Campus Queen

Sugar Rush

Joy is pretty much enjoying the school opening this year, because Bae Irene, the known campus crush has graduated last year. She's sure to be the next in line for the school's campus queen as she's known to be the university's most beautiful, if not next to Irene.

Now she's more than thankful that her other friends Seulgi and Wendy all went to a different university than hers, else there will be war. But then rumors have surfaced around lunchtime that there is a new kid in town, Joy is curious as she had not expect this to happened, adding more intrigue was that it was Bae Irene's cousin enrolled as a freshman with surefire headturner looks, Joy could only scoff at the thought, a kid won't be a threat.

When it was time to go home, Joy's friends directs her attention towards a certain girl, she was expecting Bae Irene's little cousin to be wearing frilly summer dresses and miniskirts like her but then her eyebrows quirked at the sight: A tiny girl wearing a tee two sizes big for her and has her black snapback backwards, matching it with her ripped shorts and tattered red high cut Converse.

"Huh, so this is Kim Yeri..."

It was then when their eyes met that Joy had the urge to flinch, but contrary to her Ice princess cousin, Yeri gave out a full smile at the older girl as she walks by with her friends.

 

x

 

Freshmen orientation came and if there is one word Joy can describe Yeri, it would be boisterous. She expected the girl to have at least the charms and poise of her older cousin, but she's nothing like a mess of loud laughs and constantly pouncing on anyone near her.

"She's so cuteeeee!" she could hear even her own friends squeal when they see the younger girl and Joy only shows an image of annoyance. It doesn't help that everytime their paths will cross the girl would never fail to give her this sweet smile, like the is her dysfunction, Joy  could only reply with a sneer.

 

x

 

One afternoon, Yeri, wearing her usual snapback on backwards now have a plaid top tied around her waist, is riding on a skateboard and dashes to and from where Joy is sitting, she saw the girl pull some mean tricks on it but tried to keep her head down and pretends to study her notes. It was when Yeri failed on a particular kickflip that Joy gave out a loud laughter while clapping like a ing seal.

"Oh! I made the pretty unnie laugh! Yeah!" Yeri didn't mind her scraped knees as she gave high fives to her friends, much to the older girl's annoyance, she wants to correct it with "Prettiest."but all she can mutter is "Dummy."

 

x

 

Or during that time at the library, when Yeri chewing a gum noisily, approaches her: "Unnie, I heard you are good in English, can you tutor me?"

Yeah, Joy might be conceited as , but she sure knows she's a complete package of intelligence and beauty but right now she had the urge to mutter: "I am not your unnie, this is a compe-"

 

"I have watched that show while I was overseas! It was soooo cool!" Yeri jumped at excitement, Joy covered as she now realizes she said it out loud.

 

"What do you mean by overseas?"

 

"I grew up in US! We just moved here!" Yeri cheerfully replied.

 

"Then what do you need me as a tutor for?" Joy crossed her arms as she glares at the younger girl.

 

"Oops, busted." Yeri pretends to fix her snapback as she laughs.

 

x

 

The younger girl continues to follow her around the campus whenever she can and Joy could only glare at everyone that looks at them with amusement.

 

"Unnie!!!" Yeri whined at her and she walks away quickly, "Unnie! I'll just ask you a question!"

 

"Can you please stop that weird thing you do? Stop following me around."

 

"But all the students say we look good together?"

 

"What??!"

 

"I said, are you ready for my question?"

 

"No kid, I'm late."

 

"Just one question."

 

Joy stopped in her tracks and faced Yeri who now bumps into her, upclose, she doesn't know if she's imagining things or does Yeri's hair look extra good today, or the way her doe eyes look pretty as she's staring at her now.

 

"W-What's your question?"
"Why do you sometimes look at me like you want to murder me?"

 

"Do I look like that, sometimes?"
"Well, yeah... but you seem kinder now."

 

It was the first time she ditched a class as she talks with Yeri during the whole period.

 

x

 

Days went smoothly for both of them as they are seen frequently hanging out with each other as often as they can.

 

It all changed when the Ice Queen herself paid a visit to the campus and spotted them together.

 

"Unnie!!!" Yeri ran to her now even more beautiful than ever cousin and the latter looks at Joy with watchful eyes.

"This is my pretty friend Joy!"

 

Joy gave a slight nod as Irene gets dragged by an excited Yeri to their spot.

 

"So, how's the campus queen title? Beaten by a freshman?" Irene lightly mocks her.
 

"Your cousin sure is pretty, but she's at least a bit nicer than you. That counts a lot." 

 

"My feelings are hurt." Irene smiles.

 

"What are you guys talking about?" Yeri tilted her head in confusion.

 

"The campus queen title? It is for the prettiest face in this campus. I was the former campus queen and you will be the reigning one this year..."

 

"That's stupid?" Yeri replied.

 

"You don't understand how this works then..." Joy speaks in an annoyed tone as Irene scoffs at what her cousin had said.

 

"No, I think it's stupid."

 

"It's not stupid!" Joy and Irene shouted in unison.

 

Yeri laughs how she could stir up such emotions from the older girls: "Nah take that title all you want, I don't want it."

 

 

Irene looks as if on the verge of breakdown: "You treat it as irrelevant!"

 

"It is."

 

"You really don't know what you’re saying." Joy looks at her unconvinced.

"Oh in fact, I do.." Yeri tries to reason out.

 

"I'm outta here, I'm outta here..." Irene fans herself as she's past the point of breaking down.

 

 

"So, what's your point?" Joy squints at Yeri, her stance definitely asking for an explanation.

 

"I don't want to be the campus queen, take that title, I don't want it." Yeri looks around and checked that Irene is already nowhere in sight.

 

"But, you just called it stupid."

 

"I called it stupid because my cousin was around earlier." Yeri covers as she whispers and laughs.

 

"So??" Joy is still clearly annoyed.

 

Yeri clears before replying: "I don't want to be the campus queen, I just wanted to be the campus queen's girlfriend…"