Seventeen

Sugar Rush

Irene’s POV

Wine glasses clinking. Formal event that requires you to wear this body hugging black dress. You had your hair up which is actually very unusual from your no-shower hairstyle (Yuri’s words, not yours) but despite feeling extra pretty tonight, the heels on your feet are killing you and ohgod it hits you that you are socially inept to even be interacting with people at this point in your life.

Speaking of Yuri, you made a mental note on whether these heels are fatal enough to hit her in the head, interaction with people is totally not your thing, save for formal gatherings and Yuri is usually one to be assigned to these kind of events, but nope she’s celebrating her anniversary with Yoona tonight and begged you to not tell your band mates that you went instead of her.

If only you knew someone here then it would be easier, you took a sip from the drink in your hand, courtesy of the unlimited champagne for tonight (Thank you Yuri, really). A familiar face emerges from the crowd, and her face would’ve mirrored the one you have now, you shoot back a shy nod of acknowledgement as she awkwardly smiled your way. Of course, you knew her, well not really, if you’d count younger sister of one of your bandmate’s exes (yes, you guessed the band mate, it’s Yuri…).

She excused herself from the crowd she’s with and makes her way to you, if only you possess the same grace and confidence as her then this gathering would never be a problem, and she looks so stunning in that dress (since when did this bandmate’s ex’s younger sister got hotter, you find yourself asking).

The first words that came from when she whispered to your ear were: “My heels are killing me.”   You find yourself shyly nodding and laughing with her, at least you are not alone in this pain.

“I think, we haven’t been properly introduced. I mean we hang out lotsa times back then because of my sister and Yuri… and oh uh.. My name is Soojung.” She held out her hand as she smirked and you caught yourself drawn into those eyes.

“I.. Irene.” You hope she caught on how tiny your voice sounded when you speak but she did as she grabbed your hand and said: “Let’s get out of here.”

Of course, you went without giving it any second thoughts.

*

When she said let’s get out of here, you thought you would just chill at the balcony and breathe some fresh air, what you did not expect was an elevator ride and her taking you to the venue’s rooftop pool.

“Are you crazy?!” You whispered to her as she giggled: “No…” and you should be comforted at that fact and the way the city lights shone behind her creating a sort of magical bokeh effect, but it all vanished when she turns her back to you as she walks towards the pool and uttered: “Maybe…”  

You stand rooted in the spot as she took off her shoe, sat beside the pool and dips both her feet in it, she turns to you, smiles and said: “Join me.”

You find yourself agreeing for the nth time tonight.

*

So, both of you sat there and you stared at her calm face as she observes the pool’s water having ripples every time she moves her feet. You broke the silence by asking: “What brings you here, to this event?”

“My bandmates ditched me the last minute, saying crappy excuses like I am the youngest and prettiest in the band, so it’s like they forced me to go. You?” She smiles your way as you mirrored her feet’s movement and you both create ripples of water.

“Same.”

“You’re not… Much of a talker, aren’t you?” She tilts her head and you laughed, by all standards you’re socially inept, but you are really far from being a shy person.

“I’m actually the opposite when I’m around people I’m comfortable with.”  You held your gaze at her face as she gave a frown: “Am I making you uncomfortable?”

“No, don’t take it the wrong way I-“ You lightly slapped her shoulder as she continues to look like a puppy with those round eyes and cute pouting but then laughs along with you when she thought you bought her cute acting.

“By the way thanks for saving me earlier.” She bit her lip.
“Judging from the looks of it, it seems you were enjoying that crowd.”  

“Formal events bore the hell out of me.” She lets out subtle eye roll gesture.
“…and hanging around with your sister’s ex’s band mate is your idea of fun?” You fought off another smile.

“Pretty girls are fun in general.” She smirked and looks at you like she’s studying your facial features and you caught yourself holding her gaze while blushing, compliments still never fail to give you butterflies in the stomach.

Both of you wasted the entire time until midnight with endless laugh and chatter especially with her arguing that you’re the same age as her when in fact you are years older.  The arguing just stopped after both of you finally got reprimanded because surprise~ the pool is an off-limits area for tonight and you caught yourselves giggling at the elevator and even on the ride back home.

*

Now here you are lying wide awake in your bed, replaying tonight’s scenarios in your head.  A text message interrupted your thoughts, it came from Yuri: “How’s the event? You were not your awkward self tonight aren’t you?”

Impish smirks, the way she covers when she laughs, and her pretty lips flash in your head once again, as you typed in a reply: “Oh, I had fun.”