[o13.

It Hurts to Hurt You

 

“Good job, Lee Byunghun, Jeon Hyesun. It is one great presentation by you two and I love your handout. I’ll give you 88 marks,” Ms. Jo complimented her two students as she wrote down their marks in her teacher’s planner, “You may proceed to your seats.”

Hyesun thanked the teacher while Byunghun gave a slight nod as they went back to their seats. The students in the class clapped their hands; being respectful to their classmates.

Right after the two settled down onto the chairs, Naeun and Mina both showed their thumbs ups to the two, “I must say your presentation is pretty excellent,” Naeun said.

“And who knows our little bad boy over here can be such a great presenter today?” Mina smirked at L.Joe as the latter only shook his head at her teasing.

“I know right? Our L.Joe is definitely changing for good,” Naeun chuckled as her eyebrows were lifted up and down.

L.Joe sighed, “Stop it, you two,” as his eyes went to the front of the class, “Hey Son Naeun, your crush and your admirer are presenting right now, keep your head up to the front!”

Naeun flushed red as she looked upfront. It was Kim Jongin; the captain of the school’s basketball team and Lee Taemin; the captain of the school’s soccer team. They both were known as being best friends since they were in diapers and they apparently are among the hottest boys in school.

Mina was amused seeing how Naeun reacted, “Someone is in a big dilemma.”

 

 

 

“How many times in a week do I eat lunch with you two? Once, twice? Or even once in two weeks?” Hyesun asked when the three girls; her, Mina and Naeun finally settled down on a table of four.

Mina and Naeun could only send apologetic smiles to their friend as Naeun said, “We’re seriously sorry that we always couldn’t make it up for you. It must be one lonely lunch for you when we weren’t with you, huh?”

“You’re talking as if I’m a loner and I can’t survive without you two,” Hyesun jokingly huffed at the pretty girls as she shoved a spoonful of rice into .

“What? You’re not one?” Mina’s lips curled into a mischievous smile.

Hyesun looked at Mina as she pointed her chopstick at her, “Why does it seem like you enjoy teasing people nowadays, Kwon Mina?” Naeun rolled her eyes at Hyesun’s ‘understatement’, “Please, she has been teasing people since 1993.”

The said girl only smiled and quietly ate her meals. As she was chewing down her food, her eyes stopped at a certain someone and she shyly smiled at the person.

Both Naeun and Hyesun trailed off to see what Mina was looking at to make her smile like that. Naeun was the first one to react as she grunted, “You two should really get a table and eat together and stare at each other forever and feed each other and be lovey dovey without distracting the public—”

“Hold on, I understand nothing?” Hyesun held up her palms in the air and stared at her two friends, “Explain.”

“Right, it’s been nearly a month since we’ve been friends but how did I leave out such big thing at you? This girl over here,” Naeun pointed her index finger at Mina, “is sick in love with some guy over there,” before nodding her head at a group of six boys that was two tables apart from their table.

“Someone among L.Joe’s friends?” Hyesun shortly responded with a small gasp. Naeun nodded her head, “Yes, baby. And that unlucky boy is Lee,” Hyesun’s eyes had rounded twice bigger. No, it can’t be. There’s no way I’m stealing someone else’s boyfriend. There’s no way I’m breaking apart my own friend’s relationship! “... Chanhee.”

Hyesun; who was in total blank at that moment stared at Naeun when she heard some other name was mentioned than what she had expected in mind, “Lee who?”

“Lee Chanhee, also known as Chunji better,” seeing how Hyesun was looking completely clueless at the moment, Naeun pointed out, “There’s him, who’s sitting next to L.Joe, on the left. On L.Joe’s right is Ricky, the most annoying brat who could ever see.”

Mina laughed at Naeun’s name to Ricky, “He’s not annoying. He’s such a fun kid, okay?”

“That’s because he only acts all nice to you!” Naeun objected. True; Ricky always had been nice to Mina but he would only tease and annoy Naeun. There was one day, Naeun finally lost the temper that she was building up and apparently threw Ricky with her textbooks that hit his face and head. Luckily, no major injury was recorded.

“Maybe he has some noona crush at you, that’s why he acts like that,” Hyesun’s words made Mina rolled with laughter as the soup that she sipped down earlier spurted out , “Oh my god, why haven’t I thought of that? Hyesun’s probably right about it.”

Naeun’s face went red at her friends’ laughing over something that was so ‘hilarious’, “It’s not funny, you two. Maybe it would be funny if I eventually throw this soup of mine at your face,” she glared dagger at her friends as her hand was put near the bowl of soup.

“Come on, laugh a bit,” Mina slyly smiled as she dragged Naeun’s bowl of soup towards her in case if Naeun really did what she said. This Son Naeun is capable of doing anything unexpected and one thing, Naeun loves throwing things.

Hyesun was still thinking about Mina being the girlfriend of Chunji. From what she noticed, Chunji is the quiet type and he didn’t care about her presence around Teen Top. It wasn’t that he didn’t care, it was more like he was bothered, but he decided not to say anything. Besides he had never talked to her like the other guys. Did he probably get a bad vibe from me? But maybe he is just such person.

“How long have you two been together?” Hyesun asked in interest.

“Last summer,” Mina curtly answered.

“That’s quite long! It’s amazing considering that he doesn’t really look like some dating type guy,” Hyesun chuckled.

Naeun abruptly snapped her fingers, “God, I know right? He never cared about girls from what I see but this woman over here manages to steal his heart. I must say that’s one of the biggest achievements in Kwon Mina’s life,” she exaggerated.

Mina shook her head, “Rather than me getting Chunji, it’s still some little stuff compared to if any girl manages to get L.Joe.”

Naeun choked on her drink to hear that, “You and I both know it seems almost impossible,” she said as she patted her chest.

The topic immediately garnered Hyesun’s attention, “Why is that?” I need to know every single thing about him and it seems like Mina and Naeun know a lot. I don’t want to look as if I’m using them, but this is an advantage.

Both Mina and Naeun looked each other and sent some sign from their eyes which clearly read should we tell her?

Hyesun gazed at the two and she noticed the uneasiness in their eyes, “Never mind if you don’t want to tell me. I’m not curious to know anyway,” she gave a small smile and continued to finish her meals.

Naeun’s eyes went to L.Joe for a few second, “It just he had some bad history about girls,” she whispered, “and friends.”

History about girls? Friends? What? Trying to steal his friend’s girlfriend and then kill the girl? Not even showing any guilt for what damage he had done? Is that it? Hyesun could have swore if she didn’t control her emotion at that time, she would have an outburst there.

“Most likely he has some trust issue. The only friends that he trusts are us two and Teen Top. But it seems like he has started to show his trust towards you,” Mina raised an eyebrow at Hyesun and beamed, “And it’s a good thing.”

“One thing; don’t do anything that may loosen his trust on you before he fully trusts you. You’re like a new hope of trust for him. You’re getting there so if you somehow destroy the trust that he’s building on you, you’re going to regret it lifetime,” Naeun advised the girl; which sounded like a warning.

Hyesun gulped. I’m going to destroy his trust. Once everything is over, I don’t need his trust anymore so I won’t regret it lifetime. Even though she was disturbed by Naeun’s warning, she tried to remain her best expression, “How long have you two been friends with L.Joe and the others?”

“Long enough for him to trust us. Was it during middle school that we started befriending him?” Naeun nodded to Mina’s question, “Yeah, the good old days where there were us, L.Joe, Sungjong, L op—”

Mina elbowed Naeun harshly; not that she meant to but she was shocked when Naeun carelessly mentioned the names of people that they should have forgotten. Naeun looked at Mina in bewilderment before she realised she had slipped up. She didn’t know why but her heart was beating fast.

Hyesun looked at the changed expressions of the two, “Who are Sungjong and what’s the letter again? N? L?” she pretended to remember the name when she knew all along it was L.

Once again, Mina and Naeun sent each other uncomfortable stares. At that time, they went blank on how to answer Hyesun when they could easily make up simple excuses. Right at the moment, the bell rang; signalling lunch time was over.

Saved by the bell. Mina picked up her tray, “Let’s get back to the class.” Naeun did the same and Hyesun had to too.

Hyesun looked at her friends. So they knew what happened among L and L.Joe. They were once close with Sungjong and L too. But it seems like they’re siding with L.Joe. Why would they believe in a murderer? There must be a reason why