serious or you wouldn't be that worried,' he said. 'Is it because Yoona doesn't want police to get involved?'

Jessica startled. Then she nodded.

'She doesn't want to cause any problems to her mom..'

'So it's about her dad?' Mr. Jung reasoned.

'No!...' Jessica denied, but realised that she had already revealed too much. She could as well tell her dad the rest. 'It's her stepfather. He... he's been hitting Yoona.'

Her dad shook his head angrily.

'You should've told me,' he said.

'I promised Yoona! She was afraid you'd call the police,' Jessica said.

'I surely would've,' Mr. Jung mumbled.

'Will you call them now?' Jessica asked.

Mr. Jung was quiet for a few seconds.

'Let's find her first and think about it afterwards,' he aswered.

Suddenly Jessica's phone rang. It took her one second to answer.

'Yoona?'

'Unnie?'

It was Yoona. Jessica felt so relieved to hear her voice.

'Where are you?' she asked.

'I'm sorry unnie,' Yoona said. It sounded like she was crying. 'I'm so sorry..'

'What? Where are you?' Jessica asked worried again.

'I'm in the hospital.'

'What?! Why? What happened?' Jessica screamed.

'I lost my phone and they didn't let me call until now.'

'Why are you in the hospital?!' Jessica started to freak out. Who cared about the phone now?

'I'm fine, but they wanted to examine me to be sure. C-Can you come here?' Yoona asked.

'I'm coming right now. Fifteen minutes,' Jessica said. The phone got cut off and Jessica turned to her dad.

'To the hospital!' she told, but her dad had already turned the car.

'What happened?' he asked.

'I don't know, but she says she's alright,' Jessica answered. She felt extremely nervous. She her seat, took her phone, put it away. Even though Yoona said she's alright Jessica felt now even more worried than before. Yoona had cried on the phone, but she hadn't told why or what had happened or anything! Jessica wanted to get to the hospital right now.

 

Jessica and her dad got into the hospital and asked for Yoona. After they were told where she was, they hurried there.

Jessica walked into some kind of waiting room and saw Yoona sitting on a bench.

'Jessica-unnie,' Yoona called, stood up and hurried towards Jessica. She didn't seem to be hurt.

'Yoona!' Jessica run to her and hugged her tightly. Yoona hugged her back.

'What happened?' Jessica asked.

Right then a doctor came into the room. Yoona looked at him.

'Except for the bruises, she's perfectly fine,' the doctor told and added to Yoona: 'You can go home as soon as your mother comes back.'

Jessica looked at Yoona. Had she guessed right? Had this something to do with Yoona's family?

Yoona stared at her toes.

'My mom broke up with him,' she started in a quiet voice. 'She called and told me and I went home to see her.'

Jessica and her dad listened to Yoona and didn't say anything.

'I think I lost my phone then, because I couldn't find it few hours later...... And then when I was leaving, my stepfather came there. He still had the key. He was all drunk and got mad when he saw me...'

Yoona was quiet for a while.

'Mom called the police,' she ended.

Jessica hid her face on Yoona's shoulder and hugged her.

'The police is talking with mom now,' Yoona added. 'But I'm alright. He was too drunk to hit properly, and I could avoid him.'

Nobody said anything for a long time. Yoona stoke Jessica's back trying to comfort her.

Door opened and someone came in. Jessica turned her head and saw Yoona's mom. Mrs. Im looked at everybody in the room.

'You must be Yoona's mom. I'm Jessica's dad, nice to meet you,' Mr. Jung started to speak. He stretched his hand out and he and Mrs. Im shook hands.

'It's good to meet you,' Mrs. Im said. 'Thanks for letting Yoona live in your house and taking care of her. But that won't be necessary anymore, and I'm taking her home now.'

Jessica tighened her hug on Yoona. She didn't want Yoona to go. Mrs. Im looked at her daughter.

'Can Jessica come with us?' Yoona asked from the two parents.

They both nodded. Jessica felt relieved and pulled a little away from Yoona.

They all walked outside and Mr. Jung drove them to Im's house, for they didn't have a car with them.

'See you tomorrow. Try to get some sleep,' Mr. Jung said to Jessica as she went out from the car. Jessica nodded and smiled to her dad.

Inside the house, Yoona took Jessica to her room and told her to wait there, until she had talked with her mom. After she was left alone, Jessica suddenly realised how exhausted she was. It was two o'clock in the morning, and it had happened so much, she had been so worried.

Jessica took off her sweater and opened her hair from a bun. She lied down on Yoona's bed under the cover.

 

When Yoona came back to her room, she saw Jessica sleeping in her bed. She smiled at the sight and started to change to more comfortable clothes. After changing she went to lie down next to Jessica.

Yoona stared at her girlfriend and  Jessica's hair gently. Maybe it was good that Jessica was sleeping. Yoona didn't want to tell her, not yet. She didn't want Jessica to worry anymore.

Her mother said that the police had been understanding, but there was still a possibility that they could take this forward.

A tear fell from Yoona's eye. She didn't want to be taken away from her mom. Then she had to be away from Jessica too, and the last thing she wanted right now was to lose Jessica. If the officers found her mom unable to take care of her...

'Yoona?' Jessica suddenly muttered, opened her eyes and looked at Yoona. 'Are you crying?'

'I'm just tired,' Yoona answered.

Jessica snuggled closer to her girlfriend.

'Everything is fine now. No one will hurt you anymore. It's over,' Jessica said and wrapped her arm around Yoona.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

So angst... I usually prefer writing happy stories xD But well, sometimes this way.

Warning: Only about two chapters left! Depends on how many ideas I'll get ^^