Running From Lions [Part 1]

Mystery Twelve

Exo-M was on there way back from Korea from China.  The boys were worn out after the time there and were looking forward to the warm beds waiting for them.  Most everybody was asleep, except Kris.  He was still wondering what ever happened to Kristy and if the girl that he had seen a few weeks ago was actually her.  He sighed and pulled out his laptop to surf the web.  He smiled when he saw that Zwolf's concert had been a success and clicked on it.  He skimmed through it until something caught his eye.

 

Jay's little sister....

 

He read through the next little bit carefully as they described Kristy down to the bottom of her toes.  He bit his lip and sighed, "Why couldn't I have been there?"  " to be you lover boy."  Tao spoke over the elder's shoulder, making him jump.  He stared wide eyes at the boy who was now chuckling at him.  "I guess they probably know where she is now.  You can ask them tomorrow night when we get back to the dorms."  the panda yawned and leaned back to go to sleep again.  Kris thought about this and decided that it was probably the biggest chance that he would get.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~The Next Night~

 

Kris stood in the elevator with a smile on his face.  He was going to take Tao's advice and ask the Zwolf guys if they knew where Kristy was.  When the doors opened to their floor it was oddly silent.  The Chinese group walked around to find that just their Korean counter part was there.  "Hey, do you know where the weirdos across the hall went?"  Kris asked Chanyeol.  The younger shrugged, "They were being extra weird today and ran out with a bunch of pieces of paper.  Oh and they left one on your bed, but I didn't touch it because they said that if I did something bad would happen."  Kris raised an eyebrow and walked into his room.  He set his stuff down and picked up the paper.  It was folded in half and an envelope fell out.  He picked it up as he read the paper, 'Get me out of this place'.  He flipped the paper over to find an address on the back, then opened the envelope.  The inside of it said 'Taxi Fare' and had some cash in it.  He was curious.  Very curious.  And it didn't take much mental persuasion to leave.

~~

After the cab ride Kris got out and was in front of a flower shop.  He looked around before going inside.  An old woman was sitting behind the counter and smiled at him.  "Kris right?"  He nodded and she pulled out another sheet of paper an envelope and some flowers.  "Your girlfriend was quite the catch when she came in.  She told me to give these to you when you were here later tonight.  She seems like a great girl and you should keep a hold of her."  She said as she handed the bundle to Kris.  He smiled, "Ya, probably the best thing that ever happened to me.  Thank you."  He bowed and walked back outside.  After the door was closed he open the paper, 'Before I cause more damage'  The back of the paper had another map and the inside of the envelope said  bus.  He walked over to the bus and didn't wait very long for it to come.

~~

The place that the map was pointing to ended up being a small firework stand on the edge of the Han.  The man there smiled, "Are you that Kris kid that I am supposed to give this to?"  He pulled out a piece of paper and Kris nodded.  "That's what I thought.  Your girlfriend told me that you would have flowers with you, also said that you would be lookin for me."  He motioned towards his stand, "She told me to tell you to pick one."  Kris pointed at a red firework and thanked the man.  As he walked away he flipped open the paper, 'A small price to pay for building houses out of match sticks'  There was no envelope, but the map was pointing to a shop just a little ways ahead.

 

Kris ducked into the little restaurant and a little girl giggled, "She was right!  You are really handsome."  The girl grabbed a hold of his finger and pulled him to a booth.  In the center of the table was another paper and a bowl of steaming noodles.  His stomach growled, not having realized how hungry he was until now.  The little girl pushed him down into the seat and he smiled at her.  "She told me that you have to eat otherwise you will turn into a big scary monster so hurry!"  As he went to take his first bite he read the note, 'And when things get to hot'. And that is precisely what happened.  The noodles were really spicy, but really good.  The little giggled some more and ran off into the kitchen.  She came back with a big glass of water and another paper.  Kris read this one before taking a drink, just in case.  'You've got me to blame for'.  He laughed and finished the meal, leaving a tip for the girl even though everything was already paid for.  He looked down at the backs of the pages to find that they were pointing him to the Banpo Bridge, luckily it wasn't that far.  

 

The place marked was about half way across where a street performer was fire breathing.  There were a few sets of couples around him and when Kris approached the man stopped and tilted his head, "Kris?"  Kris nodded and the other couples gave him strange looks as he was handed a piece of paper and envelope.  Kris smiled at the man and bowed he whispered a thank you.  As he was walking away the man shouted to him, "Tell your girlfriend that you want to see her play with fire.  She knows a bit."  Kris chuckled and looked at the paper, 'every fire that breaks out in every lovers name'.  There was enough for a taxi ride to the next place in the envelope.

~~

Kris paid the driver and stepped out in front of a book store that was having it's closing sale.  Above the sign there was a piece of paper tape and he easily reached up to grab it.  'Don't forget we've got unfinished business.'  He rolled his eyes at her play on words and looked at the back.  'B10, Row 3 from the top.  #15'  He was confused and decided to go into the store to see if they knew what it was talking about.  When he walked in he understood and walked down row B of book shelves until he got to section 10.  There he found the fifteenth book on the third shelf from the top.  'The Name of This Book is Secret'.  When he opened it up there was the all too familiar paper.  He opened it up, 'Stories yet to unfold.'  He flipped it over the back where there was an arrow pointing towards the register.  He made his way up and looked around, trying to find anybody.  A teenage girl with oversized glasses walked out of the back room coughing and fanning the dust that came out with her away.  She glanced up at Kris and tilted her head, "Are you ready to check out?"  He nodded and set the book down on the counter.  She came over and smirked, "Ah then you'll be needing this too."  She bent down and pulled out an old looking book and set it down on top of the one he had already grabbed.  He picked it up, 'Cinderella' and opened it to the paper that said, 'Tales that must be retold'  The girl looked him over, "I would treat her good.  She appeared to be really happy when she was picking that out and told me about her loser in tin foil.  She seemed to think that she would much prefer that over a knight in shining armor.  But, I think you fit the knight thing better."  She handed Kris the books and he chucked, "Well, she acts like Cinderella that's for sure.  Running off without a word and then leading me on a wild goose chase to go after her."  The girl laughed, "I can totally see it.  And I wish you luck."  He bowed back, "Thank you, ad I wish you luck on your store.

~~

The map and money took him to a hat shop.  He asked the cashier if she knew anything about the papers.  She smiled and told him that he was going to have to look for it on his own, because it was her "very merry unbirthday"  Her words not his.  When he got to the back of the shop, he spotted a paper sticking out of the side of an oversized top hat.  He picked it up and it had a large 10/6 on it.  Still confused he open up the paper, 'And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness'.  It finally clicked, hats, mad, merry unbirthdays.  She was referencing Alice in Wonderland.  He turned back to the lady at the counter who smirked, "You might need some tea"  She plucked the paper out of his hand, "And by the looks of it that's where your heading.  That's the tea shop down the way.  Tell your girlfriend that she had a good sense of humor and that if she ever needs anything hat related  that I wouldn't be against  helping her again."

Kris turned down the street and headed for the tea place that the lady hand pointed him to.  He walked in and looked around.  Finally a familiar face greeted him.  There sat Zwolf's maknae Suho.  The boy waved the older over.  Kris smiled, "It's nice see somebody I know."  Suho laughed, "Just for a couple of minutes then I am supposed to take your stuff with me back to where Kristy is so you can keep going without have way too much stuff."  Kris groaned, "And how long is she planning on taunting me until I can see her?"  The maknae smiled and picked up Kris's stuff and handed him a paper, 'Keeps me wanting'  When he turned Suho was already gone and was really feeling Kristy playing with him.  He sighed and laid his head down on the table in frustration.  Someone came over and set down a mug.  He looked up at the waiter and gave him a questioning look.  The waiter shrugged, "It's a s'more flavored hot chocolate.  That young man ordered it for you and told e to give you this."  He handed Kris a paper, which he opened, 'Keeps me wanting more.'