11. Wedding bells (Part 2)

Life is well

So there's going to be a part three too. Sorry about the lengthy chapter...


*

The next Monday, since they had exchanged numbers, Sung Gyu phoned up Hwayoung and asked her out for a dinner date. He was feeling nervous afterwards, having asked a girl out after about three years since he last went out with someone, and he was fidgety and jumpy the entire week. They made plans to go out for dinner on the Friday of that week nonetheless. Just the two of them. With Sung Gyu’s mother busy with her new business and father going out for fishing with his friends, it left only Eunji to take care of Sung Jae for that night. He had actually found a moment alone with Eunji to talk to her so that he could finally wash off the guilty feeling he’d been having since then. Sung Gyu wasn’t sure why he felt guilty even. But he somehow felt as though he was responsible of her somber disposition. So he spoke to her on Monday after he got home from work. The conversation went like this;

Sung Gyu; Miss Jung, can we talk for a bit?

Eunji; (Shrugging) Alright.

Sung Gyu: Are you upset about something? Did something happen yesterday?

Eunji; I told you, I was feeling unwell.

Sung Gyu; Are you sure?

Eunji; (Snapping, like a twig) what do you mean am I sure? I am certain I was unwell!

Sung Gyu; Oh…but you were okay that morning.

Eunji; No I was not! How would you know whether I was sick or not?

Sung Gyu; (After a moment of silence) Oh…you’re right. Yes. My bad.

Eunji; Are we done now?

Sung Gyu; why are you so snippy really.

Eunji; Am not! Can I go?

Sung Gyu; (Sighing) Alright. Be safe.

Eunji; (Quietly walks away)

After that conversation, Sung Gyu and Eunji hardly spoke again. Eunji seemed snappy and irritated the entire week, for a reason Sung gyu couldn’t fathom. He also realized that it shouldn’t be his business and tried his best to keep away and keep their acquaintanceship as employee and employer for the best. She was his best friend’s sister in law alright, but her business was none of his business. So he put up an unconcerned façade and went along with her, hoping that her snappiness would eventually go away.

As for Sung Jae, he was jolly well as he had always been. He was doing well at school, and the hell of a home room teacher had had nothing to complain about, miraculously. He had a parent-teacher meeting one afternoon, and the teacher had nothing to complain about that she began to drag out all the mischief he had done the previous term. Sung Gyu only shrugged it away, without making her attitude towards sung Jae an issue. After all, the school year ends in September so it was for the best to be in good terms with her. Sung Jae also seemed to like Hwayoung, so it was all good going.

The Friday night came about all too soon. Eunji was still irritated on that day, and was stomping about with a long face and hardly spoke a word, not even when Sung Gyu promised a pay raise again. He could only sigh in response. He decided to only let her be and go about with his day.

 So after coming home from work, Sung Gyu had a nice warm shower and got into the best suit he had, put his hair in a fancy up do and applied the best perfume he had on him. Afterwards he paced around the room for a few minutes, trying to calm his nerves down. A moment later, he realized that someone was staring at him from the doorway.

“Miss Jung?” Sung Gyu echoed, surprised out of his skin. Sung Gyu knew it so far that Eunji could do creepy things once in a while but he sure hadn’t expected her to be standing there like a dope in the door way.

Eunji was frozen for a moment, and then she cleared . “Boss, at what time will you come back?” She asked in a stern voice. “Because I need to tell Unnie an exact time to send Woohyun for me”

“Ah” Sung Gyu gave an understanding nod and looked down at his watch. “At ten? It would do”

“Alright” Eunji shrugged and turned to leave. She stood there for a moment, counting under her breath, trying to calm her nerves down while Sung Gyu gave a questioning look from behind her. She turned around then, and said; “Boss, your tie is crooked”

Sung Gyu looked down at it and sighed. “Oh…”

Eunji gestured with her hands. “Umm…may I-?”

“Oh, sure” Sung Gyu nodded, and in tiny steps, Eunji made it towards him and tugged at his collars, and brought his tie into place. While she did so, she said; “My mother always said, when you go out with a guy, always look if his tie is neat.”

“If it is?” Asked Sung Gyu conversationally.

Eunji looked up and met Sung Gyu’s gaze. There was a moment of quietness, while they both regarded each other, like they were contemplating where they stood, and finally Eunji stepped away.

“Then that means he has put an effort for her” Eunji said in the end.

 

“Keep the door locked!” Sung called from the door way once he was done and was finally leaving on his date. “And Miss Jung you don’t have to cook dinner. Just order take out. I left the card on the mantel piece”

“Yeah sure” Eunji said with a shrug.

“And I hope you’ll be alright?”

“I guess?”

Sung Gyu gave her his million dollar smile in return. “Okay…take care!” Then he stepped over to kiss Sung Jae on his head and soon, he was off.

*

The restaurant Sung gyu picked for the date was a rather extravagant place on the Namsang tower. The prices were a bit too much but worthwhile because he actually thought highly of his date this time. He knew it was a mistake to be as expectant as he was, regarding the last few times he was expectant about such things but he did quite put his faith on Hwayoung for some reason. He did quite have a good feeling about Hwayoung. Like she had come to stay.

He picked her up from her apartment in a suburban town near Namsang. Hwayoung was glamorously dressed in a beige suit which complemented her slightly golden skin and the almond shaped glistening eyes. He’d say that she took his breath away that night.

“You look great” Sung gyu commented as soon as Hwayoung got into the car.

“Do I?” Hwayoung gave a little embarrassed laugh. “Thank you! You yourself look dashing”

Sung Gyu laughed bashfully and drove out of the driveway.

“Do you mind if I put on the radio?”

“Of course not. Go ahead!”

Sung Gyu’s mother had previously gotten Hwayoung’s mother into a long conversation and had asked about her preferences and the like. He knew what her favorite food was, what she was allergic too, where she bought her clothes, where she worked at and also the kind of music that she liked. Therefore, he had downloaded the entire album of the latest release of her favorite band and had his phone connected to the car’s stereo set, so that, during the ride, they would be listening to her favorite singer. Tonight it was going to be all about her. Tonight it was going to a night that she would never forget.

When Hwayoung’s favorite band began to play, she looked up, eyes widened in surprise. “Oh that’s my favorite…” she trailed off and stared at him, something magical was shadowing her eyes. “Oh Sung Gyu Oppa…how did you…?”

Sung Gyu grinned in response. “I kind of asked around?”

“Really?” She squeaked in delight. “Nobody has ever done something like that for me! I never…”

“Because you are a special girl, Hwayoung” Sung Gyu said with a smile and reached over to squeeze her hand. “I just hope you would never forget this day”

*

 

The dinner was splendid. The restaurant they picked was really a remarkable place. Overlooking the Seoul city through the three-hundred-and-sixty-degree observatory, with its lights together with the glimmering neon lights of the tower was showering in through the crystallite panes, and sitting among the shadows Hwayoung’s silhouette was a beauty he would never forget. He and she talked about many things. They talked about work, and Sung Jae, and how wonderful they both felt that night. Sung gyu could feel it how they connected, how the strings of their hearts touched and entangled in a delightful bliss. It was a night not only her but he too, would never forget.

After having dinner, the two climbed to the top where the balcony was, where it was popular among lovers of all ages to put locks to secure their love to be eternally remembered. At night, awash by the luminous lights, the locks gave out a blinding shine, as though the love that they secured have come to life. Sitting together on a bench under the stars, Sung Gyu and Hwayoung watched the couples who passed by and how they put up locks of their own. Sung Gyu wondered if he would ever be able to do that, and while so, he turned to meet Hwayoung’s eyes, and she smiled before looking up at the starry sky.

“It’s been great, tonight” Said Hwayoung. Her voice being carried across in the wind. “I am happy after so long now…”

“Are you?” Sung Gyu asked, smiling. “Me too then…”

The sky was scattered of stars, big and small, the silvery shine of them blinking slowly and certain moved along in a gentle movement. Down below was the city of Seoul, still lively even on a cold winter night. Livelier than the stars perhaps, or it was because the shine was brighter that it seemed so. One could never tell.

“Is it hard?” Hwayoung asked after a pause. “Being a single parent?”

Sung Gyu mulled it for a moment. Was it hard? Was it difficult for him? “It’s unimaginable.” Sung gyu opted to say in the end. “I have no words to explain. It’s like running a marathon. Sometimes you want to do it, sometimes you’re too tired and wasted to go on, yet have to, nonetheless…It’s just this-this simplest thing, parenthood…But you know, we always overthink things and it suddenly seems complicated.”

“Do you enjoy it then?”

Sung Gyu shrugged. “It’s a significant part of my life” he said. “Sung Jae’s only parent is me. So my whole life is him”

“You are one unique person, really” Hwayoung said. “I have never seen such devotion coming from a father…”

“I didn’t choose to be one, that’s what differs us” Sung gyu replied. “Parenthood chose me. Sung Jae chose me. So it is my life now”

“It must be great to be Sung Jae then” Hwayoung responded, laughing as she spoke. “To be the son of a father like you…”

“I’ve never asked” Sung gyu smiled fondly at the thought. “But it pretty much seems like it”

*

Ever since Sung Gyu left the house, little Sung Jae’s been asking Eunji every passing second where he went, as though Eunji kept tab on everything his father did. Eunji couldn’t help but feel even more irate than she already was. She paced around the house, occasionally snapping at Sung Jae whenever he asked something, and tried to busy herself with household chores, trying to fathom the reason why she felt the way she did. She felt somehow betrayed, and annoyed, and a mixture of emotions which she couldn’t tell which and which. She wasn’t sure whether they had anything to with Sung Gyu being out on a date. All that she could think of was how unfortunate that she was still flying solo. In fact, she was certain that she was the only person of the entire universe who was neither on a date nor having . She was possibly the only one person of the whole of planet earth who was stuck in somebody else’s house, taking care of somebody else’s child while that somebody else was probably having hot or something by now. That thought alone was enough to set her tail on fire.

As night approached, Sung Jae got hungry and began to fidget around. He was too embarrassed to tell the baby sitter that he wished he had something to eat at that moment. So in hopes it passed the message to her, Sung Jae walked around and checked the fridge and all the cupboards of the pantries a several times. It took a few minutes for Eunji to notice this, and when she did, she actually felt bad about being angry at the child. He had nothing to do with her ill-fated single life, and it was unfair that she was imposing her wrath on him. So she waited and observed his doing for a few minutes, just because she wasn’t entirely convinced that it was unjust, what she did, and after a while she pulled out her phone and placed an order for Chinese food.

“Are you fine with Jajangmyeon, Jae?” Eunji called from the doorway to the kitchen. Sung Jae appeared after a while and nodded timidly. Feeling upset then, Eunji beckoned him towards her.

“Come here, we’ll play a game until the food comes, hm?”

“Okay” Sung Jae smiled, and Eunji sighed in response. It was kind of unsettling that his smile reminded her of someone. Someone that she didn’t want to be reminded of.

*

“Thank you for the date Sung Gyu Oppa!” Hwayoung said after Sung Gyu had driven into the apartment complex’s driveway. “It was truly a magical night”

“I hope you enjoyed” Sung Gyu said with a grin. “I mean, it wasn’t much, but-,”

“Are you kidding me?” Hwayoung said with a laugh. “It was one of the best nights of my life!”

“Really?” Sung Gyu laughed in response. “That’s just great to hear then…I’ll drop you a text tonight?”

“So eager to part, you” Hwayoung teased. “Missed Sung jae a lot?”

“Well, it’s not like I want to part” Sung Gyu sighed. “But a father’s job never ends…”

“Alright” Hwayoung smiled. “I wouldn’t keep you any longer” She leaned across the seat then and kissed softly on Sung Gyu’s cheek. It was the softest, gentlest touch, but was enough to send Sung Gyu’s heart flying. “Goodnight then?”

“Goodnight…” Sung gyu replied.

 

Sung Gyu went home that night, smiling to himself. It’s been years since he last felt this way, so loved and carefree, like he actually had a chance at romance again. He had tried before, but nobody had ever made him feel the way that Yoora did. But after Yoora abandoned him, after all the many days he suffered for a love he never received, and after he was left with all the memories they shared and a child, the only mark of their love, Sung Gyu couldn’t bring himself to love her again. There was an unsettling hatred growing inside him, towards her, a hatred which he wasn’t sure would go away. It wasn’t that he had a wrath against his son or anything. Sung Gyu loved him immensely, especially after the DNA test they did proved that he was the biological father indeed. The hate was towards the society, the reason which led Yoora to do what she did, and it was something which never really faded away. The love that Yoora gave him; that she made him feel back then could never be replaced. It was something he so carefully cherished. But tonight, he felt as though he could actually move on from her. Tonight he felt that he had gained a chance at love again.

He opened the door to his house subconsciously, his mind still rewinding the events of that night, of their first date. He could still recall how the touch of her lips on his cheek felt, as though it was still a fresh memory. Maybe it was, because it was a keep. Nonetheless, he wasn’t entirely in his right mind when he went home that night. He was drunk in all the bliss of romance.

So much so that he completely forgot that someone by the name of Jung Eunji did actually exist.

When he stepped in however, the entire house was quiet. The TV was , and the end of transmission music was playing on it. In the tranquil quiet of the house, even his footsteps sounded as a soundly echo, and he peeked into the living room, expecting to find his son up and maybe watching the end of transmission or something. But what he was greeted by was a rather adorable sight.

There was Sung Jae, and also there was Eunji, fast asleep on the new sheep skin carpet, his head resting in her lap and her sprawled against the sofa seat. Even in her sleep though, she was kneading Sung Jae’s scalp so gently with so much of care and affection. That only proved to him that he had indeed left his son in good hands. Sung Gyu stared at them for a moment, his heart completely at peace. Nonetheless, it came completely as a surprise to him when his heart skipped a beat when Eunji’s head fell to a side. Even more so when he moved, naturally but not on his accord. He moved towards her, his heart doing weird things as he did, and carefully he set her in a comfortable position. He didn’t even realize he was staring at her afterwards. Maybe he was still overwhelmed by all that which happened that day. He couldn’t be too sure. Sung gyu merely stared at Eunji like he had never seen her before. He noticed tiny details, like the curve of her nape and the color of her cheeks on a cold winter night. He thought she was kind of pretty. Only if she wasn’t so sassy and feisty, maybe he would have-,

“Hyung?” came a voice from the hallway, making Sung Gyu jumped. He turned around then, and saw Woohyun standing there, clad in about ten different layers of cloth, mittens and a beany.

“What the hell?” Sung gyu muttered, straightening up. “How did you get in? How did you know my pass code?”

“Everyone knows that it’s the same as your phone’s pin” Woohyun shrugged. Then he peeked behind Sung Gyu and widened his eyes. “Wait. Is that our Eunji?”

“Oh-oh…” Sung Gyu moved away, his ears turning red. “Well, she’s fallen asleep-.”

“Why are you in a suit?” Woohyun asked and stepped towards him. “And an expensive coat too…where were you…?” Then he gasped, pointing a finger onto his face. “Heol! You were on a date weren’t you!?!”

Sung Gyu didn’t respond. Verbally at least. But the tint on his cheeks and his smile said it all, which made Woohyun clap, jump and pull his best friend into a hug.

“You didn’t even tell me Hyung! You should have dropped a text at least!” Woohyun scolded. “Who’s the girl?”

Sung Gyu shrugged. “Well, you know…someone omma set me up with…”

“Oh…” Woohyun bit his lips. “Well, I hope it works well…” He said.

“It will” Sung Gyu argued, determined. “I will make it work out.”

Woohyun gave an earnest smile. “She must have stolen Hyung’s heart then...” He reached over and patted on his shoulder affectionately. “My best wishes are with you…”

Woohyun was a warm person with a kind heart, and it was a blessing to receive wishes from him. It was him who stood by him at that time when he was helplessly fallen into the trap after Yoora abandoned them. He was being a strength to him which Sung Gyu had never imagined. So he always believed that Woohyun was an angel in disguise. Disguised as a greasy, cheeky moron.

Woohyun drew a long breath through his teeth and looked over at where Eunji lied. “What are we going to do with our girl now?”

Waking up Eunji was equivalent to hell in Woohyun’s opinion. She was a heavy sleeper. Eunmi had always complained how the girl wouldn’t wake up even to the loudest of the noises, like all her senses were malfunctioning when she falls asleep. Waking her up were out of question for him, so Woohyun decided to carry her off.

“That would do” Woohyun said on an end note, after explaining to Sung Gyu.

“Are you sure? All the way to the parking lot?”

“What other option is there” Woohyun sighed.

“We can wake her up, somehow”

Woohyun shook his head. “She won’t wake up for ” He said. “You might want to bring out a police siren to wake her up. Or an earth quake”

“Right” Sung Gyu nodded, getting a fair idea on her sleep state. “Well, then you better carry her carefully then”

“Why?” Woohyun laughed. “Because you want your baby sitter in one piece so you can go on dates again?”

Sung Gyu rolled his eyes though his cheeks turned red. “Of course not!” he said. “Come on now, cannot keep you two any longer”

 

Although he acted like he didn’t care at first, after Woohyun had lifted Eunji on his back, Sung gyu just wouldn’t stop nagging. He was totally against the idea of taking her piggy back all the way to the car park, and was complaining about it being an insecure way of transport and the like. Woohyun hoped he’d just stop so he could quietly go on his way.

“But what if she hit her head somewhere!” Sung gyu was saying. “Mind you, I cannot afford to hire another baby sitter”

“Relax Hyung” Woohyun rolled his eyes. “I have done this before”

Sung Gyu felt a tinge of unconscious jealousy at his words, which vanished as soon as it appeared.  

Through their endless bickering however, the three appeared at the foot of the underground car park, and luckily Woohyun had parked the munchkin quite close by. He wrenched open the centuries old rear door and dumped Eunji inside. Sung Gyu watched the entire scene anxiously, and wondered if it hurt her when he closed the door.

“Be careful really!” Sung Gyu scolded. “Though she didn’t act like one, she’s human too!”

Woohyun sighed and turned to face him.

“Why are you suddenly so possessive over her!?!”

Sung Gyu’s cheeks flushed. “Am not!”

“Are too!”

“No I’m not!” Sung Gyu repeated.

“No you are!” Woohyun repeated loudly. “Here I thought you were on a fancy new date, geeze”

“Y-yah!” Sung Gyu started, but Woohyun had already buckled up inside by that time.

“Bastard” He said in the end, but, with a smile threatening to form on his lips.

*

It was with a light heart that Sung Gyu drove to the CF shooting the next day, which was held at this fancy new hotel which had a glamorous setting suitable for a Victorian styled wedding pictorial. The entire building was painted white, and on a snowy white Saturday morning when the sun glimmered down on the crystal planes, the entire place glimmered like a winter wonderland. Sung Gyu got down from his car and took a deep breath. She air was fresh and slightly warm for a cold day, and was scented of fresh coffee coming from the hotel’s café a few feet away from them. He looked around, trying to locate a familiar sight, a familiar person in particular and sighed. He felt like he was yet again a smitten college student, crushing after an attractive student on spring days as he did back then. Those were the days, he thought as he closed his eyes and took in the surrounding into his mind. Back then the seasons didn’t matter, the time didn’t matter, and the places didn’t matter. When they loved, they just loved.

Eunji on the other hand was cursing the damn coldness. She didn’t understand what she was doing there even. Coming to shoot the bloody CF, Why did she fall for the trap of pay raise again? It was as if the only card Sung gyu could pull at her to convince her into doing things. That, and telling her that they were going to a fancy hotel. Did he really think she was that so money minded? She like other things too…like food, and people…and stuff. Not only money could please her. But as it happened, the problem was not with him pulling the same cars at her but with her falling for it consecutively. With determination, this time, Eunji reminded herself to make a mental note to not to fall for the trap again.

Sung Jae hopped out of the car even when Eunji hissed at him to not to. They were in the car park still, and her stupid boss was being a love sick college kid again, apparently forgetting that he had a kid. SO basically Sung Jae was Eunji’s kid now, and she could do whatever the hell she wanted with him. But only getting him a road kill was not a good way to go.

“Appa are we here?” Sung Jae asked as he grasped Sung Gyu’s hand, Sung Gyu opened his eyes and gave his son a smile. These days Sung Gyu felt more and more loved, and he had so much to give, so much of love towards his son.

“Yup” he said. “This is the place”

“Wow!” He said, looking up the monstrosity of the pale white building before them. “Cool! Can I go?”

“Wait—,” Sung Gyu started, but Sung Jae was faster. He let go of Sung Gyu’s hand and began to run towards the entrance. Even the security guard at the entranceway was surprised at the kid’s cute acting that he laughed. Sung Gyu laughed too, and let out a heavy sigh. Sung Jae was growing up, and it had been long since Sung gyu had understood that. His profession always held his life at risk, and it was true that he should consider marriage. Sung Jae needed someone to look after him when he was unavailable. Someone more than a baby sitter.

Just as if it was on cue, a car pulled into the drive way followed by a van of the hired video recording company. A smile creeped onto Sung Gyu’s lips. For some reason he had a good feeling about it this time around. It had  been long since he was last serious about the person he was dating, and this time around he felt that it was something more than being a pair going out together. They seemed to have something in common, like they clicked together, fell into place so effortlessly, and it was certainly a good sign.

Hwayoung got out of the car, followed by both their mothers and she waved joyfully at his direction. He waved back, and gleefully watched her as she took Sung jae into her arms, gave him a hug and began to make her way towards him, leaving Sung Jae with his grandmother.

“Hey” Sung Gyu greeted, taking in the sight of her. She was in a trendy blue trench coat and stockings, paired with a matching knitted hat which looked gorgeous on her short cropped bronze hair. Sung Gyu gave her a smile and she folded him into a hug. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Hwayoung smelled like spring and rain and all the things nice, she was gentle, like a cherry blossom in the breeze, and he was so in love with all of her.

Eunji, unknowing of their intruder finally decided it was a good time to climb out of the car. She did, stretching her stiffen arms and legs and let out a loud yawn, closing her eyes as she was suddenly greeted by the winter breeze. Upon opening her eyes however, she cursed it that she was there even, because she was witnessing the rather sickening saccharine sight of the couple hugging, possibly snogging in the public. She was so disgusted that she wanted to escape, but she couldn’t help but simply stare at them angrily. Sung Gyu wasn’t even good looking. Nor was the girl. So why were good looking, charming young persons as herself were were still single? She suddenly felt so alone, like she was the only single person in the entire universe. That girl who had a huge glitch on her left buttock she saw at the infirmary last week probably had a better life than she did. Eunji was all alone in the world. A stupid, useless soul she was, like a dried leaf in the autumn, mingling in the breeze and falling off the branches, only to land on the ground, to crack and die-,

“Miss Jung?” Sung gyu echoed, surprised by Eunji’s creepy staring for the umpteenth time. “I thought you went? What are you doing here?”

“Oh?” She muttered. Even her voice was stiff and hoarse. Maybe she was turning into a dry leaf after all. “Oh…umm…” She scratched her head awkwardly. “I was…going”

“Go on then” Sung Gyu said a little harshly. “It’s cold out here”

Eunji shrugged, and gave Hwayoung (Who was watching her pitifully) a glare and trudged off on her own. When on earth was her single life going to end? She couldn’t help but hate her boss for having found love even at such an old age. He was old, and lazy, and stupid. Why was he taken so soon?

She was so much into her thoughts that she didn’t even realize that she had gone off the sight of the hotel and had come to the garden instead. The garden had a patch of grass, and winter flowers in their gracious glory, so soft, so beautiful. In the middle of the grass patch was a little gut with white wooden railings and benches inside. She wasn’t in her right mind to be sitting there and watching the CF shooting. She needed to relieve her nerves. So she dipped her cold hands into her pockets and made her way into the hut, and sat down on one of the benches. Then she let out a sigh. Rest. It was all that she needed right now. And peace in her mind.

 

Meanwhile, Sung Gyu and Hwayoung, already in their bridal dressing walked down the stairwell hand in hand, earning delightful mewls from the surrounding crowd. They were truly a beautiful pair and it was not surprising that everyone was convinced that they were a real married couple. Hwayoung was in a ball gown with rose design embroidery on the skirt and the bodice, its long train trailing gracefully behind her, and Sung Gyu was in smart attire, his hair pushed up and eyes lightly touched with dark eyeliner. Even little Sung Jae got the opportunity to play a part in the CF, which was a delight for him. They got him into a smart suit to, which looked adorable on him, and he was practicing his bit on and on with such concentration that Sung Gyu was duly awed at him. What they had to do was climb down the stairwell, holding hands and sharing a glance and such, and little Sung Jae would come up to them, carrying Hwayoung’s bouquet, which she would take gracefully, with a smile, and then Sung Gyu would laugh, and finally they will all look at the camera, smiling, and then-

“Cut!” Yelled the director of the CF, and everyone began to clap.

“That was only one take, everyone, one single take!” Yelled the director happily. “All worked hard! Thank you!”

Sung Gyu bowed at the staff a few times and the director shook hands with him. SO did a few members of staff, and finally, Hwayoung’s mother.

“You’ve been of great help, Sung gyu-ah” She said and placed a gentle hand on his cheek. “Take good care of our Hwayoungie, oh?”

Sung Gyu’s face reddened. He bowed nonetheless, laughing bashfully. Afterwards his mother hurried towards them and Sung Jae jumped into her arms.

“Halmeoni! Take off the suit Halmeoni!” He cried, and Sung Gyu’s mother shook her head disapprovingly. “He’s not different from you. By the way, the hotel staff had prepared lunch for everyone. Come after changing okay?”

“Alright” Sung Gyu nodded and patted on Sung Jae’s back. “Go change with Halmeoni”

Sung Gyu’s mother proceeded to walk off, dragging Sung Jae behind her. She suddenly stopped then, and turned back to Sung Gyu. “That reminds me. You said your baby sitter was coming?”

“She did come” Sung Gyu squinted his eyes. “Why? Is she not around?”

“Didn’t see her since y’all came” His mother shrugged. “Ah well, the brat must have gone off somewhere”

Sung Gyu looked about at his surrounding, searching for her face. He was certain he told Eunji to go inside when he last saw her by the car, and somehow it was the last time he saw her for the day. But he was also certain that it was to the direction of the main entrance that she walked to, but that was all he could remember.

“Is anything the matter?” Hwayoung asked once she joined him after having a short discussion with her mother.

“Yeah…” Sung Gyu nodded absentmindedly and turned to her. “Did you see Eunji anywhere? She’s gone missing apparently”

“Wasn’t she with us by the car before?” Hwayoung said. “You told her to go in, right?”

“Yeah” Sung Gyu nodded and sighed. Hwayoung pouted, reached over and rubbed Sung Gyu’s shoulder in a sultry manner, which earned a smile from Sung Gyu on her direction. “Hey don’t worry…” Said Hwayoung. “She’ll come around…why don’t we go for lunch? She’s probably there…”

Sung Gyu leaned over a pressed a kiss on Hwayoung’s cheek, softly as he would touch a flower. “Alright…” He said, and together, hand in hand, they went to the trailer to get out of their outfits.

*

Sung Gyu, with Hwayoung joined everyone else for lunch at the hotel restaurant which was a glamorous affair with high walls and pristine white sculptures and stained glass windows, and naturally he began to look for his son, and then for his baby sitter. Sung Jae was sitting with his grandmother, who was helping him to soak bread in his soup, but there was still not a single sign of Eunji.

“Where is this girl?” Sung Gyu muttered to himself as he whipped his phone out. Hwayoung had her arm around his arm, and she led them to a table for two people. Sung Gyu sat down absentmindedly, which garnered Hwayoung’s attention.

“Still no sign of her?” Hwayoung asked, and Sung gyu nodded. He tried to reach Eunji on her phone a few times, but every time the rings went on and went into the voice message mode. After a few tries Sung Gyu gave up, cursing Eunji’s mad ways and got up on his feet.

“Oppa where are you going?” Asked Hwayoung and stood up herself.

“I’ll go and look around for her and come” Sung Gyu replied.

“I’ll come with you” Hwayoung said. Sung gyu only nodded and made his way across the dining hall.

 

 

Eunji could only stare at her phone as it rang and rang until it went onto the voicemail mode, and she let out a sigh. She wasn’t certain why she wanted to torture her boss like this even. Eunji knew that she had to understand the fact that she had come here as a part of her job, but she couldn’t help letting her inner self to take over her for once, in order to understand what her true feelings were. There was sadness, sadness that she, at the age of twenty eight was still a single soul, just after a terrible break up, contemplating her life choices by now. And there was a tinge of jealousy, jealous at her boss who had a child but was still doing a lot greater than herself. There was anger and resentment directed towards Hwayoung too, because she was young, beautiful and probably lot more important than she was to Sung Gyu and everybody else. Eunji was only his baby sitter, she was nothing compared to her. It was hard to even compare. Eunji felt like she was running out of her mind with all of these mixed emotions. Before even she could stop herself, tears sprang into her eyes. She’s been wanting to cry for a long time, but this certainly wasn’t the right time for it. Hastily, Eunji wiped her eyes off on the back of her sleeve and took a deep breath. She had to bring herself together. Pick up all the pieces and stand alone. She was a true independent woman, head up and strong. It was high time that she begin acting like one.

The phone began to ring again with her boss’s contact number appearing on the screen. This time around however, Eunji picked up the phone and prepared herself to answer but, but for her surprise it stopped, as though her boss was actually giving up on her. Eunji let out a sigh, feeling something cold growing up in her, and she began to feel like crying again. Her boss was giving up. He didn’t want her to be the baby sitter anymore. Of course he didn’t. Because he’s got Hwayoung. Hwayoung who was beautiful, talented and so much better than her. Hwayoung, who was-

“Eunji?”

Eunji immediately whipped around, only to see her boss across the field of flowers, standing there and just panting as though he had run a mile. He hadn’t wiped off the slight touch of makeup even, and he looked sweaty, even on a bright winter afternoon. Eunji began to feel weird, as though the resentment she had towards him was beginning to crumble down. Sung Gyu indeed hadn’t given up on her. He had come to find her.

“Eunji what the are you doing here?” He asked, making his way towards the hut across the garden. “I’ve been trying to call you but you wouldn’t pick up your bloody phone! What the is wrong with you?”

“I…” she began, but she couldn’t speak. For some reason, her voice appeared to have stopped somewhere in the middle. She couldn’t speak because she was uncertain of what she was doing there, sitting all by herself. She was rendered speechless because never in her life did she expect her boss to come and find her.

But then he began to scold her.

“I asked you to come here because you’re supposed to look after Sung Jae, not wonder about the place!” He yelled and ran a hand through his hair. “What the hell is wrong with you? I should have a word with Woohyun about this”

Woohyun. If he ever get to know anything about Eunji’s mood swings, he would contact the army and an entire swat team to locate her. He had the tendency to go ballistic over the smallest matters and the last thing she wanted to do was worrying her older sister.

“I-I’m fine!” Eunji said, finally getting up on her feet. “I’m fine boss. Nothing’s wrong”

At the last note, her voice cracked the slightest. Eunji wished her boss wouldn’t notice this, unfortunately yet, he appeared to have noticed it and peeked into have a closer look.

“Eunji, are you okay?”

Eunji nodded, biting her lip. She was worried. If Sung Gyu pushed on any further, Eunji was sure she would burst.

“Eunji, tell me. Are you-,”

“Sung gyu Oppa!” Called a rather feminine voice across the garden, making both Sung Gyu and Eunji turn. Hwayoung was standing there at the end of the grass patch, in her fancy blue trench coat and all the glory. Eunji was hit by that resentment again. She could be Eunji, alright. Eunji the baby sitter. But she could never be able to be like her.

*

“Everyone worked hard!” Hwayoung’s mother said that evening. Bowing her head at all the staff and the family. “The CF was done perfectly. I hope I treated you all well. Please stay warm everyone!”

After all the greetings and farewells, everyone headed on their respective ways. Little Sung Jae was tired, and he had fallen asleep in Sung Gyu’s arms. He was carrying him towards the car, with Eunji right behind them. Much to his surprise, Hwayoung was waiting by the car, smiling.

“I was waiting for you” She said walking towards him. Eunji only rolled her eyes and went to the other side towards the passenger seat door, and quietly waited for Sung Gyu to unlock the door.

“Were you?” Sung gyu smiled, his free hand gently patting on Sung Jae’s back. “You better go in then. It’s getting cold…”

“I wanted to tell you goodbye Oppa” Mused Hwayoung, resulting Eunji to snort silently on the other side. She couldn’t stand that kind of women, who so effortlessly pull out gestures which they suppose were cute but in reality were so disgustingly unbearable. Eunji wasn’t the kind to pull out weird gestures like that. If anything, she’d have wrapped a warm scarf around Sung Jae by now.

But Hwayoung seemed like she wasn’t even taking note of it that Sung Jae was soundly asleep. Instead she was going on and on about something, giggling heartily time to time. Eunji was growing tired of it all that she called out. “Boss!”

Sung gyu, who was still laughing at something Hwayoung had said, like he was drunk and blinded by everything about her, gave a brief glance at Eunji’s direction, and Eunji took it a moment to gesture at the car. Fortunately he understood her and unlocked it, while still being enthralled by Hwayoung’s talking. Eunji waited for a quiet moment, just watching, and after a while she noticed just how Sung Jae tiny nose tip had turned red. She sighed, seeing how the woman was being so bloody ignorant and decided to take the matter into her own hands. She trudged around the car, opened the rear door and came towards Sung gyu who gave her yet another brief glance. She ignored him nonetheless and pulled Sung Jae into her arms. Sung Gyu gave him away, naturally, and she slowly made her way towards the car and slowly climbed in. Sung Jae snuggled into her, putting his arms around her and burying his face in her chest. Eunji could feel his warmth against her. It was without her knowing that a smile spread across her lips.

“I better go now” Sung Gyu said, finally taking note of Eunji half way into the car, her legs dangling out while she held onto his son. “Sung Jae’s asleep…he’s got school tomorrow”

“Okay” Hwayoung smiled. “You’re still here but I’m already missing you”

“Oh…” Sung Gyu returned her smile. “Should I drop you off to your car?”

“Oh no you don’t have to” Hwayoung gestured at Eunji who was stuck midways. “Your baby sitter seems to be in a difficult situation there”

“She’s like that” Sung Gyu sighed. “You better go back then, its cold…”

“Hm, yeah” Hwayoung said, shrugged and just stood there watching him quietly. He stared back at her, at her eyes glimmering in the moonlight and her hair, a beautiful shade of bronze waving slowly in the breeze. For a moment she reminded him of Yoora, and their past, their better days, the beautiful times of his young, naïve age. Along with this thought he realized, it was the time he should say something, do something even. He should say good bye, touch her hands, something. But during the moment between contemplation and actually doing it, somehow, Hwayoung moved and caught his lips into a sweet kiss. Just as naturally, Sung Gyu responded, his hands on the sides of her waist and closing his eyes. He was conscious of everything, every touch, every gasp, every movement. The only thing he wasn’t conscious of was his heart. And the eyes watching them from behind them.

*