One

Sugar Rush

“So, you’re saying you’re an angel?” Seulgi asked for the 3rd time and Soojung isn’t sure if Seulgi is just dumb or she’s just bad at explaining herself, so with a scowl she answered: “Yes, something like that but on the Devil’s side... You know the bad side? I am here to monitor your bad deeds and reach my quota in time so that I can get back to where I came from. Am I going to explain this over and over?”  As she balances the lit cigarette between her fingers and held out her tattered notebook of bad deeds with corresponding points closer to Seulgi’s face at the same time, but quickly snaps it away from the latter’s sight.

The girl, Kang Seulgi just dumbly smiled and said: “Cool... but can you minimize smoking, you know it’s bad for your health... ”

“I am technically dead, stupid.. It would cause me no harm....”

“Okay, but it would give me health risks and if I die you won’t be able to reach your quota..?” Seulgi tries to reason out while covering her nose. Soojung blinked, dropped the cigarette and stomped it harshly with her boot.

 

x

 

Later, in between Seulgi’s staple dinner of instant ramen and cheetos plus nonsensical ramblings,  Soojung discovered that Kang Seulgi was raised as an atheist, so the concept of heaven and hell is basically abstract in her vocabulary. Not to mention, Soojung can read Seulgi’s mind if she wants to, and right now it is practically empty, save for Seulgi thinking what she will be having for breakfast tomorrow. This will not be an easy task.

Three damn days, Soojung has been monitoring Seulgi for three damn days. She learned that despite being raised as an atheist, Seulgi is very well mannered and softly spoken. Doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, and doesn’t even curse. Her only vices are sleeping and playing video games, if you would consider that as a vice. She could only look at her still empty list as she sighed in despair.

Soojung screams internally even more in frustration as Seulgi just silently plays a video game, she’s losing, won’t she be normally spewing profanities by now? Seulgi paused the game and looks at Soojung, “Am I boring you out? Here, Player 2...?” as she hands out the other controller.

 

x

 

Soojung followed Seulgi as she walks in a mini store,  Seulgi despite being loaded just buys the necessary stuff she needs, Soojung wanted to put chocolates in Seulgi’s pockets (stealing has high points in Soojung’s notes) as Seulgi just looks at her in confusion: “Oh, how do you know these are my favourite? How thoughtful, do you want some too? I didn’t know dead people can eat, I’ll buy that for you...”  Soojung wanted to bury Seulgi alive.

 

x

 

“Hey, have you ever considered going digital, I’m sure your bosses got resources to digitalize things and papers are prone to be destroyed easily, no? Also, your handwriting is messy... and you need a new pen, I can lend you some...” Seulgi tried peeking on her list while Soojung smoothens the creases of her notebook.  “That’s none of your business, also there is aesthetic in cursive handwriting, like the smell of old books, the electronic stuff can’t give you that same high...” Soojung explained between covering Seulgi’s eyes and hiding her notes away.

“How am I doing so far? Have you already reached your quota?” Seulgi asked, Soojung shot her an are-you-kidding-me-look: “Seulgi, your list is still empty so far...”

“Oh...  I mean should I say sorry? That would be in the good list, I should not apologize then? By the way, I read up on wiki and it says Sloth is considered a sin, I am sure I am earning some credits there!” Seulgi defended herself.

Soojung could only pinch the bridge of her nose upon what Seulgi said. She checked her list and behold Sloth is included in the least scoring sin, maybe it would count. The small things count. She began to write in Seulgi’s list.

“Yay!” Seulgi did a celebratory dorky dance.

 

x

 

Granting Seulgi’s terrible diet in living practically through take-outs, cheetos, tic-tacs and instant ramen, (she should earn some points for that, Soojung thinks) Soojung prepared a feast for Seulgi one evening.  She double checks her list and Gluttony has higher points than Sloth and Pride combined.  This will be it.

“Is this a farewell party? Someone already reached her quota?” Seulgi’s eyes twinkled as she gazes at Soojung and the feast in the table. Part of Soojung wishes it was, but part of her unexplainably doesn’t.

“Ahhhh, I am already full...” Seulgi whined as Soojung still feeds her spoonfuls of dessert.

“You call that full? You hardly ate what I prepared, stupid!”

“But I am, didn’t you said you can read minds? Can you read my stomach too? F-U-L-L...” Seulgi is practically dozing off now and Soojung just screamed in frustration.

“Hey angel, thanks for the dinner...” Soojung heard Seulgi talk in her sleep.  Soojung’s face contorted into what is considered as a smile.

 

x

 

They were lying in bed one afternoon, and Seulgi randomly asks: “Can you do magic tricks?” Soojung just huffed and replied: “This is not some Hogwarts , Kang...” Soojung now facing the girl added: “But if you’re plotting on something evil then I’m in. What’s on your mind?”

Seulgi smirked, the first time Soojung saw her having such expression: “You said you can read minds right? You tell me...”

Soojung just squinted at Seulgi. Flashes of Soojung’s smile and closeup of her eyes are all she could visualize in Seulgi’s mind. Soojung immediately rolled her eyes: “Let’s nap, Stupid Kang...” but she made a mental note of checking the points for Lust later.   

“Did I do something wrong? You haven’t been bugging me for a sin the whole night?” Seulgi poked Soojung’s side as she is just silently sitting and flipping through her tattered notebook.

“But on the other hand, if I do something wrong that would quicken her departure, that’s good right? Or bad... Or both...” Seulgi murmured to herself.

“Stupid.”

“What?”

“Give me the controller Kang, Player 2.” Soojung pushed Seulgi. The Lust score is long forgotten as they played until dawn.  

Maybe being stuck here with Seulgi for a long time ain’t that bad.