Nineteen

Sugar Rush

* Based from tinytushy's 2am ramblings..... 


Day 1

 

Seulgi shuffled to her feet as she saw a jaw dropping customer walked in at their tiny bakery. She tried to show off her brightest smile as she charmingly greeted her: "Good Morning!" but it just fell on deaf ears as the girl chose to approach the bread aisle, took a long whiff, smiled and left the shop.

 

"Weirdo." Seulgi mumbled. "Never trust pretty girls they are all weirdos."

 

Wendy appeared behind her carrying another fresh batch of bread, laughing as her friend is talking to herself again: "What's the matter this time Ddeulgi?"

 

"Oh, nothing." Seulgi kept mumbling and Wendy just left it at that.

 

 

*

 

 

Day 2

 

Seulgi is busy arranging the cakes at the counter when the said weirdo walked in again, this time the younger girl opted to keep shut as she observed the pretty girl walk towards the bread aisle, sniffed, smiled and walked away again as if nothing happened.

 

Seulgi thinks she's losing her mind, is their bakery haunted? Are ghosts capable of sniffing breads?

 

*

 

Day 3

 

Joy glared at Seulgi when the latter watches their doorway like a hawk: "She should be here any minute.."

 

"Seulgi, I've got lots of bread to make, you're just wasting my time! Why won't you ask Wendy to be with you and watch over this so called weirdo?" Joy complains.

 

"Wendy.. You know how she's so aloof when it comes to customers, she just like to hermit and make bread." Seulgi muttered.

 

"I'll be going-" Joy's words got cut off when someone came to the shop.

 

"Joy, that's her, that's her, please tell me you are seeing her, that she's not an apparition." Seulgi whispered.

"Of course I am seeing her you , did you think our bakery is haunted?" Joy nudged Seulgi as they both observed the pretty girl do her now daily routine.

 

"Man, this is fun, Wendy should know about this." Joy clapped her hands and cackled.

 

 

 

"Why won't you approach her and tell her to buy some of our bread?" Wendy frowns as the two just made fun of the the so called weirdo.

"But it was amusing seeing her with a childlike expression, she's so happy sniffing our bread." Joy laughed.

 

"Wendy, should we start charging her per whiff?" Seulgi pats her head at her brilliant idea.

 

 

 

"No." Wendy and Joy chorused as they both glared at Seulgi.

 

 

*

 

Day 4

 

Both Seulgi and Joy nudged each other as Irene approached the bread aisle and that particular corner again.

 

"You do it." Seulgi nudged Joy.
"No, you do it." Joy replied.

 

It was a battle of nudges until both of them haven't noticed that Irene already left the shop.

 

 

Unknown to both of them Wendy has been secretly staring and smiling at Irene from afar.

 

*

 

Day 5

 

"Hiiiiiiiiii! Good morning! Would you like to buy some of those?" Seulgi's voice echoed throughout the shop and in turn startling Irene.

 

Okay, she's not deaf.

 

"I.. Uh.. I... Can I talk to the baker?" Irene stuttered.

 

...and she's not mute

 

"No, she's busy at the moment." Seulgi replied.

 

 

"I bake the bread." Joy smiled and Irene frowned and looked at her suspiciously:  "I.. I'd take a cake then instead." Irene mumbled as Joy happily punched out her order.

 

 

 

"By the way Wendy, the weirdo was asking to see you earlier." Seulgi said.
"Really? You know I don't meet customers, right?" Wendy replied.
"I told her I bake the bread but it seemed she doesn't believe me." Joy interrupted.
"Thought so too..." Seulgi said.

 

 

*

 

Day 6

 

"You take care of that unnie, my hands are full today, Wendy is sick and I have to bake everything.” Joy shouted from the kitchen.
"Of course I can take care of this." Seulgi confidently said.

 

Irene slowly approached the bread aisle again, cautious of Seulgi's eyes on her. She discreetly took a whiff but then frowned, she looks around the shop and searches for Seulgi's attention and the latter pretends to be busy over the counter.

 

"Hey."

Oh, so I exist to her.

"Hey, I need to talk to you." Irene said as she faces Seulgi: "What is it?"

"There is something wrong with your bread." Irene muttered and left the shop immediately.

 

 

"Is that some kind of an offensive jab?!" Joy shrieked.
"Maybe there is really something wrong with your bread?" Seulgi furrowed her brows.

 

"Unacceptable!" Joy threw her hands in desperation as she looks at the bread aisle and realized something.

 

*

 

Day 7

 

Wendy noticed a lone girl standing outside the shop, she cleared as she walks towards the girl: "Hi. Excuse me, do you need something?"

 

"It's closed." Irene frowned.

 

"Ah seriously, those two chose to ditch work together at this time." Wendy fumbled with the lock as she opened the door and Irene just patiently waits for her.

 

"So, you're the infamous shy baker." Irene quirked an eyebrow as she observes Wendy.
"I'm far from shy." Wendy scrunched her nose as they both walked inside the shop.

 

"Something was wrong with your bread yesterday." Irene bit her lip.
"Uh huh. I bet Joy would disagree on that." Wendy laughs and shakes her head as she recalled Joy last night screaming to her on the phone: "She only likes the smell of the bread that you bake! I am so done!"

 

"Does the shy baker have a name?" Irene tilted her head.
Wendy stared at her for what seemed like eternity, before saying her name: "Wendy."

 

"I’m Irene.... Hmm, Wendy seems apt..." Irene drones on. 
"Huh? What are you saying, Irene?" Wendy asks.

 

"I don't intend on walking inside bread shops that often."
"Uh huh and..?"
"But I seemed to do it everyday now, here in particular as all of you may have noticed."
"Wait, what exactly are you trying to say?"

 

"The smell of your bread comforts me, it gives off a sweet caring scent, I can't explain it, I pictured out that it would definitely match your personality, that's why I wanted to see the baker and…. now you're here in front of me, and it seems like all the pieces of puzzle clicked together and I..."  Irene endlessly drones on as she carefully finds words to say to Wendy.

"Hey, is that some sort of pick-up line because I'm definitely not buying that." Wendy smiled and added:  At least it's better than 'Are you a baker? Cause you're a cutie pie.'

 

Irene chuckled as she realized what she just said: "It’s far from a pickup line!”

 

"If you liked the smell, then how come you are not buying any?" Wendy asks as she fumbled with her apron.

 

"I'm allergic to bread." Irene mumbled to herself.
"Excuse me?" Wendy's eyebrows shot in surprise.

 

"All my life I’m made to believe that I'm allergic to bread..." Irene says it a bit loudly and Wendy fought back a laugh.

 

"But, I guess I'll make an exception now..."

 


xxx

Only freshly baked bread everyday, don't ask.