[o22.

It Hurts to Hurt You

 

First love—what exactly is first love? Does it leave good memories to be cherished for the rest of your life? Or does it give you bitter feeling which pains you so much? To Hyesun, there’s no doubt that she’d choose the latter. Everything about ‘first love’ hurts her. Did the feeling was even real? She highly doubted it. Rather than first love, it was more to a one-sided love. She felt extremely stupid for trusting someone whom she shouldn’t even trust in the first place. She ignored what the world was trying to tell her because of one stupid relationship. She had to admit she was young at that time—she wanted to get the feeling of being loved; having someone to love you dearly.

She regretted her decision to merely follow her young boiling blood. Despite regretting it, at least she learned a lesson; never give your trust to someone easily. And she learned to feel the pain of losing your loved one; even though in this case it meant she no longer loved him. She had always wanted to thank him for leaving her deep scars and wounds in her heart because that was how she matured herself and she learned more about the outside world. She discovered that the world is not about yourself, it involves others and how people in this world can turn on your back in a second.

Hyesun looked at her wristwatch, “Just how long have I been hiding here?” she totally lost track of times.

She got out of the cubicle and directly stared at the reflection of herself in the mirror. She fixed her uniform and tied her hair into a messy bun.

“Smile, Jeon Hyesun, smile. Keep smiling and don’t let them discover your facade. You’re okay, you have forgotten what happened long time ago and you won’t let anyone hurts you anymore,” but you’ll hurt someone in the way; she continued in mind as she smiled at the mirror.

Finally satisfied with her appearance, she twisted the doorknob of the restroom and made her way out. Before she could take another step, a hand grabbed her on the shoulder and she couldn’t even get a grasp of what was happening as she let out a small yelp and the next thing she knew was someone had pinned her to the wall which left her helpless.

Hyesun’s heart pounded like crazy when her eyes met the eyes of the one who was trapping her onto the wall. Out of everyone else, why must him? She wasn’t prepared at all for this encounter. She wasn’t ready to face him; especially not when she knew deep inside she could break down in any minute.

“What do you think you’re doing?” the girl hissed as she tried to break free from him by pushing him. She literally used all her strength but her strength was certainly nothing to be compared to his.

The guy; or precisely Lee Hongbin smirked seeing her attempt to loosen herself from him, “You’re not thinking that you’re going to succeed, right?” with that, he pushed her harder onto the wall.

Hyesun flinched at Hongbin’s force. She was lucky that she made her hairs into a bun or else she swore her world was going to spin round and round at that moment.

“What the hell do you want from me, Lee Hongbin?” her voice was harsh as she stared at him. She tried not to look unnerving in front of him.

“I’m surprised that you still remember my name. Is this really the same girl that once told me ‘I’m not going to remember you anymore. I’ll delete your name from my mind. I’ll throw away those stupid memories we once had or maybe I should say I once had. You’re just a piece of crap that don’t worth anything’?” those old words perfectly rolled out his mouth as he stared at the girl; anticipating for her reaction.

Instead of reacting to what the boy had expected her to, Hyesun gave him a light smirk, “I’m more surprised that you even remember what I once told you. I wonder if I’ve never left your mind for a second even after these two years?” she said as she encircled her hands around his neck. Two can play this game, Lee Hongbin.

Shock was almost evident in Hongbin’s eyes but he quickly controlled it from showing, “I hate to admit this, but I must say you might be right. I wonder if it is that obvious? Damn, I should have managed my expression better,” the male teasingly put both of his arms around Hyesun’s waist as he pulled her body closer to his torso; leaving a very small gap between them.

Hyesun’s body froze for a second but she didn’t let it show as her expression remained calm, “Wow, I’m shocked to hear that from you but nonetheless, I’ve expected that. From the moment I left you, I could tell you won’t be able to move on; or at least forget me. Do you know how cute you look when you’re being totally honest on not forgetting me? Are you sure you’re Lee Hongbin that I once knew?” she purposely tilted her head cutely as one of her hands moved from behind his neck and she poked his cheeks with her index finger.

Hongbin immediately grabbed her hand in a smooth move, “ Back at you; I doubt if you’re the old Jeon Hyesun. You must have changed a lot, huh? But I like this new you better. And yeah, I was too stupid to realise that I won’t be able to live without you. I thought I would be loads better after our break up but it turned out that I was wrong. I underestimated my heart when it told me that I would still need you and I would regret losing someone as precious as you,” only if you knew, Jeon Hyesun. And I hope you know that I’m not lying when I told you this. His hazel eyes bored into the girl’s brown orbs; literally pouring all his feelings towards her in a stare.

He might don’t know, but deep inside Hyesun nearly drowned into his one full of emotions and affection stare. But she reminded herself; this was the guy who once hurt her, who gave her so much pain, who cheated on her without bothering to explain himself. He could have lied and the naive her would still accept all those lies but instead he admitted his wrongdoing. But at least she knew how untruthful his feeling was at that moment. And one stare is not enough to prove how genuine his feelings are towards her. She doesn’t want to be deceived by the act he put.

Not letting her inner thoughts from showing right from her face, she gave him a gaze which she didn’t know could have shaken the boy inside, “Always a sweet talker, huh? You’re always so good with words. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought those words are really coming from your heart, not just from your full-of-craps-mouth. Are you trying to make me reconsider now huh? If that’s so, I’m sorry, darling, but you’re a little bit late,” she stuck out her lips a little; pretending a sulky expression.

Hongbin’s face gradually changed at her misinterpretation but at least he had expected such words coming from the lass so he wasn’t that disappointed, or at least that’s what he thought, “I’m not sure what this feeling is but my heart feels like it just got stabbed? If you don’t believe me, then here,” he took her hand and put her palm on his heart. He didn’t care if she could feel her heart beating fast because he wanted her to feel it.

Hyesun’s face remained stoic at his motion but as her palm touched his chest, she swore she could feel his heart pounding in a rapid motion against his chest. She then looked right into his eyes; as her eyes were filled with unanswered questions; why is your heart beating in an unexpected speed? Is it beating for me? No, I doubt it. But why isn’t my heart beating too? What are you trying to show me, Lee Hongbin?

Seeing how the girl’s eyes restlessly moved as she looked at him, he knew she was in doubt. The old Hyesun would be too naive to know what your heart did could affect you but the Hyesun who was standing in front of him sure knew it, “Do you think my heart beats fast for no reason? There are only you and me here, so it’s for you to think who else can make my heart beats like this?”

And damn, now my own heart starts to beat like I just ran a treadmill. Hyesun could swear she was about to knock her fist against her chest at the moment but no—that was just weird, “Oh really? As if I care?” not knowing what to answer, she only gave him a look that was believable enough that showed she didn’t care—at least that was what she hoped it turned out as.

“Well, you have to—” Hongbin halted mid-sentence when he heard footsteps coming. Having to dribble balls in court everyday sharpened his hearing and he could detect sounds easily. He didn’t want to leave a bad image for flirting with a Doguk girl when his team just won against the school so he immediately stepped away which meant letting go of the girl.

Hyesun was confused with his act for a second but then she assumed he might be tired to anymore but she knew her assumption went wrong when she heard a familiar voice calling out her name. Besides, she knew Hongbin hated to get caught by just anyone when he was doing something which could be categorized as inappropriate.

“Hyesun, here you are!” the voice was cheery with a mix of relief but his next sentence sounded hesitant, “Err am I disturbing anything?” L.Joe looked at the two persons in front of him with questions in mind. He didn’t know why but a gush of some unknown feelings flooded him. Feelings like jealousy?

Hyesun looked at L.Joe as the corner of her eyes glanced at Hongbin for a second before she sent a smile to L.Joe, “No, not at all. We just finished talking anyway,” she rushed to L.Joe’s side and abruptly held tight onto his arm which shocked the lad but luckily he said nothing or even worse, pushed her away. He tried to read situation and he knew it wasn’t lively.

“Shall we go?” L.Joe asked in a very boyfriend-tone to Hyesun as he held her waist.

The girl nodded her head in response. The two then turned around before Hongbin’s voice interrupted them.

“Don’t you want to introduce him to me, Sunnie?” Hongbin purposely emphasized the nickname.

Hyesun gritted her teeth at the nickname. That stupid nickname which was made up by her when they were still together and she gave him the ‘privilege’ to be the only one who called her by that name. Not even looking back at him, she retorted, “Maybe next time. Oh wait, there won’t be next time so no,” with that, Hyesun and L.Joe walked away from the gymnasium and didn’t even turn back.

Hongbin watched the two of them with hawk-like eyes. Albeit the two were already afar from him, he still could hear their conversation.

“Do you know how crazy I was when you went missing?” the boy pretended to be furious and knocked her temple with his knuckle.

“I don’t know. Would you like to show me?”

“Maybe next time. Oh wait, there won’t be next time so no.”

“Oh God, you’re such a clown,” the lass laughed as she slapped L.Joe’s arm.

“What did you just call me? Say it again if you dare!” he then started to tickle her.

Hyesun shrieked at his tickles, “Okay I won’t say it again! Stop it, boyfriend!”

“That’s how you should call me, girlfriend.”

“Child-like L.Joe.”

“Hey glutton, let’s go eat after school.”

“Excuse me who are you calling glutton here?!”

Their conversation sounded so genuine and Hongbin was questioning if L.Joe is really Hyesun’s boyfriend. They didn’t seem that believable if you truly looked at them using the other layer of your eyes but seeing how comfortable Hyesun looked, could they be somehow real?

 

 

 

 

Well, they would be. Or wouldn't they?