Rain

Sugar Rush

You hate the rain. You always hated the way the rain smells, it doesn't help that it’s been raining all this week. You stayed indoors as much as possible just to avoid smelling it, then there's Seulgi who's patiently doing all the errands for you from ramen purchases to chinese takeouts, she would even say: “Anticipate my comeback.." and you do all the time, you will just observe her as she approaches your dorm, her haired tied in a bun making her favorite yellow raincoat have this weird bump on top, and she never fails to match it with her clear umbrella.

 

Most of the time, she will just wave while you are staring from your window, the other day, she gave you a big heart over her head and you just laughed. This time she was about to shoot hearts at you when she bumped into a short girl with pretty blonde hair, she apologizes and bows several times then scratches her head as she looks up to where you are, she then gave a shy wave.

 

"Did the girl get mad at you?" you asked as you opened the door, she just gave you a big smile and shook her head, removing her silly raincoat as she puts the purchases in your table.
 

"She's not mad, can't you see her face from up here? She's smiling prettily." she gushes.

 

"Prettier than me?" you almost said it as a whisper, but she quickly answered: "Of course not."

 

 

x

 

 

You were humming a song by the window when she joined you, holding two mugs of coffee, handing your share as she pressed her nose against the glass.
 

"If school will start and it still rains, you will skip all your classes." she sounds muffled.


You bit your left cheek and you won't comment because you know it's true, even a whiff of the rain would make you catch a cold easily.

Just then the same blonde girl appeared and walks with someone, and Seulgi laughs: "That pretty girl walks like a penguin!"

You snorted because it is true, but then she tilts her head and frowned: "Oh, she's with my friend Wendy. She knows Wendy."

 

 

x

 

 

She's waving at you again, you wonder how she could easily spot you since your shared room is on the 3rd floor, you shyly waved back but not before you fogged the glass with your breath and drew a heart over where she's standing and smiled inwardly, the next thing you know Miss Penguin bumped into her again, this time they are exchanging pleasantries and whatnot. It makes you think Seulgi is really friendly like your sister, always giving that genuine smile that draws people into her, that's so unlike you. You have always kept your inner circle to a select people and you like it that way since.

 

The conversation lasted for a couple of minutes, or you just refused to count, you found yourself rolling your eyes and erasing the heart you drew on the glass.

 

Since then you can find the said girl tagging along every time Seulgi goes out, with no Wendy in sight.

 

x

 

By such of luck, the same girl is now standing by your doorway as you opened the door, you feel yourself towering over her considering her height, but you must admit she's pretty, with such radiant smile that you can't say no to: "This is room 329 right? I found your roommate screaming at the shared bathroom asking for help, she said she's and she forgot her towel, told me to look for her beautiful grumpy roommate?"

 

Even her voice sounds pretty, so you fetched the towel, your hands are now unconsciously gripping it tight, you are not even upset, Seulgi is just stupid that way, and you find yourself handing it to the girl: "Hand it to her yourself." The girl bid her goodbye when you addded: "Tell her she's an idiot."

 

"Is she your girlfriend?" the girl got the nerve to ask, you wanted to say: "Obviously, you little ." but it came from your own mouth to not give whatever is it that you have with Seulgi a label. It is so overrated, Seulgi once said it's funny calling it an open relationship when really you only have eyes for each other 24/7 these past couple of years until Miss Penguin came.

Even your sister agrees on how silly it is, but considering she’s with that bozo for a long time, well she really does have a say on the matter.  

 

You can only answer Irene by closing the door harshly.

 

x

 

You are beginning to sleep when she rudely interrupted it with: "Tell me a story...", and you knew this was her usual antics just to get you to talk, so you pick among the countless stories you never tell anyone, since you were a kid, you are used at keeping things to yourself, you're not as extra talkative or friendly as your sister, so you took a deep breath and started with: "So when I was 14, my sis and I went to Europe and stayed there for a couple of years..." and you know she would listen with eyes full of curiosity as she occasionally nods or how she would frown in disgust if she founds something disturbing in between your narrative.

 

When you were done, she smiled and said: "Thank you..." and you wonder what is it for, "..for sharing a part of you with me, I know you're not the type to be big with words. Plus I like your voice."

 

"You like my voice?" you scoff at how ridiculous that sounded, but this is Kang Seulgi we are talking about.

 

"Yeah, you can recite the alphabet, and I'll still listen..." she grinned.

 

"I'll do that next time."

 

 

x

 

 

You don't have to be jealous when the trips with Miss Penguin outside began to be frequent. You even thought of going outside just to follow them wherever they go. You stopped waiting for her by the window because you thought it's pointless, anyway. But you find her looking up to where your shared room was and you can't help but be touched by the gesture.
 

What's alarming was one afternoon you caught her slipping something into your shared closet, she thought you were soundly sleeping. She bit her lip as if practicing some lines or something, and you thought this is it, the open relationship would be a reality when Miss Penguin is already in the picture.

 

She joined you into sleeping afterwards, her hands wrapped around your waist and her head snuggled on your neck. You fought the nerve to flinch out of disgust, jealousy or both.

 

She went out again, and you got the urge to check what she slipped into your closet but it's gone. You have this urge to follow her, damn the rain, so you went out, maybe she will propose to Irene in the nearby coffee shop, you didn't even bother bringing an umbrella as you ran as fast as you could. You are drenched from head to toe when you arrived in the coffee shop, sure enough the place is almost empty with no Seulgi or Irene in sight, and you took a seat to calm your nerves, the smell of the rain really disgusts you.

 

Just then Irene entered the coffee shop and spotted you, her worried eyes evident as she approached you: "What are you doing here?"

 

"Enjoying the sun. Where's Seulgi? Shouldn't she be with you by now?" you don't even realize how shaky your voice sounded like right now.

 

"Oh no, I'm with my girlfriend.." Irene motions at the door when a grinning Wendy entered.

 

"Girlfriend, what?"

 

"Back to my question, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be staying in your room? Seulgi mentioned you hate the rain. By some twist of luck, she got locked up in the bathroom, luckily my girlfriend got her out minutes ago." Irene continues to explain.

 

"But, girlfriend what? You and Wendy are together?"

 

"Yeah, we had some rough patch these days, thanks to Seulgi, she got us back together-" Irene smiled but you don't have the patience to stay in the conversation any longer as you dash out of the coffee shop, you can only manage to say: "Thanks!" before braving it out to the rain again.

 

You were halfway back to your dorm when you caught her sight walking towards you, with a worried expression and bringing her stupid umbrella again. She is now running and you can see her sneakers making big splashes along the way. 

 

"Take this, you'll get sick. I was so worried when I got back and you're not there anymore." Seulgi handed her umbrella but you refused to take it.

 

"I'm sorry I got jealous, I thought you will.."

 

"Yeah about that, I was just helping Wendy.."

 

You hushed her and told her you already know, but she still continued: "I was telling them to be fearless and fight for their love no matter what the circumstances are, and it hit me, what irony it is coming from my own mouth when I am the one who can't even bear to be truthful about my feelings. I want us, only us to be together, no more of that open relationship thing..." and she brought out a box which has these stupid rings in it: "Be my girlfriend, yes?"

 

It rained harder and you fought back a sob, confessions aren't even meant to be dramatic this way. You hugged her as you uttered: "À toi pour toujours..."

 

"Is.. Is that a no?" she scratched her head and you can feel her shoulders being wet, she really should change this umbrella.

 

"Tuya por siempre..." you laughed as she looks up and complain: "Speak in a language I can understand!"

 

You gazed at her intently as you mouthed: “Forever yours…” 

 

“What?”

 

You let go of the hug and dragged her back to the dorm laughing: “We need to get those cute ears checked…”




* Based on a prompt from michyeo 
** Someone mentioned SNSD's Talk Talk here before? 

*** For you, F ♥