Lock Me Up

Sugar Rush

Wendy breathes heavily into the mask as she scrawled the large text across the pristine white wall. When she's done, she took ten steps back to admire her work while wearing a smile of satisfaction on her face. She now carefully tucks her cans of black spray paint along with her rubber gloves. She whistles cheerfully as she walks out of the school, by climbing into the wall used by the students who are fond of skipping classes. 

 

Morning came and the students are now huddled into the new graffiti, some even admiring and taking pictures of it, still no sign of who the culprit might be but the graffiti screams the name 'Hyun' enough to cover half of the wall. Whoever it might be would certainly face hell in detention or worse get expelled.

 

The crowd easily dispersed when Irene Bae now approaches the graffiti, frowning and fixing her glasses to even have a clearer view of it.

 

"Any idea who did this?" She spoke in her usual calm manner, but is met with awkward silence as all the students fear her.

 

"Report immediately into my office if you've heard anything about the culprit."

 

She made her announcement loud and clear for everyone to hear.

 

*

 

Wendy Son walked into Irene Bae's office by the afternoon to submit some reports, it is her duty after all, being the President of the Student Council at school. Her presence was met with Irene's usual cold demeanor, the older girl is usually not fond of exchanging words. Wendy would get lucky if she even hears a full sentence from the older girl, this time is no different until: "Do you have any idea who made that graffiti? As the head of all the students in this university, you are aware that it is your responsibility to keep everything in check." 

"No, ma'am. My apologies, I'll report if there is a progress on the incident." Wendy almost choked at her words while she's mentally counting all the words Irene have said to her today, so this is what makes her talk.

 

 

"A week in detention with me. Please spread the word." Irene spoke in finality and Wendy bows down before closing the door.

 

*

 

Days passed and Wendy has to submit reports at Irene's office once again, the professor looks up and motions Wendy to take a seat.

 

"Still no progress?"

"No."

 

Irene hummed and fiddled with her pen: "I wonder what will be the next graffiti."

"Something related with you again maybe, it seems he or she is a big fan of yours."

"Hyun, huh?"

 

The professor remains silent while tapping the desk with her pen.

 

Wendy sensed that it's her time to go but not before asking: "Say Ma’am, what's your favorite color?"

"Purple."

 

 

*

 

True enough, another fresh graffiti welcomes everyone the next week, this time not only bearing the name 'Hyun' but has messy purple hearts serving as a backdrop for it.

 

"A love confession!" hollered the boy from the back, earning a hard stare from Irene.

 

*

 

Irene taps her pen erratically when Wendy opens the door.

 

"Listen, how many walls are you planning to deface?" Irene noticed her voice hitches a pitch higher than its usual tone.

"What?" Wendy hurriedly closes the door to face the older girl.

 

"What is it that you want?" Irene frowns.

"What are you talking about, Miss?"

 

"The graffiti, my name on them, purple hearts, what were you thinking?!"

"What makes you think I am the culprit?"

 

"Oh please.." Irene rolled her eyes.

"Oh please what? Do you think I would confess like that? Do you think I have feelings for you?" Wendy forgets all her inhibitions to tease the older girl.

 

"Do you really want to do this right now?" Irene smiled menacingly and Wendy feels like regretting what she said.

 

"..."

 

"Alright first, no one in this school knew my name Joohyun, save for the rest of the staff and the Student Council President, second, I have been your Arts Professor when you were a freshman, you should be aware that I know how your sketches and handwriting look like, third, only you knows my favorite color, fourth—"

 

"So you were aware that it was me all this time? Why are you not locking me up in detention with you?"

"You are a straight A student, President of the Student Council, Vice President of the Arts Club, are you not worried that it would taint your records?" Irene reasoned out.

 

"I don't give a , besides it seems you are more fond of the bad students than the good ones."

"Huh, so you've been doing all that just to get my attention?"

"I'm smart like that. Look how grand my love confession is." Wendy crossed her arms as she explains.

 

"Are you sure you wanted this detention?"
"I want to get to know you more, Joohyun."
"You know that I get hundreds of confessions every day and I reject them."

"It’s not every day that you get graffiti painted across every corner of this school, you know I am very capable of doing that without being caught."

 

Irene took a few seconds to think of her next move: "Alright no detention for you."

Wendy frowns as soon as she heard the older girl.


"Because once I locked you up, there is no breaking free from me."




* Based on a prompt tagged at me over twitter by @tinytushy (where Wendy attempts to become close with her new professor by getting into trouble and detention everyday)