Torty

Sugar Rush

Wendy stood up from her seat as she saw a very distressed looking girl came in to the clinic this afternoon, the same girl who's gone to the clinic at least already thrice this week (not counting today!). Usually it's her dad that's managing the vet clinic, but he decided it's the best time for her to take over the family business as another veterinarian in the family (yeah, counting her sister who's busy taking care of crocodiles!).

 

"Please check my tortoise, he seems to be having health problems."

"Okay just relax, are you sure he's unwell this time? The last time he was-"

"Yes I am sure." Irene replied.

"Alright let's do the usual checkup. What's this cutie's name again?" 

 

"Voldetort." the pretty girl smiled as she proudly introduces her pet.

"Right, Voldetort." Wendy fought the urge to smile at this obviously healthy pet’s misery as his owner kept coming up with imaginary excuses every time they’re here.

 

Irene carefully handed 'Torty' to Wendy as the latter weighed her pet.

"Hmmm, weight is still the same as the last time."

 

Wendy further inspects Torty: "The shell doesn't look infected, in fact he looks even healthier than the previous times he was here."

 

"Doc! I am sure he is sick!" Irene panicked.

"Did you changed his habitat? His food intake?" Wendy asked as she stares into Irene's eyes.

 

"No. But I am sure he is sad."

 

"Right, Torty is sad…" Wendy bit her lip and stopped herself from laughing at how ridiculous the statement is, the last time the girl said: "Torty doesn't like the smell of the new neighbors who moved in the next door." The other time it was: "Torty has lost the will to live because his favorite show has been cancelled."

 

"Okay then, this time, I think we need to take some parasite and stool tests for Torty." Wendy remarked as she handed the tortoise back to Irene.

"I-I.. don't think that's necessary, Doc." Irene quickly replied as she clutches her pet.

 

"But, you just said he's sick...!" wendy now huffed in frustration.

 

"Torty just wants to take you out to amusement park to feel less sad."

 

"An amusement park?"

 

"Yes, Torty needs a date."

 

“Okay I’ll take him out on a date. Will you be okay if you wait here for 2 hours?” Wendy went to her desk to fetch her car keys.

 

“Are you serious?!”

 

“You said he’s sad and needs a date. Yes, I’m going out with him and you’ll stay here.” Wendy is amused as Irene’s face is clearly fuming now.

 

“Nevermind Doc, I think he is bouncing from happiness now. I’ll just take him home.”  Irene then walks out of the clinic.

 

x

 

The day after, Wendy waited for Irene’s sudden appearance and yet she was not disappointed, the girl has entered the clinic and Wendy welcomed her with a smile.

 

“Is Torty still sick?”

“No, he’s very fine, he just wants to send some flowers.” as Irene laid the flowers she was hiding behind her back over Wendy’s desk.

 

“This is very sweet of him. But, tell him I am already turning down his invitation for that amusement park date.”

 

“Oh.” Irene frowned and looked down, clearly disappointed as she fidgets from where she’s standing.

 

“Miss Bae, please tell Torty I’m sorry… I’ll be going out with his owner instead.”

 

 

* A quick one shot inspired by this: http://i.imgur.com/w3TEBM2.jpg