[o23.

It Hurts to Hurt You

 

 

Hyesun and L.Joe went to a fast-food restaurant to buy some foods since Ricky and Changjo were complaining how hungry they were during practice. The two patiently waited in line since there were many people in the restaurant.

“Seriously why can’t those two buy their own foods since they’re the most hungry,” L.Joe grumbled.

Hyesun just shrugged, “Like they said, they have zero energy to do just anything,” she chuckled; remembering how whiny Ricky and Changjo were.

“They are just too whiny and pampered, that’s why,” L.Joe huffed; remembering how both Ricky and Changjo had forced him to go with Hyesun.

The next few seconds were complete silence among the two teens. Hyesun was staring blankly at the menu. Even though she had memorised the meals provided, but she just had nowhere else to stare especially when the restaurant was so packed with people on your left and right.

L.Joe was looking at the ground before he lifted up his head. His eyes widened in horror as he gasped; realising what was about to take place.

“Be careful, Hyesun!” he shouted at the girl in front of her.

The ever clueless Hyesun looked at him with confusion and oblivious stare, “Huh?”

Not wasting a single second, L.Joe took the girl onto his warm embrace; shielding her from being spattered with hot chocolates. A man who was holding two cups of hot chocolates tripped on his step which resulting the hot drinks to loosen from his grip.

The splash from the accidentally-thrown hot drinks got on L.Joe’s back which made the lad wince; bearing with the pain. Hyesun looked at him with opened mouth and rounded eyes.

People in the fast food restaurant gasped at the scene. Even the workers at the counters stopped doing their jobs as they stared at what just happened in shock.

“Are you okay?” Hyesun asked; her worried tone was apparent.

L.Joe nodded his head once but his face was showing discomfort.

“You’re obviously not okay! Let’s get you to the nearest clinic,” the girl said.

“It’s okay, it’s not that serious though, I can manage,” L.Joe tried to assure the worried lass.

“Serious or not, you’re hurt because of me so I’m taking you to the clinic. Besides, your expression says the otherwise from what your mouth said. Don’t be so stubborn, Lee Byunghun,” Hyesun nagged.

“Fine,” L.Joe gave in. He knew how persistent she was about it besides it did cause him pain. He put his arm around her shoulder for support.

“Excuse me, miss?” the man who caused the incident interfered.

“What is it?” Hyesun looked at him with an intimidating look.

“Let me send you two to the clinic and pay for his medical fee since it’s m-my fault,” he said; his head lowered in guilt.

Trying to calm down, Hyesun answered, “Okay.”

The three walked off the restaurant with eyes not leaving them. Some whispers from the other customers could also be heard.

“Did you see how her boyfriend protected her?!”

“Such type of boyfriend is one to die for!”

“The two of them must be crazily in love!”

 

 

 

He watched the scene that just occurred in front of his two eyes with aching heart. For a moment, he was stunned. Too stunned.

Tell me, Hyesun. It’s an act, right? It’s not real, right? Those feelings shown through your eyes, it’s not true, is it?

His eyes didn’t leave the two even until their figures vanished completely from his sight. He acknowledged why his heart hurt so bad.

“Myungsoo, enough. They’re gone,” Sungyeol gave a comforting tap on his best friend’s shoulder.

L was tensed at the touch. He looked at his back, looking at Sungyeol for a few seconds before making his way out of the restaurant as the taller of the two followed him.

Still not forgetting the scene, L took a seat on a nearest bench outside the restaurant. He breathed heavily.

Sungyeol took the seat next to his best buddy, “Myung—”

“It hurts so bad, Yeol. Seeing her by his side. Did you see her reaction back then? It was almost genuine that I couldn’t tell if it was real or it was just one of her acts. Why would she care for him? Why would she get worried? Why?” L said as his eyes not leaving the ground. His piercing stare stayed at the soulless and innocent ground.

Sungyeol watched how L was at the verge of breaking down at the moment. L is his best friend; he could feel what the younger was feeling. It hurt seeing him in such state. Enough with what had happened years ago. The scar left was too painful to be forgotten. He didn’t want something like that to happen again; because he didn’t want anyone to be hurt during the process.

“I don’t mean to sound pessimistic for saying this but things are bound to happen, Myung. Just to remind you; no matter how much we want something, if God says no then it’s a no. Things such as fate and death aren’t controlled by us. Who are we to stop what God has arranged for us?” Sungyeol began; he was torn to say his words out loud but he knew he needed to say it for their sake.

L’s cold eyes snapped towards Sungyeol, “What are you trying to tell me?” he knew exactly what Sungyeol was struggling to say but he hoped his thought was wrong. No, Lee Sungyeol. Do not tell me such things. I’m not ready to hear it. Please, Yeol. Don’t say such words that I don’t intend to hear.

“I know you would be angry at me for saying this, but nonetheless I still have to say it. We all know Hyesun’s intention for approaching L.Joe is definitely not for good but we can’t expect what are bound happen during the process. And now she sticks next to him like almost every day, do you know what could happen, right when you’re always together with this one person?

Especially when it involves a girl and a boy. Sure, we always hear and see a boy and a girl addressing each other as best friends but in the end? One of them would always slip up. What I’m trying to say, which I believe you did get the picture, it’s not impossible for her to fall for him or vice versa. And seeing how the two are, it’s not shocking if they eventually fall for each other at this rate,” Sungyeol said as he studied L’s expression. He knew the expression on the younger’s face well. He realised his words were piercing but he didn’t want L to drown in his own fantasy.

L let out a cynical chuckle, “And what’s your intention for telling me such craps?” his eyes were glaring dagger at Sungyeol but the latter could care less.

“The first few months, you were always in denial about your feelings towards Hyesun. But you finally came to accept that you actually have loved the girl more than you should; more than the six of us do. It has been two years and you do nothing; completely nothing to let her know about it!” Sungyeol started to raise his voice in frustration.

L got up from the bench and he was gritting his teeth as he threw a pissed look at Sungyeol, “You do know why I haven’t do so! It’s not like I don’t have the courage but I don’t want to lose her! I’m scared of losing her!”

“So you rather have it this way? Bottling up all your feelings when you actually have the chance to let it out? So you’re implying you actually have the guts to do so? But then again, you were telling me you’re scared to lose her and guess what? That’s just show that you got no balls. That’s one coward move, Kim Myungsoo!” the taller spat in a challenging tone.

Collecting all his patience into a tight fist, L spoke with a heavy breath, “Don’t even start, Lee Sungyeol. You’re just a bunch of people saying that you know me well but you actually don’t. You understand nothing! You’re not even in my shoes so how would you understand what does it feel to be in my position?! So what if you see me as a coward? I’m doing it for my own sake and hers!”

“Oh really? I understand nothing? Do I need to be in the same boat as yours to understand what you’re feeling? Come on, how many years has it been since we become buddies? I have learned too much things about you. In fact, I think I understand you way better than you do. Seriously, that’s the best you could come up with? For your and her sake huh?

My god, Myung. Are you seriously going to keep it for the rest of your life? What if she finally finds the love of her life? And what if, that love is someone who goes by the name L.Joe?” Sungyeol’s lips curved a smirk. Yes, he was provoking L. He wanted him to be braver. He didn’t want to see his buddy losing before he could even participate.

To be honest, Sungyeol wasn’t so sure about how Hyesun felt towards L. Even though deep down in his heart he knew, Hyesun only saw L as her best friend and brother, and the same goes to the other Infinite members. As much as he wanted to deny what his heart thought, he knew better it was the bitter truth for L. But who knows, Hyesun could try to love L once she finds out about his feelings? That’s why Sungyeol would still force L to confess his hidden feelings.

As expected, L tensed up with the mention of someone whom he wished he wouldn’t be hearing about anymore, “Out of everyone, do you really have to bring up that traitor backstabber’s name?!”

“It’s because I figure out he’s the closest to be Hyesun’s fated one. He can confess to her anytime now and she would gladly accept him because of her game. But who knows, later on she might realise that she accepts him isn’t because she wants to fool him but rather she loves him for real?” Sungyeol continuously stabbed L’s heart with his provoking words. Although he wished what he just said wouldn’t happen but seeing how things were right now, he knew it was likely to turn out in that way.

Not being able to contain his exploded anger inside, that was like the last blow for L. In a blink of eye, L had grabbed Sungyeol’s tee’s neck forcefully, “Where the hell did you get such stupid and baseless theory from?! Let me tell you straight, Lee Sungyeol, that’s not going to happen! Or at least I’ll stop it from happening if it’s about to happen which I believe it’s unlikely to. If you ever dare to come up with such pathetic ideas again, I don’t care who you are; best friend or not, I swear this fist of mine will land on your face!” he bellowed with determined eyes as he let go of Sungyeol’s tee neck harshly.

Sungyeol lost his balance due to L’s strong force but he managed to stand still. I guess I hit too much nerve than I should have. He gave one mischievous grin to L, “Sure, let’s see how things are going to turn out as. Just to let you know, I’m looking out for your powerful punch anyway.”

 

 

 

After being examined and treated by the doctor, L.Joe was allowed to go home. Once L.Joe went out from the room, Hyesun immediately ran to him, “How are you feeling?”

L.Joe chuckled to see how worried she looked, “Better than before. Don’t worry too much about me,” he ruffled her hair for a few seconds before running his hand away, realising it would be awkward since he never did that.

But Hyesun was too worried to give attention to little things, “Are you sure you’re okay? How many off days did the doctor give you?”

“The doctor gave me two days off,” L.Joe answered.

Hyesun rounded her eyes, “Two days only? You would need more! You should have a long rest—”

L.Joe put his index finger on her nagging mouth to shut her off, which gladly worked, “It’s just a small burn. It’ll heal fast and I don’t need to rest that much,” he reasoned.

Hyesun blinked before backing away a little, her cheeks pinking at the little touch. God, why does this suddenly feel awkward? Damn, I guess I did worry too much about him. “Fine then if you say so. If anything, it’d be painful for you, not me.”

Noticing the girl wasn’t comfortable with his little action, he hid his hand behind his back as he cleared his throat.

“Excuse me?”

Two heads snapped at the interrupting voice of a man. It was the man from earlier.

“I’m really sorry for what happened earlier. It was my fault and if only I had been more careful about it, such incident wouldn’t happen. I sincerely apologise for my carelessness,” the plump man repeatedly apologised to the teens.

“It’s okay. Such things always happened out of our control. But let me tell you this, you’re lucky that the drink didn’t spill on my girlfriend or else I can guarantee, you would have been brought to the emergency room by now,” L.Joe jokingly said to the man as the both of them laughed.

Hyesun didn’t know why but her heart fluttered at the moment. Not just that moment, but nearly every time. The constancy of calling each other ‘girlfriend’ and ‘boyfriend’ didn’t really help about it.

Just what is this feeling? No matter what it is, please don’t let it be a bad one.