Cookie

Sugar Rush

“According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.”

 

"What a load of crap." Irene murmurs at the Facebook post as she scrolled through her feed. "My other half got to be -faced in an alternate universe and got lost."

 

She finished her coffee when the waitress handed her a fortune cookie, Irene shakes her head as she thinks it's just a waste of time but the waitress had already left her.

 

Curious, she opened the fortune cookie only to read: "Meh." 

 

She just laughed at how silly it is and walks out of the cafe.

 

 

x

 

The next day was a surprisingly busy day at the cafe and Irene got lucky to find an empty table at this time, she ordered the usual as she tried to keep herself occupied by playing some game. 

Just then someone sat in front of her: "I'm sorry, can I have this seat? I've been awake all night and it's already..." The girl paused and looks at her watch: "Wow, already almost night again and I haven't had a blink yet and I really need to down this coffee, I won't be long, I promise."

"That was a long sentence..." Irene looks up from her phone and blinked.

"Is that a yes? I mean I'm sorry for interrupting you, I really should get going and leave now, maybe that's -" Wendy continues to ramble.

"Stay..." Irene manages to smile and continues playing.

The other girl finally settled to quietly sipping her coffee while tapping the table and occasionally glancing at Irene.

Irene raised an eyebrow at the noise, but the girl is rhythmically tapping and she finds it calming than irritating. That's a first.

 

x

 

The same waitress appeared again and now handed them two fortune cookies.

"Oh! I loooove these!" Wendy exclaimed as she excitedly claimed one as hers.
"They're usually full of crap." Irene remarked.
"But, they're fun and so random?" Irene noticed how Wendy smiles too cheerfully so she can't be the one to ruin the girl's happiness over fortune cookies.  Whatever floats her boat.

Irene lets the issue rest, but still she wants to prove Wendy wrong by letting her read her saying:"The fortune you seek is in another cookie."

Wendy's eyebrows shot up and she giggled, much to Irene's dismay: "That means my fortune cookie will be yours now, and I have a good fortune cookie record. You'll be in luck! Do you want me to open mine now?"

 

"No, do it later." Irene just shrugged, did Wendy just seriously took the saying literally?

 

Almost an hour has passed and by some luck, both of them stood up at the same time.

 

x

 

They are now both already outside the café, neither moving from where they stand: "Heading home?" Wendy was the first to speak.

"Yes, but I’ll be going for some walk." Irene observes the passing cars before staring at Wendy's face.

"I'll come with you then..?" 
“Irene..”
“Irene, I’m Wendy.” 
"Okay, Wendy. Join me for a walk."

 

They are enjoying the cool breeze while talking about random stuff and Irene hasn't really laughed that much for quite some time now, thanks to Wendy. The girl has this odd sense of humor matching with her exaggerated expressions and not to mention the girl is really pleasing in the eyes.

They were outside Irene's house when Wendy gave her that almost forgotten fortune cookie, Irene immediately opened it and smiled, she was about to tell the other girl about it when Wendy excitedly pointed out at a shooting star and sincerely made a wish.

"Seriously?" Irene chuckled when Wendy was done.

"Did you just waste an opportunity to wish on a shooting star, for I don't know, money? Happiness?" Wendy pouted. 

 

"Why would I wish for such thing? When happiness is just right beside me now." Irene mused.
"Huh?" Wendy shot her a confused look.

 

You said I would be in luck with your fortune cookie, "Look around; happiness is trying to catch you."

 

"Are you implying that I am chasing after you!?" Wendy sounds annoyed.
"N-No, I am only implying that you're my happiness. Ehm.. Sort of." Irene stuttered as she explained.

Seconds later, Wendy and Irene shared a knowing look and just exchanged shy smiles.



 

* Based on some fortune cookie images posted online