[o3o.

It Hurts to Hurt You

 

 

She had been changing the channel for times but nothing caught her attention on watching. Annoyed, Hyesun threw the remote control on the coffee table which earnt a shriek from Kyungri.

“Even a remote control costs money, you know that?!”

The younger girl rolled her eyes. Such a grumpy cheapass. “Sorry for that, it wasn’t intentional,” she deadpanned.

“I’m sure it wasn’t,” Kyungri sarcastically remarked.

Hyesun turned to look at Kyungri with the intention to snort at her but then she noticed she was wearing her coat like she was ready to go out, “You going somewhere?”

Kyungri nodded before smiling, “Yes, and you’re coming with me. The kitchen is nearly empty from feeding your stomach so now let’s go!”

 

 

After the two finished with their grocery shopping, they decided to straightly go home instead of going somewhere else. Hyesun was looking out of the window when they stopped at the traffic light. Her eyes then went to a nearby stall and she noticed a familiar looking figure was drinking at the stall. She thought her eyes were misleading her but she was sure she knew that figure.

She turned to Kyungri, “Drop me off here.”

Kyungri, who was whistling to a song played on the radio looked at her cousin as if she was out of her mind, “Are you crazy?! Why would I do that? I’m not letting you.”

She started begging, “Kyungri, please. I—”

“My answer is no! It’s almost 10 now. We’re going home,” the older was stern with her decision.

Hyesun clung onto Kyungri’s arm, “I really need to. I saw my friend at a stall, all alone and she was freaking drunk! What if anything happens to her? There’s no way I could ignore what I’ve seen,” she reasoned.

Kyungri sighed, “Fine, I’ll wait for you—”

“No, you don’t have to. I think it might take me long. You can just go home first. I’ll call you if I need you to pick me up, okay?”

Kyungri stared at her cousin before sighing again, “Alright. If you don’t call me by 11, I’ll go here to find you and if I can’t find you by 12, I’ll make a police report, okay?”

Hyesun laughed but still nodded, “Okay! I’ll go now!” she then opened the door of the car and quickly ran across the street.

“Be safe, you brat,” Kyungri said, more to herself since Hyesun was quick to disappear. Just then, she was honked by the cars behind since the light already turned green but her car wasn’t moving yet. She looked at the back mirror and snorted. Such impatient idiots...

 

 

Hyesun carefully took steps towards the stall. She then sat down at the same table as the person she was looking at earlier. The person didn’t even bother to pour down the beer into the cup instead she just drank straight from the bottle. There were a few bottles which had been opened and finished scattered on the table but she just casually sipping down another bottle even though it was obvious that she couldn’t tolerate more alcohol intake anymore. Besides if there were any cops around, she’d be dead for underage drinking.

Hyesun decided to snatch the bottle the person was currently holding and put it on the table, “Stop drinking, Naeun.”

The person or namely Son Naeun was lost for a few seconds to see the bottle of beer she was just holding earlier suddenly went gone in her grip. She looked around but then her eyes landed on the person in front of her; Hyesun. Her gaze on the girl was blank before she erupted in loud laughter out of nowhere.

It panicked Hyesun to see Naeun laughing all of sudden. She grabbed Naeun’s arm, “Naeun, you’ve drunk too much. Let’s get home, alright?”

Naeun stopped laughing for a while and she tilted her head left and right, viewing Hyesun from all angles she could get before she laughed again and this time, she also clapped her hands.

Hyesun was surprised with the drunken Naeun. Naeun that she knows is calm and collected most of the time but to see her getting drunk and being out of her mind was totally a new sight to see. She wondered what had pushed Naeun until she went like this. A little bit nervous, since she didn’t really know how to handle a drunken person, she softly put her palm on Naeun’s wrist, “Naeun, what’s wron—”

But her question was cut off when Naeun suddenly called a name that perked her interest, “Bae Suzy, what are you doing here? Are you here to get drunk as well? I’m sure you missed drinking and partying right. Does your current world allow you to do such stuff? Anyway, this is so stupid and unbelievable, how did a dead person like you come back to life? Did the angel from hea— no I mean did the satan in the hell cannot even tolerate a person like you? But really, why do you look for me? Why not you go to Myungsoo? Hmm? Hmmmmmm?” she mumbled but Hyesun caught every word she said.

I need to let her ramble stuff. I need to hear Naeun’s point of view, how she feels about Suzy and things. It wasn’t that she was trying to take advantage over a person who was under the influence but things just got in her favour.

Naeun held a bottle of beer and knocked it against the table which shocked Hyesun, “Bae Suzy, aren’t you going to say anything to me now that you’re here? Who knows if the satan is actually looking for you right now so before you get dragged back to hell, the place where you belong the most, don’t you have at least a few words to me? But it’s okay if you don’t want to talk, let me do all the talking, alright? You just sit there and listen to what I’ve got to say, understood?” she then went closer to Hyesun’s face and narrowed her eyes before sitting back on the chair.

Hyesun nodded hear head, “Just say whatever you have to tell me, I’m listening,” she changed her voice tone a little bit so Naeun wouldn’t notice. Although she didn’t know how Suzy sounded but she could only hope for the best, as long as Naeun didn’t remember she was actually talking to Hyesun the next worning when she woke up.

Naeun threw a look of disbelief at her before resentfully sniggered, “Since when did Bae Suzy listen to me? I must say I’m amused. Here let me tell you something that I wasn’t able to tell when you were alive, but as long as I get to say it to you, I don’t care either you’re alive or dead,” she then stood up from her seat while angrily pointing a finger at Hyesun, “I hate you, Bae Suzy. I really hate you. I despise you so much. You’re someone that I hate the most in this life. I swear if you appear again in my next life, I’ll kill you! I’ll kill you!!!” she shouted, her body swaying left and right due to the alcohol she took which made her lost both her balance and awareness.

Hyesun gulped. She had no idea Naeun hated Suzy this much. She could only think of a reason why Naeun hated Suzy; because L chose Suzy as his girlfriend. Did L dating Suzy anger Naeun so much? Once again, her mind was filled with unanswered questions. Her focus went back to Naeun who was still pointing finger at her. She raised up from the chair as well and took Naeun’s hand before putting it down by her side, “Naeun, don’t say that. You’re too drunk that you’re sprouting nonsense.”

It angered Naeun even more to hear “Suzy” saying that she was saying nonsense, “Even if I’m drunk, I know exactly what I’m saying right now and you, out of all people have no right to say that I’m being nonsensical because your existence itself is nonsensical! Do you know what had you done to me?! You’ve killed me emotionally right when you took Myungsoo away from me. Myungsoo and I were picture perfect before you came into the picture and ruined everything that I’d built up for both me and Myungsoo. My years of effort went down the drain because of a bad person like you!

I was almost so sure that he liked me too but you just had to seduce him and take him away from me! And when you died, I was partly glad because I thought I stood a chance with him when you were no longer in the picture but guess what? He hated me. He said I was stupid. I was stupid for loving him! I don’t understand why it would always be you! I hate you for making Myungsoo hated me and told me that I was stupid just because I love him. I hate you for making Myungsoo fell for everything you. But I hate you the most because you’re Bae Suzy!” angry tears wetted her eyes as she said every word, which Hyesun couldn’t understand whether it was hatred or hurtful.

Hyesun took a deep breath as information started to get into her brain, “Don’t hate me, Naeun. Didn’t we take care of each other a lot back then?”

Naeun laughed again to hear that. She shook her head, “Why shouldn’t I hate you? Besides we hate each other, remember, you idiot? I bullied you back in middle school and you held that grudge until high school! That’s why you took my Myungsoo away, you were freaking using him to get back at me because you know I love him. Out of everything you could have taken away from me, you chose Kim Myungsoo!” her hands were formed into fists as she glared at ‘Suzy’ with murderous eyes.

But then the corner of her lips twitched upwards, smirking even though her eyes remained fuming, “But look at you now, Bae Suzy. You’re just a wandering soul. At least I’m still alive after that incident.”

Curiosity got onto Hyesun as she couldn’t help but directly asking, “That incident?”

Naeun took another gulp of alcohol before meekly nodding, “Yeah, the night you died,” she answered as her forehead knocked onto the table before she completely passed out.

Hyesun looked at the knocked out lass in front of her with questions came flooding her mind. Was Naeun involved in anything that night Suzy was killed? Could she perhaps, accidentally kill Suzy? Maybe they were in a fight or... This is killing me!

She sighed. She knew it wasn’t easy to get every piece of information within a night but she knew everything would be revealed little by little from now.

She then took Naeun’s phone from her bag. Fortunately she knew the lock pattern of the latter’s phone. She wrote a text message to L.Joe telling him to pick Naeun up. She made sure to write the text message just as how Naeun would write before pressing the send button. She put down the phone on the table, casting the girl a one last look before making her way to the nearest bus stop.

The buses kept coming and going but Hyesun didn’t even take any of them. She was too preoccupied with her thoughts on Naeun, Suzy, L.Joe, L and everyone on what had taken place in the past. Her phone then rang which made her come back to her sense. It was a call from Kyungri.

Right... She must be worried right now.

 

 

Hyesun was in the last cubicle in the washroom and was about to open the lock of the door before she heard two recognizable voices having a conversation. She sat down on the toilet and tried to focus on their exchange. Since she had missed the early parts of the conversation, she just listened to the rest in hope to gain some important information.

“I was drunk last night and I couldn’t remember how the hell did I send a message to L.Joe telling him to pick me up. To think that I was talking to Bae Suzy last night, could it be her? Did she send the message to L.Joe? Could she be- Oh my god! Is she trying to haunt me?!” it was Naeun talking. It was obvious how she sounded so panicky.

“Do you know how stupid and nonsensical you sound like right now? Stop talking nonsense, Naeun! It was just you being too drunk. I bet you’re still hungover right now,” Mina definitely didn’t buy Naeun’s words and was far from convinced with what Naeun said.

“I swear, Kwon Mina, I swear I talked to her! It was really her! She talked to me with that annoying voice of hers. If it wasn’t her then who could it be? You and I both know her family wouldn’t care, especially her sister. That Bae Irene woman—wait. What if she- is she going to...”

Silence took over between the two of them before Mina broke it off, “Naeun, you’re doing it again. You’re overthinking it. Naeun, listen to me. You have done nothing wrong!” Mina half-shouted at the other girl.

“No, Mina, you don’t understand. I was there, Mina, I was there! And I ran away... That’s where I did wrong! I ran away...” Naeun’s voice slowed down as the guilt came back consuming her innerself.

Mina let out a defeated sigh. She knew she couldn’t let Naeun overthink again but she didn’t know what could she do at the moment. She spoke to the other girl, “It’s better to end this conversation here. Just please, don’t talk about this anymore,” Mina said, her voice was stern. She stared at Naeun, whom had her gaze fixed on the floor. She thought it would be better to let Naeun alone so within seconds, Mina had left the washroom.

Naeun steadied herself by holding onto the tiled sink when she felt her head get heavy. She wanted to cry but she knew better not to.

Hyesun figured it would be best for her to get out from the cubicle at that moment so she did. Words couldn’t describe how surprised and even terrified Naeun looked when she saw Hyesun coming out from one of the cubicles.

“H-How long have you been in there?” Naeun asked while trying to manage her expression.

“Long enough,” Hyesun gave a short answer as she observed the other’s face. It was apparent on how anxious Naeun was.

“So you heard—”

Hyesun pretended not to hear what Naeun said as she stretched her body, “I feel so refreshed now that I’ve taken a nap.”

Naeun didn’t let that information slip as she curtly asked, “You took a nap?”

“Yeah. Can you believe it I was actually sleeping in the cubicle? Trust me, I can’t believe myself either,” Hyesun laughed which sounded so natural.

“So you were in there, sleeping the whole time?” Naeun asked to make sure.

Hyesun only nodded before asking, “Why?”

A sigh of relief could be heard from Naeun’s mouth. She then smiled at the other girl, “Nothing. Like you said, I can’t believe it too,” this time around, it was Naeun who faked her laugh.

Hyesun then clung her arm onto Naeun’s, “Now that I’ve reenergised, let’s go to class!” she said while dragging Naeun with her.

But again, in her mind, question marks were everywhere. You were there and you ran away. Where were you, Son Naeun? What were you running away from and why did you run away? Would the things that happened wouldn’t happen if you didn’t run away?

 

 

 

 

 

I think things are progressing quite slowly and it would take me 2894723 years to finish so I guess I'll start to rush onto things I'm sorry u_u