[o11.

It Hurts to Hurt You

 

 

 

Hyesun stared at the small notice board in front of the library for a long time before letting out a groan, “The library is closed temporarily due to some renovation?! Seriously, at times like this?!” she then took out her phone from her bag and sent a text message to L.Joe. It was such a hard work for her to get L.Joe’s phone number. After begging him so many times, he eventually gave in because of her tone-deaf singing and cringe-worthy aegyo which made her happy where she nearly hugged him.

+ The library is closed so where’d we work on our project? And where are you anyway?

After minutes of patiently waiting, her phone beeped. Her eyes nearly fell out her sockets when she read his reply.

/ Cancel it then. In my bed.

+ We only have two days and you’re suggesting we should cancel it? It’s not funny at all. Give me your home address.

As much as she wanted to curse him on the phone, but she couldn’t do so because she was still pretty embarrassed at last night’s incident where L.Joe admitted her as his girlfriend.

/ Do it by yourself then. What for?

+ Excuse me? You want me to do it alone? You’re really- I want to break your bed.

/ I’m really...? Charismatic, charming, cool? My bed is unbreakable, like me.

+ Conceited jerk. Let’s do it at my house.

/ Thank you. No.

+ What do you mean ‘no’? Either you’re coming to my house in an hour or else I’m going to your house.

/ No means no. But you don’t know my home address?

+ Change it to yes. I’ll ask your friends for it.

 

“So, where do we work on our project?”

A voice behind Hyesun shocked the girl as she gasped. She turned around at an instance and frowned, “Asks someone who said he was still in his bed a few minutes ago.”

L.Joe chortled, “Okay, don’t nag me. Isn’t it good to see me here right now?”

“It sure does. Regarding to your question earlier, it seems like we have no choice but to do it at my house. Is that okay with you?” Hyesun suggested even though she was worried for her own self because Kyungri never allowed Hyesun to do any school project if she had male partners at Kyungri’s house. Coincidently, Kyungri was out of town that day. Let’s just hope Kyungri won’t be back until late night.

L.Joe gave a disbelief look to the girl. He had never stepped into a girl’s house and he didn’t intend to do so, “Don’t you have a better place in mind?”

“Do you?” Hyesun asked him without answering his question, “Or maybe, we should do it at your house?” Jeon Hyesun, what are you talking about?! You did not just ask a boy to invite you in his house like no! Please don’t agree, Lee Byunghun, please. She mentally yelled at herself.

“No way!” L.Joe quickly reacted to her question, “Fine, your house it is!”

As much as I thank you so much for saying no to my question, but then again... “Don’t you really have any place in mind? Just anywhere? Well, I’m afraid if you’re not comfortable to do this project at my house,” Hyesun shrugged.

“Nothing comes into my mind so let’s just go to your house and finish this bothersome homework soon,” L.Joe decided.

“Fine....”

 

Both of the young teens stepped out from the elevator once it reached the 7th floor where Kyungri’s apartment was located. The girl was one step ahead of the boy.

“Wait!” L.Joe yelped as he grabbed Hyesun’s arm which made the latter turn around in confusion.

“What now?” she asked.

“Who do you live with? And is anyone home?”

“I live with my older female cousin but she’s not home right now. Why?”

A sigh of relief was heard from L.Joe, “That’s good.”

Hyesun’s forehead formed a crease hearing his answer, “Why is it good? You don’t have something bad in mind, do you?”

It made L.Joe chortled, “What do you take me for? A ert?” he took one step closer to her, “A girl harasser?” another step, “Or a stalker?” and he moved very close to her, “Do I look like those?” which made the girl’s back hit the wall.

Hyesun gulped but she didn’t look away from his stare, “Forget it. I’m just being careful. Besides I’m not that close with you, at least not yet so I’m not sure if I can trust you that much,” she wisely replied as she pushed his body from being too close with hers and walked ahead of him, “Let’s finish our project as soon as possible.”

L.Joe made a gentle smirk and followed the girl’s lead before stopping in front of an apartment with the number ‘2990’ pasted on the door. He stared at Hyesun’s face for a long time when she was typing in the password. She looks easy, but I’m sure she’s not that easy.

“Come in,” Hyesun invited him in as she put her bag on a single sofa in the living room.

L.Joe briefly nodded and made his way into the medium-sized apartment. He could already smell the scent of lavender spreading in the house as his eyes looked around for some cool things. One thing he could conclude; girls.

“Don’t just stand around, have a seat,” the girl pointed to the L-shaped sofa.

L.Joe sat on the sofa and took out his stuffs from his bag before putting his stuffs on the coffee table and his bag on the floor.

“Do you want any drink?” Hyesun asked the boy.

“Sure. Juice sounds good,” he replied back.

Hyesun went to the kitchen and prepared the drinks. She took some snacks in the cabinet and put the snacks together with the drinks on a tray before making her way back to the living room. She put down the tray on the coffee table and handled the juice to L.Joe, “Here’s your juice.”

L.Joe took the glass of juice from the girl’s hand and mouthed a thank you before sipping down the juice. He smiled at the sweet taste and enjoyed the juice as his hand snatched some snack.

“Do you think you’re in some juice ads or what? Put the glass down for awhile and we should start doing our work now!” Hyesun nagged the boy.

L.Joe rolled his eyes, “Take it slow, woman. We still have less than 48 hours to finish the work,” as he continued drinking the juice and finishing it; not even leaving a single drop, “Can you refill my drink?”

“Sure, but you have to wait until lunch time. For now, let’s do this awaiting works,” she decided and adjusted her laptop’s position on the table.

L.Joe sighed as he looked at his watch before looking at the laptop screen. I can’t believe I’m actually following her order. Lee Byunghun, you’re sick!

Two hours passed and soon it was nearing lunch time. Hyesun closed the reference book in her hand and looked at L.Joe, “Do you want more juice?”

L.Joe; who was yawning at the moment immediately closed his widely opened mouth and turned to look at the girl, “Sure!” man, I sound too excited for some juice, don’t I?

Hyesun lightly chuckled as she took the glass on the table and went to the kitchen. She took out a carton of juice from the fridge and poured it down in the glass. She brought both of the juice and the glass to the living room. She then put them down on the table, in front of L.Joe, “Drink this first while I go prepare for lunch.”

“Alright,” the lad shortly said.

Hyesun walked away from the living room with a frown. He’s not even offering any help?! Tch, I should have known better and didn’t expect anything from him.

Almost an hour later, Hyesun finished cooking the dishes for lunch. She looked at her cooked dishes with a satisfied smile. It’s okay to take some times as long as my dishes look fine. Let’s hope L.Joe’s throat can take this. She walked back to the living room and called for L.Joe.

“Hey L.Joe, lunch is ready. Do you want—” she couldn’t continue her sentence when she saw a figure was lying flat on the sofa; sleeping soundlessly. She stared at the sleeping person in front of her and contemplated either to wake him up or let him sleep for a little. But she didn’t want to starve her guest so she softly shook L.Joe’s shoulder to wake him up.

“L.Joe, I’ve prepared lunch. Can you wake up now?” she asked to the eyes shut L.Joe. Seeing no response from him, she shook his body a little vigorously so it would be easy to wake him up, “Wake up now or else I’m going to finish the meals by myself. If you insist on starving yourself— ahh!”

L.Joe suddenly grabbed her wrist which shocked Hyesun and made her yelp unintentionally. He opened his eyes to see a stunned looking face of Hyesun right in front of his face. Deep in his heart, he admitted that her looks was mesmerising him even though she wasn’t the most beautiful girl that he had ever encountered.

“Lunch is ready?” Hyesun said rather in a questioning voice.

L.Joe quickly let go of the girl’s wrist from his grip and he got up from the sofa. He tidied himself and looked at the mirror in the living room to check his face. Satisfied with how he looked, he walked to the dining table and took his seat on the wooden chair.

“You prepared all these by yourself?” he asked Hyesun after setting his eyes on the dishes.

The asked lass hesitantly nodded her head to the question, “Why? Do you expect more? I’m not a great cook and these are the only dishes that I’m kind of confident at. Just eat it if you don’t want to starve your stomach,” she said; sounding somewhat upset.

L.Joe chuckled to see the girl’s reaction, “I’m not even saying anything bad and you’re saying as if I’m not grateful with the dishes you cook. Just for you to know, chicken stew is my favourite,” he said as he took the peeled chicken and brought it onto his bowl of rice before mixing it with the rice. He took a large bite and chewed the food.

“How is it?” Hyesun asked with anticipation.

L.Joe looked at the girl and gulped the food down, “Your chicken stew tastes splendid.”

“Really? Then eat more, take the seaweed soup and kimchi too!” she smiled at the boy as she put the dishes closer to L.Joe.

L.Joe smiled seeing how bright her expression was. Even though her chicken stew isn’t the best chicken stew I’ve ever eaten, it’s still nice and even better to see her smile.

 

 

It was nearing evening and the two teens were still working on their project. L.Joe noticed his partner was starting to be less energetic than this morning. He snapped his fingers in front of her which made Hyesun blink and look at him with confusion.

“What is it?” she asked in a weak voice.

“Are you tired?” the lad asked.

Hyesun briskly nodded to his question once before her head collapsed on the table.

L.Joe lightly smiled in amusement to see her reacting that way, “Let’s get some fresh air, shall we?”

Hyesun shot up once hearing L.Joe’s suggestion and her expression brightened, “We shall!”

 

 

 

Hyesun and L.Joe were strolling around a park near the apartment. There were people recreating here and there and kids were playing around at the playground. The two teens were only walking in silence; neither comfortable nor awkward.

“Lee Byunghun, it’s surprising to see you here,” an unwelcomed voice greeted.

Two pairs of eyes shot up to their front. One was shocked, and the other one felt bitter about the male figure.

“What are you doing here, Kim Myungsoo?” L.Joe didn’t take long to ask him the question.

“What would I do at a recreation park anyway? Are you that stupid not to know?” L mocked as he glanced the silent girl with the corner of his eyes.

“Out of all parks, why here? And I’m sure it takes you long from your neighbourhood to get here? Why would you even bother to come here?” L.Joe asked; curious. Don’t tell me this moron is up for something.

“Since my baby girl lives nearby?” this time L stared right at Hyesun and a smirk appeared on his face.

“Who the hell are you talking about?” L.Joe despised the look that L gave to Hyesun.

“Jeon Hyesun?” L lifted an eyebrow mockingly.

L.Joe froze to hear the name that came out from L’s mouth, “If you’re talking about this Jeon Hyesun,” he suddenly s his arm around Hyesun’s waist and pulled her closer to him, “then you’re just being delusional because she’s mine.”

It made L laugh, “You sure she’s yours? All yours? Maybe she’s yours now, but who knows if she was once mine and would be mine again soon?”

Hyesun threw a sharp gaze to L which was ignored by the latter. Stop it, Kim Myungsoo. What are you trying to do actually? You’re not helping at all!

“In your biggest dream! She was never yours, and she won’t be yours! She’ll stay with me until the end and you stand no chance at all,” once saying that, L.Joe immediately dragged Hyesun with him and walked passed L as their shoulders bumped roughly; which was intentional.

In a few seconds, Hyesun’s phone beeped. She took it out from her pocket and opened the new message. Her eyes hardened and she mentally sighed.

Meet us tonight or I’ll reveal everything to that idiot.

“Are you okay? I’m sorry that whenever we bump into him, I need to address you as my girlfriend—”

“I’m fine, it’s just a small thing. Well, my cousin texts me saying she’d be coming home so you need to go back now. For the rest, I’ll finish it myself. If there’s anything, I’ll inform you about it, alright?” Hyesun tonelessly explained.

L.Joe was a little bit taken aback with her sudden mood change, “O-kay.”

She knew it seemed like she was being rude but she just couldn’t help it at the moment. Her mind was full of her dearest seven best friends, especially the guy named Kim Myungsoo. She knew she needed to solve something else with him.