Eight

Sugar Rush

Since she was a kid, Joy had always believed in fairy tales. She had always pictured herself meeting that one true love maybe in a grand ball, dancing with them like Cinderella, and having that magical first kiss with them.

 

When she was 15, her heart got broken by a boy with magical deep brown eyes and leather jacket whom all the girls in their campus swooned over while riding his skateboard.

 

Her magical first kiss stolen and all.

 

She swore never to believe in fairy tales again.

 

Until she was 18, she busied herself with activities and even topping the class rank every time, then a girl with deep brown eyes and leather jacket came into her life.

 

Kang Seulgi would be around the bench every time she would practice running, Joy immersed herself not only on academics but as part of the school varsity as well. It gets into her nerves how the mere act of Kang Seulgi just sitting there and doing nothing irritates her so much.

 

"Stupid leather jacket." muttered Joy as she was on her 3rd lap when she passed by Seulgi.

 

"Stupid smile." Sweat trickled down her forehead as she rests on the opposite bench where Seulgi was sitting.

 

Seulgi now stood from where she's sitting and approaches her: "Here, have some water?"

"No, thanks!" said Joy as she glared at the girl.

 

"Have I offended you or something?"

"It makes me uncomfortable seeing you sitting there."

 

"Why?"

"Just ‘cause."

 

"Can I at least walk you home from school?"

"No."

 

 

Seulgi has been constantly insisting the same thing everyday for 2 months, and not even missing a single running practice she's in, always sitting in the same bench each time and after every practice, would always have a bottle of water ready for her. Joy thought the girl is really over the top and she would ignore the girl and her offer each time.

 

It was on the 3rd month when Seulgi didn't even bother to approach her anymore, and Joy hates to admit it that everytime she runs she would always look at the same spot Seulgi use to sit and somehow misses the girl's arrogant smile.

 

"Stupid Seulgi."

 

Come to think of it, she hasn't even seen the girl around school for some time now.

 

On the 4th month, Joy did her usual laps one afternoon and is proudly monitoring her progress. During her 3rd lap, she spotted the girl she has been missing for some time now, sitting on her usual spot, now sporting blonde hair but still wearing that disarming smile and observing her.

 

Joy, due to surprise, halted and tripped much to the other girl's distress as she hurriedly approached the younger girl to assist her.

 

"Yah are you okay?" said Seulgi as she rushed by her side.

"Certainly not, idiot." Joy battled with herself to smile as the other girl carefully assisted her to the nearest bench and worriedly looks at her.

 

"Haven't seen you for some time." Joy absentmindedly asks as the other girl removed her shoe and carefully massages her right foot.

 

"Missed me?" Seulgi smiled and Joy acted like she wants to hit her but winced as she felt a shot of pain in her foot.

 

"Don't move too much, this will be okay in a minute."

 

Joy stared at the girl with furrowed brows now attending to her foot as if she was a princess.  Hah, stupid fairytales. Kang Seulgi would laugh if she would know about Joy's childhood dream.

 

"My family and I went for a vacation, it was worth skipping classes for a month. Does it still hurt?"

 

Seulgi manages to smile at her again while Joy was lost in her thoughts.

 

"What?"

 

"I asked you earlier, if your foot still hurts but you were just staring at my cute face." Seulgi snickers.

 

Joy now tried moving her right foot and she doesn't feel any pain at all: "Impressive."

 

Seulgi now playfully bends down on her one knee as she tried to put the shoe on Joy's right foot even carefully tying her shoelaces up for her, Joy tried not to blush at the girl's kind gesture.

 

When done, Seulgi dorkily exclaimed: "My princess, the shoe! It fits!"

 

"What?" Joy thought she was making things up in her head with what Seulgi had said.

 

"Eh?"

 

"What did you say?"

 

"My princess the shoe.. it fits? Uhmm.. sort of Cinderella reference? I love Cinderella since I was a kid you know. Favorite princess and all that jazz..." Seulgi tried to explain and now Joy manages to smile at her.

 

"And you know how to smile..." Seulgi happily remarked.

 

They walked home together since that day. Joy certainly did not believe in fairy tales anymore but together with Seulgi they can believe in something more real than that.

 

* Quick one inspired by Seulgi tying up Joy's shoelaces at ISAC.